PDA

View Full Version : Did you ever feel embarassed...

hang-the-9
01-30-2008, 08:31 PM
for the other person when someone asks to play with you and they can't win a single game? Or when people from work say "I play pool too", and the only position they know is missionary? I start to avoid eye contact and try to miss more :o . I had a guy walk into a room talking about his table at home, blah blah blah, I think he won one game because I hung up the game winner. Then I had to pretend to understand that his table plays different and it's OK, yes the table is tough, it rolls too fast, the lights are not as bright, chalk is the wrong color for you that what your mommy bought. I hate feeling like I'm showing off, and when your oponent is helpless I can feel the guy thinking "what did I get into and how do I get out of it", that makes me feel terrible for knowing how to play. Maybe I'm just too nice.

trustyrusty
01-30-2008, 09:19 PM
Only once, and it was in league play. I didn't feel bad for him because he didn't play well though. I felt kinda bad that I was lucky and ran the first two racks (by lucky, I only mean kinda, I had really nice spreads on the breaks, I got every break out -8ball- that I was going for, and only left myself bad once - made the bank). I had to play a safe in the 3rd game (he kicked for a good hit), and then I finished off that game too. 4th game I finally missed a shot, and he made 2 balls and scratched - I ran out with ball in hand. He's a really nice guy, and usually pretty good competition, but I shot really well in our match. I kinda hoped it'd be much closer, even though I felt really good about how I played. After the match we shook hands, and he said, "nice shootin', wish I coulda played some". I don't know if that counts as feeling bad....more surprised by the results probably.

Terry Ardeno
01-30-2008, 09:31 PM
for the other person when someone asks to play with you and they can't win a single game? Or when people from work say "I play pool too", and the only position they know is missionary? I start to avoid eye contact and try to miss more :o . I had a guy walk into a room talking about his table at home, blah blah blah, I think he won one game because I hung up the game winner. Then I had to pretend to understand that his table plays different and it's OK, yes the table is tough, it rolls too fast, the lights are not as bright, chalk is the wrong color for you that what your mommy bought. I hate feeling like I'm showing off, and when your oponent is helpless I can feel the guy thinking "what did I get into and how do I get out of it", that makes me feel terrible for knowing how to play. Maybe I'm just too nice.

The quick answer is "No".
I won't gamble with any of my buddies who can't win. I don't feel right about taking money from friends who have no shot. My pool playing pals, different story. But most of us are not rich, have house payments, kids in college, multiple car payments and numerous other responsibilities so we usually limit our bets to $50.00 sets. We mostly play for fun and "bragging rights".
To be honest though, I go into every single match with the intention of shutting the other player out. I try just as hard and bear down no matter who I play. The only time I don't do that is when I'm playing kids under say 15-16. If I'm playing with some of the neighbor kids who are 6-12, I dog it enough for them to win. I want them to enjoy the game and winning makes them like playing even more.
I have a big soft heart, but not on the pool table. Let me just say this. Even JohnnyT would nod in approval at how much I want to win every single game. If I lose a set, I have trouble falling asleep that night and will think of it for days. It still stings to remember some of my losses, but I also think that every player needs to pay his or her dues and take your beatings before you become "battle seasoned".

In pool, ask yourself what do you want to become? The best in your house? The best on your street? The best in your neighborhood? The best in your town? The best in your county? Only you can draw that line where you want to be. But holding back will end up holding you back.

okinawa77
01-30-2008, 09:38 PM
Yeah, I have on occasion felt embarassed. I once had a date with a gal, and she was not very good. It became a bit uncomfortable. So, I started missing a lot of shots to break the tension in the air between us.

I found that when playing lower skill level players, instead of playing like I would in a money game or tournament, I play shots of high difficulty. It seems to make the games more fun for both parties. I miss more frequently, and when I make a trick shot...we both cheer.

