PDA

View Full Version : Schon STL 15: advice and opinions PLEASE

atthecat
02-02-2008, 02:42 AM
Has anyone every played with a Schon STL 15? I'm thinking about buying one and wanted to get some opinions.
Thanks

Fast Lenny
02-02-2008, 02:49 AM
Schon is the best production cue ever made IMO and plays better then most custom cues also,you cant go wrong with Schon,i dont know if i have ever heard anything bad about the cues. :)

atthecat
02-02-2008, 02:53 AM
they say that they are custom cues. Is that not really correct?

nthamix
02-02-2008, 03:10 AM
(http://forums.azbilliards.com//showthread.php?t=60239)

B.

RiverCity
02-02-2008, 03:23 AM
You will find that most Schons play very similar. The model number has nothing to do with the quality, just the decoration. The STL 1 has the same quality control and material selection as the STL 15.
As far as the 15 goes, it is a nice looking cue, I used to own that design with green veneers.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v163/CaptHook/justisbottom.jpg
Chuck

Gerry
02-02-2008, 04:42 AM
Schon is a custom cue house with a "line" of cues they build IMO they are as custom as any.....they only have like 5 employees!! I have been selling and playing with them for 15 years, and every one plays great. I have yet to get a dog from them. My current player is an STL17 that is the finest cue I have ever owned....and I have played with Blacks, Phillippe, Joss, Black Boar, Motty, Judd...etc.

ABall
02-02-2008, 04:45 AM
There's some guy named Shane that shoots with a schon. I think his last name starts with a "V"? He shoots pretty damn sporty with his Schon.

jhendri2
02-02-2008, 04:53 AM
I've owned many many Schon's over the years. Excellent cues. You won't be disappointed with owning it.

Jim

Randy9Ball
02-02-2008, 06:28 AM
My main player is a Schon R12/15 that I've had for over 20 years. Great playing cues!

poolandpokerman
02-02-2008, 07:19 AM
I have 2 now, have played with others and bought others, but always go back to a Schon, to use a politically correct phrase, they are very "player friendly".....

Matt_24
02-02-2008, 07:56 AM
Schon's are some of the best playing cues I've ever used.

atthecat
02-02-2008, 11:24 AM
bumping for more info...thanks.

alstl
02-02-2008, 12:03 PM
I play with a stl7. I don't think the model number matters much, the joint and shaft taper is the same. Weight probably is the biggest difference between different Schons.

NINEBALLART
02-02-2008, 12:56 PM
Do all of you Schon users use the stock shaft that comes with the cue ???? And the tip that comes with it ??

Rocket354
02-02-2008, 02:41 PM
I've had an STL1 for about two months and I absolutely love it. For the longest time I've wanted to call up one of the big-shot name custom makers and have him make a 2-3k stick to my exact specifications, but now I might just stick with my $500 schon for the long haul.

I tried a Predator on my Schon and just didn't like it. I use the stock shaft, which is in my limited experience, the best shaft I've played with.

I have changed two things on my Schon: 1) I put on leather wrap instead of irish linen (thinking of going to stack leather now, as I've found I like wrapless far and away the best and stack leather is as close as one can get or so I've heard) and 2) I use a moori med tip. I just prefer a softer tip than their stock one.

Gerry
02-02-2008, 02:59 PM
Do all of you Schon users use the stock shaft that comes with the cue ???? And the tip that comes with it ??

I have tried an OB-1 on my Schon, but it just didn't do it for me after a few weeks. I played with the stock tip til it needed a change and I put on a Trianlge....which is damn close to the origional. I wish I could buy tips from Schon? I have also used Talisman medium and they are good on the Schon too.

poolplayer2093
02-02-2008, 03:09 PM
i don't think i'd ever get one. that ss joint doesn't do anything for me

hang-the-9
02-02-2008, 05:28 PM

Have you tried bying it dinner first? ;)

Schon hit is top notch solid. Firm but not jarring or lacking feedback as to what you just hit. I remember ways back I hit with a Black Boar, the Schon hit is pretty similar.

