PDA

View Full Version : Questions for folks who attended WPC in Manila

gobrian77
02-01-2008, 07:31 PM
I'm planning on heading over to see the 2008 championships, and I'd like a little info.:cool:

I'm probably going to go for four or five days maximum, and I'd like to see as much as possible- am I better off going at the beginning when it's less crowded and there are more matches going on, or later for the final?

Is it tough to score good seats ($ isn't a big issue- I'm concerned about availability and want to sit close to the action)? Again, I might be better off going early if this is the case.

What are the best hotels in the area (I own and operate a resort in Thailand and can probably score wholesale rates, and it's better to get on that early- if I can get 'em, I can easily pass them along to anybody else who might be interested)?

Who's gonna go in 2008? I know Cuaba is probably going to make it- anybody else?;)

jay helfert
02-01-2008, 08:22 PM
I'm planning on heading over to see the 2008 championships, and I'd like a little info.:cool:

I'm probably going to go for four or five days maximum, and I'd like to see as much as possible- am I better off going at the beginning when it's less crowded and there are more matches going on, or later for the final?

Is it tough to score good seats ($ isn't a big issue- I'm concerned about availability and want to sit close to the action)? Again, I might be better off going early if this is the case.

What are the best hotels in the area (I own and operate a resort in Thailand and can probably score wholesale rates, and it's better to get on that early- if I can get 'em, I can easily pass them along to anybody else who might be interested)?

Who's gonna go in 2008? I know Cuaba is probably going to make it- anybody else?;)

I believe the dates are Nov. 1-10 this year. I'm planning on being there again. They haven't decided on the location as yet. It could be in Manila again or in Cebu. You can always get good seats if you're willing to pay the price. Go early in the day to get the best seats. I would go at the end (the last few days), for the best matches with the best players. The first 3-4 days are all qualifying rounds to make it into the final 64. Then it's Single Elimination after that.

You can get all the information at Matchroom Sport on the internet. Matchroom.com I believe.

BlowFish
02-01-2008, 10:46 PM
Bro, it's nice to go at the last 5 days instead of the first 5 days. As always, go in early and get the best seat in the house. I usually get tickets in advance and can get you one. I can book the hotel for you as well. The hotels are plenty which ever location they choose. It all depends on how much you are willing to pay. Ones the venue is announced, we can open a thread to discuss hotels and places to play. I'm pretty sure to be there again this year.

gobrian77
02-02-2008, 12:59 AM
Cool- thanks for the info, guys.:)

I guess I'll plan on the last five days (I realize it's early, but I also wanna hit the MotoGP round in Malaysia, which will probably be in September, and need to start arranging my schedule).

I would have gone last year but finishing a new house kept me chained to the island.:rolleyes:

I'm looking forward to meeting a few folks (and playing a few sets).;)

BlowFish
02-02-2008, 01:07 AM
This year, there are 2 big events on the calendar, WPC (Nov. 1 to 10) or World 10-Ball (Nov. 11 to 16). I still can't decide which one to go to.

Vahmurka
02-02-2008, 02:16 PM
This year, there are 2 big events on the calendar, WPC (Nov. 1 to 10) or World 10-Ball (Nov. 11 to 16). I still can't decide which one to go to.yeah, that's what they announced in the schedule for the year: The calendar ends with a bang with the staging of the first WPA World Ten Ball Championship at the Araneta Coliseum on Nov. 10-16. Meaning the players are to stay there for 6 days more. I would love to catch both.

gobrian, last stages of the competition are better no doubt. Best players survived, less games left -> easier to watch more of them. Unless a local player was involved it was very easy to sit as close as you wanted, provided you took your seat in advance. I was there as a media representative so can't tell anything about the tickets and if they are related to some particular place - the chairs were not numbered, both last year and a year before.

Which hotel to book depends on a city (Manila or Cebu, the latter would offer limited choice I think) and a venue location. First time it was PICC, not very far from One Side and R'n'R poolhalls full of action, so it was wise to get a hotel nearby, everything was close. Last year it was Araneta, a bit far from One Side, so you got to choose if you want to be closer to the venue (your case must be) or action (I know some players who decided to move to Mabini St.). Hotel rates are not very high, it is possible to find a nice room for a very reasonable price.

Cuaba
02-02-2008, 02:46 PM
Brian,
I'll be there again. Tepawin (the player who represents Thailand) is a friend, so I got a players friend pass from him. It gave me full access to the venue, and good seats. I don't know how many passes he gets?

