PDA

View Full Version : Production cue vs Custom cue

TheNewSharkster
03-16-2008, 01:36 PM
I know with a custom cue you can define the specifications (you can do the same to a certain extent with a production cue as well) but I am curious what are some of the differences you might "feel" between the two.

I am also curious about how both types of cues are made and if there is a advantage one way or another.

trustyrusty
03-16-2008, 04:25 PM
you will feel better playing with a pricier custom cue therefore more confidence shooting with it. Sorry couldn't resist...if SVB can play with a Joss or Schon (whichever he's playing now), it goes to show you it's more about your skills than who made the cue or what materials it's made out of....besides "FEEL" is SO subjective. I've played with a buddy's $2K Southwest, and didn't particularly lke the stiff hit of it, but played with another friend's $400 Diveney and LOVED it. I also prefer wood to wood over piloted stainless too (ex. Mcdermott over Joss), and I know a ton of guys that are exactly the opposite.....

conclusion, up to you

Newton
03-16-2008, 04:54 PM
I know with a custom cue you can define the specifications (you can do the same to a certain extent with a production cue as well) but I am curious what are some of the differences you might "feel" between the two.

I am also curious about how both types of cues are made and if there is a advantage one way or another.

If you have some money left, you could spend them on a custom cue with "you're" eye candy placed where ever you like it to be. The playability however do depend on the construction of the cue and it's wood.
A easy way to investigate this is to have a run with you're friends pool cues (hopefully not the same as you'rs) and see if you find any characteristics you like better than others. Typical joint types as ..rusty mention and if you know the construction make a note of this.
Then you could see if you find anything which is a common "theme" for you and decide if you would like to go further and order a one of a kind custom.
At this stage you pretty much on you're own where you need to judge the different cuemakers products in respect of you're needs.

N

TheNewSharkster
03-16-2008, 06:28 PM
^I bought a Jacoby. What do you think about these?

Newton
03-16-2008, 06:43 PM
^I bought a Jacoby. What do you think about these?

If you refer to my post by the ^, I have not played with one. But one of the best players in my country is using one, so I don't think you have missed by a football field. Again, this is very subjective and is depending on each one of us own preferences.
If you like it, use it. If you find it hard to do "something" with like backspin or what ever, don't stick to it because it's a "brand X" cue to show off in the pool hall.
Give it some more weeks and see if it's "grows on you" and you feel better and better. If it does, stick with it and continue practicing.

Some sticks to the same cue for X years and really learn to know it and beat many highflyers with cues costing in the $1000s. The only problem with this is that they might stick to something which is not optimum for them.
A simple migration to a different cue could be perfect, while they have spent many years learning cue X.

Making a change in cue is for sure something which inflicts me, so I'm testing every new thing I could come over to see if it's improving my game.

N

CocoboloCowboy
03-16-2008, 06:55 PM
In indeed you are new to Pool, invest in Lessons, when you get good you can buy your DEARM Cue with you winnings.

TheNewSharkster
03-16-2008, 07:00 PM
In indeed you are new to Pool, invest in Lessons, when you get good you can buy your DEARM Cue with you winnings.

I have been playing for about a decade. In APA I am a SL6. I have been thinking about lessons though:D

SPINDOKTOR
03-16-2008, 08:24 PM
Production cues are fine for most, some are built well and perform... those seeking custom cues want what you cant get in a production, the ability to have a cue look the way you want, balanced the way you like, and even hit the way you want a cue to hit. you have so many more options..

so Id say, If you want a "personalized" cue you need to look into the custom cue market, If your ok with many other people owning the exact same cue you have, then production cues are fine...

I dont think its fair to a custom cue maker to compare thier cues to production, you can compare them to other custom cues, but not to a cookie cutter production... They just dont have the resoures a big name company has, and cant possibly compete with the prices..

For years I have only played with production cues, when I finaly wanted to get serious a custom was the only route...