During league, I play to win. I have been known to beat other SL7s, five games to none....and I honestly do feel bad about it....because they payed to play...and they didn't get much of their money's worth.

okinawa77
01-30-2008, 09:50 PM
Terry Ardeno,

I understand your mentality.
I used to dog shots, but I noticed it brought my game down...when I wanted to call upon my inner A game.
But I have found that pounding on friends and mutual acquaintences...tend to make them disappear. So, I got tired of standing there with my stick in my hand.

I found that I can attempt high difficulty shots during friendly play, and this actually is pretty good practice for me..IMO.

I think to compete at a pro level, like you pointed out, the killer instinct is the only way to go.
Play your best, and if that ain't good enough....play better.

JDB
01-30-2008, 10:03 PM
Yeah, I have on occasion felt embarassed. I once had a date with a gal, and she was not very good. It became a bit uncomfortable. So, I started missing a lot of shots to break the tension in the air between us.

I found that when playing lower skill level players, instead of playing like I would in a money game or tournament, I play shots of high difficulty. It seems to make the games more fun for both parties. I miss more frequently, and when I make a trick shot...we both cheer.

During league, I play to win. I have been known to beat other SL7s, five games to none....and I honestly do feel bad about it....because they payed to play...and they didn't get much of their money's worth.
I agree with you on the social aspect. If they can't play well, it really doesn't feel "good" to just keep beating on someone.

However, I disagree with league play. I have beat many people by wide margins and never felt bad about it at all. We are there to compete, and if they are SL7's they know how to play, so I don't feel bad about it at all.

The best match I ever had was an APA 9-ball match when I was a 7, against a 6, I beat him 55 - 2 in 4 innings. I was expecting him to be pissed about it, but he just laughed, said he had no chance that game, and said great game.

ShootingArts
01-30-2008, 10:04 PM
Many many years ago I learned to play pool in different gears. With other men and money on the line, no slack if they were good enough to be any threat. I didn't play harder than I needed to in order to win but besides hiding speed a bit it just seemed sensible to not burn the energy to win an easy game that I might need later against a tougher opponent.

Then there was another gear playing friends that played recreational pool, youngsters or beginners, and ladies of that era. No sense hammering them in the dirt. I want them all to enjoy playing.

I learned to shift gears when I was at the table and I learned to shift gears when I was sitting in my chair with a strong player at the table. I credit this ability to shift gears and turn down the burner when it didn't need to be on high with giving me the endurance to play at a winning level for 12-15 hours at a time or even longer.

Hu

bud green
01-30-2008, 10:23 PM
I had to stop playing one of my friends after he lost 27 straight games of onepocket and actually asked me to let him win one. He'd try length of table shots off the rail where he could only get one and would sell out 4-5 if he missed... If someone is that stupid, I have no help for them. I'd already let him borrow about 20 accu-stats tapes of one pocket to help his game but he just didn't get it at all.

Unless she's gorgeous, I'm trying to win. If they won't take weight, then they can take their beating. I usually offer to bank the 8 in eight ball, spot them balls in one pocket, or something like that even if its not for money. I understand it sucks to lose all the time, but that doesn't mean you should expect other players to practice missing or change their game just for your ego.

Guys playing girls who never play pool should play opposite handed instead of trying to impress them by running out. Its good practice anyway.

okinawa77
01-30-2008, 10:27 PM
I agree with you on the social aspect. If they can't play well, it really doesn't feel "good" to just keep beating on someone.

However, I disagree with league play. I have beat many people by wide margins and never felt bad about it at all. We are there to compete, and if they are SL7's they know how to play, so I don't feel bad about it at all.

The best match I ever had was an APA 9-ball match when I was a 7, against a 6, I beat him 55 - 2 in 4 innings. I was expecting him to be pissed about it, but he just laughed, said he had no chance that game, and said great game.

Well, I guess overall I don't feel too bad...I actually feel kind of good...but there is a little guy inside me that feels sympathy for my opponent...because I know what it's like to be on the "pummeled side".

