PDA

View Full Version : OB-1 transition issues

jingle
01-30-2008, 10:17 AM
I have been using an OB-1 shaft on & off for a few months now (alternating with my Josey shaft). For the most part I can switch back and forth without any problems, but I have noticed a couple of lingering issues:

1) Miscues. With the OB-1 I can't go as close to the edge of the cueball as I can with my Josey. I haven't noticed this as much on side english, just on extreme draw or follow shots.

2) Swerve. The OB-1 produces a lot of swerve on extreme english shots, especially slow/soft shots. I played in a tourney a couple of weeks ago and gave up BIH twice because I completely missed the OB when trying a soft thin-hit safety using heavy english (due to swerve).

I'm not saying either shaft is better, because to be honest I'm still trying to decide that for myself. Just wondering if anyone else has similar experiences, or if it's just me?

worriedbeef
01-30-2008, 10:26 AM
2) Swerve. The OB-1 produces a lot of swerve on extreme english shots, especially slow/soft shots.

that's the only issue i have with mine too. but there again to be fair i haven't put in any proper practice with these shots to get a feel for them. the swerve i've noticed seems very consistent though and a few times i have thought about it before a shot, compensated with my aim, and been rewarded with a good hit.

on the issue of going close to the edge of the cue ball, are you using the saem tip on both shafts? with this issue the tip is a huge factor.

jingle
01-30-2008, 10:49 AM
on the issue of going close to the edge of the cue ball, are you using the saem tip on both shafts? .

No, I'm not. I have a Sniper on the Josey and a Triangle on the OB-1. In my case, I don't think that's the problem. I had miscue issues using the Talisman M that was on the OB-1 originally too. I have used Triangles & Snipers for many years and never had persistent miscue issues with either.

I'm wondering if the OB-1 light end-mass doesn't allow it to stay on the cue ball and push through it as well on extreme english shots? Almost like a ricochet effect?

Varney Cues
01-30-2008, 11:11 AM
Have you noticed Earl quit using them as well?

Runnin8
01-30-2008, 11:19 AM
I'm surprised about the miscues based on my experience. My remaining issue is also swerve. I have stopped trying English when I'm on the rail because I still can't judge the swerve even though I've been using the OB-1 for about 4 months now. In all other aspects I'm loving it!:D

David Beck
01-30-2008, 11:22 AM
The OB-1 is 12.75 mm. If your Josey is over 12.75 mm, you're hitting lower on the cue ball with the OB-1 than you think (in the case of draw).

deadwhak
01-30-2008, 11:23 AM
i havent practice with mine enough to notice to much..other than i draw my ball better and using inside english on one particular shot i do better..or maybe its just in my head....dont know...

cubc
01-30-2008, 11:24 AM
I want to steal my girlfriends 314-2. I still love the way it plays. I like my schon shaft still but the 314-2 seems to be loved by most.. and even I like it.

I never got to try the ob-1 because noone around here has one. But it sounds like perhaps an oldschool meucci shaft. Good but still whippy.

jingle
01-30-2008, 11:32 AM
The OB-1 is 12.75 mm. If your Josey is over 12.75 mm, you're hitting lower on the cue ball with the OB-1 than you think (in the case of draw).

Not a bad thought, but I don't think that is the answer either. I have 2 Josey shafts, the one I'm accustomed to is 12.75mm and the other is 12.50.

jingle
01-30-2008, 11:34 AM

Really? When/where did you see that KV?

Varney Cues
01-30-2008, 11:44 AM
Really? When/where did you see that KV?

He hasn't used one since the Mosconi Cup.;)

oldman58
01-30-2008, 11:50 AM
I have an OB1 on a Joss Cue and I have both the 314-2 and the Z-2 from Predator for my current Cue. I don't like either 314 or OB1 over the other. I do prefer the Z over both. With the OB1 I had a miscue problem with mines if I tried any extreme english on any part of the cue ball the first week until I took it back where I brought it and said take off whatever tip is on it and put on a Moori soft. Problem gone. I since have retired the Joss thus the OB1 also since I now shoot with a Predator P2 with both Predator shafts. I use the Z shaft mostly.

