PDA

View Full Version : If this was you first trip to the DCC Please Report on your experence

CocoboloCowboy
01-12-2008, 08:34 AM
As next year, (for those living in Rio Linda, California) http://www.geocities.com/cocobolocowboy/cheers.gif That is January 2009. A buddy and I are planning on going to the DCC in The Blue Grass State.http://www.geocities.com/cocobolocowboy/broccoli.gif

I was hoping that those who went to the DCC for the very first would share what they wish they had know, would have done differently if they had on known on their first DCC trip.http://www.geocities.com/cocobolocowboy/thanx.gif

You old times can chime is also. http://www.geocities.com/cocobolocowboy/thumbsup.gif

rope_one
01-12-2008, 08:51 AM
This was my first trip and all I can say is plan before hand and take the tips from the board. For example:

- Pay to play in AZ room, its available and if your playing in the tourney at all, it gives you a chance to calm the nerves and get comfortable

- If you have some game at least enter one of the mini's if not the banks tourney; you never know who you will draw and it could be a great story

- Bring beverages, etc, leaving the room with what you want in the morning is nice

- Extended stays = a trip somewhere else to eat, food is limited menu and does get old eventually. Grab some directions from map quest before hand to your favorite place, etc

- Take in everything, action room, ring games, the mini's, not just the main tournament, theres so much going on - ALL the time - thats the amazing part

I was there for 2.5 days and it definitely was not enough! I have been trying to get my fix through the action report afterwards and its great, but its not the same

Don't be suprised at how many people you will know and how many great match ups you will get to see.

CocoboloCowboy
01-12-2008, 08:58 AM
This was my first trip and all I can say is plan before hand and take the tips from the board. For example:

- Pay to play in AZ room, its available and if your playing in the tourney at all, it gives you a chance to calm the nerves and get comfortable

- If you have some game at least enter one of the mini's if not the banks tourney; you never know who you will draw and it could be a great story

- Bring beverages, etc, leaving the room with what you want in the morning is nice

- Extended stays = a trip somewhere else to eat, food is limited menu and does get old eventually. Grab some directions from map quest before hand to your favorite place, etc

- Take in everything, action room, ring games, the mini's, not just the main tournament, theres so much going on - ALL the time - thats the amazing part

I was there for 2.5 days and it definitely was not enough! I have been trying to get my fix through the action report afterwards and its great, but its not the same

Don't be suprised at how many people you will know and how many great match ups you will get to see.

Thanks for your tips.http://www.geocities.com/cocobolocowboy/thumbsup.gif

What was the cost to, "play in AZ room"?

I want to enter the mini 1 hole....:)

rope_one
01-12-2008, 09:02 AM
$25 there is a sign up in the dcc tourney area forum

CocoboloCowboy
01-12-2008, 10:50 AM
$25 there is a sign up in the dcc tourney area forum

$25.00 Fee for the AZ Room.

CocoboloCowboy
01-12-2008, 05:03 PM
I am http://www.geocities.com/cocobolocowboy/bumpthread.gif this thread in hopes that other DCC first timers reply. http://www.geocities.com/cocobolocowboy/beatdeadhorse.gif

MrGreenChalk
01-13-2008, 09:16 AM
I too would like to hear about the first timers experiences. Good, and bad, and only if I knew.

Cornerman
01-13-2008, 10:21 AM
Unfortunately, since next year's DCC will change venues, a lot of these tips might be moot. We'll all be learning thins anew next year.

But, everyone should go. No question about it. If you're into pool and pool action, this is the one to go to.

Fred

bfdlad
01-13-2008, 10:32 AM
So where will it be next year?

thepavlos
01-13-2008, 10:58 AM
Hi Fred
Where's it supposed to be next year?
Paul

Cornerman
01-13-2008, 11:29 AM
Hi Fred
Where's it supposed to be next year?
Paul
Possibly at the convention center Expo across the street. The Executive Inn is being torn down, and the Executive West is getting major renovations.

Fred

Da Poet
01-13-2008, 12:38 PM
I had a great time. The AZ room was great. Got to say hello to Williebetmore, Russ Chewning and his lovely wife, Hal, BigDaddyG, JoeyA, and Joey from Indiana, Cornerman, BoraDriver, and Curlyscues. Chatted with Jeanette Lee for a while about jump cues, got some great tips.

