PDA

View Full Version : What is your primary objective?

Tennesseejoe
01-28-2008, 11:17 AM
What is your primary objective for playing pool?

1. To make money?
2. To get better at the game?
3. To beat another person?
4. To have fun?
5. To gamble?
6. Other

cleary
01-28-2008, 11:19 AM
to get sponsored by cuetec

easy-e
01-28-2008, 11:20 AM
1. and 4.

Depending on the situation

Probably 4. But the reason I post on this forum..........see above avatar:D

easy-e
01-28-2008, 11:20 AM
Dammit Cleary! Now it looks like I have a cue fettish!

9 on the snap
01-28-2008, 11:21 AM
Have Fun, Gamble, Drink, Repeat.:D

BVal
01-28-2008, 11:23 AM
I would say #2. I just want to be the best I can be at the game.

catscradle
01-28-2008, 11:33 AM
I picked 2, but consider 2 & 4 part and parcel of each other.

ugotda8
01-28-2008, 11:34 AM
Not that I don't play for all the other reasons too.

But, I just Love the game and enjoy being around most of the people who play it well or talk it even better.

One hole, 14.1, 9-ball, 10-ball, Snooker, 8-ball...I love them all. Heck I have even been known to play GOLF on a the 10' snooker tables but without all the wind and rain. (I think BPG24 will appreciate this one) :) LOL

If all I get in return from this game is the self satisfaction of learning something new or just having a good time...I am happy.

It also led me to all of you. Don't know what I would do without my AZ fix each day. :D

CocoboloCowboy
01-28-2008, 11:34 AM

1. To make money?
4. To have fun?
5. To gamble?
6. Other

A Plus Rep. Point, and a http://www.geocities.com/cocobolocowboy/goodpost.gif

Thunderball
01-28-2008, 11:35 AM
I said 2...but thats just so I can do 5 a little stronger and more often.That said,If 5 goes well then number 1 is in play no?

But if it weren't for 4,I'd never bother.

So pretty much anything but 3......If I get 2 done right, I'll beat em all. ;)

poolplayer2093
01-28-2008, 11:43 AM

1. To make money?
4. To have fun?
5. To gamble?
6. Other

To not snap my cue in half every time i leave the table

catscradle
01-28-2008, 11:52 AM
To not snap my cue in half every time i leave the table

an admirable goal. :)

ugotda8
01-28-2008, 11:54 AM
Lucky for you, I post 13 times a day. LOL

I love how her legs go all the way up to her hips and make an A$$ out of themselves.

You are right...Alba ain't got nuthin on dat.

Your Avatar makes it difficult to read your posts though. Drool and all that.

Just goes to show us that God definitely has a warped sense of humor. Who else would run a dang septic system through such a nice playground?

:D

BigCat
01-28-2008, 12:00 PM

1. To make money?
4. To have fun?
5. To gamble?
6. Other

What is your primary objective... #6 - Other:

"To crush the enemy
See them driven before you
And hear the lamentations of their women" :eek:

Conan The Barbarian

trustyrusty
01-28-2008, 12:05 PM
I answered other...I like the competition, and sure I'd like to improve, but mainly I play so I don't sit home on Thurs. nights while the wife is at Bible-study.

crappoolguy
01-28-2008, 02:11 PM
I voted 2 but 4 as well. I want to be a world beater.

leehayes
01-28-2008, 02:14 PM
I like to have fun and meet new people...but the reason I practice...especially as much as I do(not that it helps) is that I want people to fear my game. Not me...just my game. Don't care about money or anything else in that respect.

Cue Freak
01-28-2008, 03:21 PM
Definitely to get better. Everyone always has room for improvement!!

fan-tum
01-28-2008, 03:39 PM
The ongoing quest to find out why I can't play like I think I should.

BRKNRUN
01-28-2008, 04:33 PM

1. To make money?
4. To have fun?
5. To gamble?
6. To post on AZBilliards
7. Other

Jimmy M.
01-28-2008, 04:44 PM
Crush your enemy, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.

imo

EDIT: CRAP! Someone beat me to it!

matcase
01-28-2008, 05:07 PM
Have fun. Even on the days I'm now working on some facet to get better, I'm playing for enjoyment.

AnitoKid
01-28-2008, 06:50 PM
2 and 4 - and I kid you not! :)

renard
01-28-2008, 06:55 PM
What is your primary objective... #6 - Other:

"To crush the enemy
See them driven before you
And hear the lamentations of their women" :eek:

Conan The Barbarian

I was thinking the same thing Big Cat, here ya go:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6304245397484202050&q=conan+the+barbarian&total=594&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=8

Bugz
01-28-2008, 06:58 PM
other

State/National Champion

BigCat
01-29-2008, 12:57 AM
I was thinking the same thing Big Cat, here ya go:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6304245397484202050&q=conan+the+barbarian&total=594&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=8

Rep to you for posting the clip!!! I love that saying.

