PDA

View Full Version : Table Height to Change!

madhaterm3
03-17-2008, 08:50 AM
Don't statitistics show that the average height is increasing?

Shouldn't the table bed height as well? Or is this just too off the wall?

Personally, my home table is at 31" which I think is the legal max. I really wouldn't mind if it was quite a bit higher though.

Thoughts?

realkingcobra
03-17-2008, 09:30 AM
Don't statitistics show that the average height is increasing?

Shouldn't the table bed height as well? Or is this just too off the wall?

Personally, my home table is at 31" which I think is the legal max. I really wouldn't mind if it was quite a bit higher though.

Thoughts?
I think I read somewhere that basketball hoops were going to change from 10' up to 12' because there's to many players now that can slam dunk the ball to easy because the average height has changed since basketball first got started;)

Glen

Kevin Lindstrom
03-17-2008, 09:33 AM
Let's raise the rim in basketball to 12 feet too while we are at it. We could also decrease the cup size in golf so that Tiger doesn't win most tournaments

Table height should remain the same. No use messing with something that already works perfectly fine.

Tim-n-NM
03-17-2008, 10:15 AM
Dumb question. But what is the normal height? and what are the min and max?

BRKNRUN
03-17-2008, 10:28 AM
Didn't someone make mention in another thread that Earl made some comment about raising the table height?

I am just shy of 5'10 and am barely tall enough to shoot quite a few shots without the aid of a mechanical bridge...

I watch and see taller players have a distinct advantage at the current table height.....why make it taller and give them an ever bigger advantage?

Patrick Johnson
03-17-2008, 10:37 AM
taller players have a distinct advantage at the current table height

I'm 6'-3" and it's harder for me to get my chin as low as somebody who's under 6', so it's not all advantage. Still, if I had to choose, I'd choose being taller and being able to reach more shots.

A friend of mine who is somewhat "gifted" in the weight department (he's very fat) has a funny way to describe a shot he can't reach because his stomach is in the way: he calls it being "belly hooked". LOL.

pj
chgo

Jude Rosenstock
03-17-2008, 10:43 AM
You guys realize the table height has actually been LOWERED in the past 30 years, right? I don't think there is ANY consideration in average height. I've played on some of the older tables (including snooker tables which are higher) and all of your mechanics change. You think it'd be a quick transition but trust me, if they changed the height, they would receive harsh complaints until all contemporary players DIED. Then, the only players that would be left would be too young to remember the shorter tables.

madhaterm3
03-17-2008, 11:26 AM
Dumb question. But what is the normal height? and what are the min and max?

It's 29.25" min to 31" max.

Tim-n-NM
03-17-2008, 11:32 AM
It's 29.25" min to 31" max.
Thank you.

Pushout
03-17-2008, 11:39 AM
I think a better question is, how high should the lights be? I knew at one time, but don't remember at the moment. Seems to me, it was 41" from the bed.

Patrick Johnson
03-17-2008, 11:56 AM
home table is at 31" which I think is the legal max

If you go out to play much you might want to consider lowering it to 30", which is what I think most "public" tables are. It doesn't seem like it should matter, but that 1" difference is noticable (and maybe distracting). I even make sure to wear shoes at home so I won't notice that difference when I go out.

pj
chgo

DaveK
03-17-2008, 12:07 PM
I think raising the table height would be a bad idea. It would make the game less accessible to younger players. In fact, I think we would do our game a favour by having 'junior' tables that were perhaps 3' x 6' with the playing surface at about 24".

Yes, I am quite short myself :p

Dave

Snapshot9
03-17-2008, 12:44 PM
Nothing is gonna change. Do you really think that all the tables across the country are going to be adjusted higher??? Some, wouldn't be capable of it to go higher than 31", and you would have nothing but complaints.

I think a tall guy started that rumor!!! :rolleyes:

Making changes today is a little harder than you think, considering the existing structure already in place, same goes for basketball, but the 3 point line for College is going to 20'9" from 19'9" next year for men, so 2 3 point lines will be on the court, one for women, and one for men.

Making changes in the height of the basket would greatly affect shooting, and noone would want to watch pros that couldn't sink baskets. Even if they considered changing it, it would only go to 11' at the most, and probably more like 10'6". This would also affect International play, and cause all kinds of other problems with other countries.

I only like College basketball anyway, because the pros seem to abandon defense in favor of offense, which is contrary to all the levels below it.

I remember when 'Seat Belts' were added to cars, and yes, all have them now, but most still do not use them.