PDA

View Full Version : Test hit only cues ????

NINEBALLART
01-30-2008, 12:48 PM
This may sound like a dumb question but why do people selling cues show a picture of a cue with blue chalk all over the tip and say, "test hit only" ??? Why was the cue test hit and who test hit with it ? What where they looking for by test hitting with it ??? Makes you wonder if they really liked the hit they would keep it for themselves ? or if they don't like the hit then go ahead and sell it ??? Or did they give it to someone else to try and that person did not like it and gave it back ??? Why not use a tan chalk or something else so the tip is not all blue and looks used ???
Like I said, maybe a dumb question but what do you think when someone says "test hit only"...Not accusing anyone of unethical practices but just wondering what you think when you see this.......

JoeyInCali
01-30-2008, 12:54 PM
That means they did not play with it.
They can have it cleaned too and you wouldn't know someone played with it unless there are really playing signs.

What I don't get is how a custom cue leaves the shop without the maker test hitting with it.

enzo
01-30-2008, 01:01 PM
in all seriousness, what you should really be looking for is people who dont allow others to test hit.... and stay the hell away from these sellers. i just think it's totally ridiculous that some expects you to buy a 500 cue and not hit with it. and test hitting does NOT decrease the value, although that is arguable.

rhncue
01-30-2008, 01:03 PM
This may sound like a dumb question but why do people selling cues show a picture of a cue with blue chalk all over the tip and say, "test hit only" ??? Why was the cue test hit and who test hit with it ? What where they looking for by test hitting with it ??? Makes you wonder if they really liked the hit they would keep it for themselves ? or if they don't like the hit then go ahead and sell it ??? Or did they give it to someone else to try and that person did not like it and gave it back ??? Why not use a tan chalk or something else so the tip is not all blue and looks used ???
Like I said, maybe a dumb question but what do you think when someone says "test hit only"...Not accusing anyone of unethical practices but just wondering what you think when you see this.......

There are a number of reasons for cues to be test hit. 1. All cues hit differently, even the same brand and model. 2. Everyone has their own preferences in what they like a cue to feel like. What feels good to one may feel bad to another. 3. Most custom cue makers hit some balls with the cues they build as they are trying for a particular hit in their cues.

As long as the cue is not improperly used, test hitting certainly shouldn't cause any harm to a cue. It used to be that dealers were not allowed to put chalk on a tip prior to selling as the manufacturers guarantee would be voided once chalked as it was considered sold at this point.

These are some reasons that make buying from a dealer a better option for a consumer than buying on line as you can feel the cue in your hands and you can determine if it plays well or not.

Dick

Dawgie
01-30-2008, 01:09 PM
If it's a custom cue and must be test hit, why can't the maker state that the cue has been test hit and then install a new tip?

Bob Jewett
01-30-2008, 01:20 PM
This may sound like a dumb question but why do people selling cues show a picture of a cue with blue chalk all over the tip and say, "test hit only" ??? .....
What I don't understand is how anyone could buy an expensive cue without shooting with it first. What if the balance is no good for you? Or it has a subtle, annoying ping? If you are going to buy a pre-made cue stick, and the seller is not willing to let you shoot with it, go elsewhere.

Of course, if it's a Southwest or some other cue that you know you can flip for a profit to someone who won't ask to shoot with it first, then there is no need to see how it hits. No one expects to play with an investment cue, and I have shot with some such cues that were unusable, for me.

Bob Jewett
01-30-2008, 01:21 PM
If it's a custom cue and must be test hit, why can't the maker state that the cue has been test hit and then install a new tip?
Because if it's a good tip, it's stupid to waste it.

Scott Lee
01-30-2008, 02:35 PM
...also, because with a new tip, it would not have been "test hit"!:D The 'feel' of the tip is one of the most subjective part of the cue! The exact same cue, with the same taper and joint, will 'feel' different, to some people,with different tips. I agree with Bob about why waste a good tip!

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

Because if it's a good tip, it's stupid to waste it.

NINEBALLART
01-30-2008, 04:21 PM
I myself have to hit with a cue before I buy it. I have bought cues off e-bay without hitting with them and I either have to change the tip or I just don't like the hit... I don't understand the seller hitting with it because of the reasons you give. Since each individual has their own feel for the cue, balance, tip and etc.... Why does the seller test hit the cue ??? What does that tell the potential buyer ???

Bob Jewett
01-30-2008, 04:36 PM
I myself have to hit with a cue before I buy it. I have bought cues off e-bay without hitting with them and I either have to change the tip or I just don't like the hit... I don't understand the seller hitting with it because of the reasons you give. Since each individual has their own feel for the cue, balance, tip and etc.... Why does the seller test hit the cue ??? What does that tell the potential buyer ???
I think it tells the buyer that the seller is honest enough not to clean off the tip after someone shot with the cue and claim that it is still a virgin. In fact, you might want to avoid sellers who claim that a cue has never been shot with since it's likely not true. I would not trust a custom cue maker who did not shoot some spin shots with each shaft he made.

CocoboloCowboy
01-30-2008, 04:41 PM
Think this is going to be a interesting thread.

DeadPoked
01-30-2008, 04:52 PM
If they don't test hit the cue they can't advertise things like, "IT HITS LIKE A TON!"... They wouldn't just say that would they? :D

deanoc
01-30-2008, 09:30 PM
I know Jerry Franlin used to test hit every cue in the shop,we would lie on the floor and shoot balls against the wall,there was no table and he never chalked the cue.I could care less if they chalked mine or not,but I buy new cues all the time and that always means buying before seeing or hitting one.Tim Scruggs hits them and shapes the tips until he gets the right feel,and I always appreciate that,Of course he only does that if requsted to do so. Mike Cochran spent a lot of time really dressing one up for me soaking it in milk or some such stuff and when I got it I changed the tips because they were blue,I was too stupid to realize what he had done for me until I messed it up >

okinawa77
01-30-2008, 10:11 PM

NINEBALLART,

I have bought investment cues, and I have test hit them using brown chalk, then wiping them afterward.

I want to know how the cue feels. If there is something wrong internally, then you will notice it on the hit. That is not to say that, if a seller test hits a cue and wants to sell it, that the cue is bad. It may be that the cue just doesn't have the feel they like for their stroke style. I have a Balabushka, 2 Dale Perry, and Coker cue. I test hit with them all, and I don't like the feel of the hit. They are solid hitting cues, but I am picky about how I want my cue to feel on the hit. Sure, I could change the tip, but then I would be customizing it to my needs.
I would like to sell these cues and some used cues, and for any potential buyer, I would definitely let them test hit.....with brown chalk.

I have held on to these cues for awhile, and I have shot with a lot of different cues. I am at a point now, that I want to buy a custom made cue, and I know all the different things I want from tip, ferrule, shaft, joint, forearm, grip, butt sleeve, butt capp, to bumper........But.....I can't afford to buy my dream cue. So, I need to sell my existing cues to get enough funds for my dream cue.

Like Bob and a few others stated, if a seller doesn't let you test hit it before you buy it, then IMHO....don't buy it......unless it is an investment cue solely for a turn around profit.

ribdoner
01-30-2008, 10:21 PM
When possible I always test hit cues and perspective wives, never found an adverse impact on resale/trade value...