RiverCity
02-02-2008, 06:40 PM
Stock shaft Moori medium tips. I used to like really hard tips, but once I tried the Mooris I was hooked.
Chuck

cardsfan
02-02-2008, 07:15 PM
I bought a SP-49 made in the 90's, tapered down the shaft to 12.5, and absolutely love it. I tried it with an OB-1, but it softened the hit too much. I also put a Moori Med tip, the Schon tip was too hard for my game. Great cue for the money, good luck with the STL-15.
http://img116.imageshack.us/img116/5201/s7oj9jm0.jpg

JohnPT
02-02-2008, 07:42 PM
Schon's have a very good and consistent reputation. They could be better in the looks department though. The rounded points and inlays are quite poor compared to Adam's, Carolina's and etc. who make tight veneered and sharp points and inlays. Not as imortant in the overall scheme but nevertheless, it doesnt hurt if it looked even better.

nola22
02-02-2008, 08:03 PM
I have an stl-15 with a leather wrap and natural veneers. I think it's one of their better looking models though, as the previous poster mentioned, the points are a little rounded. I hated the original tip, but replaced it with a sniper, and the cue plays nice. Well balanced, firm hit, etc, etc, as has been reported many times in the forum.

StrokeofLuck
02-02-2008, 08:08 PM
There's some guy named Shane that shoots with a schon. I think his last name starts with a "V"? He shoots pretty damn sporty with his Schon.

I always thought SVB played with an older Joss and an after market shaft like a Predator?

SPINDOKTOR
02-02-2008, 10:10 PM
I agree with everyone, Schon is a great playing cue.. I have owned several, and I purchased all mine from Erik lee.. Awsome prices, and I was never disapointed..

SPINDOKTOR

ABall
02-02-2008, 10:17 PM
I always thought SVB played with an older Joss and an after market shaft like a Predator?

He's using a plain ebony 4 point Schon. He uses the same shaft from his Joss, that Dan Janes custom made for him; the one that said "shane" in the forearm.

atthecat
02-02-2008, 11:43 PM
Thanks for all the comments...now to buy one!

atthecat
02-03-2008, 01:15 PM
bump for more great info....thanks.

poohkiller
02-03-2008, 02:09 PM
I own an STL-4 with the Sch?nIV shaft - so it comes with an ivory ferrule. I am totally sold for this cue - it looks astonishing, amazingly elegant with a darker stained BEM forearm and the jet black ebony points and butt sleeve. If I could find a great and reliable leather worker I would give it to him to put a nice black leather wrap on it. However, I'm planning to sell it and get another, older Sch?n.

Sch?n is the very, very, very best cue in this price range.

As for the tip: I have received it about a month ago and I still have the original Sch?n tip on it - that feels: really hard. I've been planning changing it but I like it just enough to leave it on for a little more time.

asn130
02-03-2008, 11:48 PM
i own 2 schon cues & absolutely love them. My friend has a Mcdaniels cue that hits great & i think my schons hit just as good.

Also, schon must have some great shaft wood right now. I recently ordered 2 more shafts 13mm & 12.75mm with standard schon taper & standard ferrules. The 12.75 is 3.9oz & the 13mm is 4.5oz both are white, straight & tight grained.

As far as the taper, once you get used to it, you won't have any problems moving the cueball around. And if you like to really spin your ball, go for ivory ferrules.

here's my 2 schons

http://www.billiardstore.com/schon/gifs/99LTDS/SCH2000-LTD509.jpg

http://www.schoncues.com/assets/images/sp1106-800.jpg

poohkiller
02-04-2008, 03:27 AM
I totally agree with what you have said about the quality of the shafts you received. My shaft is 4.4 oz, really rich in growth rings and has got a very nice, bright color. Couldn't really ask for anything more!!

