PDA

View Full Version : Hello everyone...........

justapoolplayer
01-29-2008, 12:49 PM
I am new to the site, and I was wondering if anyone here plays tournaments in the tampa, FL area? I have been playing pool since I could stand over a table. I just recently have been thinking about stepping up my game and playing in some tournaments/leagues. I was hoping for someone that is playing in tournaments or that has played could give me some advise on how to go about getting started. Thanks in advance:)

!Smorgass Bored
01-29-2008, 01:00 PM
I am new to the site, and I was wondering if anyone here plays tournaments in the tampa, FL area? I have been playing pool since I could stand over a table. I just recently have been thinking about stepping up my game and playing in some tournaments/leagues. I was hoping for someone that is playing in tournaments or that has played could give me some advise on how to go about getting started. Thanks in advance:)

You could go to Capone's Billiards and Hammer Heads and have all your questions answered in person. They have Leagues and Tournaments at both locations.
Doug

justapoolplayer
01-29-2008, 01:05 PM
You could go to Capone's Billiards and Hammer Heads and have all your questions answered in person. They have Leagues and Tournaments at both locations.
Doug

I nowhere capones is, where's hammmerhead?

thanks,man.

r u playing tournament at either places?

!Smorgass Bored
01-29-2008, 01:32 PM
I know where Capones is, where's Hammmer Heads?

thanks,man.

r u playing tournament at either places?

I'm not playing tournaments or league at either place, but they're both great spots.
Hammer Heads is in Holiday, FL. Take U.S.19 south from County Line Road to Holiday and Hammer Heads is in a strip mall on your left. They have tournaments every night of the week (I think) or maybe every night but Thursday, which is League Night.
http://www.manta.com/comsite5/bin/pddnb_company.pl?pdlanding=1&referid=4490&id=6pm2n7
Click on MAP for an idea of their location or call the number in this link and ask for directions.
Doug
( farther down U.S.19 is Strokers and they both tournaments & league as well )

justapoolplayer
01-29-2008, 01:51 PM
love strokers!! I lived in Palm Harbor for 5 years and would go hangout and drink and play alot of 9-ball and 8-ball. Now that I live in BFE there is not much to do. Me and my neighbors have been shootin pool about 5-7 days a week for a couple of hours after work for about a year or so, and i am ready to see how I can do in real competition or a league. Is hammmerheads near bare assets?

Once again thanks for giving me the info

Josh

manwon
01-29-2008, 01:55 PM

Welcome aboard, this is the best site on the planet to gain useful information concerning pool and billiards. Many new members hesitate to join in to discussions, this is a mistake. Everyone has something to offer, and everyones opinion is important. New insight is what makes a discussion interesting and valuable and without it things get pretty boring.

Again Welcome, and have a great day!!!!!!

justapoolplayer
01-29-2008, 02:11 PM
Welcome aboard, this is the best site on the planet to gain useful information concerning pool and billiards. Many new members hesitate to join in to discussions, this is a mistake. Everyone has something to offer, and everyones opinion is important. New insight is what makes a discussion interesting and valuable and without it things get pretty boring.

Again Welcome, and have a great day!!!!!!

thanks man!

I really love playing pool! I am here to learn something new and make some new friends, and take some peoples money! j/k LOL:D

justapoolplayer
01-29-2008, 02:16 PM
I'm not playing tournaments or league at either place, but they're both great spots.
Hammer Heads is in Holiday, FL. Take U.S.19 south from County Line Road to Holiday and Hammer Heads is in a strip mall on your left. They have tournaments every night of the week (I think) or maybe every night but Thursday, which is League Night.
http://www.manta.com/comsite5/bin/pddnb_company.pl?pdlanding=1&referid=4490&id=6pm2n7
Click on MAP for an idea of their location or call the number in this link and ask for directions.
Doug
( farther down U.S.19 is Strokers and they both tournaments & league as well )

hey is planet 9-ball still open oldsmar?

poolhall maven
01-29-2008, 02:17 PM
justa, go to capones...it also is in BFE.
Just kidding, they are in springhill also and you are fortunate enough to reside in the land of many great poolplayers who play out of Capones. It is a nice room and Rocky the owner is a great guy.
Hammerheads and strokers are a little farther away for you, but they are really nice rooms too.!
I wish I lived on that side of the state, I'd be playing in a different poolroom every night!

poolhall maven
01-29-2008, 02:20 PM
I read a couple days ago planet 9 ball closed recently.

justapoolplayer
01-29-2008, 02:23 PM
I read a couple days ago planet 9 ball closed recently.

yea I looked up the number online and called it, and it was out of order?

just looking for confirmation,

thanks

justapoolplayer
01-29-2008, 02:27 PM
justa, go to capones...it also is in BFE.
Just kidding, they are in springhill also and you are fortunate enough to reside in the land of many great poolplayers who play out of Capones. It is a nice room and Rocky the owner is a great guy.
Hammerheads and strokers are a little farther away for you, but they are really nice rooms too.!
I wish I lived on that side of the state, I'd be playing in a different poolroom every night!

thanks, bro. Believe it or not I grow up a mile a way from Capones before they opened well at least until I was 14. Love strokers, lived like a mile away from there for 5 years, but wasn't thinking of taken pool seriously. Now that I am little bit older and my game is alot better it would be nice to know where I rate. Where you at?

