PDA

View Full Version : Question ???......Is it Possible

samsarakid24
02-01-2008, 12:36 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Can anyone please tell me is it possible to change out an existing joint on a cue without any problems afterwards. I have a cue that I would like to
change the joint on from a 5/16 x 18 piloted phenolic joint to a 5/16 x 18
piloted Ivory joint. Is this possible and if so should I expect any problems
after the change has been completed with the cues playability. Also what would a change like this cost roughly and is there any cuemakers somebody could recommend who would do this for me. I posted the question also in the ask the cuemaker section but only got a couple of replies.

Thanks............Paul

TATE
02-01-2008, 12:56 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Can anyone please tell me is it possible to change out an existing joint on a cue without any problems afterwards. I have a cue that I would like to
change the joint on from a 5/16 x 18 piloted phenolic joint to a 5/16 x 18
piloted Ivory joint. Is this possible and if so should I expect any problems
after the change has been completed with the cues playability. Also what would a change like this cost roughly and is there any cuemakers somebody could recommend who would do this for me. I posted the question also in the ask the cuemaker section but only got a couple of replies.

Thanks............Paul

It should be a cinch for anybody who can build an ivory joint. I would estimate $200 to $250 from most cue makers, $150 to $200 for the joint work and another $50 or so to finish the forearm. It could even be less because you're just replacing the joint collar.

I would contact cue makers who do a lot of repair work. Jim Buss would be one, Mike Webb, Jerry Rauzenhaun, that type, to see how backed up they are at the moment and if they want to do it. Just let them know what type of cue it is.

I am a big fan of the ivory joint but I am not a big fan of a piloted ivory joint. It leaves a thin edge on the joint that always makes me wonder if they'll crack and chip. I assume you're doing it because you want your existing shafts to screw right in - in which case, yes it's a wise move.

In terms of playability and feel, it should be pretty much the same. The ivory joint will be more brittle than phenolic and is easier damaged. They are also more prone to cracking due to swelling of the tenon, but the cue makers know how to make them better now - some even use a layer of phenolic under the ivory collar - most hold up for many, many years.

Chris