PDA

View Full Version : Is weightlifting detrimental to one's stroke?

Hail Mary Shot
03-18-2008, 11:41 PM
I'm having thoughts whether if Gym workout could damage your good stroke. I know for a fact that such activity could develop your power breaking skill. but I'm quite unsure if it would damage your good stroking consistency. will a pool player be able to compensate and adjust just the same as before? or will he say goodbye to his good stroking days?

any pool player/bodybuilder out there? :D

JoeyInCali
03-18-2008, 11:48 PM
If it did, Rodney Morris would be a C player.

cyrex
03-18-2008, 11:58 PM
At first you will probably have to make adjustments with your pool game, or anything really, to allow for the weightlifting/bodybuilding (soreness, schedule, just putting more focus on another hobby). But I think exercise will benefit your game overall. Exercise in general benefits your body and your brain. Your energy levels will be higher, your focus, stamina, and confidence will all improve. If you're planning on going Mr.Universe then I doubt you will have time enough to play pool to worry about a finite stroke. About the only thing about exercising/weightlifting that will hurt your game is all the distractions from girls trying to hit on you.

Hail Mary Shot
03-19-2008, 12:07 AM
At first you will probably have to make adjustments with your pool game, or anything really, to allow for the weightlifting/bodybuilding (soreness, schedule, just putting more focus on another hobby). But I think exercise will benefit your game overall. Exercise in general benefits your body and your brain. Your energy levels will be higher, your focus, stamina, and confidence will all improve. If you're planning on going Mr.Universe then I doubt you will have time enough to play pool to worry about a finite stroke. About the only thing about exercising/weightlifting that will hurt your game is all the distractions from girls trying to hit on you.

thanks. the last statement was quite motivating. :D

Gum9Ball
03-19-2008, 08:27 PM
I'm having thoughts whether if Gym workout could damage your good stroke. I know for a fact that such activity could develop your power breaking skill. but I'm quite unsure if it would damage your good stroking consistency. will a pool player be able to compensate and adjust just the same as before? or will he say goodbye to his good stroking days?

I wouldn't call myself a body builder but I've played enough pool and work out enough to know that the only time working out ever inferferred with my storke/game is right after working out. My speed control would be hard to control when I did not allow time for the pump to cool down. In other words, if you are going to get into action, wait a couple of hours after working out or your lats/arms and upper body may still be so pumped up that it will interfere with your stroke.

Other than that, the exercise is very beneficial to all aspects of your life. I would recommend making the gym more of a priority than the pool hall.

Gregg
03-19-2008, 08:39 PM
Good advice. Like said, unless you are a serious power lifter it would be really hard to mess up a stroke by lifting weights.

And as said, being in good shape, both mental and physical as they both go hand in hand, can only improve your game.

StevenPWaldon
03-19-2008, 08:43 PM
I don't think it will.

Does anyone in the Hollywood vicinity know Frank? Big Frank? Super huge bodybuilder, about 6'6" and could do arm curls with my entire body. He shoots side arm because his shoulder and neck muscles are so big. But he's got one of the gentles touches I've seen, regardless of his size.

madhaterm3
03-19-2008, 09:46 PM
I have changed my workout so I can play pool better.

I used to lift 1 body part per day/1 major grouping. I would be sore for 3-4 days in that area. It greatly affected my ability to be consistent. If you lift hard, you can't play pool. Anybody that says you can doesn't lift hard. I went from 170lbs last summer to my current 245lbs at 16% bodyfat. Now that summer is approaching and I am focusing entirely on pool I have switchedto doing cardio 3 days per week and lifting moderately with no soreness. My game is improving exponentially and 10 hour practice sessions are no big deal with no fatigue. Overall cardio has put me better physically and mentally. You'll see.... just play around, but decide what you want and stick with it.

ribdoner
03-19-2008, 09:46 PM

If you use roids you'll have a short ;) stroke with NO chance of developing a long, smooth one...

1on1pooltournys
03-19-2008, 09:56 PM
Building muscle is a good thing for your game, this way, your stroke will be consistent when the heat is on (pressure situations). I started it about 3 years ago and would never quit. I have more energy at the table and can play for very long amounts of time do to the muscle build up in my core (legs, stomach, chest, etc.)

Hail Mary Shot
03-20-2008, 12:35 AM
Thank you for your insights guys. I guess I'll do some moderate weightlifting then (just to be sure). I just wanted to build and tone up my muscles again. I wasn't playing pool while I was weightlifting before. so I don't know if it would affect my current good stroke and I hope it doesn't in a negative way. I got good control of the rock and love to play pocket speed. it's like playing golf, waiting for the ball to drop inside the putt.

as far as my extra-curricular activities are concerned, I play basketball atleast once a week (2x at most). and I plan to do some other cardio like running, as madhaterm3 had given me an idea. I do swimming (underwater) during the summer 3 times a week for atleast half an hour in every session.

