PDA

View Full Version : Misogyny? Are you serious?

Cuebacca
01-30-2008, 08:00 PM
IMO, some good intentioned people have been way too quick to cry misogyny based on posters' views of pool handicapping. I'm sure there are guys out there who hate women in one way or another, but it's blown way out of proportion on here, I think.

I'm not going to dig through posts to call out specific people, but it seems that conversations can almost go like this...

Poster A: I think Jane Doe is the #73rd best player in the world.

Poster B: No way Jose, she's #121 at best.

Poster A: OK, you must hate women then.

Sure this conversation is over-simplified, but consider it a thought-experiment. LOL.

Now I agree, we should all treat each other with respect, and we shouldn't go around bashing pros. We also shouldn't overgeneralize or jump to conclusions. Just because someone believes that the best player in the world does not yet happen to be a woman, doesn't mean that they believe in some kind of intrinsic limit to women's potential on the table. IMO, it drags the forum down when people throw out the M card around like it's going out of style.

Some of the "Poster A's" have said, "why can't we just see women pros as just pros". Well, keep in mind, it goes both ways. If someone underrates a pro in your opinion, she might just be "an underrated pro who happens to be a women", not "pro who is underrated because she's a woman".

Maybe someone will read this post and think I made it because I hate women. That would be a shame and incorrect. I just think that, in general, people are trying to rate and rank the pros to the best of their ability. While you may very likely run into some sexists out there, it's good to avoid "crying wolf" about it in my humble opinion. :cool:

Williebetmore
01-31-2008, 08:35 AM
IMO, some good intentioned people have been way too quick to cry misogyny based on posters' views of pool handicapping. :

Cue-man,
I can think of at least 2 occasions where I've labelled a poster as a misogynist. This term is NOT in any way used as an insult, just a description. There have been tons of posters who do not think women play well; and I have not used the "M" word for them. The term is reserved for the posters with an obvious, impolite, unreasonable, and vitriolic stance on the matter - such a stance indicating a deep seated bias rather than an informed opinion.

In such cases I think it is quite reasonable to use the word, it is descriptive, and not intended to be an insult....if the shoe fits.....