SPINDOKTOR

trustyrusty
03-16-2008, 09:23 PM
Production cues are fine for most, some are built well and perform... those seeking custom cues want what you cant get in a production, the ability to have a cue look the way you want, balanced the way you like, and even hit the way you want a cue to hit. you have so many more options..

so Id say, If you want a "personalized" cue you need to look into the custom cue market, If your ok with many other people owning the exact same cue you have, then production cues are fine...

I dont think its fair to a custom cue maker to compare thier cues to production, you can compare them to other custom cues, but not to a cookie cutter production... They just dont have the resoures a big name company has, and cant possibly compete with the prices..

For years I have only played with production cues, when I finaly wanted to get serious a custom was the only route...

SPINDOKTOR

your last statement is what has me puzzled. Is SVB not "serious"? Or, is it just that he's not as serious as you (or maybe 'enlightened' to how much better he could play with Joe Cuemakers cue)? I really don't mean to be smart-allecky about it, but can't you just say that you prefer a custom cue, without tying the "serious" players play 'em type of comment? I've heard most of the arguments against the lowly production cues, but if you know what balance point, joint type, etc. that you prefer, most production cues can hook you up with what you like. Jacoby, Schon, Joss, Viking, Mcdermott, etc., if you were to call them, they'd be willing to find something to fit ya. You might not be able to pick EXACTLY what the finished product looks like, but you could in most cases tell them what woods you prefer too....

Now, the woods argument (who CHOOSES their woods better) I will not argue, cuz I really don't care....if it plays the way I want I don't care how much cocobolo or whatever they sifted through to choose just the right piece. Sorry, that's just me.

manwon
03-16-2008, 09:58 PM

Hello and welcome to the AZ. My new posters ask the very question you have asked here. Az Billiards has a very good Archive, and most of the questions you have can be easily answered there.

Again welcome and check out the Archive, you may be surprised how much information is there.

Have a good night!!

RRfireblade
03-16-2008, 11:14 PM

It all really depends on specifically what your comparing to what , otherwise your pretty much talking in large generalizations.

SPINDOKTOR
03-16-2008, 11:21 PM
SVB can play with whatever suits him, Production cues dont do it for me, as I need a longer than standard cue, so when I started to get serious I decided it was time to have a cue built to suit me.. Production cues, are for the most part around all the same length, well quess what? A standard length cue doesnt fit me...

Like in most other sports, when you get serious, you have custom tailored equipment, I am no differnt..Some may prefere standard equipment, you know..But Id bet SVB's cue is modified in some way.. Now If you hand him a off the line production cue before he enters a tourney and wins, then your argument may be worth noting, untill them, take my comments any way youd like.

But your right about some production cues being tailored, but then they are not production...

SPINDOKTOR

A custom cue is any cue personalized to suit you, thats my definition, so yes a production cue modified to fit you is a custom cue...

your last statement is what has me puzzled. Is SVB not "serious"? Or, is it just that he's not as serious as you (or maybe 'enlightened' to how much better he could play with Joe Cuemakers cue)? I really don't mean to be smart-allecky about it, but can't you just say that you prefer a custom cue, without tying the "serious" players play 'em type of comment? I've heard most of the arguments against the lowly production cues, but if you know what balance point, joint type, etc. that you prefer, most production cues can hook you up with what you like. Jacoby, Schon, Joss, Viking, Mcdermott, etc., if you were to call them, they'd be willing to find something to fit ya. You might not be able to pick EXACTLY what the finished product looks like, but you could in most cases tell them what woods you prefer too....

Now, the woods argument (who CHOOSES their woods better) I will not argue, cuz I really don't care....if it plays the way I want I don't care how much cocobolo or whatever they sifted through to choose just the right piece. Sorry, that's just me.

TheNewSharkster
03-17-2008, 12:05 AM
Hello and welcome to the AZ. My new posters ask the very question you have asked here. Az Billiards has a very good Archive, and most of the questions you have can be easily answered there.

Again welcome and check out the Archive, you may be surprised how much information is there.

Have a good night!!

Great! I didn't know about the archives. I will check them out.