Fatboy
01-30-2008, 12:03 PM

he is 100% done with them, he told me personally. the conversation would look like this: Fatboy asks Earl "whadda ya think of it" he replied "That ^&#$%-$%#$$ ****, and $%$#$, can stick it @#%%@#$, its the %%&#@%$^#@" this went on for longer than that but you get the point, he kept getting redder and louder. I like Earl and he has alot of good points about alot of things in pool, and he cares about pool and its future, he made alot of good points about the past, present and future of our sport. He just gets intense when he is holding a cue, but when he isnt playing or is in a good mood he is cool. However I will not put that biz in the street, its against my ethics to speak for someone else or recite their opinions. I'm reluctant to even quote him here but its known by others so I decided to.

Jonn Schmit told me it took him a good 2 months to get used to it and he likes it, he did emphasize that it took more time and effort that he expected but was worth it, we were alone when he said this and he wasnt in a sales pitch situation where he had to say something good because he is being sponsered by them, he truely likes the product, that was my read. And again he knows me, alot about me and had no reason to not be honest with me. I like John he treats me very nice and I do him, as time passes and we get to know each other we will be good friends, I's going to invite him to play snooker at my house when the table is installed, I hope he lets me video it, we will work something out i'm sure. i hope I can help make him some $$$ with that plan. He dosent know of it, unless he sees this post, if you do John you know where to get my phone number and call me, i dont check voice mail.

So there are 2 testomonials of top players and what they told me one on one about the shaft, i would like to add Earl's shafts mike g. are making really dont have a taper, they are the about the same diameter until they are about 6"-8" from the joint collar, this is because earl has a long stroke and my guess it the Taper of the OB-1 wasnt working for him, also he has been playing with regular shafts for so long that usint a engeneered shaft was just 2 different for him, i dont know what shafts he used on the Cuetecs or if he used a regular shaft and just a Cuttec butt:confused: . My guess about John is he is younger and perhaps more adaptable because of his age or thats just the way he is, I am that way to to an extent, I can adjust to most any cue, but some players cant, were all different.

2 champions 2 opinions 100% true information as it was told to me.

Fatboy
01-30-2008, 12:12 PM
my experience using one, I put one on my Barry Szam and it fits ok, it dosent roll straight but that could be fixed by refacing the shaft....i think i'm not a cue maker, i wouldnt reface the joint for any shaft,

anyways I used it for a couple weeks and wow could I get alot of juice on the ball, usually too much and I couldnt get the hang of it, the cueball was going all over the place, i could create great angles, great force follow, draw etc but I never knew where the CB was gonna stop.

I asked John Schmit about that and he said "it was the same for him too". I guess thats why he took a couple months to adapt but once you have adapted to that there is alot more goodthings you can do with the CB,

I stopped using mine because the Derby was comming up and i needed to be ready for it and the difference from a regular shaft to the OB-1 is huge and there was no way I could have had time in 2 weeks to get adapted too it,

I'm gonna stick with the traditonal old school regular shafts, but if I didnt think the ob-1 was a good product I wouldnt have made these posts, its just not for me,

Fatboy
01-30-2008, 12:25 PM

he didnt have one in his case at the Mosconi cup to the best of my knowlege, i was in the players room and helped put his cues away the last night of the cup, and he showed me his stuff at my request, and there wasnt one in there that i could see, i didnt go digging around its not my stuff to do that with, we were talking and he started unscrewing his cues and i looked at a couple and broke one down for him, this was on the last day.up to the last day i dont know what he had in his case, by the way he talked about them it sounded like he made his mind up about them just prior to the M.Cup within a month at the most, i didnt ask when he changed his mind, i do more listing than talking with Earl, got to give him credit despite all the bad stuff people say about him, and i dont, he is a smart man. if I catch any heat for saying that about him, i'll defend my position. He just gets too intense sometimes and has had a few bad rolls in life but thats another story, but it is possible he did use one at the M.Cup but not the last day when he played great.

Back to the shafts he likes Mike G's work and says all top pros should use a real cue not the fiberglass Chinese stuff, he believes that "using a decent cue will earn a player more $$$ over time than getting a paycheck to endorse a POS in the short term" those are his words not mine, and do hold some weight I believe.

Anyone who would to pay me to endorse a cue must really hate $$$. LOL

CrownCityCorey
01-30-2008, 12:36 PM
Back to the shafts he likes Mike G's work and says all top pros should use a real cue not the fiberglass Chinese stuff, he believes that "using a decent cue will earn a player more $$$ over time than getting a paycheck to endorse a POS in the short term" those are his words not mine, and do hold some weight I believe.