That is one great match you played.
I played an APA 9-ball playoff match against an SL9 when I was an SL7, and he beat me 20 match points to 0. He is rated as a pro level player in USPPA, now. He was just on fire that night. He was pocketing 3 to 6 balls on the break, and had easy run outs. I told his teammates that he was so scared of me, that he wouldn't let me shoot. We all laughed....as he continued to crush me. The few chances I did get to shoot, I was hooked...but I never quit, and I beared down and shot the best I could. I surprised him on a few shots, and that's when he really got scared.....and wouldn't let me shoot anymore. He doesn't play APA anymore. Now, he mainly plays USPPA.

JDB
01-30-2008, 10:38 PM
Well, I guess overall I don't feel too bad...I actually feel kind of good...but there is a little guy inside me that feels sympathy for my opponent...because I know what it's like to be on the "pummeled side".

That is one great match you played.
I played an APA 9-ball playoff match against an SL9 when I was an SL7, and he beat me 20 match points to 0. He is rated as a pro level player in USPPA, now. He was just on fire that night. He was pocketing 3 to 6 balls on the break, and had easy run outs. I told his teammates that he was so scared of me, that he wouldn't let me shoot. We all laughed....as he continued to crush me. The few chances I did get to shoot, I was hooked...but I never quit, and I beared down and shot the best I could. I surprised him on a few shots, and that's when he really got scared.....and wouldn't let me shoot anymore. He doesn't play APA anymore. Now, he mainly plays USPPA.
Thanks, unfortunately, although I have had some very good games (ie., 8 or 9 innings as an 8), I have not been able to duplicate that game yet.

I feel the same way when I am up against a great player, I just try to bear down and make the most of it and try not to give anything up. But if someone has a great game against me, I will just tell them great game, you deserved it.

I have been in other games where people do get pissed when I have a good game, and it is annoying, but I try not to let it get to me. Like when I am an 8 in 9-ball and have a great game and someone actually accuses me of sandbagging...LMAO

okinawa77
01-30-2008, 11:30 PM
Many many years ago I learned to play pool in different gears. With other men and money on the line, no slack if they were good enough to be any threat. I didn't play harder than I needed to in order to win but besides hiding speed a bit it just seemed sensible to not burn the energy to win an easy game that I might need later against a tougher opponent.

Then there was another gear playing friends that played recreational pool, youngsters or beginners, and ladies of that era. No sense hammering them in the dirt. I want them all to enjoy playing.

I learned to shift gears when I was at the table and I learned to shift gears when I was sitting in my chair with a strong player at the table. I credit this ability to shift gears and turn down the burner when it didn't need to be on high with giving me the endurance to play at a winning level for 12-15 hours at a time or even longer.

Hu

Wow, kudos to you, Hu.

I tried to gear change for awhile, but it was too difficult for me. I think because I must be making subconcious adjustments when I play. So, I either have my A game ON...or OFF. So, now I play with it ON, all the time. But, like I stated earlier...when playing casually, I challenge myself with shots that are just out of my ownership, and it has improve my game.

midnightpulp
01-30-2008, 11:38 PM
Well, since getting back into the swing of the things a couple of months ago, I haven't engaged in too much competition, but when I played seriously, I have never felt bad or embarrassed. On the contrary. I get extreme ego gratification from completely dominating an inferior opponent.

If we're somewhat serious about the game, I think such a "selfish" feeling is justified. It's our reward for putting in the hours, the study, the frustration into the game while Johnny Banger slops balls in, sends the cue ball eighteen rails around the table, futilely hoping for a good leave, but somehow ironically feels entitled to win, and when he doesn't, the excuses start flowing like the run outs you put on poor Johnny.

Part of my reason for getting back into the game was to feel this rush again. During my hiatus, I played once in awhile at the bar. My game deteriorated to a C level, which is more than enough to whip all the bangers on the bar boxes, even the deluded ones who have their own cues and play in the bar leagues. Nothing better than beating a banger with a house cue, seeing him silently fume, sitting there holding his graphite cue, and then hearing the excuses as he slides the dollar into the slot.