Hail Mary Shot
03-17-2008, 12:25 AM
CUSTOM CUE = your personal preference on how and what your cue is made of. materials, playability, appearance and construction.

PRODUCTION CUE = general preference of a cue. playability.

Peer
03-17-2008, 03:10 AM

Since you don't know this guy, why would you go off on him like this? Besides, since you, CocoboloCowboy, indeed need some English lessons, why don't you "invest" in some classes before lecturing people.

-- peer

Newton
03-17-2008, 04:07 AM
Since you don't know this guy, why would you go off on him like this? Besides, since you, CocoboloCowboy, indeed need some English lessons, why don't you "invest" in some classes before lecturing people.

-- peer

I agree.
Giving people a "welcome" like that is for sure not the way to go.
By the way Per; Fine bilder du hadde paa siden din. Ble nesten litt stolt av aa vaere norsk :D
N

Fatboy
03-17-2008, 04:26 AM

since you dont know me i'll share a little abit about me, everyone else can skip this,

i have played since 82, in pool rooms since 85, i'm an ok player but am very sensitive to cues meaning that I can feel them real good and know what I like and dont like, I own a few cues from the bottem end to the high end cues, i have awalys been a cue guy i just love them, everything about them. so thats me, now to answere your question,

every cue is different no matter who made it, prices dont mean a thing its all the cue, i have a custome cue that is worth about $5000 that sucks, I have played with $100 beat up old junk Chinese cues that were awesome, those are exceptions. As a rule yes the more expensive cues do feel better but that theory "my own opinion" holds true up to about $2000 to maybe $2500 anthing more than that is just making the cue look fancy etc.

if you have been playing for a short period of time less than a year try every cue you can, borrow cues if possible, some you realize they arnt for you in 5 minutes, try everything, it took me 2 years to figure what I really liked and I couldnt afford it so I settled on a Joss East for $300 IMO its the best bang for the buck.

also over time your taste in cues may change as your game changes.

Bugz
03-17-2008, 06:52 AM
At first I liked the "prestige" that came with the custom cues. I really looked up to Custmqs and all of those nice cues he had.

Then I took lessons from Scott Lee. After those lessons, my Schon did not cut it for me. Now with my Rick Howard it is alot easier to "throw" the cue through the cueball and it feels like an extention of my arm. I don't think my ego grew with Howard, I just feel comfortable now. After a Cuetec, Meucci, Lucasi, Predator, and a Schon. I finally found a cue that feels and hits a way that I like.

I feel with the exception of Predator/Schon and some other unique productions. Your typical banger will grow into a custom as their game grows.

P.S.

SVB can play with whatever he wants. I bet if you took a house cue, put mcarta ferrule and Moori tip on it. SVB would go out and run racks with that too. I hate when someone brings up a pro and the equipment they use. I'd put my life savings on SVB beating me with a turned down broom stick at Barbox 8 ball.

Maniac
03-17-2008, 07:10 AM
also over time your taste in cues may change as your game changes.

This statement pretty much explains it all in a nutshell.

BTW, my main player is a Jacoby w/314-2, Triangle tip. I love this setup, but about 75% of the Earths players probably wouldn't care for it at all.

Don't get too hung up on any one cue until you have hit with as many different ones as possible. Even if you finally settle on one, like Fatboy says, your tastes could change somewhere down the road.

Maniac

RRfireblade
03-17-2008, 10:05 AM
. . . As a rule yes the more expensive cues do feel better but that theory "my own opinion" holds true up to about $2000 to maybe $2500 anthing more than that is just making the cue look fancy etc.

I totally disagree.

I think it kicks in at $1200 to $1500. ;)

TheNewSharkster
03-17-2008, 10:05 AM

-- peer

Yeah, that guys english was so bad I didn't know if he was trying to be funny or rude. I don't really care. The questions I am asking really don't have much bearing on my talent in billiards. I was more curious since I recently purchased a Jacoby which I am waiting for.

I currently shoot with a Joss (which has a very nice hit IMO).

TheNewSharkster
03-17-2008, 10:10 AM
Thanks Fatboy! That was helpful.