PDA

View Full Version : Pool Shirts. Gauging Interest

plshrk22
03-17-2008, 10:02 AM
Alright this is going to kind of be a funny thread but I need some input. My pops is a jewelry designer and drew me an awesome picture for my 18th B-Day to get tattood, well I never got it done. I do not want to post the pic as of yet because it is in its rough stages but it consists of a Shark Swooping around a 9Ball and 8Ball with water coming off of his tale that is also swooping around. We want to print this large on the back of the shirt and then I was thinking of puting a tastefull written, "Shark N You" on the front. We cannot decide on a white or black shirt but we are going to get the image finalized within the week and go and sit down with a shirt designer. I was thinking $25 shipped per shirt in S,M,L, or XL. It is VERY eye catching and my dad is very reputable. We were thinking of getting about 60 Shirts made but I think that may be a high number for the first batch. Let me know your thoughts. When we get the image finalized I will send it to some select people on here for some opinions.

bfdlad
03-17-2008, 10:06 AM
Alright this is going to kind of be a funny thread but I need some input. My pops is a jewelry designer and drew me an awesome picture for my 18th B-Day to get tattood, well I never got it done. I do not want to post the pic as of yet because it is in its rough stages but it consists of a Shark Swooping around a 9Ball and 8Ball with water coming off of his tale that is also swooping around. We want to print this large on the back of the shirt and then I was thinking of puting a tastefull written, "Shark N You" on the front. We cannot decide on a white or black shirt but we are going to get the image finalized within the week and go and sit down with a shirt designer. I was thinking $25 shipped per shirt in S,M,L, or XL. It is VERY eye catching and my dad is very reputable. We were thinking of getting about 60 Shirts made but I think that may be a high number for the first batch. Let me know your thoughts. When we get the image finalized I will send it to some select people on here for some opinions.
It's a good idea, obviously we would need to se the design before commiting to a purchase. Send me a picture when you have it ready.

robertno1pool
03-17-2008, 10:21 AM
I think white is better if it will be a mutliple colors shirt.

Black works well with a single color.

Of course, I would agree most would like to see the design before buying.

plshrk22
03-17-2008, 10:25 AM
OH of course, I would never ask for money for something sight unseen. I am just trying to get some feedback on the idea.

kobyp
03-17-2008, 10:35 AM
Sounds cool.

I may have to pay a little more so I can get one in the right size.

Gotta think of us "bigger" guys.

plshrk22
03-17-2008, 10:39 AM
Yeh I had considered that also. You wouldnt get charged more! :)

cigardave
03-17-2008, 11:02 AM
... and then I was thinking of puting a tastefull written, "Shark N You" on the front.

FWIW, I personally don't care for pool shirts with an attitude... particularly if it infers that the person wearing the shirt is intentionally sharking their opponent.

IMO, pool by itself has enuf of an attitude already that it doesn't need to be broadcasted on the shirt that I'm wearing. It may appeal to someone your age, but not to me (course then, I'm an old fuddy-duddy of 59 and you could easily dismiss my comments and I wouldn't mind one bit). :rolleyes:

And also, fwiw, I like the graphics idea... but I'd dump the "Shark N You".

plshrk22
03-17-2008, 11:10 AM
Ok good, this is the kind of feedback I was looking for. Help me think of a tasteful saying?

Poolplaya9
03-17-2008, 11:19 AM
How about "Poolshark" instead of "Shark N You"? To most people poolshark just means very good player and does not carry such a negative connotation. Sharking someone means doing something to make your opponent miss a shot or affect their mental state so as to cause their game to suffer, and is seen by most people as being shady.

$25 shipped sounds like a pretty fair price. I don't know what shipping would run, but I would guess that if you could do them at $20 shipped that you would sell enough extra to more than make up for the few dollars loss per shirt.

cigardave
03-17-2008, 11:19 AM
Ok good, this is the kind of feedback I was looking for. Help me think of a tasteful saying?
A couple of initial thoughts... "Swim at your own risk"... or... "No lifeguard on duty".

poolsnark
03-17-2008, 11:31 AM
Instead of running them yourself, you should look into doing your shirts at Cafe Press. I'm pretty sure that's where the Pool Tees guy started out. Great way to test new designs without having lay out cash. I think Zazzle does the same type of thing.

http://www.cafepress.com/ (http://www.cafepress.com)
http://www.zazzle.com/ (http://www.zazzle.com)

plshrk22
03-17-2008, 01:21 PM
Great ideas.