I'll be in Samui in April or May, and I'll try to stay at your resort. There should be about a half dozen of us coming, as I have friends from Germany visiting me in Thailand then.

I'll be playing Tepawin in April, so I'll inquire about guest passes. Let me know if you need anything else.

gobrian77
02-03-2008, 07:55 PM
Again, thanks for the good info.:)

Cuaba- if you're going to be here for Songkran (April 13th) and you want to stay at my place let me know as soon as possible as we're filling up pretty quick.:p

Guest passes would be very cool if they're available- we'll talk when you're here.:cool:

vin
02-03-2008, 08:45 PM
This year, there are 2 big events on the calendar, WPC (Nov. 1 to 10) or World 10-Ball (Nov. 11 to 16). I still can't decide which one to go to.
shempre both! :D

Vahmurka
02-04-2008, 12:38 PM
Guest passes would be very cool if they're availablelast year each player had only one GP. So you should hope they allow more next time ;)

Cuaba
02-06-2008, 04:01 PM
Cuaba- if you're going to be here for Songkran (April 13th) and you want to stay at my place let me know as soon as possible as we're filling up pretty quick.:

I'll be at Kao San & Bang Saan for Songkran. We'll come to Samui a couple weeks later (unless the weather is better in Phuket.)

I see that TG will now fly to Samui. Now I'll be able to get Star Alliance miles when I go there.

Let me know if you need any cues delivered.

gobrian77
02-07-2008, 08:58 PM
I'll be at Kao San & Bang Saan for Songkran. We'll come to Samui a couple weeks later (unless the weather is better in Phuket.)

I see that TG will now fly to Samui. Now I'll be able to get Star Alliance miles when I go there.

Let me know if you need any cues delivered.

I'm good on cues, but I REALLY need a decent rack- all I've got is a thin plastic one and a wodden one that was built too tight. I've got a decent 9-ball rack, but that's it (I haven't been using the Sardo- it's a hassle, frankly- live and learn:p ).

I've seen the A-Rack advertised in Inside Pool magazine- that one or any really high-quality rack would work.

If you wouldn't mind bringing one over, I would happily PayPal you the $ (before you actually bought it, of course).:cool:

TG is starting on the 15th- looks like they will undercut PG by maybe 10%, and they will use Airbus 319s and Boeing 737-400s (both of which hold about 150 pax)- Dr. Prasert is hitting them hard on landing fees (about 130K, or nearly 1K per passenger) so prices won't be dropping too low. We might also get direct flights from Samui to Dubai, Shanghai, Bali, and Kuala Lumpur.:)

smashmouth
02-07-2008, 09:38 PM
both events together makes no sense to me, like staging the US open the day after Wimbledon

who does this?

only in pool....

kaduku
02-07-2008, 11:32 PM
If you reallly want to see all the players it might be more beneficial to go to the early matches since all the players have to show up for their assigned matches. Although the later matches are more exciting, less players show up since they don't have to be there. Also, don't count on seeing all of them at One Side since they might check out the night life and rest rather than play money matches.

Cuaba
02-07-2008, 11:46 PM
Brian,
If you want the A-Rack, I'll bring you one. We can settle up when I get there. Its still a couple months away, so decide exactly what you want. Anything else?

gobrian77
02-08-2008, 01:01 AM
Brian,
If you want the A-Rack, I'll bring you one. We can settle up when I get there. Its still a couple months away, so decide exactly what you want. Anything else?

Whatever the best rack is (~$100 max)- black or dark wood if there is a choice, but anything is fine, really.:cool:

Again, it's no problem to pay you beforehand- PayPal or I can have a check sent from my US account.

I think I've got pretty much everything else I need (and several things I don't;) )- we'll talk be fore your arrival.

gobrian77
02-08-2008, 01:05 AM
If you reallly want to see all the players it might be more beneficial to go to the early matches since all the players have to show up for their assigned matches. Although the later matches are more exciting, less players show up since they don't have to be there. Also, don't count on seeing all of them at One Side since they might check out the night life and rest rather than play money matches.

That's also what I was thinking- everybody is going to be there the first few days, but most won't be sticking around if they're eliminated early.

Also, while I'm not an autograph hound (I don't think I've ever asked for one in my life:D ), I would really like to get several balls signed if possible so I could display them on a shelf near my table- I wanna get Strickland and Archer for sure, and I would probably have missed them last year if I had only shown up for the last few days.;)