And it really is my "primary objective" :cool:

berlowmj
01-29-2008, 01:30 AM
especially to achieve position & break clusters

Catahula
01-29-2008, 02:01 AM
For me it was other only because all of the rest were also part of why I play...
I play because of the way that I am wired pyschologically. I am a creative, right-brained lateral thinking type of individual. Billiards provides an outlet for me. For me,every time I approach the table I am given this huge chess match that I get to try and solve. And in doing so I also get to use a tool that was designed for this exact purpose. So now, to play at the top of our game we must have a wedding of the cerebral and the physical.
The game, for me, transcends sport and moves into the realm of art for certainly, when a player is at his best, he is an artist circling this giant chess board, moving his armies about, weighing defensive and offensive options all the time.
Of course there is the other part of me that just wants to beat this person into the ground to the point they sell their cue and give up pool...:D

RunoutalloverU
01-29-2008, 03:44 AM
I play to get better so I can gamble with another person, beat them, then I can make money and go have fun.

Oddball
01-29-2008, 11:00 AM
My primary objective? Well, I primarily object to taking a woman out to dinner and a movie and then she won't put out.... -
- Emmitt Fitzhume (Spies Like Us)

#3 Beat my opponent. Doesn't matter what level he is or I am, just win.

Mike Templeton
01-29-2008, 11:07 AM
It's therapeutic for me. I can have a really bad day, and be in the $hittie$t of moods, then hit balls for about 30 minutes and feel like a new person.

Mike

catscradle
01-29-2008, 11:15 AM
Exactly!!!!!

I normally play for fun nowadays, mainly due to it being such a great release. Golf is the same way, it makes you forget about everything else and just enjoy yourself

Golf, a release??? I guess that's a personality thing. When I was a 15 year old caddie (do caddies exist anymore) watching people putting balls in the woods, water hazards, and generally places they don't belong, I said this game is not for me. I'd spend the whole time cursing if I played golf.

Flettir
01-29-2008, 11:45 AM
4 For years I only played for fun. I was never into gambling but I have always loved the game for it's strategy and the artistry of it.

Then I got beaten. I had been beaten before but this was different. It was by my son who had for years looked up to his dad as a great pool player.

2 I put this down to as my reason. I still play for number 4 but I need to improve my game a lot so I am reading books and practicing for the first time for something I had always thought of as just for fun.

3 I am practicing to get good enough to beat my son once more. Then I will be happy and go back to 4, just for fun.

PS for any of you who know who my son is, you know I have a long road to hoe.

PPS for anyone who sees Mike regularly, tell him I am coming, not today or tomorrow, but it will happen.

pwd72s
01-29-2008, 11:51 AM
I picked 2, but consider 2 & 4 part and parcel of each other.

Me too, me too...I try to improve at anything I do, but fun is the main thing. If it stops being fun, I stop.

jgpool
01-29-2008, 03:18 PM
Number 6 Other: I strive to beat the table. I try not to think about the opponent. Just me and the table, Dead Stroke is where I'm headed. Doesn't happen often but it does happen and it is sweet. :D

on_snap
01-29-2008, 03:22 PM
hell i just like to gamble.. well i enjoy the competition

Samiel
01-29-2008, 04:07 PM
My primary objective is to have fun... and my secondary objective is to get better.

Tom M
01-29-2008, 04:11 PM
an admirable goal. :)

And one that I have failed at on a "very" bad day...:(

Tom M
01-29-2008, 04:23 PM
For me it was other only because all of the rest were also part of why I play...
I play because of the way that I am wired pyschologically. I am a creative, right-brained lateral thinking type of individual. Billiards provides an outlet for me. For me,every time I approach the table I am given this huge chess match that I get to try and solve.

It was definitely tough to pick one answer. I REALLY enjoy the game. I always have, even when I was just a banger. Now that I shoot a little better, I feel the same way, but think of it as a puzzle. Figure out how to run the rack with the skills that I have TODAY, and strive to improve the skills so that the puzzle will be easier TOMORROW.

Even though I mostly just practice at home these days, I just love to shoot.

Tom

Richm
01-29-2008, 04:53 PM
I play to get better but I wouldnt play if it was not fun.

Billy_Bob
01-30-2008, 07:44 AM
At first it was to have fun...

Then after losing many games, to get better...

Then after hearing conflicting and what seemed like wrong information from the locals in my area about HOW to get better, spending years on the internet trying to learn the CORRECT information about how to get better...

Then using this correct information to improve my playing...

And now back to having fun! (More fun when I can win and understand the game.)

JoeyA
02-01-2008, 09:04 AM
FINAL ANSWER: B - Get Better

That filters on down to Having fun. I would work at Getting Better less if it didn't satisfy me so well. Also, I don't really have to gamble but I enjoy that too but could easily live without it. I couldn't continue to play without playing in tournaments, which I think is the ultimate measuring stick of improvement or where you stand in the pecking order.

Nice thread. I could not have guessed that so such a large percentage of the forum would choose to Get Better. Bunch of over achievers, I guess. :D
JoeyA