PDA

View Full Version : Ocean's 8 @ Brownstone Billiards - Brooklyn, NY

Jude Rosenstock
02-04-2008, 11:26 AM
So a little over a year ago, I moved back to Brooklyn and I haven't really had the chance to go hunting for a local room to play in. Initially, I sorta wrote-off Brownstone Billiards since the last time I went there (perhaps 3 or 4 years ago), it looked no different than it did 3 years before that. Since then, they've obviously renovated and have a league going on so it's easy to say things have changed.

Before I go down there which will likely be sometime this week, I was hoping I could hear what some people here had to say about the place. Are there a lot of regulars? If so, are they gamblers and/or league players? How's the equipment now? The pics show some well-clothed tables but I see a few faded ones as well. I also see a lot of other activities (bowling, air hockey, videogames). Is it distractingly loud or do the sounds kinda blend?

By far, this is the closest room to me so I'm hoping it could serve as a pleasant local alternative from time to time. Anything that you can say about the place would be appreciated.

http://www.oceans8atbrownstone.com/

corvette1340
02-04-2008, 11:30 AM
So a little over a year ago, I moved back to Brooklyn and I haven't really had the chance to go hunting for a local room to play in. Initially, I sorta wrote-off Brownstone Billiards since the last time I went there (perhaps 3 or 4 years ago), it looked no different than it did 3 years before that. Since then, they've obviously renovated and have a league going on so it's easy to say things have changed.

Before I go down there which will likely be sometime this week, I was hoping I could hear what some people here had to say about the place. Are there a lot of regulars? If so, are they gamblers and/or league players? How's the equipment now? The pics show some well-clothed tables but I see a few faded ones as well. I also see a lot of other activities (bowling, air hockey, videogames). Is it distractingly loud or do the sounds kinda blend?

By far, this is the closest room to me so I'm hoping it could serve as a pleasant local alternative from time to time. Anything that you can say about the place would be appreciated.

http://www.oceans8atbrownstone.com/

Does George Clooney play there?

Black-Balled
02-04-2008, 11:34 AM
Looks like you will have the place to yourself. Nice.

cleary
02-04-2008, 12:10 PM
Yea, I must admit they put a whole lot of money in the place. The first time I was there was over a year ago and it looked like a great place to get robbed (and not just at on the table). But since then they really put a lot of money in the room and its pretty nice now. The last time I was there.... maybe around October, the tables were still in slightly rough shape. Maybe about the same as Broadway Billiards. Most of the ball returns dont work correctly and the balls end up rolling around the place. Also, if its busy with ping pong and bowling, it can be pretty annoying. If you go during the day, there are some decent regulars looking for money games and I believe they have a lot of apa regulars as well. Last summer I played there a lot during the day when it was under construction. So yea, its been about 4 months at least since ive been there, so the tables could be in better shape now.

IM not too far away from the place, but Parkslope Billiards is only a couple blocks away and I like it a lot more.

Travis Bickle
02-04-2008, 12:31 PM
I've been there a few times over the past few months. Closest to me for some daytime shooting. On the plus side, it opens at 9 a.m. Bar area's pretty nice now ... you definitely could feel OK about dropping in to see a game there. Usually have some good old R&B playing during the day, never been at night.

Be interested to hear what you think of the tables. There are a couple that play deceptively fast. Cloth on all are fairly worn and slick, but a few tables have bouncy rails that compensate somewhat and play reasonably OK. Some of the tables, I believe, are clunky old Medalists. Still kind of dank down there, with lino floors. I was told they can't improve on that because they flood now and then!

Also, I'd seriously think of bringing my own ball set, if I had. I'd rate the conditions a notch or so down from Bway Billiards, at this point. I'm also more likely to go to Park Slope Billiards (where they've recently reclothed the tables) at night, or Skyline during the day, if I've got a little time.