PDA

View Full Version : Consistency

ForumGhost516
01-30-2008, 11:02 PM
Hey all I'm going to run down a scenario and pose the question has it happened to you.

I play in my local pool room every other day or so and i play in the two weekly tournaments they have there. Now im not a great player but i can sink balls and make good position here and there. Now for the last four weeks in a row every time i picked up a cue i was a god among pool players. I mean bank shots cut shots, perfect position and jumps. Everything went in. and i won four out of four. Yay for me right ?

In all honesty while it was great winning those tournaments i regret it now because my spot ball has been raised to a point of almost unfairness and more importantly i cant make a friggin ball now. I mean even shots that i would make on a normal day i just cant seem to get consistently.

Basically i was just wondering if anyone has had that happen to them before shooting great for a stretch and then shooting horrible.

I look forward to all replies thoughts and comments feel free to PM as well.

AZE
01-31-2008, 05:35 AM
This is how pool works... you start, you get better, you get worse, you get better, you get worse, you get even better, you get worse, you take a break, you come back better, you get worse, you get better..... and that keeps going.

At no point in the process have you made any money or accomplished anything valuable in life. You may have acquired emphysema, however.

To answer your question, yes, and it's going to happen a lot if you keep playing. It will come back, and get better, and go back down again, repeat.

Congrats on the win.

Flettir
01-31-2008, 09:36 AM
When I get into the slump I have found that this helps me to get out of it more quickly.

I go to the practice table and setup one hard to make shot, not impossible but very hard. Like a long not quit on the rail shot from a 50-60 degree angle.
I then shoot that shot over and over again. I try to make it but that is not my point of focus. What I really focus on is my stroke. Making sure the stroke is smooth and consistent.

That is the fastest way I have found to get out of the slump. Go back to basics.

Jude Rosenstock
01-31-2008, 09:37 AM
The only way you can be consistent is if you go out and miss every single time. Then, you will consistently stink but at least you will be consistent.

Seriously, everybody has their ups and downs. It's part of the learning process. The better you handle this emotionally, the more likely you are to have ups.

klockdoc
01-31-2008, 10:52 AM
Took a little break, came back refreshed and viola...

Hey, BPG24, that is a Smorgass Bored trademark saying....:D

It's Voila for the rest of us..:)

BRKNRUN
01-31-2008, 12:01 PM
The whole key to consitency is to get to where your "slump" play is still competative enough for you to win games / matches.

Even Efren goes into slumps...(I think he is kind of in one now)....But even when he is in his slump...he is still competative.

When you can play bad and still win...That is when you become a champion.

mantis99
01-31-2008, 12:55 PM
The only thing consistent about my game is inconsistency (which I really hate) I go through stretches where I feel confident about almost every shot on the table that is reasonable to make, and my ball just magically lands where I want it to. It seems to stay for weeks at a time, then all of a sudden I am missing shots with regularity that wi would expect to make 95% of the time. i am hoping that some lessons will help cure this, but I suppose it is part of the game.

pooltchr
01-31-2008, 06:19 PM
This may sound overly simple, but consistancy comes from doing the same things the same way (properly) every time you shoot. From your approach to the table, your thought process on the shot, the way you position yourself on the shot, the number of warm-ups, the way you draw the cue back, the way you move the cue forward....it ALL should be the same every time. Everyone focuses on Allison's fundamentals (which are extremely good), but notice the other parts of the way she goes through the process of setting up to shoot. She is like a machine...and I mean that in the best of ways.
When you have developed a consistant, repeatable stroke that moves the cue in a straight line, and a pre-shot routine that is automatically the same every shot, you will find the slumps are much fewer and farther between.
Steve

Jaden
01-31-2008, 07:49 PM
This may sound overly simple, but consistancy comes from doing the same things the same way (properly) every time you shoot. From your approach to the table, your thought process on the shot, the way you position yourself on the shot, the number of warm-ups, the way you draw the cue back, the way you move the cue forward....it ALL should be the same every time. Everyone focuses on Allison's fundamentals (which are extremely good), but notice the other parts of the way she goes through the process of setting up to shoot. She is like a machine...and I mean that in the best of ways.
When you have developed a consistant, repeatable stroke that moves the cue in a straight line, and a pre-shot routine that is automatically the same every shot, you will find the slumps are much fewer and farther between.
Steve

And when you do have slumps, you can easily figure out how to get out of it, by taking a look and reading through your notes on what your preshot and shot routines are amd seeing what you are NOT doing or doing wrong while in your slump.

What, you don't take notes????? You should start then.... Pay attention to what works for you and what doesn't and WRITE it DOWN.....

philw
01-31-2008, 10:44 PM
This is how pool works... you start, you get better, you get worse, you get better, you get worse, you get even better, you get worse, you take a break, you come back better, you get worse, you get better..... and that keeps going.

At no point in the process have you made any money or accomplished anything valuable in life. You may have acquired emphysema, however.

To answer your question, yes, and it's going to happen a lot if you keep playing. It will come back, and get better, and go back down again, repeat.

Congrats on the win.
Ace that is a brilliant analysis I can truly relate. That is what keeps us coming back if pool were easy there would be little point in pursuing it. philw

trustyrusty
01-31-2008, 10:51 PM
Damn spell checker is worthless :D :D

They need to make one that catches grammar too. Some of us went to public schools in the south :eek:

spell checker is fine...it just thought you were referencing a stringed instrument. LOL :p

Scott Lee
01-31-2008, 11:41 PM
mantis99...I can virtually GUARANTEE you that lessons will help you with this!

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

The only thing consistent about my game is inconsistency (which I really hate) I go through stretches where I feel confident about almost every shot on the table that is reasonable to make, and my ball just magically lands where I want it to. It seems to stay for weeks at a time, then all of a sudden I am missing shots with regularity that wi would expect to make 95% of the time. i am hoping that some lessons will help cure this, but I suppose it is part of the game.

Scott Lee
01-31-2008, 11:44 PM
Wow, what a great description of the most valuable reason for having a repeatable setup and delivery process! Nice post! :D

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

And when you do have slumps, you can easily figure out how to get out of it, by taking a look and reading through your notes on what your preshot and shot routines are amd seeing what you are NOT doing or doing wrong while in your slump...

stevekur1
02-04-2008, 10:56 PM
You Know Who You Have To Ask That Question ! ! ! ! ! LOL

poolpro
02-04-2008, 11:49 PM
Yep, some good posts so far. I'll let you know what works if I ever experience anything but a slump!! :eek:

Everyone tells me that when I play, I am just like a machine........an ATM MACHINE!!!:p Hey I'll take what I can get! It's still a machine... right?....that kinda good, okay never mind.