You guys know the type. And I think that's why most of us have no reservations about making fun of bangers. The people who go to have a good time, have a few drinks, and slap a few balls around, that's fine. But a "Banger" is different. His skill level is comparable to the "for fun" crowd, but his attitude is different. Like I said, entitled.

And I love denying them that.

PoolBum
01-30-2008, 11:39 PM
for the other person when someone asks to play with you and they can't win a single game?

Uh, before or after the bet?

okinawa77
01-30-2008, 11:39 PM
But if someone has a great game against me, I will just tell them great game, you deserved it. Me too.

I have been in other games where people do get pissed when I have a good game, and it is annoying, but I try not to let it get to me. Like when I am an 8 in 9-ball and have a great game and someone actually accuses me of sandbagging...LMAO

I usually laugh at people when they say that. Then I say, "a sandbagging SL8? Are you serious?". I mean come on, when you are at or near the highest skill rating...to be called a sandbagger is just funny to me. If I wanted to be a sandbagger, I sure as hell wouldn't be at the top of the Skill Level. There isn't too much sandbagging in my area...in comparison to other areas. And maybe that is why California teams don't do to well in playoffs. Usually, other teams have SL3's shooting and making masse shots and 3 railers.

okinawa77
01-30-2008, 11:49 PM
Guys playing girls who never play pool should play opposite handed instead of trying to impress them by running out. Its good practice anyway.
bud green,
I play just as good, and sometimes...better, opposite handed.

.......seriously.

I once tried to get a guy to play me for a little coin, and he wouldn't play me even. So, I offered to play left handed, but he already knew how well I play left handed. I did eventually get him to play me, $10 a game in Last Pocket, and it ended even.

Do you have any other suggestions?...for those of us in my case..

I am open to new ideas.

gregoryg
01-31-2008, 12:00 AM
Wish I had a quarter for every time I grabbed a house cue and ran the table on somebody and got accused of being a pool shark. If you put in the time and effort to learn how to play and someone else didn't, there is no reason to be embarrassed about how little your opponent really knows about playing pool. I never felt embarrassed about winning, if the other player did not play better than I did, they are supposed to lose. You put in the effort and learn to win, then win, what's to be embarrassed about? I don't play as well as I used to, but I can still hold up to most opponents that are not shortstops or better. I practiced way too many hours to be worried about someone who's a banger getting their feelings hurt. If you get tired of losing, you'll practice and learn to win.

ioCross
01-31-2008, 12:09 AM
I alleviate that issue by only playing for cash. that way if they can't win a game i know im making a profit, even if its for a dollar a rack or 5 bucks a set.

softshot
01-31-2008, 12:24 AM
I never feel embarrassed playing pool. If I am trying to get laid.. then I "might" try a few multi rail kicks and leave myself difficult...

But if I am playing someone who claims to be a pool player.. no mercy at all.. if they are really really bad and are asking me "how did you do that?" then I will go into teacher mode and try to help them to get better.

but 85-90% of the time I want to destroy and embarrass any person who dared to pick up a cue and challenge me.

I'm a bit on the competitive side. :)

worriedbeef
01-31-2008, 01:09 AM
trouble is pool is one of those games that everybody thinks they're good at. or used to be brilliant at. so this is a frequent problem, especially in england when people don't even know the rules yet they've told you they 'love playing pool and play all the time'. they can't make two in a row. i learn to expect it now though when i do play new people.

one of the things i've always loved is playing somebody miles better than me. none of the usual woes about trying to make the game competitive or fun for your lacklustre opponent - you can just go all out and play your best and have a good game.

but 85-90% of the time I want to destroy and embarrass any person who dared to pick up a cue and challenge me.

I'm a bit on the competitive side.

i am like that, but only when the player can actually compete!! unless the person is a ***** however, then who cares about embarassing them!