LoGiC
03-20-2008, 12:39 AM
You don't need a good stroke if you can muscle the 9 in on the break!

Hail Mary Shot
03-20-2008, 01:49 AM
You don't need a good stroke if you can muscle the 9 in on the break!

unfortunately, I don't play much 9-ball. 8-ball and rotation is what I play.

enzo
03-20-2008, 05:07 AM
weightlifting is detrimental to everything except attracting hot chicks that are attracted to idiotic, meathead guys. i hit the gym 5 days a week, lol.

stevea
03-20-2008, 05:21 AM
It's kinda like playing basketball right after you work out, you can't do it! you will throw the ball to hard or to light. As long as your not lifting weights in between your turns at the table then you'll be fine. I workout 5 days a week and the only hard time was when i first started because I was so sore, it was hard to shoot. If anything I think working out has helped my game as it will yours!

uwate
03-20-2008, 06:56 AM
I've tried to both but find that I cannot play pool with good consistency if I am trying to lift weights with any kind of intensity. Light weights and cardio will probably have no impact or a positive impact on your game, but serious lifting to build size and strength will not help your game. If you have the time to commit serious hours to your pool game, I think you can maintain a high level and maybe even improve while you bodybuild. It will take you longer to warm up and your consistency will suffer if you are sore from lifting.

IMO you will make more rapid improvements in your pool game if you do not lift weights with the intentions of making gains in size and strength. If you try to improve at both, be prepared for higher levels of frustration in both.

Phidget
03-20-2008, 07:47 AM
I life heavy weights 2 times per week. I make sure that I do NOT do it on a day im shooting, or my game suffers alot. Also, if i miss some gym time and go at it hard on Tuesday morning, my league play on Wednesday still suffers.
It is the worst if i work my shoulders/back hard, arms seem to recover OK. Overall, it has afffected my enough on Wednesdays that I changed my workout to Monday instead of Tuesday to have more recovery time.

To give you an idea how it affects me, im in a house league with 10 ranks. I am a solid 8. When i miss workouts or dont go at it hard, I win 75% of my matches and sometimes fluctuate up to a 9. If my workouts affect me, I miss shapes way too much and end up losing 75% of the time.

Could be other factors, but my stroke just feels "tight", and difficult to get the right speed. I think it affects me way too much, enough that i am trying the changing days/ routines etc.

Lucky Fish
03-20-2008, 08:35 AM
I started lifting(squats, bench & deadlifts) back in October and have been going as hard as I can 3 times a week and I have found that at my age(48) it takes longer to recover than when I was much younger(20's). The way I counter the tightness is with a good sports massage therapist and my chiropractor.
I believe it was affecting my game for the first few months but now it is having much less impact on it and is actually helping with the stamina
I do not play pool on my workout days:p

Gregg
03-20-2008, 08:50 AM
I started lifting(squats, bench & deadlifts) back in October and have been going as hard as I can 3 times a week and I have found that at my age(48)...

I feel sore just reading this post.

Hail Mary Shot
03-20-2008, 09:14 AM
again, thank you for giving me some of your workout schedule guys. i'll take those into consideration.

worriedbeef
03-20-2008, 09:44 AM
following on from all the previous posts it will probably help your game, because getting fit, healthy, and in shape is beneficial to you in many ways. however it wouldn't surprise me if it had some detrimental effects if taken to extremes (ie: bodybuilding). not that there's anything wrong with it if you want to do it but it'd most likely affect your pool game.

i also juggle a bit, and the issue is the same. in fact building a bit more muscle is even more beneficial because it helps build your endurance and your arms don't tire as quicky juggling clubs especially. however don't try and juggle straight after excercising because it's like the example of playing basketball straight afterwards - you won't be able to do it well. and likewise with pool - if you take the muscle building to the next level (bodybuilding) then instead of strengthening and improving your body, you're completely changing your body's nature fundamentally. which won't help your pool game.

ShootingArts
03-20-2008, 10:56 AM
After a workout cool down and then do a very moderate full body work out like walking swinging your arms or duplicating your workout motions without weights. This is to flush the lactic(?) acid and damaged tissue out of your muscles. I preferred to take an extra walk or two hours later as time permitted also, just at a rate and distance to get things pumping a little bit and flush the muscles. Soreness can't be eliminated but it can be minimized.

For best pool I would think outside activities should focus on speed and control more than maximum strength but I have never put that to the test. Of course my favorite workout back then involved low intensity, lots of reps. Lifting twelve ounces for hours on end gave me a very smooth stroke but it was detrimental to my aim.

