PDA

View Full Version : Ebay scams are ridiculous!!!!

madhaterm3
03-16-2008, 07:25 PM
Sold an OB-1 shaft on Ebay. Buyer pays with an E-check... so I wait for it to clear, which it does. Buyer has an unconfirmed address, so I confirm their address is correct using Ebay's mail system like Paypal said to do in this situation. They confirmed. I shipped using USPS priority with Delivery Confirmation and $200 insurance.

The buyer contacted me today saying he has not received it. I look up track and confirm and get this:

Label/Receipt Number: 0306 3030 0002 4811 0434

Your item was forwarded to a different address at 9:19 AM on March 12, 2008 in GOLD HILL, OR 97525. This was because of forwarding instructions or because the address or ZIP Code on the label was incorrect. Information, if available, is updated every evening. Please check again later.

BAH!

TheNewSharkster
03-17-2008, 10:43 AM
Could just be the wrong address. Either way you got paid so it isn't really a scam.

Black-Balled
03-17-2008, 10:45 AM
I always email the winner and require a response to 'where should your item be mailed?'. It puts the responsibility on the winner to conver correct address.

madhaterm3
03-17-2008, 11:22 AM
I always email the winner and require a response to 'where should your item be mailed?'. It puts the responsibility on the winner to conver correct address. Yeah, I do this on any thats not "confirmed"

Could just be the wrong address. Either way you got paid so it isn't really a scam.

Well... here is the thing... if it is forwarded to a PO BOX, then it won't be "delivered" to the address and they can file a paypal claim. Since it's shipped to an unconfirmed address I probably loose the $$. I felt there was something wrong with this guy from the start...

TheNewSharkster
03-17-2008, 11:35 AM
Well... here is the thing... if it is forwarded to a PO BOX, then it won't be "delivered" to the address and they can file a paypal claim. Since it's shipped to an unconfirmed address I probably loose the $$. I felt there was something wrong with this guy from the start...

Forgive my ignorance (I haven't dealt a lot with fleabay) but if it can't be delivered won't it be sent back to you?

ridewiththewind
03-17-2008, 12:42 PM
Yeah, I do this on any thats not "confirmed"

Hard to tell if it is truly a scam or not. I live in a very rural area of WA, and if I remember correctly, Gold Hill, OR is also in a rural area. What that means is, if there is no rural mail delivery, the USPS provides residents in these rural areas with free PO Boxes at their nearest servicing Post Office. Which may be the reason for the forwarding.

However....I make it a rule, even tho my addy is confirmed....to let anyone shipping anything to me, their options for shipping address, based upon what carrier is being used. If it is the USPS, then it MUST go to my PO Box, otherwise, the PO will return it if it has just the street addy. The exact opposite is true if using DHL, FedEx, or UPS. And, when using these carriers, I usually request the item be held for pickup at the local station....no worries about unsigned for pkgs or weather damage. Your local station's addy is pretty easy to find under the 'Find Locations' button on the carriers' websites.

Lisa

madhaterm3
03-17-2008, 01:12 PM
Hard to tell if it is truly a scam or not. I live in a very rural area of WA, and if I remember correctly, Gold Hill, OR is also in a rural area. What that means is, if there is no rural mail delivery, the USPS provides residents in these rural areas with free PO Boxes at their nearest servicing Post Office. Which may be the reason for the forwarding.

Lisa

huh, I didn't realize that. I'm so paranoid I always figure someone is out to get me. Guess I'll just wait and see how it pans out.

ridewiththewind
03-17-2008, 01:25 PM
As I stated, I cannot be sure that is the case, but it would make for a plausible explanation. If it is the case, the buyer should have alerted you as to the circumstances...I would have, but that's my way...I do not wish for anything to happen to my items, or any cause for delay.

I may be wrong here, but because you did ship to an unconfirmed address, and he has obviously had it forwarded...there may well be no PayPal protection for either of you.

This is why I set up a 'dummy' bank account that is connected to nothing but my PayPal account. All it does it send and receive monies via PayPal. As soon as monies from PayPal clear into this account, I immediately transfer those funds to my 'normal' bank account. I do this to protect myself from fraudulent claims against my PayPal, and PayPal going into my bank account to retrieve funds to satisfy a fraudulent claim...as they will. My bank was offering totally free checking accounts, so I opened one, and declined any checks or debit cards for that account. When I need to send money, I transfer it in from my 'normal' bank account...which is not listed with Paypal, so they have no access to it. I have never had to use it this way...but had a close call once, which is what prompted me to take these security measures for myself...upon the suggestion of my bank. :)

Lisa

madhaterm3
03-17-2008, 03:14 PM
I totally agree with you Lisa. It sucks to have to resort to such measures with Paypal. I am actually using my girlfriends paypal account because mine is shut down. I did basically what you did, except I withdrew all my money and oppened up a new account. I sold a computer and the guy said all he recieved was a box with packing materials and garbage in it. Anyway, somehow he won the claim. THere is no way I was going to let him get away with the PC and get $500 back. Scammers!!

ridewiththewind
03-17-2008, 05:36 PM
I totally agree with you Lisa. It sucks to have to resort to such measures with Paypal. I am actually using my girlfriends paypal account because mine is shut down. I did basically what you did, except I withdrew all my money and oppened up a new account. I sold a computer and the guy said all he recieved was a box with packing materials and garbage in it. Anyway, somehow he won the claim. THere is no way I was going to let him get away with the PC and get $500 back. Scammers!!

This also why I now, with Priority Mail, pay extra for not only delivery confirmation, but require and ADULT signature. The more you can do to protect yourself, the better.

Lisa