PDA

View Full Version : speaking of spots.

tom haney
01-31-2008, 02:07 PM
I' ve got 2 guys I play one hole with.
The one guy I kill 8-7. When I play him even up,
he destroys me. We tried 9-8 yesterday & I won pretty handily.
Another guy I eat up spotting him a ball. 8-6 he kills me.
We tried 9-7 a few times. Closer, but he got the cheese both times.
1. Anybody else have this problem?
2. Suggestions, other than find 2 other guys to play?:)
Ain't many players in my pool hall.

BVal
01-31-2008, 02:10 PM
I' ve got 2 guys I play one hole with.
The one guy I kill 8-7. When I play him even up,
he destroys me. We tried 9-8 yesterday & I won pretty handily.
Another guy I eat up spotting him a ball. 8-6 he kills me.
We tried 9-7 a few times. Closer, but he got the cheese both times.
1. Anybody else have this problem?
2. Suggestions, other than find 2 other guys to play?:)
Ain't many players in my pool hall.
It sounds like you may be letting the spot bother you a little bit. If you are killing him at 8-7 and getting destroyed playing even then the spot is getting in your head and maybe causing you to shoot differently or something. Just try to play your game no matter what the spot is. Just my .02

BVal

tom haney
01-31-2008, 02:16 PM
It sounds like you may be letting the spot bother you a little bit. If you are killing him at 8-7 and getting destroyed playing even then the spot is getting in your head and maybe causing you to shoot differently or something. Just try to play your game no matter what the spot is. Just my .02

BVal

Excellent point and you're right, but it works both way.
The better player shoots much stronger even up, and the other guy looks like Mosconi when I give him 2 balls.:confused: :confused:

Neil
01-31-2008, 04:50 PM

desert1pocket
02-01-2008, 12:37 AM
I agree with all of the comments so far, but none of them really solve the problem. There are countless ways to handicap 1-hole, but for what you describe, I would suggest alternating the spot. As an example, there's a guy I play that give 9-7 on my breaks, and 8-7 on his breaks.

Robertduke
02-01-2008, 12:46 AM
I agree with all of the comments so far, but none of them really solve the problem. There are countless ways to handicap 1-hole, but for what you describe, I would suggest alternating the spot. As an example, there's a guy I play that give 9-7 on my breaks, and 8-7 on his breaks.

Beat me to it.. the break is a big spot either way..

AZE
02-01-2008, 01:48 AM
A lot of players don't have that great a concept of handicaps. 8-7 compared to 8-6 or for that matter 8-7 compared to 8-8 is a very big difference.

Your problem is only that you don't have a great understanding for the spot. 9-8 and 8-7 are two completely different animals.

If you feel like you need to find a more even game try doing something like 8-7 on X break, and 8-8 on Y break.

tom haney
02-01-2008, 05:18 AM

We've tried some of that and I think you're right. Seems to be the only solution. I would be perfectly happy with winning every day, but they seem to feel differently.:D

tom haney
02-01-2008, 05:22 AM
A lot of players don't have that great a concept of handicaps. 8-7 compared to 8-6 or for that matter 8-7 compared to 8-8 is a very big difference.

Your problem is only that you don't have a great understanding for the spot. 9-8 and 8-7 are two completely different animals.

If you feel like you need to find a more even game try doing something like 8-7 on X break, and 8-8 on Y break.

No, I do understand spots. I knew I wasn't getting much with 9-8 but I still won.
That's what prompted me to post this.
I found it ironic that the least little spot appears to give me a psychological edge over him.
Plus, we're dealing with 2 guys that hate to lose: me & him.:)

Black-Balled
02-01-2008, 06:32 AM
...one guy I kill 8-7. When I play him even up,
he destroys me...
That is just crazy talk.

Did it happen once each? 5x? More?

I can't see wanting to play someone giving a , spot vs even...

AZE
02-01-2008, 09:28 AM
9-8 may be one of the smallest spots you can give, but it's still a spot.
You might go from big loser to big winner with 9-8. It's not only psychological for you, but them, and that extra ball adds variables that really change the game..... When you think of 9-ball and 10-ball, does it seem like a huge difference? Not really, but it is.

Black-Balled - I believe he was saying that he wins GETTING 8-7, but can't win when playing even. I think you thought that he was saying that he was the one giving the spot.

tom haney
02-02-2008, 11:33 AM
That is just crazy talk.

Did it happen once each? 5x? More?

I can't see wanting to play someone giving a , spot vs even...

Maybe I wasn't clear. He was giving me the ball.

tom haney
02-02-2008, 11:35 AM
9-8 may be one of the smallest spots you can give, but it's still a spot.
You might go from big loser to big winner with 9-8. It's not only psychological for you, but them, and that extra ball adds variables that really change the game..... When you think of 9-ball and 10-ball, does it seem like a huge difference? Not really, but it is.

Black-Balled - I believe he was saying that he wins GETTING 8-7, but can't win when playing even. I think you thought that he was saying that he was the one giving the spot.

So much of pool is between the ears, isn't it, man?