Anyone who would to pay me to endorse a cue must really hate $$$. LOL

I won more money with my old Earl Strickland model CueTec than any other cue--'cept maybe my Ned Morris.

If CueTec picked me up as player rep paying my expenses, I would have no issue whatsoever playing with one.

By the way, Earl has not beaten anybody since going back to wood cues.

cbi1000
01-30-2008, 12:53 PM
i got a ob-1 and it took be about 20 minutes to adjust to it.

Because it took me about 20 minutes to put on a new snipper tip!

HOWEVER, i come from playing with Predator 314 and 314^2 shafts. I didn't have to get use to playing with low-def shafts.

I like the OB-1 because it seems to have a better feel to me.

Patrick Johnson
01-30-2008, 01:07 PM
This was my thought too, and it could also account for the extra swerve (hitting farther from center would do both).

I can't think of any reason for extra spin or swerve if you're hitting the same spot.

pj
chgo

frankncali
01-30-2008, 02:23 PM
The swerve issue .... can someone give me an example of a shot or two and how many times the sweve comes into play. I cant view the cuetable so just a written example will do.

I have gotten used to mine I guess. Without being overly consistent anyway I think its hard to get an exact read on it. I will say that I can get more english while aiming closer to center and that took alot of getting used to.

Another issue was (not sure if I can explain it) that the cue ball seemed to go through the OB more. Say if I had a slight cut into the side and I wanted to follow to the side rail and down. With my Predator it would hit the ball and deflect then go on its path to the rail. With the OB1 the CB goes through (straighter) the OB more and theres not as much defelction of the CB on its path. This actually took me a few months to get 100% used to. Likely just rebuilding my memory because truthfully I am only judging off of what the other shaft did.

I recommend straight swapping to it as well. I couldnt imagine trying to go between shafts especially if it was a classic wood shaft.

I dont think I have ever noticed the swerve problem but maybe I dont shoot many shots where it would come into play. Mini Masses are much easier and MUCH more easy to figure than with my Predator.

MJ_Ro
01-30-2008, 04:30 PM
I just bought a OB-1 shaft 1 month ago following all the hype about it. I hate predator shafts with a passion :), but still i said to myself if i don't try this i might regret it. And boy do i regret it.

I have a Schon cue for allmost 3 years now and like it. It has to be the best cue i have ever played with. I am in a country where you don't have many options when it comes to pool cues . There might be alot of other cues that could be better then my Schon but i don't have thousands of dollars to spend on cues ( the average monthly income here is 150-200$) .

So, back to the OB shaft. Boy this thing is like a wild animal, it's really hard to tame it , for me. When i'm trying to soft kill the ball , kill/spin the ball, hit dead center, the shaft just doesn't respond like i'm especting it to respond. It's just WILD. I can't find a better word for it.
If i can get away hitting just a bit off center with my schon , with the OB you get punished. I think you must have perfect fundamentals/stroke to be able to use one right. I don't and the shaft doesnt help me.

There's gonna be like 2-3 months of non stop tournaments in my country so i can't go into full mode practicing with the OB. But i'm ambitious and i want to give it a shot. Maybe change the tip (thos i had a Talisman M on my schon and liked it).

Hope i didn't make to many mistakes in spelling (english is not my native language) and you can forgive me beeing that long.

Newton
01-30-2008, 04:33 PM
I have played with a OB-1 now for some time and I can't play with anything else.... Going back to my Predators is simply like playing with a hard plastic-something-strange thingy. That's definitely subjective judgement.

I have however discovered the following:

*I play much more relaxed with my OB-1, simply because it gives me easier spin/english and I don't have to use so much force as I did on my old 314.

* Since the shaft gives me easier/better english, I DO NOT HIT AS EXTREME AS I DID WITH MY 314.... In other words I rarely go for extreme right/left side spin, just some modes adjusting from cue center is enough.

*Going less extreme gives me even less deflection.... Not everybody thinks on this, but try and see. Do you really need to hit 3 O'clock extreme ?

*The shaft has some swerve effect which for me is noticed when I try to swerve... I guess this is related to the increased spin/english

I missed some easy shots in the beginning and I'm not sure if it was my 314 which had given me a bad habit or if it was a "special" effect by the OB-1. After some beefy playing everything feels natural and I play less stressed when having to go for a hard draw shot, I simply do it without any effort.

Belive me, I have gone back to my 3pc of 314 shafts (they match a really nice Schon I played with which is now parked) and as mentioned, it feels so hard that I can't figure out how I played with them earlier.

