PDA

View Full Version : Some people hate my preshot routine, what should I do?

housecue
03-19-2008, 11:26 PM
There are some guys at the pool hall that don't like my preshot routine. they told me I should not take more than 3 practice stroke. I responded to them that my preshot routine helps me loosing my muscles and gives me time to look for my aiming point since I aim by feel.

Here is how my preshot routine goes. I bend down and I would do a few quick strokes to warm up the arm, then I pause to look for the aiming point, then I pump the warm up strokes one more time, then I do one practice stroke then fire away.

I heard that if someone takes too long to shoot it's a form of sharking, but I am not trying to shark anyone. It's just how I shoot.

What should I do? Should I try and modify my preshot routine or should I keep it the way it is and hell with what others think?

Edit: btw, my preshot routine doesn't take more than 15 seconds.

hilla_hilla
03-19-2008, 11:35 PM
If you are just practicing, keep your preshot routine. If you were to play in a tournament, I would find a way to moderate it. Otherwise your opponent may feel the need to have the shot clock called on you.

Jason Robichaud
03-19-2008, 11:39 PM
Try keeping your arm moving with little 2-3 inch strokes while you find those points. Once set. Do your 3 normal strokes pause and fire... This keep my arm loose and reduces the nerves.

cuesblues
03-19-2008, 11:45 PM
I wish that some of the people I play against only took that long. At least you aren't getting up 5-times to look at the shot, and put you cue on the table at several different angles, and lift up the cue ball and brush under it, and brush off the line to the object ball in case there is something on the felt, then go talk to the waitress, then go to the bathroom.

It really doesn't sound like you are taking that long

housecue
03-19-2008, 11:45 PM
If you are just practicing, keep your preshot routine. If you were to play in a tournament, I would find a way to moderate it. Otherwise your opponent may feel the need to have the shot clock called on you.

I am not too worry about shot clock, my preshot routine doesn't take more than 15 seconds.

hilla_hilla
03-19-2008, 11:50 PM
I am not too worry about shot clock, my preshot routine doesn't take more than 15 seconds.

If that's the case you can ignore everyone's complaints because 15 seconds is not unreasonable.

JoeyInCali
03-19-2008, 11:56 PM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=TH3u5KbyXOc
Tell them to watch Kim Davenport.

gobrian77
03-20-2008, 01:14 AM
If that's the case you can ignore everyone's complaints because 15 seconds is not unreasonable.

Yeahhhhhhh... but try imagining watching your opponent at the table and count backwards from 15- now imagine him doing it several times in a row (if he's any good:p )- that would get real old REAL quick.

Time is relative- there's putting your hand on the thigh of a beautiful woman for five seconds vs. putting your hand on a hot stove for the same amount of time- which will seem longer?:cool:

hilla_hilla
03-20-2008, 01:18 AM
Yeahhhhhhh... but try imagining watching your opponent at the table and count backwards from 15- now imagine him doing it several times in a row (if he's any good:p )- that would get real old REAL quick.

Time is relative- there's putting your hand on the thigh of a beautiful woman for five seconds vs. putting your hand on a hot stove for the same amount of time- which will seem longer?:cool:

In my case, probably putting my hand on some other girls thigh would seem longer, lol.

gobrian77
03-20-2008, 01:20 AM
In my case, probably putting my hand on some other girls thigh would seem longer, lol.

Again, this analogy is relative.:D

gajga
03-20-2008, 01:50 AM
There are some guys at the pool hall that don't like my preshot routine. they told me I should not take more than 3 practice stroke. I responded to them that my preshot routine helps me loosing my muscles and gives me time to look for my aiming point since I aim by feel.

Here is how my preshot routine goes. I bend down and I would do a few quick strokes to warm up the arm, then I pause to look for the aiming point, then I pump the warm up strokes one more time, then I do one practice stroke then fire away.

I heard that if someone takes too long to shoot it's a form of sharking, but I am not trying to shark anyone. It's just how I shoot.

What should I do? Should I try and modify my preshot routine or should I keep it the way it is and hell with what others think?

I think it depends on your priorities.

If your only concern is to play your best and this preshot routine helps you achieve that goal, then I'd stick with your current style.

If people's reaction to your style of play is detracting from your enjoyment of the game (or having a negative impact on your performance), then perhaps you might consider modifying your routine.

I'd imagine you are more than capable of modifying your preshot routine and playing at least as well as you play now.

All of that being said, here's my first response to reading your post: "The hell with them!"