MalibuMike
10-01-2014, 12:21 AM
Has anyone every played with a Schon STL 15? I'm thinking about buying one and wanted to get some opinions.
Thanks

I have two, one with a gray stain and one with green veneers. they play awesome, classic look, not too over the top. A kinda Tiki Style!
I want to purchase every variation of this cue let me know if anything interesting comes up!

Atlatlien
10-01-2014, 05:28 AM

I can't stand any LD shaft that I have tried so far. On my SL-7, I use the Schon shaft, a '93 shaft specifically. I keep the shaft it came with as a backup in case my tip falls off or something. I have used the stock tip so far and now it's little more than a thin sliver of leather left. Planning on replacing it with one of The Renfro's Ki-Tech mediums soon.

Love my Schon, but I love it too much to take to many of the bars I play in. That's where the Joss comes out. :D

owll
10-01-2014, 06:51 AM

you sound like me, when im talking about southwest style joints....i cant make a ball with those dang things...

As for schons, ive owned a bunch of em, probably dozen or so (currently have 2). They hit on all of them are very similar. Schon does a very good job or making a high quality and VERY consistent product. I think they are well worth the money.

owll
10-01-2014, 06:55 AM
I have tried an OB-1 on my Schon, but it just didn't do it for me after a few weeks. I played with the stock tip til it needed a change and I put on a Trianlge....which is damn close to the origional. I wish I could buy tips from Schon? I have also used Talisman medium and they are good on the Schon too.

schon tips link http://www.seyberts.com/products/Schon_Cue_Tips-102770-10322.html

Jdm34
10-01-2014, 11:32 AM
I have had a stl-15 loved everything about it my previous cues were all low deflection cues so for me the original shaft were no good to much deflection so i moved on back to the predator.

yankee817299
10-02-2014, 05:57 AM
I own 2 Schon's, one with a stainless joint and the other with a phenolic joint. Two different cues IMO, but 2 very, very good cues.

Busboy
10-02-2014, 07:56 AM
Can't go wrong with a schon :thumbup:

MalibuMike
08-31-2015, 04:08 PM
I have two, one with a gray stain and one with green veneers. they play awesome, classic look, not too over the top. A kinda Tiki Style!
I want to purchase every variation of this cue let me know if anything interesting comes up!

And I keep going back to the Tiger ProX!
I even tried the OB "PLUS" I gave it a F-!

The Mezz Deep Impact makes a great Break Shaft for a STL-15!

Tramp Steamer
08-31-2015, 04:30 PM
World's best cue.
I've always considered Schon as a semi-production cue company, and I feel the STLs all play alike.
Put a Schon/Predator shaft on your Schon STL cue, and you'l be unstoppable. :)

9Ballr
08-31-2015, 05:47 PM
Thanks

You can't go wrong with a Schon.
They all play the same or close enough to be considered the same.
So just select the decoration you want and leave it at that.
Personally I'd just get the cheapest one and get a Z2 if you like
LD shafts ( I like small tips).
The Schon shafts are quite good too, so it's not like you need an LD.

Can't go wrong with them. Just get it and start having fun with it.

9Ballr
08-31-2015, 05:51 PM

I have two OB + shafts and they are both equally horrifically horrendous.
From now on if I want an LD it's Predator all the way.
They are consistent and the joints always matches perfectly and they
are readily available, unlike SS where I have to wait for months to get
one that in the end plays no better than the Z2.

stormshadow1
08-31-2015, 06:16 PM
I have a stl15 red and black plays very well. Highly recommend schon cues. I play with a elite e 35 now with predator shaft. I own many customs but the schon elite is one of my favorite players. Cannot go wrong with a schon cue.