Played Truman Hogue in the first round of the Nine Ball tourney and won 7-4. That was the highlight of my trip. Just started playing pool about three years ago, so I would have been happy just getting a rack or two on someone like that. Having the AZ room there for warm up helped a lot! I played as well as I ever have, didn't give him a real shot, and was up 4-0 pretty quickly. It was rack your own and my hands were shaking like crazy from the adrenaline. I had to use my arms to push my hands into the rack extra hard so no one could see my fingers wobbling. lol

Wasn't expecting to play in the second round (Shayne Morrow)after I found out it actually started the next day so late and I had a plane to catch, but the whole flight thing got screwed up and I called a friend at the tourney and he said they just called me and I had fifteen minutes to get back. So I left my cue at the airport because it was already checked in, hopped in a cab, got to the tourney in 8 minutes, borrowed my buddy's cue, and lagged! lol The cue was an inch shorter than mine and a solid maple shaft and I couldn't adjust quick enough, but still hung in there for a respectable 4-7 loss. I was leaving shots soft and missed some easy ones while dialing in on the deflection differences, but it was still a lot of fun! Raced back to airport and left town.

Next time, I'm clearing my schedule for the whole week! I'll be back!

cubswin
01-13-2008, 12:42 PM
I think it'd be funny to see ole poolsleuth bruce in the az room. If he is like he has been online I bet you can't shut him up long enough to shoot.

sde
01-13-2008, 12:58 PM
Possibly at the convention center Expo across the street. The Executive Inn is being torn down, and the Executive West is getting major renovations.

Fred

I'm only repeating what was told to me by an employee of Executive West and I do not know if there is any truth to it.

The employee told me that the DCC would be held at the Clarion next year.

Steve

CocoboloCowboy
01-13-2008, 03:07 PM
I had a great time. The AZ room was great. Got to say hello to Williebetmore, Russ Chewning and his lovely wife, Hal, BigDaddyG, JoeyA, and Joey from Indiana, Cornerman, BoraDriver. Chatted with Jeanette Lee for a while about jump cues, got some great tips.

Played Truman Hogue in the first round of the Nine Ball tourney and won 7-4. That was the highlight of my trip. Just started playing pool about three years ago, so I would have been happy just getting a rack or two on someone like that. Having the AZ room there for warm up helped a lot! I played as well as I ever have, didn't give him a real shot, and was up 4-0 pretty quickly. It was rack your own and my hands were shaking like crazy from the adrenaline. I had to use my arms to push my hands into the rack extra hard so no one could see my fingers wobbling. lol

Wasn't expecting to play in the second round (Shayne Morrow)after I found out it actually started the next day so late and I had a plane to catch, but the whole flight thing got screwed up and I called a friend at the tourney and he said they just called me and I had fifteen minutes to get back. So I left my cue at the airport because it was already checked in, hopped in a cab, got to the tourney in 8 minutes, borrowed my buddy's cue, and lagged! lol The cue was an inch shorter than mine and a solid maple shaft and I couldn't adjust quick enough, but still hung in there for a respectable 4-7 loss. I was leaving shots soft and missed some easy ones while dialing in on the deflection differences, but it was still a lot of fun! Raced back to airport and left town.

Thanks for the nice report on your experence. http://www.geocities.com/cocobolocowboy/thanx.gif

jodamit
01-13-2008, 07:35 PM
This year was my first
HAD a BLAST!!
with just what was happening in the action room made a little money on side action on some banks, went to the 1 pocket hall of fame dinner,played some real good players that i wanted to try my luck with, didnt do any good but its only money.
My friend and I will be there next year no matter where it is,
just my small piece of the pie, my advice for everyone you need to go to see it..
joe

HollyWood
01-13-2008, 08:48 PM
best place to get a sandwhich with german pot,salad'coleslaw,pulled beef plate or whatever (Franks 2.00 sandwhich 12 pieces of ham or roastbeef) He is located at 3342 Preston Street. About 2 blocks away- A definte must eat at. Its an old style meat market. Fruit as well. I traveled 722 miles one way. Shane van Boning is the local hero and was a hero in dcc. the televison table games were lopsided. Ronney Allen and the mime both had great stories to tell. I watched and followed Mark Tad, gabe,cory,john,and many others. Saw plenty of money exchange hands. But I did have a watchful eye. stayed at the Sleep Inn 55.00, king size bed, refrig, microw Plenty of hot water. Guido the cue mechinac and I became friends. Jimmyrack- Joss West was the best of show hands down. I hand it in my hands (his investment cue-worth every thousand). Thank you sir it's beauty was beyond words. Mike ( Omega) was vey nice as well, I bought my Gilbert at the Hopkins Show from Mike 07. I spoke with mike about becoming a rep- for Kamui tips. I spoke with cue makers about a deal for shane Jacoby will build cues, others would give him cues as well Only 1 company has offered cash-cue tech. I did look find Jay and fatboy- jay was enjoyable- eric didn't seem so friendly. It was my first time at the derby. but I have been to others hence feeling pefectly at home. Sweet time Next yr is at the Fair Grounds, the attempt is like Johnson city all under one roof mark

curlyscues
01-14-2008, 07:42 AM
I had a great time. The AZ room was great. Got to say hello to Williebetmore, Russ Chewning and his lovely wife, Hal, BigDaddyG, JoeyA, and Joey from Indiana, Cornerman, BoraDriver, and Curlyscues. Chatted with Jeanette Lee for a while about jump cues, got some great tips.

