PDA

View Full Version : First Generation Sardo Tight Rack

CocoboloCowboy
03-16-2008, 09:36 AM
My buddy has a First Generation Sardo Tight Rack sitting in the box, have been used a couple of times, and he would like to sell it. Has no ideas as to it value now. Anyone got any ideas?

Blackjack
03-16-2008, 09:40 AM
My buddy has a First Generation Sardo Tight Rack sitting in the box, have been used a couple of times, and he would like to sell it. Has no ideas as to it value now. Anyone got any ideas?

IMO, It's not worth half as much as that computer that Josh tossed in the trash last week.

CocoboloCowboy
03-16-2008, 09:43 AM
IMO, It's not worth half as much as that computer that Josh tossed in the trash last week.

So are you saying the NEW Sardo is better, or your do not like all Tight Racks by Sardo?

Blackjack
03-16-2008, 10:18 AM
So are you saying the NEW Sardo is better, or your do not like all Tight Racks by Sardo?

They have greatly improved the product since that original model. I doubt anyone would want it, unless they were collecting stuff like that.

av84fun
03-16-2008, 11:15 AM
They have greatly improved the product since that original model. I doubt anyone would want it, unless they were collecting stuff like that.

I have an original but don't use it anymore. However, I don't think that the newer models are anything but newer. They both rely on "rack tapping" and I get just as tight a rack with my tradional heavy wood rack anyway.

If the rack area is free of litter and the spot is replaced frequently before the dent removes all options other than moving the 1 ball ahead or behind it, then I have no difficulty getting all 9 balls nested with a traditional rack.

Besides, certain racking "errors" can actually benefit the breaker so the best of all possibly worlds is the allow rack imperfections that benefit you and require re-racking when they don't.

Just my $0.02.

Regards,
Jim

CocoboloCowboy
03-16-2008, 03:31 PM

Thanks for the reply. I did try it once, and it did rack tight.:rolleyes:

worriedbeef
03-16-2008, 03:36 PM
what i've never understood about the sardo rack and similar is that if they need the table to be tapped, what's the point in using it??

why not just roll the balls in the divets with your fingers like they do on the eurotour for example?

once the table is tapped you don't need a sardo rack.

CocoboloCowboy
03-16-2008, 06:56 PM
Thanks for more input.

av84fun
03-16-2008, 10:53 PM
what i've never understood about the sardo rack and similar is that if they need the table to be tapped, what's the point in using it??

why not just roll the balls in the divets with your fingers like they do on the eurotour for example?

once the table is tapped you don't need a sardo rack.

Sure seems to have sold a lot of product! (-:

All it does is to do mechanically what anyone could do with their hands and a quality traditional rack.

The downward push just keeps "tapping the dents."

There is no magic to the Sardo rack. Just tap the balls every time you rack with a traditional rack and you will accomplish the same thing.

But absent cloth and/or ball imperfections, balls don't roll off their positions by magic. Usually, it is the 1 ball that causes the trouble.

Place the CB where you think the center of the spot is then move the eight balls back a half inch and the rack forward slightly. If the 1 Balls remains stationary, SLOWLY move the rack back so it touches the 1 ball without moving it, then move the eight balls back up and snug them with your hands.

Then carefully push the rack forward and then remove it. If the 1 ball doesn't move (which you have already confirmed by the above procedure) then the rest of the balls won't move either...again, absent some imperfection.

And change the spot OFTEN.

Regards,
Jim

rackem
03-16-2008, 11:07 PM
The newer models are lighter, cheaper to make thus less expensive for the buyer. They are also easier to get the balls into. All Sardos still need to have the table trained to work properly.
I personally feel a perfect rack is bad for the game. It makes the break too predictable.

beav99_4life
03-17-2008, 12:58 AM
Funny story about the oringal sardo tight rack. I was working at a big pool hall here in Columbus when it came out. We ordered one to see how well it worked. The first day we got it we racked about 8 racks with it and every player in the pool hall decided it was the biggest piece of junk ever (including corey deuel, it was his old home room). I went up to that pool hall about 2 years ago and we were talking about it, i asked if it was still around. They pulled it out from under the counter and it had about half an inch of dust on it, lol. No one had used it since.