However, OB-1 is not for everybody. I have the feeling that either people hate them or love them. I guess it depends on what you are used to. If you play with a shaft which demands some work to produce english, well you would need to adjust for a while... If it's to hard, then stay with you're old one. "Never change a winning team" some one said. I do not live by that, since I'm looking for something new to improve my game every day, even if it require some adjustments :-)

As mentioned, do use the same tips on the shafts you compare. I have two cues, same type of joints, same producer/manufacturer but different butt wood and construction. They do for sure not feel the same even if they both have OB-1.

My last comment on this is the following; My "playing" 314 shaft which was used a lot on my Schon, has totally changed character from when I received it. My 314 backup shaft (hardly used) is so different that you would not believe that both are 314. It's like the playing 314 shaft has softened up - a lot...

This is something which has not happened with my OB-1, which is for sure heavily used. It feels consistent and stable.

By the way, that Earl is not playing with the OB-1 is for me not a measure on anything. I tried a Cuetech one time, and I still can't understand how he played with that for all those years. I guess everybody has their own taste which we shall respect.

Change you're tip and play with it for a longer period and then go back. That's my advice.

N

JoeyInCali
01-30-2008, 04:35 PM
By the way, that Earl is not playing with the OB-1 is for me not a measure on anything. I tried a Cuetech one time, and I still can't understand how he played with that for all those years. I guess everybody has their own taste which we shall respect.
Only the butt was Cuetec.
The shafts were custom made.

Jule
01-30-2008, 04:44 PM
Hehehe, I remember Mike and Earl endorsing their newly developed "perfect" cue with OB-1.
Now Earl describes it as crap. So much for promises...

Klopek
01-30-2008, 05:06 PM

JoeyInCali
01-30-2008, 05:22 PM
Yes..... is the short answer.

The OB-1 like every shaft has deficiencies. Because of it whippiness, it tends to squirt on certain slow spinning shots.
That's not squirt.
That's swerve due to the cueball spinning faster than it's forward motion imo.

OB-1's weight is another issue. I have to add some weight in there so it won't mess up a friend's cue's balance.

worriedbeef
01-30-2008, 05:22 PM
Pardon my ignorance, but isn't this exactly what the OB-1 and other low deflection shafts were designed to do... allow for point and shoot ease, eliminating the need to compensate for swerve. I mean, if you find a new problem arising due to a low deflection shaft that forces you to make different adjustments, does that not defeat the purpose?. :confused:

Of note, I just bought an OB-1 from Troy a few weeks back, and I hate it. Anyone want a cheap Radial OB-1 witht the silver ring?.:)

i see your point, but swerve and deflection are two different things. low deflection shafts minimize deflection. swerve is a different effect altogether. the particular effect with the ob-1 is when you hit with say 3 o clock right english at a soft/medium speed. the cue ball will swerve to the right quite a bit. and the same for left english of course.

Patrick Johnson
01-30-2008, 05:28 PM
Klopek:
... isn't this exactly what the OB-1 and other low deflection shafts were designed to do... allow for point and shoot ease, eliminating the need to compensate for swerve.

BPG24:
Yes..... is the short answer.

I have to disagree. The OB-1 reduces (not eliminates) squirt (not swerve). Like squirt, swerve always happens with sidespin, and swerve counteracts the effect of squirt, but they're not caused by the same thing and increasing or reducing squirt has no effect on the amount of swerve you'll get. That's purely a function of how much sidespin and butt elevation you use.

The OB-1 like every shaft has deficiencies. Because of it whippiness, it tends to squirt on certain slow spinning shots.

I see the logic in this statement, but in tests whippiness doesn't seem to show any effect on the amount of squirt produced.

(I seem to have disagreed with you a few times lately, BP, but it's not intentional. Probably because we're both interested in the same things...)

pj
chgo

SPINDOKTOR
01-30-2008, 05:28 PM
Example of using swerve without jacking up

http://CueTable.com/P/?@3HYWS2IONy2POXT3cYWS3cbbn2kOXT2kRAH2kUIK3kWGg3kX pB4uCEP@

SPINDOKTOR

The swerve issue .... can someone give me an example of a shot or two and how many times the sweve comes into play. I cant view the cuetable so just a written example will do.

I have gotten used to mine I guess. Without being overly consistent anyway I think its hard to get an exact read on it. I will say that I can get more english while aiming closer to center and that took alot of getting used to.