wow, that's pretty cool.

and it was a pleasure to meet you and hear some of your original poetry too.;)

M.C.

kevin s
01-14-2008, 08:26 AM
I wasn't my first time to the derby but this year I was there the whole event. I normally just come up for the 9-ball. After being there for a couple of days I decided to get out and find some new places to eat. It's fairly easy getting around the area. Also we went over to the Louisville Billiard Club a couple of nights to play. They have a nice room. My friend Tony Crosby roomed with me this year and I enjoyed the practice time with him.

Fairly early on I started hearing some complaining from the players about various things. I never try to get into that sort discussion. I know that there was and will be problems with an event that big. But tell me any other tournament that draws 400 plus players in banks , one pocket and 9-ball. I realize Vegas has league events that size but not in all games. I kind of left this year feeling a bit down. I know that this era of the Derby is over. It will never be the same. I overheard some ideas they have for new locations. A member of the Executive management said the room rates there would be around 200 a night after the renovation. So even if it was still there I wouldn't pay that.

I am excited to see what the future will hold for the Derby City Classic. I have listened to the interview with Greg Sullivan. I believe in him. He is quite capable in growing this event and correcting the problems. Arriving on the first day of the event I went straight to register for the mini tournaments. I was told they were all full. So next year if they move to a larger location with more tables, I hope they have multiple mini tournaments every night. They need a mini tournament team and run two a night. IMHO.

All in all I had a great time!:) I enjoyed seeing some old friends and making some new ones to boot. Also I enjoyed my dinner with Bill Porter , Mike Haines , Jay Helfert , George Fels and Madcity (Mark). We went to Ruth Chris steak house and the meal was great. This year was one I will always remember as the best.

Kevin
01-15-2008, 01:13 AM
Great event, it is pool players old home week. All the characters from the pool world show up, and even if you don't know their names, you know the types, young guns, pro's, shifty gamblers/hucksters, good ole boys, bullshitters and railbirds, etc. on through the pantheon of types.

-Get a room at the site so hotel elevator is your greatest travel...
-get out and find cheaper/different food/beer.. say the bowling alley across the street
-all rooms, tournament, accu-stats, upstairs, AZ, 1p and straight pool challenge, action room, bar + karaoke, across the street 3C and Artistic pool action, 1P hall of fame dinner, etc. Take it all in.
-don't be shy. Look everybody (young, old, guys, gals, pro's etc.)
in the eye and get to know them and have fun. 50 new friends in 2 days isn't bad.

Da Poet
01-15-2008, 11:52 AM
wow, that's pretty cool.

and it was a pleasure to meet you and hear some of your original poetry too.;)

M.C.

Thanks! It was great meeting you as well!

As far as the poety goes, well, what happens in Louisville stays in Louisville. :D

CocoboloCowboy
01-15-2008, 12:52 PM
Sounds like everyone had a BLAST.

buffalo bill
01-15-2008, 03:18 PM
a dog was allowed in the restaurant and on the tables in the pool room and also bit a waitress in the restaurant. not good. the tournament was great!!

Kevin
01-15-2008, 11:35 PM
Gabe Owen brought his rottwieler, said the hotel was OK if you paid a damage deposit up front.... most dogs don't tear up rooms, some do, ask about my grandpa's Wiemaroner Rudy that got pissed off locked in a car and dug out the back seat. Berry Berhman also showed up with a pet, as did a couple others.

VietSoClassic
01-16-2008, 02:13 AM
MOVE IT TO HOUSTON, TEXAS

Do it at the George R. Brown Center!

CocoboloCowboy
01-16-2008, 04:40 AM
a dog was allowed in the restaurant and on the tables in the pool room and also bit a waitress in the restaurant. not good. the tournament was great!!

Fast Larry's Wonder Dog?

HIRUN526
01-16-2008, 10:44 AM
This was my first itme and all I can say is.....
"if you want to see,feel and experience real pool" this is it.

If you love being around real darn good pool players,
If you love real darn good action,
If you love talking about pool and pool cues,
If you love looking at pool cues,
If you love meeting the top players in the world,

If you'd love to have an opportunity to compete on the same table with a world champion(s),

Hell, if you just love pool................

The Derby City Classic is the greastest pool venue in the world and it is the place to be,