Hu

realkingcobra
03-20-2008, 02:41 PM
At 5-11" and 270lbs, I've never lifted weights...well, does pool tables count?...anyway, lifting pool tables has never effected my stroke what-so-ever, I didn't have one before I started, and I still don't now, so...no change for me:D

Glen

Hail Mary Shot
03-20-2008, 11:47 PM
After a workout cool down and then do a very moderate full body work out like walking swinging your arms or duplicating your workout motions without weights. This is to flush the lactic(?) acid and damaged tissue out of your muscles. I preferred to take an extra walk or two hours later as time permitted also, just at a rate and distance to get things pumping a little bit and flush the muscles. Soreness can't be eliminated but it can be minimized.

For best pool I would think outside activities should focus on speed and control more than maximum strength but I have never put that to the test. Of course my favorite workout back then involved low intensity, lots of reps. Lifting twelve ounces for hours on end gave me a very smooth stroke but it was detrimental to my aim.

Hu

how did it became detrimental to your aim? as to my aim, I personally rely on my judgement of where to hit the CB and eye sharpness/focus (eventhough I have an eye condition which I really feel is a minus) or simply hand and eye coordination. I would be interested to know the possible factors that your smooth stroke has affected your aim.

cueandcushion
03-21-2008, 02:34 AM
Weightlifting CORRECTLY will reinforce muscle memory and force you to be precise in your movements. This over the long run can only make your pool game better. You have a better understanding of how your body is working and reacting to certain movements which give you better control. If you are sloppy and chaotic in your weightlifting routine then you will be wasting your time both in the gym AND at the pool table. Many pro athelets have proven that weightlifting does not make you muscle bound and harm your athletic performance. Martina Navritilova and Tiger Woods are both avid weightlifters. Martina is what 50 and still competes on the tennis tour? I thought Ralf Souquet was a big advocate of weight training? Anyone know?

Snapshot9
03-21-2008, 05:25 AM
that has played 46 years, and lifted for 45 years, heavy workouts will affect your stroke on minute things, like when you have to draw 4", and you overdraw, on finesse' shots some. But mostly, I tended to overpower the break shot, jumping the table many times.

I am 5'7", 160 lbs currently. I spent most of my life after High School, at about 138-144 lbs, stayed in shape, 38 1/2" chest, 29" waist, played many sports like raquetball, softball, indoor soccer, bowling, and tennis besides
Pool, plus I exercised and lifted. I have been always strong for my size, but not built to 'bulk' as some guys get. I stood up with 450 lbs when young, could clean and jerk 120 lbs with one hand, could press my own weight. I worked out with 75 lbs as my daily workout weight, for presses, curls, etc..

I am now 60, about 5 years ago, I reduced my daily workout weight down to 50 lbs for presses, curls, etc... I have always (since wrestling in High School) done pushups with my feet raised on 2 steps, and can still do 200 if I push it some.

My point is, you can push yourself more when younger because you recover faster, but if too heavy, it will affect your game. As you age, do what your body will allow that still feels okay, but do not overdo it.
As I like to say, 'When you get older, you have to gentle down your life'.

The main thing about working out should be that you are doing it for yourself, and for better health, and to look and feel your best, not so
Suzy-Q will think you are a hunk.

By the way, when I grew up, Charles Atlas and Joe Weider were my exercise idols. Charles Atlas could do more with a chair and/or a broom
that all the people together with their exercise inventions today.

It is okay to workout and lift, but just be reasonable about it.

George Fels
03-21-2008, 08:10 AM
My first two books were on bodybuilding. IMO weightlifting is not likely to help your pool game and could impede your progress; the essence of training with weights is to feel tight, and the essence of pool playing is to feel loose. If you can alternate the days on which you work out with the days on which you play pool, the workouts probably won't interfere as much. As a long-time practicioner of both, the only way I can stipulate working out helped was in improving my powers of discipline and focus. GF

madhaterm3
03-21-2008, 09:23 AM
I do not play pool on my workout days:p

that's why I changed my workout. I must play pool everyday. I don't know what would happen if I didn't.. I think I would cry

efirkey
03-21-2008, 09:36 AM
My two hobbies are pool and bodybuilding, so I speak from experience. Be smart and careful with your gym efforts. As long as you avoid injury, lifting won't interfere with your pool playing. I would recommend not to lift heavy because this can wear out your shoulder joint and this will kill your pool game. I tore a ligament in my left shoulder and I couldn't play normal for a couple of years.

Take care of your shoulders and lower back. Don't lift too heavy! and you should be fine.