AZE
01-31-2008, 05:28 AM

^ You're probably one of these people to a lot of players. :cool:

I'm not. :cool:

hang-the-9
01-31-2008, 07:25 AM
Uh, before or after the bet?

Not betting, just shooting around. Had the room manager introduce me to a guy, who was talking about his table at home. He could not get a 3-ball run together, and basically snuck out of the room in an hour, have not seen him back there.

hang-the-9
01-31-2008, 07:27 AM
^ You're probably one of these people to a lot of players. :cool:

I'm not. :cool:

You bet, any A player that is playing at an average level can beat me most of the time.

leehayes
01-31-2008, 07:31 AM
Funny...when I'm embarrassed seems the shoe is on the other foot...I have times where it seems I forget how to shoot.
But the other day I did feel sorry for a guy because I was in the zone like never before. Played a league match in 9 ball and only missed two shots. Perfect position on every shot...but I wasn't embarrassed.

cubc
01-31-2008, 07:46 AM
I was in a situation where this girl knew I played well from hearsay and hyped me up to her friends. Then when they were at the pool hall one night seen me and invited me over to play cut throat with them. Now before I shot she was still saying how "amazing" i can play and all that.

So I thought to myself I better shoot the lights out for all shes talking or I'll look like a fool. So I ran out every single game, they got pissed, she got upset, and I ended up going to play alone again. She came up later and said I humiliated her in front of her friends by making her look like she sucks on the table. Apparently in her mind she could play...

So I realize now it was a lose lose. Play great and get hated on, or play bad and get laughed at for supposedly being good and sucking.

I now avoid social pool unless someone says they play 9 ball and are good, they have a table etc. etc. Usually they're no good but at least I feel justified by playing all out.

League or other pool buddies I dont hold back. I do sometimes try more difficult shots in less serious situations for "practice" but thats it.

Patrick53212
01-31-2008, 11:24 AM
I am with you on the playing with your weaker hand. I do that as well. I play left-handed quite a bit with players that I know cannot play very well. It helps my game as I often use my left hand as opposed to using a bridge. I have had players ranked much higher than I comment on how confidently I play with my left. I simply reply that I practice full games left-handed. I have even managed table runs left-handed on several occasions.

catpool9
01-31-2008, 11:38 AM

I've never felt bad or embarassed for playing good pool,..ever!

I play wide-open on everyone, my wide-open speed may be a crawl sometimes, but i'm going all out.

David Harcrow

BRKNRUN
01-31-2008, 11:55 AM
Yes...And I paid for at as well.

I did my normal routine when I get an actual opportunity to play...I ran home after work...did the spend time with wife and kids thing...scarfed down some food so I could make the 30 minute drive in 20 minutes get to the pool room in time for the tournament.

Played my first round match...I had to win 6 games to my opponents 3.

Played horrible the first game and took about 6 innings to finish one rack...I realized the person I was playing had no clue what they were doing..(did not even know the rules) I (knew) I was going to win this match because this person was lucky just to make any shot...I fell into stroke and started runing racks...break and run....break play safe run out...etc....I was up 5-0 and started feeling bad for this person as I was running out the ducks in the (should have been) last rack...Due to my lack of attention I over ran shape a bit and then dogged a still easy shot on the 8 ball.

I jarred the 8 in the pocket, and the 9 was a hanger as well right by the side pocket...The person made the 8 and I gave them the hanger 9...This person then proceeded to break in the 9-ball....Then almost broke the 9 in again but it hung on by the corner pocket...I watched (seemingly in slow motion) the 1-ball hit the point of the side pocket and banked back toward the 9-ball and stopped within close proximity....Of course that 1-ball was shot toward the 9...was going to miss the 9 altogether until it was re-directed by another near by ball...

Nice Match......On to the LOSER bracket...all becuse I let a little "guilt" creep into my head... LOL :) :)