Another issue was (not sure if I can explain it) that the cue ball seemed to go through the OB more. Say if I had a slight cut into the side and I wanted to follow to the side rail and down. With my Predator it would hit the ball and deflect then go on its path to the rail. With the OB1 the CB goes through (straighter) the OB more and theres not as much defelction of the CB on its path. This actually took me a few months to get 100% used to. Likely just rebuilding my memory because truthfully I am only judging off of what the other shaft did.

I recommend straight swapping to it as well. I couldnt imagine trying to go between shafts especially if it was a classic wood shaft.

I dont think I have ever noticed the swerve problem but maybe I dont shoot many shots where it would come into play. Mini Masses are much easier and MUCH more easy to figure than with my Predator.

Klopek
01-30-2008, 05:41 PM

Patrick Johnson
01-30-2008, 11:35 PM
Swerve, squirt. My point always seems to get lost when I use one wrong term. The day someone lets it slide I'll have a coronary.

Sure, anybody should be able to tell you mean reduce squirt when you say eliminate swerve, right? What's the difference?

pj
chgo

ShaneT58
01-31-2008, 01:24 AM
Swerve, squirt. My point always seems to get lost when I use one wrong term. The day someone lets it slide I'll have a coronary.:D

My true point is this. If you develop new "issues" with a shaft designed to make your life easier, than wouldn't it just be better to compensate with a traditional shaft?. At least then you can walk into a room, pick up a house cue and still feel comfortable.

I've never liked any of the low deflection shafts but decided to give the OB-1 a chance figuring it may be the exception to the rule. Just found that I really hate it.

I don't see the point in this statement. I've played with low deflection shafts for years and have no problem playing with house cues or other cues at all. And isn't the point of having your own cue that you don't have to use house cues anymore. I can't remember the last time I had to play with a house cue for anything other than going out drinking (not to play pool) at a bar with friends. And then I was still able to run a couple rack in a row while drunk with a tip/ferrule that literally slid off the cue in the middle of the second rack. I just slid it back on and kept playing with no problems.

I gotta say I find it hard to believe that one shaft will produce more swerve than another. It would have to produce more spin for that to happen (which I also find hard to believe). And swerve is usually only a problem when the cue is elevated and hitting at low speeds.

worriedbeef
01-31-2008, 01:41 AM
i see what you're saying Klopek but i think the idea is deflection is something that comes into play on nearly every shot. whereas this swerve issue is only something that happens on a long slow shot with extreme english really.

I gotta say I find it hard to believe that one shaft will produce more swerve than another. It would have to produce more spin for that to happen (which I also find hard to believe). And swerve is usually only a problem when the cue is elevated and hitting at low speeds.

Believe me the OB-1 does produce more swerve it's fact. don't forget that on every shot the cue is elevated to a certain degree a bit.

Patrick Johnson
01-31-2008, 06:41 AM
Believe me the OB-1 does produce more swerve it's fact.

Sorry, but your belief doesn't make it a fact for me. We're often wrong about the things we're "sure" we experience in pool, so a test of some kind would add some weight to your assertion.

Logic says the stick shouldn't make a difference - that the amount of swerve should only change with the amount of tip offset and butt elevation. Do you have any specific reason to believe the OB-1 produces more swerve other than your personal impression? Any theory for why it would produce more?

You shouldn't always "believe your eyes". Maybe not even most of the time.

pj
chgo

Flex
01-31-2008, 07:22 AM
No, I'm not. I have a Sniper on the Josey and a Triangle on the OB-1. In my case, I don't think that's the problem. I had miscue issues using the Talisman M that was on the OB-1 originally too. I have used Triangles & Snipers for many years and never had persistent miscue issues with either.

I'm wondering if the OB-1 light end-mass doesn't allow it to stay on the cue ball and push through it as well on extreme english shots? Almost like a ricochet effect?

Hear, hear!

You have miscue issues with the OB-1? Take the advice Larry Schwartz gives in his "8 Ball Handbook for Winners"... He says that a too loose bridge will cause plenty of problems when shooting off center on the cue ball, or words to that effect. A tighter bridge will definitely help that.

I have an OB-1 too, and the lower end mass helps lower cue ball squirt on off center shots. Most of the time I shoot with a closed bridge, but when shooting with an open bridge, I play plenty of attention to avoid miscuing, and of course, chalk up very well.

