PDA

View Full Version : Bar Table Tournament Idea.

gpeezy
02-04-2008, 10:54 AM
In a rack your own tournament, I beleive the 9 should spot if its made in the bottom corner pockets like the do in some 10 ball games. I watch the 9 get snapped in too many times in Shannon's tournament at Diamond's a couple of weeks ago. What do you guys think?

easy-e
02-04-2008, 10:58 AM
It's both players responsibility to make sure the rack is good. Making the 9on the break is a part of 9-ball. I wouldn't mind though, I am pretty easy when it comes to the rules as long as they are established beforehand.

kryptonite9
02-04-2008, 11:15 AM
Both the Blaze 9-ball tour and the new Robles Predator tour have this exact rule. Rack your own, the 9 spots in the bottom two. No one is checking racks and complaining anymore. I even ask many who I play with to gamble this way as well.

This is a great rule to speed up play and negate many arguements.:)

Mike Templeton
02-04-2008, 11:22 AM
I like the rule...................

hang-the-9
02-04-2008, 11:49 AM
Here is the thing with spotting up the 9-ball. What if you make the 9, but the spot is between the cueball and the next object ball? So now the spotted 9 is blocking your shot. Maybe the rule should be to spot it on the either the head or foot spot if the 9 would be blocking a shot. During practice racks we usually spot the 9 and shooter gets ball-in hand, but during a match that would be a bit too much of a spot I think.

Cuebacca
02-04-2008, 11:50 AM
In a rack your own tournament, I beleive the 9 should spot if its made in the bottom corner pockets like the do in some 10 ball games. I watch the 9 get snapped in too many times in Shannon's tournament at Diamond's a couple of weeks ago. What do you guys think?

Making it "Rack-your-own and 9 spots when made in the bottom two corners" is the greatest idea since sliced bread.

Personally, I'd take it a step further and let the 9 spot if it's made in ANY pocket on the break. That's just my opinion. That being said, it goes in the top 4 pockets so rarely that it's not even worth it to me to make a case for it. LOL.

Just taking care of those bottom 2 pockets and making it rack-your-own eliminates probably my top two pet peeves about 9-ball.

Jude Rosenstock
02-04-2008, 11:53 AM
I think it should just be simplified. How about getting rid of 9s on the break altogether? Seriously, I think this is best. Nothing needs to be explained then.

Cuebacca
02-04-2008, 11:56 AM
Here is the thing with spotting up the 9-ball. What if you make the 9, but the spot is between the cueball and the next object ball? So now the spotted 9 is blocking your shot. Maybe the rule should be to spot it on the either the head or foot spot if the 9 would be blocking a shot. During practice racks we usually spot the 9 and shooter gets ball-in hand, but during a match that would be a bit too much of a spot I think.

There are several sub-rules that could be implemented to solve this, if necessary. I believe the way the Florida tour does it is to allow the breaker the option to wait until his 2nd shot after the break if spotting the 10-ball would create any kind of bother for him/her.

klockdoc
02-04-2008, 12:10 PM
Both the Blaze 9-ball tour and the new Robles Predator tour have this exact rule. Rack your own, the 9 spots in the bottom two. No one is checking racks and complaining anymore. I even ask many who I play with to gamble this way as well.

This is a great rule to speed up play and negate many arguements.:)

I don't know about you or others, but, I check the rack to insure the balls are touching. Not specifically for being able to make the nine.

I want to make any ball on the break to have continue control of the table. Even if this rule was incorporated, I would still be checking racks.

Cuebacca
02-04-2008, 12:14 PM
I don't know about you or others, but, I check the rack to insure the balls are touching. Not specifically for being able to make the nine.

I want to make any ball on the break to have continue control of the table. Even if this rule was incorporated, I would still be checking racks.

He is talking about rack-your-own though. So I think he means that no one is checking the other person's rack. :)