PDA

View Full Version : ob-1 too much what else

freestrokin
03-18-2008, 04:29 PM
I have an ob-1 shaft but it has to much swerve for me. Which low deflection shaft would spin the cue ball just a little less. Sound is a big thing to me also. Some shafts sound fine with center ball hit but sound
like plastic when you power draw or a lot of side english. The ob-1 has
a very soft sound no matter where you hit it, but it just spins it too much
for me. Any suggestions ?
Jack
Jack

AZE
03-18-2008, 04:35 PM
Wow, I wish too much spin was my problem.

IDK, try a predator I guess. You just made me want to buy an OB-1 even more.

Purdman
03-18-2008, 04:45 PM
When you place the OB in the center of the bottom rail and shoot from the head spot to cut the ball into either corner pocket, a little squirt and curve along with spin does wonders. If you play with a shaft long enough, you get to know it and exactly what it will do for ya. You don't just allow it, you learn to use it. This is not a knock on laminated shafts, I am sure they play fine. JMHO
Purdman :)

sodapopd
03-18-2008, 04:50 PM
Have you considered making your cue ball "clock" smaller and just not hit as far out on the extremes of spin?

I have an ob-1 shaft but it has to much swerve for me. Which low deflection shaft would spin the cue ball just a little less. Sound is a big thing to me also. Some shafts sound fine with center ball hit but sound
Jack
Jack

cubc
03-18-2008, 04:53 PM
tips also can really affect .. everything.

okinawa77
03-18-2008, 04:58 PM
Jack
Jack

Are you looking to get rid of your OB1?

I have a predator 314 w/Moori medium tip made for Radial Pin joint, and I would be glad to make a trade. It has very, very little deflection. In fact, it usually takes me days to get used to the straightness of the shots because I am used to CB deflection.

As for swerve, I think the highest probably reason for swerve is too much elevation at the back end of your cue. Level out the cue, and aim center ball. If you still get too much swerve, then send the shaft to me, and I will check it out. I also have cues that I would trade for the shaft.

PM if you are looking to get that OB1 off your hands.

JoeyInCali
03-18-2008, 06:06 PM
Jack
Jack
Custom-made one with a short ferrule and 12 MM tip?

pooltchr
03-19-2008, 03:22 AM
I Which low deflection shaft would spin the cue ball just a little less. Jack

Cues and/or shafts do not spin the cue ball. Spin is determined entirely by how you stroke the ball. The kind of tip you have is more important than the kind of shaft when it comes to spin.
Steve

hang-the-9
03-19-2008, 06:32 AM
I don't know if Meucci makes their black dot for other pins, but I played with that, and it hits very nice. More feel than the Predator, less than the OB though, and has a more one-peice shaft feel than either one. JMHO.

hang-the-9
03-19-2008, 06:34 AM
Cues and/or shafts do not spin the cue ball. Spin is determined entirely by how you stroke the ball. The kind of tip you have is more important than the kind of shaft when it comes to spin.
Steve

I don't know, I tried an OB1 and was able to get action on the cueball easier than with any of the other shafts I have tried. This is with a Triangle tip on it, which is what my other 2 cues have. I also missed a ton more cut shots with it than with any other shaft as well, so it went back into my case.

freestrokin
03-19-2008, 06:57 AM
Pooltchr are you saying if you put a certain tip on an ivory ferrule shaft
that it will spin as much as a ob-1. Want to play some.
jack

Hail Mary Shot
03-19-2008, 07:02 AM
Jack
Jack

You can send me your OB-1 as a present. it's my birthday today ! :D

Newton
03-19-2008, 07:08 AM
I don't know if Meucci makes their black dot for other pins, but I played with that, and it hits very nice. More feel than the Predator, less than the OB though, and has a more one-peice shaft feel than either one. JMHO.

One thing I really would NOT like to do is think about that "dot" and it's position. To use a shaft like this you should have the dot up when you use side and left or right doing draw/top.
I have more than enough to think of so I have never bothered to try one.

You should really use a axis symmetric shaft, which I guess many Meucci owners don't new.

But use which ever shafts which fit's you're needs. There are many out there.

N

TXsouthpaw
03-19-2008, 07:09 AM
Pooltchr are you saying if you put a certain tip on an ivory ferrule shaft
that it will spin as much as a ob-1. Want to play some.
jack

What hes saying is, any spin on the cueball is put there by you not the shaft. YOU determine if is gonna be follow or draw or right or left and how much. Also the tip is the part that grabs the cueball so it would have just as much if not more of an impact on your shot.

kryptonite9
03-19-2008, 07:12 AM
Since all the other low deflection shafts have been mentioned I will throw in Tiger X shaft. Same soft hit as a OB1 but not as harsh as the OB-1.

I does have more deflection though. IMO. ;)

freestrokin
03-19-2008, 07:22 AM
kryptonite9
That sounds like what I am looking for. Does it sound solid on power
draw shots and off center hits. I like a little deflection, so this may
be what I am looking for.

hangemhigh
03-19-2008, 07:27 AM
Try a straight,tight grained Maple shaft.

kryptonite9
03-19-2008, 07:32 AM
I really like the feel on any shot with the X-shaft. To me it feels the same as a center ball hit. I played with a predator for a while and did not like the clinky sound. I put 5 different tips on the predator and still got the same sound. I also played with the OB-1 for a month and really like the feel and spin, but couldn't control the cueball and had trouble making balls. Back to the X-shaft and playing well again. From your initial comments it sounded very similar to my progression. Just beware that the shaft does deflect more that Predator and OB1 and some players don't like that. I have also never hit with the new tiger ultra x shaft which they are promoting now. Give it a shot, I think you will like it.

Wolven
03-19-2008, 07:42 AM
Try a Predator Z shaft!!!

it is still my favorite of all the LD shafts. Much stiffer than the OB-1

If he cannot control OB-1 than he will not be able to control z-shaft even more.

Speaking of plastic sound that's what you will get with all predator shafts.

I had many different tips with OB-1 shafts and find that medium hard tips are a lot better than soft tips. I could not control the CB with the standard talisman tip that comes with the shaft. Both sniper and triangle worked great.

Cheers

hang-the-9
03-19-2008, 10:54 AM
One thing I really would NOT like to do is think about that "dot" and it's position. To use a shaft like this you should have the dot up when you use side and left or right doing draw/top.
I have more than enough to think of so I have never bothered to try one.

You should really use a axis symmetric shaft, which I guess many Meucci owners don't new.

But use which ever shafts which fit's you're needs. There are many out there.

N

The Black Dot I used was laminated, so orientation should not matter. I think that one is there just to let you know what type of shaft it is. If they made a multi-part shaft you have to move around to get the best hit, they need to work on their technology. It was not my cue, someone had it and I tried it for a few games.

Wolven
03-19-2008, 11:24 AM
The Black Dot I used was laminated, so orientation should not matter. I think that one is there just to let you know what type of shaft it is. If they made a multi-part shaft you have to move around to get the best hit, they need to work on their technology. It was not my cue, someone had it and I tried it for a few games.

Black Dot shafts are flat laminated so orientation matters as they don't have radial consistency.

poolplayer2093
03-19-2008, 12:08 PM
Try a straight,tight grained Maple shaft.

But from who?