PDA

View Full Version : Wrap or not

Demetris_gr
03-17-2008, 01:13 AM
Are there any pros that use cues without wrap (I am not talking about their break cue)?

kaduku
03-17-2008, 03:15 AM
Francisco Bustamante was using a sneaky pete style break cue at the 2007 WPC. /// Sorry, I read that wrong. Efren used to use a wrapless Judd and he also used an Annie O that was wrapless. I think Marlon Manalo also has a wrapless Paul Drexler cue.

Fatboy
03-17-2008, 04:29 AM
Crown city cory who posts here plays like a pro-especially when we paly and he uses a wrapless cue, one other PI champion had a real fancy ivory cue-i heard he sold it and it was wrapless.

it really dosent matter its what ever feels good. i perfer linen-cortland if possible.

Demetris_gr
03-17-2008, 05:15 AM
Crown city cory who posts here plays like a pro-especially when we paly and he uses a wrapless cue, one other PI champion had a real fancy ivory cue-i heard he sold it and it was wrapless.

it really dosent matter its what ever feels good. i perfer linen-cortland if possible.

What is linen-cortland? Can you reference a cue that uses it? I personally disliked the wrap that predator cues have, but now I am used to it. I am now purchasing a new cue and thinking that I should avoid such a wrap, even though I don't have a problem with it any more. I am even thinking of purchasing one without a wrap at all, but I am no confident in walking that path, if nobody else does it.

TheBook
03-17-2008, 09:18 AM
I think Corey and Ralph Souquet play with wrapless. I am sure there are a lot more.

miha
03-17-2008, 06:25 PM
Steve Davis (and the rest of the snooker universe) :D

JimS
03-17-2008, 06:30 PM
Once you get used to a wrapless cue you'll never go back.... unless it's to a stacked leather.

poolhustler
03-17-2008, 06:32 PM
I think Corey and Ralph Souquet play with wrapless. I am sure there are a lot more.

Correct.......Corey plays with a wrapless Ariel Carmeli that is sweet!

Russ.....

Fatboy
03-17-2008, 06:36 PM
What is linen-cortland? Can you reference a cue that uses it? I personally disliked the wrap that predator cues have, but now I am used to it. I am now purchasing a new cue and thinking that I should avoid such a wrap, even though I don't have a problem with it any more. I am even thinking of purchasing one without a wrap at all, but I am no confident in walking that path, if nobody else does it.

Cortland is considered by many as the best linen ever made it is just fishing line, they stopped making it something like 25 years ago or longer alot of people here could tell you when it was discontined, some cue makers still have it for "special" customers, its on alot of old cues that were will well cared for. Blue Mountain is the standard today and feels almost as good, some cue makers just are better at wraping cues and make it feel better, Bobby Hunter IMO does the best wrap work right now. Its possible to buy any cue and have it rewraped by a cue maker if your not happy with what came on the cue, anything is possible and not to expensive when you consider how long its gonna last, i have 40 year old cues thet have perfect wraps and I mean well used cues-lined dosent wear out.

your right Ralf and Cory Duel play with wrapless cues, I have hit a few balls with Cory Duels cue....WOW thats some cue, feels great.

Bob Jewett
03-17-2008, 06:42 PM
Are there any pros that use cues without wrap (I am not talking about their break cue)?
So far as I know, every top carom player uses a rubber wrap. I once proudly handed my leather-wrapped cue to a former European carom champion, and he said, "You play with this?!?"

If the point of the wrap is to keep your hand from slipping, linen is certainly the wrong choice. For that purpose -- and you have to decide for yourself what the purpose of your wrap is -- bare finished wood is better than linen.

Pushout
03-17-2008, 07:29 PM
So far as I know, every top carom player uses a rubber wrap.

Now that you mention it, JoAnn Mason Parker's father, Harvey Mason, used to play with a Balabushka with a rubber wrap. I haven't seen Harvey in years and don't know if he still has it or not.

Fatboy
03-17-2008, 07:36 PM
Correct.......Corey plays with a wrapless Ariel Carmeli that is sweet!

Russ.....

Harper and Duel both Corys play with wrapless cues.

Demetris_gr
03-18-2008, 01:40 AM
If the point of the wrap is to keep your hand from slipping, linen is certainly the wrong choice. For that purpose -- and you have to decide for yourself what the purpose of your wrap is -- bare finished wood is better than linen.

That was exactly my point.

Demetris_gr
03-18-2008, 01:51 AM
Once you get used to a wrapless cue you'll never go back.... unless it's to a stacked leather.

I think that wrapless > leather > linen > linen (predator style). I haven't really tested them though.

softshot
03-18-2008, 01:53 AM
bare finished wood is better than linen.

for you.... there exist a wide variety of wraps for a wide variety of tastes,,

there is no best wrap... there is just the best wrap for that player...

Fast Lenny
03-18-2008, 02:00 AM
Now that you mention it, JoAnn Mason Parker's father, Harvey Mason, used to play with a Balabushka with a rubber wrap. I haven't seen Harvey in years and don't know if he still has it or not.
A friend of mine from NY would mention Harvey Mason and being taught by him and playing with Joann Mason also many times.He was a good straight pool player i heard and taught Joann to be a killer. :cool:

TXsouthpaw
03-18-2008, 05:21 AM
My first cue was wrapless my next was linen and i just bought my first schon with a leather wrap. cant wait to get it. Ill let yall know how it feels.

WesleyW
03-18-2008, 01:05 PM
I went from wrapless to linen, but don't like linen and changed back to wrapless. Now I'm gonna go for a leather wrap. See if I like it.