PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone have experience with playing with a Dominiak Cue?

BLADEPXE
01-14-2008, 02:02 PM
I was looking at their website and the cues are priced really nice, was wondering how they played though. are they considered custom or production?

hang-the-9
01-14-2008, 02:09 PM
A few people in my local hall have them. They play a bit dead to me, but construction is top level. However I'm used to a cue with lots of feel to it with a pretty flexible shaft, someone who hits with a Predator or such may like it more. I have hit with several models both with a regular and laminated shaft, and a regular and spliced butt. If you like the hit of a solid cue, for the price I think it's as well constructed as any. As with any cue, find one to try if you can. As I posted before, trying to pick a cue on other people's opinion of hit is like trying to pick out new glasses for you based on what other people wear.

NervousNovice
01-14-2008, 02:16 PM
My friend purchased a WD1020 the basic model during the hype of Dominiak in this forum and he is not happy with his cue. The joint is easier to come loose relative to his other cues. The ferrule radius is a hair larger than the shaft i.e. they are not flushed. I tried it out. In terms of feel and preference, I agree that it plays a bit dead and the butt is heavy i.e. backward balanced.

After awhile, he changed back to his McDermott basic model.

asmith74
01-14-2008, 02:34 PM
Love my sweet 16. I don't use any of my production cues anymore. I agree that just because i love it doesn't mean you will. The construction and hit are awesome. I haven't had any issues with the joint at all. Maybe they put more time into the sweet 16 over the less expensive models, I have no idea. Worth every cent IMO. Good Luck.

BLADEPXE
01-14-2008, 03:15 PM
The thing is that I wanted to order a Schmelke and I came across this cue, thats why I was wondering how it played. I was curious if it played/was constructed better or was than a Schmelke. Both cues will run me about the same money, but which would play better. I actually wanted to have a stiffer hitting cue.

tom haney
01-14-2008, 03:58 PM
Blade, 2 of the 3 guys said it felt dead. I always said my was just way too stiff for me, but dead might be a better description.
I have one he made before he quit making them for a while, and it just doesn't do anything for me.
I have read others say on here they really like them.

Double-Dave
01-14-2008, 04:05 PM
I play with one most of the time, a 1020 model.
It plays quiet with the uncapped ferrule and triangle,
but I wouldn't call it dead.

Fit is ok, not great the finish is quite good I think.
I have had a custom ordered schmelke sneaky and would
rate their fit and finish a noth below Dominiak.
Bill often has a few ready ones on his website,
check them out, the ringed models are also very nice.
They usually come with quite nice shafts since
Dominiak sells alot of shaftwood and has much to chose from.

gr. Dave

pocketspeed
01-14-2008, 04:08 PM
i have 2 and am waiting on my 3rd (made to exactly my specs) and my son plays with one. these cues hit great. a nice stiff hit. i wouldnt describe it as "dead" at all. the "dominator" shaft hits as well on my son's cue as one of his buddies who has a 314^2. yep awesome cue for the $$. bill can take a while to finish your cue but its worth the wait. i dont think you'll be disappointed.

brian

vLude99
01-14-2008, 04:18 PM
I bought a Sweet 16 last year. Coming from a forward weighted, regular shaft Lucasi, I didn't like the Sweet 16 at all. However, I started playing with it more and after I got used to it, it felt good...in fact..it felt really good. The laminate shaft is a nice stiff hit, and the spliced butt is really stiff too. I've called them and he said that people were complaining that his cues were too stiff so starting with mine, he turned down the shaft to 12.65mm to give it a little more flex. Mine is a 12.65 and I have a Hercules tip on it. I love it but that's just my opinion. Also, I've never tried his other models so I can't say for them but for the Sweet 16, I recommend.

Caromsoft
01-14-2008, 05:44 PM
I play with the WD1020 and have had no problems whatsoever with the joint.

shinobi
01-14-2008, 06:18 PM
I had one of the older models and wasn't enthused about the hit, either. But some people love 'em. How's that for a helpful answer? :D

raemondo
01-14-2008, 08:14 PM
I bought the cheapest dominiak one, was dead IMO

Ballistic Billiards
01-15-2008, 12:49 AM
I had a sweet sixteen and loved it.

andywho
01-26-2008, 10:31 PM
i play with a Dominiak but its custom and its the only one made. i got a predator shaft instead and it plays great!!

SUPERSTAR
01-26-2008, 11:25 PM
i figured that it was cheap enough, and got myself a 1020 to my specs, and it was at my door in no time.

It hits so good, that there are at LEAST 6 people in the room i play at that were totally taken back by the playability of the cue, vs. how much i spent on it.

Way i see it. It's cheap enough to just take a shot, and if it turns out that you don't like it, you can always sell it for what you payed for it, cause no one knows that they are so damn inexpensive.

pern13
01-30-2008, 11:13 AM
have a 1020 bought within last year second rate in materials and craftsmanship, in my opinion. Older Dominiaks play well. Newer ones are not worth it in my opinion.

kildegirl
02-02-2008, 06:42 AM
I was looking at their website and the cues are priced really nice, was wondering how they played though. are they considered custom or production? any cue stick will pocket balls, it is the player who pockets balls, not the stick.