PDA

View Full Version : Remember these times?

klockdoc
03-17-2008, 10:35 AM
When nobody cared or thought anything about you getting on a table to shoot a ball.

Just part of the game.

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd268/klockdoc/pool-Reid1-s-R-S1.jpg

(photos courtesy of InsidePool magazine from Mike Haines, http://billporter.smugmug.com/galler...nea7w#71487583).

Voodoo Daddy
03-17-2008, 11:17 AM
Jimmy Reid...great pic. I have seen a few "CAT" matches, the one that comes to mind was Toby Sweet and Santos. If one stood on the others shoulders, I would still be an inch taller!!!

corvette1340
03-17-2008, 11:18 AM
wow, great pic. I didn't even know Corey Pavin played pool.

TXsouthpaw
03-17-2008, 11:20 AM
IIRC a couple of pros climed on the table during some of the IPT events. They didnt have the one foot on the ground rule. Dont remember which pros did it though.

corvette1340
03-17-2008, 11:21 AM
IIRC a couple of pros climed on the table during some of the IPT events. They didnt have the one foot on the ground rule. Dont remember which pros did it though.

Gabe and Danny Harriman did it for sure and I think there were a few others.

BillPorter
03-17-2008, 12:06 PM
Just thought I should try to make sure that Mike Haines gets credit for that great shot of Jimmy Reid. Mike took the photo at a Reds tournament in Houston, TX during the 1983-1984 time period. I did some touch-up editing on the shot. Here's a link to the image in our Smugmug gallery: http://billporter.smugmug.com/gallery/1411489_nea7w#71487583

stevea
03-17-2008, 12:16 PM
so right around the time i was born, it was ok for players to get all the way up on the table like that for a shot? Thats crazy, how long did that last?

jrhendy
03-17-2008, 12:23 PM
When nobody cared or thought anything about you getting on a table to shoot a ball.

Just part of the game.

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd268/klockdoc/pool-Reid1-s-R-S1.jpg

(photos courtesy of InsidePool magazine from Mike Haines, http://billporter.smugmug.com/galler...nea7w#71487583).

At the Billiard Palace in Bellflower in the 60's/70's we used to play on Big Bertha, the 6 x 12 snooker table & they didn't even have a long rake to use. Everybody crawled up on the table. Jimmy Reid was "Hippy Jimmy" in those days, with long hair and played barefoot. He could pocket balls on that tight old snooker table as good as anyone and better than most. John Henderson

klockdoc
03-17-2008, 12:32 PM
so right around the time i was born, it was ok for players to get all the way up on the table like that for a shot? Thats crazy, how long did that last?

I have still seen people do it now days. They put it into a game as part of a spot. They are allowed to get up on the table and not use a bridge, for giving up extra weight.

Not sure when they quit doing it though. I'm sure the pro tournaments or the WPA standardized rules of play started the trend.

Sweet Marissa
03-17-2008, 12:38 PM
Gabe and Danny Harriman did it for sure and I think there were a few others.

Here you go, Corvette. (http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee93/sweetmarissa/123.jpg)

jongreve
03-17-2008, 12:44 PM
We have an ole-timer around here that actually complains about not being able to do that anymore.

He also complains about the simonis cloth, hates it. I guess it plays different than what he grew up on, lost some of his "tricks".

SCCues
03-17-2008, 01:07 PM
I remember going to Eldridge Tucker's pool room in Charleston, SC and nobody gave a second thought to someone climbing on the table with both feet off the floor to get to a tough shot. I saw more action in that small room than you can shake a stick at. Those were the good old days for me. Unfortunately pool will never be the same here now with the new breed of pool league players sand bagging and manipulating handicaps. Most of these young players don't have a clue about real pool action and road players trying to make a dollar.

James

Tommy-D
03-17-2008, 01:19 PM
> At the old-timer's room here in my town,people look at you like you're some kind of idiot if you DON'T climb up on the table in spots like this. I'm not exaggerating the tiniest bit,either. They won't even call a foul on you for climbing up on the table and moving an object ball or TWO :eek:,they just tell you just move the balls back. Thankfully,I don't have to use a bridge a whole lot,and there aren't many spots like that on a dadgum 8 footer either.

When I get a chance to play somewhere closer to civilized,where players themselves might enforce the one-foot rule,or on 9 footers,I carry a Spinali bridge head in my case.

I was shocked early on in my pool existance when I saw that while it wasn't encouraged like it is locally,it was merely acceptable to do it at The Rack in Memphis,and may still be. Tommy D.

Pushout
03-17-2008, 02:08 PM
Unfortunately pool will never be the same here now with the new breed of pool league players sand bagging and manipulating handicaps. Most of these young players don't have a clue about real pool action and road players trying to make a dollar.

James

Here, here!!!

uwate
03-17-2008, 02:39 PM
i remember the first room I ever went to that allowed get on the table. Harleys Rack and Q in Jacksonville (now closed). I liked the rule so much I made it the house rule on my home table. Later I ended up starting to use the bridge instead of hopping on the table bc my shots with the crutch were so bad I needed to get more practice with it. I still like the rule though...someone once told me they played alot that way in Texas.

McKinneyMiner
03-17-2008, 02:48 PM
...someone once told me they played alot that way in Texas.

When I first started playing in the mid-80's the practice of getting up on the table was very common, but already beginning to die out...

The Texas Express 9-ball rules became standardized pretty much and that was the end of guys jumping up on the table...

Now, I'm not the smallest guy in the world but I have been known to get up on the table when it was allowed...