All that being said, I don't have too many issues with miscuing. I also shoot with Elkmaster tips, which may help avoid miscues in iffy circumstances.

My suggestion: use a tighter bridge when shooting off center shots. The way I manage to do that consistently without the crabbing that may occur in more humid conditions is to wear a glove.

Flex

Flex
01-31-2008, 07:23 AM
I'm surprised about the miscues based on my experience. My remaining issue is also swerve. I have stopped trying English when I'm on the rail because I still can't judge the swerve even though I've been using the OB-1 for about 4 months now. In all other aspects I'm loving it!:D

Swerve isn't the fault of the cue...

Just be happy you have less of an issue with cue ball squirt. It's one less variable to deal with.

Adapt!

Flex

Flex
01-31-2008, 07:25 AM

Earl is finicky too...

Flex

jingle
01-31-2008, 07:38 AM
Hear, hear!

You have miscue issues with the OB-1? Take the advice Larry Schwartz gives in his "8 Ball Handbook for Winners"... He says that a too loose bridge will cause plenty of problems when shooting off center on the cue ball, or words to that effect. A tighter bridge will definitely help that.

My suggestion: use a tighter bridge when shooting off center shots. The way I manage to do that consistently without the crabbing that may occur in more humid conditions is to wear a glove.

Flex

That's good advice Flex, I'll pay closer attention to my bridge on draw shots and see if that helps. I know I do get a little too relaxed with my bridge at times, so you may be onto something here. I don't have a "chronic" problem miscueing with the OB-1, but it has happened a few times, and I never miscue with the Josey, so it has grabbed my attention.

worriedbeef
01-31-2008, 08:02 AM
Sorry, but your belief doesn't make it a fact for me. We're often wrong about the things we're "sure" we experience in pool, so a test of some kind would add some weight to your assertion.

Logic says the stick shouldn't make a difference - that the amount of swerve should only change with the amount of tip offset and butt elevation. Do you have any specific reason to believe the OB-1 produces more swerve other than your personal impression? Any theory for why it would produce more?

You shouldn't always "believe your eyes". Maybe not even most of the time.

pj
chgo

i dunno don't get me wrong i am open to the possibility it's just some sort of optical illusion caused by some other factor, but it's quite an obvious effect to me. and it's backed up by other people seeming to have noticed the exact same thing. i'll have a look again when i next play.

jjr183
01-31-2008, 08:16 AM
My experience with the OB-1 so far is that it takes a lot of adjustment to get used to it. A lot of this is due to the fact that I am much more of a feel player than I thought. Now that I am playing with the OB-1 I have found that the adjustments that I made subconsciously for deflection have been a problem because now those adjustments do not need to be made. For example, With my original shaft I can use inside spin with ease, but now I have to make an effort with the OB-1 to stop and remember that I do not need to make my normal adjustment. It's gotten to the point now where I know I am still compensating and once I make this realization I can force myself see the correct contact point.

I believe that this is a situation where my brain has been translating all of these variables and making an adjustment to what I see as the contact point on the object ball in much the same way that everyones brain inverts everything they see so that it does not appear upside-down (Here is a better description of this phenomenon: http://www.physlink.com/Education/AskExperts/ae353.cfm).

In the end this means that if you have been playing for a long time expect to have to go through a reprogramming phase for your brain, but in the end it should be worth it.

In addition, the shaft also has a much smaller diameter than I expected. I think this may be why I have been miscuing with it on draw shots as I do not need to go as low with it as I do on larger diameter shafts. This may also be the cause for the increased swerve that I have noticed as I do not need to go as far to the side to get the same amount of spin that causes this effect. I think this is actually an improvement for me because I always had a problem with using swerve to get around an interfering ball with accuracy and now I can. I am also able to get a lot more spin off the rails with a much lighter hit which I find to be beneficial as I believe that a softer hit is more accurate.

The shaft is also much lighter than my original. This makes sense as the shaft is cored with some sort of spongy light-weight material. This has caused the balance point of the shaft to go back a bit and has actually been beneficial as I recently changed my stroke to a much longer one and moved my grip further back anyways. On the down side, I have noticed that I need to actually hit a shot harder when trying to do a controlled draw stroke of about an inch or two from distance. I assume that this is because the lighter weight of the shaft doesn't transfer as much momentum into the cue ball so it loses its spin faster, but that is a question for the experts not me.

Just my thoughts about this interesting portion of my journey...