PDA

View Full Version : Soon to be jobless. Need practice routine

TheNewSharkster
03-14-2008, 01:24 PM
Hi,

I will be unemployed as of March 31st. I have been trying to think of things to do with my time while I look for a new job. I love the game of pool and play a couple times a week for the last 10 years. I am a SL6 in APA and know my way around a pool table. In the last few years it seems like my game has leveled off. I think this is a good oppertunity to elevate my game since I believe more practice is the only way to do so.

I have read some books on pool, including 99 Most Critical Shots.

I would like to come up with a daily routine to improve my consistency, cue ball control and aiming. I would appreciate any feedback on a effective routine. Ideally I would like to play several hours each day 5-6 days a week.

Thanks in advance!:)
Ian

Tristan
03-14-2008, 02:51 PM
Ian,

One routine you might want to try is laying a piece of paper on the pool table, say, your local newspaper's job classifieds, and attempting to slow-roll the cue ball and have it stop as close to the center of the help wanted section as possible. There are several websites that have some great position drills, too, such as careerbuilder.com, governmentjobs.com, and welfare.grocery-credits.net.

If you're the kind of player who is easily sharked by shady opponents, try bringing your starving children to the pool hall with you. If you can run out despite their hunger-frenzied cries, you know you've got nerves of steel.

If you find the time, purchase Robert Byrne's Play Your Best Pool with your wife's paycheck. It doubles as great kindling if, by chance, your electricity is shut off.

It's best to practice early, when your mind is fresh, so make sure to wake up at 2:00pm sharp (just in time for "Days Of Our Lives").

Remember, if you're as dedicated to practicing pool as you are to your career, you're sure to give up, underachieve, and/or fail miserably before the year is up!

:D
Regards,

TheNewSharkster
03-14-2008, 03:01 PM
Funny! Glad I wasn't drink soda while reading that :)

I am looking for a new job but in the event I end up with a month or two off I would like to use my spare time to improve my game since its hard to play as much as I would like when I have a full time job.

BVal
03-14-2008, 03:03 PM
Funny! Glad I wasn't drink soda while reading that :)

I am looking for a new job but in the event I end up with a month or two off I would like to use my spare time to improve my game since its hard to play as much as I would like when I have a full time job.
Made me laugh too. Nice to see a sense of humor. Good luck with the pool thing.

Oh ya and the job thing as well. :D

BVal

Pushout
03-14-2008, 03:06 PM
If you find the time, purchase Robert Byrne's Play Your Best Pool with your wife's paycheck. It doubles as great kindling if, by chance, your electricity is shut off.

Uh...Capelle.

TheNewSharkster
03-14-2008, 03:17 PM
Uh...Capelle.

Does his book have routines? Most of the books (I have seen) teach you shots and have some drills but seem to be lacking a good routine that encompasses a lot of the shots in a short period of time.

BVal
03-14-2008, 03:18 PM
Does his book have routines? Most of the books (I have seen) teach you shots and have some drills but seem to be lacking a good routine that encompasses a lot of the shots in a short period of time.
Maybe take shots that you know you need to work on and build your own routine. I mean - You have time :). Seriously though - find something that works for you.

BVal

TheNewSharkster
03-14-2008, 03:24 PM
Maybe take shots that you know you need to work on and build your own routine. I mean - You have time :). Seriously though - find something that works for you.

BVal

Well I have been clicking around and saw the 'Ask the Pros' board. This routine looks as good as any-
http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=78217

At least for something to start with.

Gregg
03-14-2008, 03:58 PM
Ian,

One routine you might want to try is laying a piece of paper on the pool table, say, your local newspaper's job classifieds, and attempting to slow-roll the cue ball and have it stop as close to the center of the help wanted section as possible. There are several websites that have some great position drills, too, such as careerbuilder.com, governmentjobs.com, and welfare.grocery-credits.net.

If you're the kind of player who is easily sharked by shady opponents, try bringing your starving children to the pool hall with you. If you can run out despite their hunger-frenzied cries, you know you've got nerves of steel.

It's best to practice early, when your mind is fresh, so make sure to wake up at 2:00pm sharp (just in time for "Days Of Our Lives").

Remember, if you're as dedicated to practicing pool as you are to your career, you're sure to give up, underachieve, and/or fail miserably before the year is up!

:D
Regards,

With posts like that, you'll have the rep of a seasoned AZer in no time. That was beyond any shadow of a doubt the funnest thing I have read, seen, or heard in months.

BTW...I couldn't agree more with your main point, and really have nothing to add.

Joe T
03-14-2008, 04:07 PM
That workout posted by Louis is a great place to start for sure. Thanks for reposting it because I hadn't seen it before. Can't believe it didn't get more responses, its like free $$$, those are all shots we all need to master.
I was one of the ones wondering what he had been doing lately to show such consistency. Once again no mystery, practice, practice, practice.

Blackjack
03-14-2008, 04:38 PM
Click the link to my book in my signature. The download is $12.50 - I have some stuff in there that goes against the norm - NO ROUTINES - but good practice to advance you game above and beyond your expectations.

As always - you can always contact me here via this forum or via telephone to coach you individually - and you can't beat the price.

Blackjack

Get_A_Grip
03-14-2008, 04:43 PM
You know, there are a lot of funny posters on here -- but that post was great -- and made me laugh out loud (and I'm a stuffed-shirt of sorts). :D

bigpocket
03-14-2008, 07:28 PM
ya jobs are over rated !!!!!

jjollie
03-14-2008, 09:09 PM
Just ordered your downloadable book David...looks very interesting. Thanks for all you give to our sport.

jjollie

Travis Bickle
03-14-2008, 10:05 PM
Hell, it may not be true in pool or anything, but it has been said that 90% of success is just showin' up! Can't tell you how many wanna-be pool players I know who say, when I ask them how they've been hitting em, tell me they haven't picked up a cue in the weeks/months since we hit last! Just go, put the balls on the table, and it might come to you.:)

And sympathies! These are tough times. With the economic meltdown getting worse by the week, I know that if my wife doesn't land something soon, my table time's gonna be seriously curtailed ... unless I can find a few custies. Only can count maybe 2 right now and don't see them nearly often enough!

dr9ball
03-14-2008, 10:09 PM
I'd say just do the Mother Drills and SPF

After All SPF....It's more than just SunScreen.

Good luck,

Rufus

TheNewSharkster
03-15-2008, 01:21 PM
Click the link to my book in my signature. The download is $12.50 - I have some stuff in there that goes against the norm - NO ROUTINES - but good practice to advance you game above and beyond your expectations.

As always - you can always contact me here via this forum or via telephone to coach you individually - and you can't beat the price.

Blackjack

Oustanding! I will check it out:) I won't bother you unless I have to :D

renard
03-15-2008, 04:55 PM
Joe Tuckers little green book works just fine. ;)