PDA

View Full Version : NPR post heads up

trustyrusty
03-16-2008, 10:26 PM
I know that some folks on here don't venture over to the NPR section very often, but if you are a NCAA basketball bracket filler outer :D check out my post there...http://forums.azbilliards.com//showthread.php?t=92576

AZE
03-17-2008, 01:10 AM
NPR posts belong in NPR... May I suggest just putting this link in your signature?

trustyrusty
03-17-2008, 03:22 PM
Maybe I'll try that....no interest in any case.

Poolplaya9
03-17-2008, 06:01 PM
I know that some folks on here don't venture over to the NPR section very often, but if you are...<snip>
That should have been the first clue right there. If people are not going over to the NPR section, it should tell you that they do not have an interest in seeing non pool related material. So why do people continue to insist on shoving non pool related topics down our throats in the main forum?

I'm tired of threads about poker, mixed martial arts, vote for my friend/relative/dog for whatever contest, other sports, etc. There are other boards devoted specifically to these topics. If for some reason it just has to be poolplayers that you must discuss these other interests with, then take it to the NPR section here on AzBilliards. That is what it is there for.

For those that say just skip over those posts--we shouldn't have to. Plus they take up space and cause the pool related posts that we are all actually here for to be bumped down more quickly. And stating NPR in the subject line doesn't just make it all ok. Ok, I am off my soap box now. :cool:

DeadPoked
03-17-2008, 06:08 PM
That should have been the first clue right there. If people are not going over to the NPR section, it should tell you that they do not have an interest in seeing non pool related material. So why do people continue to insist on shoving non pool related topics down our throats in the main forum?

I'm tired of threads about poker, mixed martial arts, vote for my friend/relative/dog for whatever contest, other sports, etc. There are other boards devoted specifically to these topics. If for some reason it just has to be poolplayers that you must discuss these other interests with, then take it to the NPR section here on AzBilliards. That is what it is there for.

For those that say just skip over those posts--we shouldn't have to. Plus they take up space and cause the pool related posts that we are all actually here for to be bumped down more quickly. And stating NPR in the subject line doesn't just make it all ok. Ok, I am off my soap box now. :cool:

Possibly people enjoy discussing things not pool related with other pool players without having to post in the NPR forum where every thread is turned into a political debate.

Poolplaya9
03-17-2008, 06:33 PM
Possibly people enjoy discussing things not pool related with other pool players without having to post in the NPR forum where every thread is turned into a political debate.
A thread can turn into a political debate or head in some other direction regardless of which forum category you are in. The fact that it may be less tolerated in the main forum category should again tell you something--that people in the main forum section do not want the non pool related material there.

What makes people feel that they are so special that they have the right to be inconsiderate to the rest of us by posting NPR material in the main pool related only section, when it isn't supposed to be there, and when it isn't wanted there by the majority or by the site ownership?

If there is a non pool related topic with enough interest, and you feel that it is above being in the NPR section, then campaign for it to have it's own section, like a poker section for example. Otherwise, the NPR section was put there SPECIFICALLY for all topics not related to pool.

DeadPoked
03-17-2008, 07:48 PM
A thread can turn into a political debate or head in some other direction regardless of which forum category you are in. The fact that it may be less tolerated in the main forum category should again tell you something--that people in the main forum section do not want the non pool related material there.

A very small percentage of AZ ever check out NPR and the one's that do mostly want to speak politics. If I want to discuss something with AZ that isn't quite pool related, I'll post it in the main forum if I damn well please. I don't recall seeing where it says only pool related topics in the Main Forum.

What makes people feel that they are so special that they have the right to be inconsiderate to the rest of us by posting NPR material in the main pool related only section, when it isn't supposed to be there, and when it isn't wanted there by the majority or by the site ownership?

Who says they think they are special? Maybe they just want to discuss something among friends. AZ is basically just a big online poolhall where we can discuss many different topics. Do you only discuss pool in a poolhall?

If there is a non pool related topic with enough interest, and you feel that it is above being in the NPR section, then campaign for it to have it's own section, like a poker section for example. Otherwise, the NPR section was put there SPECIFICALLY for all topics not related to pool.

I think we have enough different sub forums.

Poolplaya9
03-17-2008, 10:46 PM
A very small percentage of AZ ever check out NPR and the one's that do mostly want to speak politics.

The fact that you will have a smaller audience for other topics you want to discuss is your problem, not ours. This is a pool website after all, what do you expect? You are not justified in using the main forum for whatever you feel like talking about just because you think you are entitled to a larger audience. If you want a larger audience then go to a board that deals with the topic you want to discuss. And maybe, just maybe, the majority of the members don't check out NPR because this is a billiards website and they come here wanting to discuss and read about...oh let's take a guess...could it be.....billiards?

If I want to discuss something with AZ that isn't quite pool related, I'll post it in the main forum if I damn well please.

That makes you one of the people I referred to ealier when I mentioned the people that think they are special enough to do as they please, regardless of the inconsideration to others, regardless of the intent and purpose of the different forum sections, and regardless of the desires of the site administration and the membership. Niiiiice.

I don't recall seeing where it says only pool related topics in the Main Forum.

They don't allow the sale of non pool related items in the For Sale section do they? I wonder why that is...umm, could it be that they want the website to stay billiards related? And could it be that what they want is largely determined by what the majority of their membership wants?

Let's break it down a little further. They went out of their way to specifically create a section called "Non Pool Related". To me it doesn't seem to take a rocket scientist to figure out that since this is a billiards website, and since they specifically created a category for non billiard related topics, that they must must want the other categories to stay...umm let me guess.....billiards related?

Who says they think they are special?

You did with your "do as you damn well please" statement.

Maybe they just want to discuss something among friends.

And if that something is non pool related they created a section just for you.

AZ is basically just a big online poolhall where we can discuss many different topics.

Poolhalls don't have different areas for different topics of conversation. AzBilliards does. If the AzBilliards administration wanted it to be like a pool hall they would just have one forum category that encompassed all topics.

Do you only discuss pool in a poolhall?

Nope. And you are not limited to only discussing pool at AzBilliards either, so what's the point?

I think we have enough different sub forums.

I agree. The real problem is that people don't know how to post the appropriate content in them.

I'm not completely opposed to a little off topic conversation in the main forum if a pool related thread starts to go astray, but it needs to be kept in moderation. I think most people feel the same way.

The problem comes when people fail to use any self control. In the main forum there are no acceptable reasons for actually starting a thread about some other sport or game, or a vote for so and so in this contest thread, or any other topic that has no relation to pool.