Keith in Colorado

MalibuMike
09-09-2015, 11:49 AM
I can't stand any LD shaft that I have tried so far. On my SL-7, I use the Schon shaft, a '93 shaft specifically. I keep the shaft it came with as a backup in case my tip falls off or something. I have used the stock tip so far and now it's little more than a thin sliver of leather left. Planning on replacing it with one of The Renfro's Ki-Tech mediums soon.

Love my Schon, but I love it too much to take to many of the bars I play in. That's where the Joss comes out. :D

Got a 3rd one! A red one! with red and black stacked leather!

Bob 14:1
09-10-2015, 11:02 AM
I feel paying anything more than c.$500 is merely buying doo-dads. I love my Schon and also its simplicity.

http://www.billiardshowroom.com/schon/specialwebimages/r7cocobolo-800.jpg

RonRosas
09-10-2015, 02:16 PM
Thanks

He loves the cue and the design so much he has it in a bunch of colors. He breaks with a stl 15 . He is on my friends list, Mike Murphy. I have hit with it, its a nice cue. too fancy for me!
We both use the same tiger shaft though.

RonRosas
09-10-2015, 02:21 PM

The Mezz Deep Impact makes a great Break Shaft for a STL-15!

I just saw this message about your schon stl 15 I was going to call you, then I looked further and saw you saw it already.

SWN99
09-10-2015, 03:23 PM
While Schon have always been great solid playing cues, firm hit excellent craftsmanship , maybe try something new from Evan Clark at Segen www.segencues.com

MalibuMike
04-04-2016, 02:57 PM
I have tried every shaft out there and always kept going back to my Tiger Pro X, I finally found a shaft that is better!
The new 30" Tiger Pro X "Carom" its tip is 12.25mm compared to the 11.75 on the regular Pro-X, I am pocketing just as many if not more balls with just as much actions! and the 12.25mm tip is more forgiving, if you are slightly off center with the 11.75mm Pro-X you can put unwanted spin on the cue ball. They both shoot awesome, but I am missing less of the easy shots they I wasn't taking as much cue ball centering as I should have!

MalibuMike
02-14-2019, 01:26 PM
Thanks

Awesome deals on STL 15's and other exotic Schon Cues and many other top notch cues.
I just received my new Schon STL 15 SP, with White Butt, Mother of Pearl & White Stuff, Black & White Bushka Style Rings, with Ebony Back-end going into Gray stained Cocobolo forearm and awesome Black Leather Wrap! Troy goes to Schon and hand picks only their best looking cues for his stock. (Check out the New R-14 Remake! or the Jacoby with Dashed Stitched Joint, what a Combo that would make!)
I collect STL 15ís and this new SP cue is an awesome addition, and I bought it for about the same price as a standard STL 15, goes for! All About The Game, also has many accessories, Weights, new rubber bumpers, Schon Hybrid Shafts as well as many aftermarket LD shafts from other Custom Cue makers like the Jacoby Ultra Pro, with Schon Joints Both old-school Stitching or Nickel Ring joints. Also Troy is very knowledgably and helpful when it comes to answering questions concerning Schon cues and other cuemakers as well! I couldnít be happier with my new Schon STL-15 SP Gray!
Thanks' to... ALL About The Game Room!

Check them out! Schon Experts!
Ebay Store: All About The Game Room

Email: TNTCues@gmail.com

RonRosas
02-14-2019, 02:47 PM
Ask MalibuMike about STL 15's, that is all he plays with. He gets them from an outfit called "All about the Gameroom" near Schon, the owner goes to schon and handpicks all their best cues. He also sells vintage Schons and a host of other cues. I saw Mike last night at Diamond Billiards and his new SP 15 is awesome!
https://forums.azbilliards.com/picture.php?albumid=2110&pictureid=18936
https://forums.azbilliards.com/picture.php?albumid=2110&pictureid=18937
https://forums.azbilliards.com/picture.php?albumid=2110&pictureid=18938
The murf-dawg
https://forums.azbilliards.com/picture.php?albumid=2110&pictureid=18939