Methodman201
03-17-2008, 01:31 PM
FWIW, I personally don't care for pool shirts with an attitude... particularly if it infers that the person wearing the shirt is intentionally sharking their opponent.

IMO, pool by itself has enuf of an attitude already that it doesn't need to be broadcasted on the shirt that I'm wearing. It may appeal to someone your age, but not to me (course then, I'm an old fuddy-duddy of 59 and you could easily dismiss my comments and I wouldn't mind one bit). :rolleyes:

And also, fwiw, I like the graphics idea... but I'd dump the "Shark N You".
I like where your Head's At... Your Not Old, Yet...:D

ridewiththewind
03-17-2008, 01:37 PM

I might suggest that you go the Cafe Press route, as opposed to going to an actual t-shirt designer. With the designer, you will have to pay upfront set-up fees for the design...which can run upwards of over $150 or more. With Cafe Press, there are no set-up fees, and the shirts are made as people actually order them. They take off the top, their actual cost of the shirt, by style, of which there are many...and you get whatever the mark-up is that you choose. Say, the shirt's cost is 15.99, and you ask 19.99 for the shirt...that means you would make the $4 per shirt sold clear...it works out pretty well...they will send you out a check monthly for the amount that you actually made.

Their stuff is pretty high quality as well...I have have very little in the way of disappointments with them, and if I get a bad print job, they are very good about crediting you back for the bad work.

Also, they allow for you to offer printing on front and back at no extra charge...and allows for you to manipulate how you may wish for your design and lettering to appear on the shirt, given the particular style you choose....which can be multiple styles and colors. All you need to do is open an account, which is free, and upload your image(s)...they walk you through the whole process pretty easily.

I have done all my team t-shirts this way and it has worked out very well for me. Also, in the case of like team shirts...you can make your 'shop' private, with only those knowing the URL having access to it to place their orders...or make it public, as I suspect would be your best option, which is fully searchable within the site.

It is a great alternative to those not having a lot to invest into a t-shirt venture, without losing your 'shirt', so to speak...LoL.

Lisa

plshrk22
03-17-2008, 01:44 PM
Yeh I am going to look more into that. I really appreciate the detailed write up. This will definetly be handy come next league season!

ridewiththewind
03-17-2008, 02:25 PM
Yeh I am going to look more into that. I really appreciate the detailed write up. This will definetly be handy come next league season!

Oh yeah! When you see the plethora of available shirt/sweatshirt/hoodies options,,,the mind boggles...LoL. It allows everyone to just order what they like, long sleeve, short sleeve, etc...it makes everyone happy. :)

Lisa

plshrk22
03-17-2008, 03:47 PM
How about, " This Aint the Kiddy Pool"

ridewiththewind
03-17-2008, 05:38 PM
How about, " This Aint the Kiddy Pool"
BTW...that would be 'Kiddie'...LoL. :D

CocoboloCowboy
03-17-2008, 05:50 PM
Think 25 Bucks/Shirt is too high IMHO.

rzrbak98
03-17-2008, 11:16 PM
yeah fat guys need lovin too.

kobyp
03-18-2008, 03:57 AM
yeah fat guys need lovin too.

Yes, and from that one in your avatar.

klockdoc
03-18-2008, 07:01 AM
Instead of running them yourself, you should look into doing your shirts at Cafe Press. I'm pretty sure that's where the Pool Tees guy started out. Great way to test new designs without having lay out cash. I think Zazzle does the same type of thing.

http://www.cafepress.com/ (http://www.cafepress.com)
http://www.zazzle.com/ (http://www.zazzle.com)

The difference between these type of shirts printed (heat sealed), with this method and the ones that are actually screen printed with the design is like night and day.

I think you are taking the correct approach and trying to find out if there is an interest in your product prior to introducing it to the public, but, I would compare quality of each process before I would make a commitment.

You definitely do not want to show quality of one product and deliver another. JMO

plshrk22
03-18-2008, 07:52 AM
oh I was not aware that Cafeexpress was a heat sealed shirt. Thank you so much for all of your time and info Klockdoc!