PDA

View Full Version : DCC experience

dpence
01-13-2008, 11:43 PM
I just returned from the Derby with some not so great news for the pool community. I was not staying at the Execeutive West and was about 15 minutes away. On Monday night/ Tuesday morning after arriving to our hotel at 3am, our room had been accessed and all of our things were stolen, the room looked like a tornado hit it. 7 cues, 2 laptops, Logitech wireless optical mouse, one external hard drive one Canon Rebel XTi camera with extra Tamron 28-300 lens and 2 iPods and headphones. There were 5 Tim prince cues stolen, 3 high end pointed and 2 Sneaky Petes, 1 Frey SP Bacote with ivory butt cap and a Bludworth SP without joint collars, 1 Instroke 3x7 black and maroon, 1 J&J 3x5(Pro Series style) and 1 3x6 Porper. This was my first trip to the Derby and needless to say not a pleasing one. I ask that everyone please keep their eyes and ears open on these style cues and contact me if anyone comes across them. As well as here, you can also reach me by cell at 321-438-3605. Please, if anyone has information regarding this event or these cues, contact me. Thank you for reading.

jay helfert
01-14-2008, 12:03 AM
Where were you staying? I think it would be good to warn others about this hotel/motel. I did not hear of any thing like this happening at the Executive West. And I saw cues/cases laying around in the lobby area unattended in the wee hours. I turned one in to the front desk. How it didn't get stolen I don't know.

av84fun
01-14-2008, 12:04 AM
I just returned from the Derby with some not so great news for the pool community. I was not staying at the Execeutive West and was about 15 minutes away. On Monday night/ Tuesday morning after arriving to our hotel at 3am, our room had been accessed and all of our things were stolen, the room looked like a tornado hit it. 7 cues, 2 laptops, Logitech wireless optical mouse, one external hard drive one Canon Rebel XTi camera with extra Tamron 28-300 lens and 2 iPods and headphones. There were 5 Tim prince cues stolen, 3 high end pointed and 2 Sneaky Petes, 1 Frey SP Bacote with ivory butt cap and a Bludworth SP without joint collars, 1 Instroke 3x7 black and maroon, 1 J&J 3x5(Pro Series style) and 1 3x6 Porper. This was my first trip to the Derby and needless to say not a pleasing one. I ask that everyone please keep their eyes and ears open on these style cues and contact me if anyone comes across them. As well as here, you can also reach me by cell at 321-438-3605. Please, if anyone has information regarding this event or these cues, contact me. Thank you for reading.

WOW! REALLY sorry to hear that! I HOPE you have insurance...and not rubbing it in if you don't. But many people don't realize that many homeowners policies cover your property when you are traveling...BUT...you normally have to have a rider (floater) on your policy specifically itemizing such items as were stolen from you.

You also MAY have recourse against the hotel for negligence in not properly securing your room. But again, you have to be able to prove what was stolen.

Most states set ridiculously low limits of liability on hoteliers BUT...if they don't properly disclose those limits...like if they are in fine print and not made obvious to the renter, then those limits can be voided in court.

Here are a couple of articles...from Conde Nast and the N.Y. Times.

Regards,
Jim

Conde Nast

The topic of theft from hotel rooms crops up frequently in letters Ombudsman receives. Unfortunately, hotels enjoy very limited liability?sometimes only a few hundred dollars?for valuables stolen on the property. In addition, that liability usually extends only to items stored in the front-desk safe, not the in-room safe. Luckily for Sgroi, upon hearing of the theft, the Ripa's manager did appear eager to resolve his grievance, even if the hotel was not technically liable for his loss. But his promises to help started to ring hollow, given the hotel's failure to act. So we contacted the Ripa, hoping that a little prodding might move things along.

Six weeks after Ombudsman's initial correspondence, the manager wrote to Sgroi to inform him that a full refund was imminent. A month later, his money, less $30 in bank fees, was wired to his account in the United States. Because of the inconvenience and delay?ten months had elapsed since the theft?the hotel also offered the couple a free seven-night stay.

N.Y. Times
Things that cannot or will not be put into a safe should be covered by an insurance floater, he continued. Then if there is a loss, you file a claim with the insurance company and let them do battle to establish that the hotel was negligent, or failed to print the limit of liability in big enough type or posted the liability notice in some peculiar spot, actions that can upcap the liability limit.

dpence
01-14-2008, 12:51 PM
just want more people to see this