PDA

View Full Version : a new game to me.. but I didn't get to play it...

softshot
03-14-2008, 01:04 AM
I was shooting with a friend I've been playing with for a long time he's pretty good... and his dad was in town his dad currently lives in Arizona. we only got a couple games before he had to leave.

but he was telling me about a game he plays out west. he called it 15:1 .. its played like 8 ball but the 15 ball and the 1 ball are spotted near the side pockets.. and each time you sink the one belonging to your group you earn points...and the ball is spotted similar to snooker

I love learning new pool games. and was very disappointed that there was not enough time to play it with him..

has anyone heard of this???

if so... what are the rules? and how is it played?

frankncali
03-14-2008, 01:12 AM
I was shooting with a friend I've been playing with for a long time he's pretty good... and his dad was in town his dad currently lives in Arizona. we only got a couple games before he had to leave.

but he was telling me about a game he plays out west. he called it 15:1 .. its played like 8 ball but the 15 ball and the 1 ball are spotted near the side pockets.. and each time you sink the one belonging to your group you earn points...and the ball is spotted similar to snooker

I love learning new pool games. and was very disappointed that there was not enough time to play it with him..

has anyone heard of this???

if so... what are the rules? and how is it played?

I have played it or a variation of it. As I understand this was the original
way eight ball was played. I have never seen anyone under 65 or so play it this way.

The way it is played here and the way I played it is that whoever has solids has to pocket the ONE in its designated side pocket before he can make the eight and the STRIPES guy has to do the same with his ball. If you make it in another pocket it spots.
These guysI played with literally took more shots at the others "side pocket ball" trying to move it into a bad position than they did trying to run out.
I have never heard it called 15.1 though.

I think someone here posted something about it within the past year.

Many of the senior centers in SoCal have tables and as I understand most use this or a variation as their standard game.

thyme3421
03-15-2008, 03:32 PM
I've played a game a lot like this. Slight difference though. It was racked like regular 8ball... after the break we didn't spot any balls or move anything... just play the table as it laid.
Before the game began we decided "This is my side pocket, that's yours"

Regular BCA rules and if I ended up with stripes, my 15 had to go in my side pocket. if I had solids... 1 had to go into my pocket.

It was a lot of fun. Kind of like 1 pocket 8ball. Weird, but I liked it a pretty good amount. Completely forgot about it until you mentioned it.

Maybe I'll play it tonight......

Pushout
03-15-2008, 03:44 PM
Lots of variations. Heard of this years ago.

renard
03-15-2008, 04:51 PM
This is a good game to play on coin op tables to stretch your money further.

Link for rules on 15:1:

http://infohost.nmt.edu/~billiard/house_rules/one_fifteen_eight_ball.html