Ed Simmons
01-29-2008, 02:39 PM
What's BFE?

justapoolplayer
01-29-2008, 02:51 PM
What's BFE?

bum f_ _ k egypt!:D

Ed Simmons
01-29-2008, 02:57 PM
bum f_ _ k egypt!:D
Thanks. I was racking my brain trying to figure it out.
I never would have come up with that!

Hope you find a good poolhall.

poolhall maven
01-29-2008, 03:43 PM
thanks, bro. Believe it or not I grow up a mile a way from Capones before they opened well at least until I was 14. Love strokers, lived like a mile away from there for 5 years, but wasn't thinking of taken pool seriously. Now that I am little bit older and my game is alot better it would be nice to know where I rate. Where you at?

I'm on the spacecoast, I have run ladies tournaments at Capones and I really love the room or should I say Rocky. He does so much for the sport of pool.
I also love, Strokers and Hammerheads as well, but you are so close to Capones. You also have a wealth of knowledge in that room and should hang out, make friends and try to learn from the people there.
The maven has spoken.
Good luck!

justapoolplayer
01-30-2008, 07:12 AM
Thanks. I was racking my brain trying to figure it out.
I never would have come up with that!

Hope you find a good poolhall.

no problem. It sounds like I got a good pool hall in my backyard.

justapoolplayer
01-30-2008, 07:13 AM
I'm on the spacecoast, I have run ladies tournaments at Capones and I really love the room or should I say Rocky. He does so much for the sport of pool.
I also love, Strokers and Hammerheads as well, but you are so close to Capones. You also have a wealth of knowledge in that room and should hang out, make friends and try to learn from the people there.
The maven has spoken.
Good luck!

Cool! thanks for the info. I will have to get my a$$ over there soon.

Billy_Bob
01-30-2008, 08:16 AM
In general, to find pool tournaments, ask the other players. Then go to each tournament you hear about and ask those players what tournaments they know about.

After doing this for awhile, you will learn where all the tournaments are.

Pool tournaments come and go and are not advertised well. Some are listed in local/regional billiards publications. But sometimes there will be a listing and the time of the tournament has changed or they no longer have the tournament. So always call before going.

There are all sorts of tournaments in pool halls and bars. These will vary greatly as to skill level of most of the players, the game played, and the rules. Various tournaments use modified rules, no rules, or strict BCA rules. So ask what the rules are before playing. Some are written, others are not written and will change from time to time.

At every pool tournament I have been to, the players are more than happy to answer questions about the tournament. Who breaks? Rules. How many games you play to determine the winner for each match. Like race to 1, race to 2, race to 3, etc. Or race to 2 on the winners side and race to 1 on the losers side - double elimination. This means you must win two games to win a match, but after you have lost one match, you go to the losers side and then must only win one game to win each match. If you lose two matches, you are out of the tournament. Etc. So ask away!

Some tournaments are on weeknights and will last late into the night. Might want to ask what time the tournament is usually over if you need to get up early the next day. Others are over more early.

Then some tournaments have mostly very very good players. Others will have mostly bar bangers/beginners. Others a mix of players. Once you start winning at an easy tournament, switch to a more difficult tournament. Then you are challenged and will be improving your playing.

BCA rule book...
http://www.poolndarts.com/p-4106--Billiard-Congress-of-America-BCA-Rule-Book-/

justapoolplayer
01-30-2008, 08:23 AM
In general, to find pool tournaments, ask the other players. Then go to each tournament you hear about and ask those players what tournaments they know about.

After doing this for awhile, you will learn where all the tournaments are.

Pool tournaments come and go and are not advertised well. Some are listed in local/regional billiards publications. But sometimes there will be a listing and the time of the tournament has changed or they no longer have the tournament. So always call before going.

There are all sorts of tournaments in pool halls and bars. These will vary greatly as to skill level of most of the players, the game played, and the rules. Various tournaments use modified rules, no rules, or strict BCA rules. So ask what the rules are before playing. Some are written, others are not written and will change from time to time.

At every pool tournament I have been to, the players are more than happy to answer questions about the tournament. Who breaks? Rules. How many games you play to determine the winner for each match. Like race to 1, race to 2, race to 3, etc. Or race to 2 on the winners side and race to 1 on the losers side - double elimination. This means you must win two games to win a match, but after you have lost one match, you go to the losers side and then must only win one game to win each match. If you lose two matches, you are out of the tournament. Etc. So ask away!

Some tournaments are on weeknights and will last late into the night. Might want to ask what time the tournament is usually over if you need to get up early the next day. Others are over more early.

Then some tournaments have mostly very very good players. Others will have mostly bar bangers/beginners. Others a mix of players. Once you start winning at an easy tournament, switch to a more difficult tournament. Then you are challenged and will be improving your playing.

BCA rule book...
http://www.poolndarts.com/p-4106--Billiard-Congress-of-America-BCA-Rule-Book-/

thanks for the info:)