Deadon
03-20-2008, 02:39 AM
Unlike the others, I would say modify your routine. If your looking for your point of aim while you are down, your doing something that you should have done before you got down on the shot. Adjusting, other than very minor, while your down, will alter your alignment. Find your point of aim, or line, and then bring your body down on that line and you won't need all those warm-ups.

housecue
03-20-2008, 03:20 AM
Unlike the others, I would say modify your routine. If your looking for your point of aim while you are down, your doing something that you should have done before you got down on the shot. Adjusting, other than very minor, while your down, will alter your alignment. Find your point of aim, or line, and then bring your body down on that line and you won't need all those warm-ups.

Actually, that's not possible for me since my method of aim is develop while I am down on the shot. I can only see it from that perspective. This method works beautifully for me.

DelaWho???
03-20-2008, 03:21 AM

You answered your own question. If it is working for you stick with it.

Banger

housecue
03-20-2008, 03:37 AM
Thanks everyone for your opinion. I will stick with my preshot routine since it has done wonders for my game.

JimS
03-20-2008, 03:51 AM
It's YOUR routine and none of their business. They're just sharking YOU. Tell'm to eat sh!t and die.

birdy
03-20-2008, 04:52 AM
Actually, that's not possible for me since my method of aim is develop while I am down on the shot. I can only see it from that perspective. This method works beautifully for me.

You should see the line of aim before you get down on the shot , otherwise you can't align your body correct for every shot . Your method sounds to me like a banger style , if you are moving left-right when you are down on the shot is so wrong ! :eek:

Sweet Marissa
03-20-2008, 05:33 AM
If that's the case, don't change a thing. I'm a slow player myself and have had only one person ever make a comment about it: my ex-boyfriend. If I try to rush or change up my routine, I get out of stroke. Why compromise your game?

andywho
03-20-2008, 05:34 AM
hey from what i just read. it seems normal. don't let others talk you out of it. if your making balls then your doing something right

catscradle
03-20-2008, 05:41 AM

I disagree. Yes we aim in the upright position, but we verify the aim point and lock in on it in the down position. I also take several "aiming strokes" before going into my fixed preshot routine. My "aiming strokes" let me finalize my aiming point and get comfortable with my position, I think this is what he (she?) is doing also. Like the OP, after I'm assured my aiming point is correct, I pause at the cueball and go into my SPF routine, 2 strokes, set at the cueball, pause at the end of the backswing, and finish (with appropriate follow through).
Sounds like the OP takes longer for this than I do, but I think the basic routine is valid.
JMHO.

catscradle
03-20-2008, 05:44 AM
You should see the line of aim before you get down on the shot , otherwise you can't align your body correct for every shot . Your method sounds to me like a banger style , if you are moving left-right when you are down on the shot is so wrong ! :eek:

My bet is that the OP does see the line of aim before, and makes barely perceptible changes while down. I think it is impossible to do otherwise and shoot well.

birdy
03-20-2008, 05:56 AM
My bet is that the OP does see the line of aim before, and makes barely perceptible changes while down. I think it is impossible to do otherwise and shoot well.

Shooting well is relative. Five years ago i thought that i was a good player , now after a lot of practice and a lot of improvement I think I'm just a decent player .

yoyodude9000
03-20-2008, 06:07 AM
Forget about everyone else and play your game. It's their problem if they can't get past it.

chefjeff
03-20-2008, 06:47 AM
There are some guys at the pool hall that don't like my preshot routine. (snip)

Then the problem is theirs, not yours.

Jeff Livingston

HDR10
03-20-2008, 06:50 AM
Then the problem is theirs, not yours.

Jeff Livingstonit is indeed

MinoInADixeCup
03-20-2008, 07:32 AM
Do you have to go through all of that even for the most simplistic shots? Would you have to take the whole 15 seconds for a short distance, stop shot for example? I could see where that might get irritating to an opponent, but I agree with most everyone else that 15 seconds is not that long of a time.

You really need to be able to ignore what your opponent is doing other then keeping an eye out for fouls and new table layouts. I'm just starting to learn how to do this, but it gets harder when I'm not shooting well.

I find the length of time people take to make decisions more of a distraction then how long they spend actually making the shot.

It's funny, one of my league partners shoots very slowly while I shoot very quickly. If I like what I'm looking at, I will usually run out an 8 ball rack in less then 2 minutes with the clock starting at the break. My partner on the other hand is an older gentleman who rarely tries to run out from the break or his first time at the table, he prefers a more strategic game. We have actually been accused (jokingly I think) of cooking up this style between us. I shoot fast and force my opponent to sit for long periods of time while my partner finishes his game and then we follow that up by forcing him to play a much slower opponent. :D

George
03-20-2008, 07:46 AM
\

Feed em fish heads...... ;)
Do you remember this one from Dr. Demento? :eek:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=cn73Wtem0No

Bob Jewett
03-20-2008, 09:50 AM
... What should I do? ...
You could consider playing like Walter Lindrum and Willie Mosconi. (Check out their biographies for details.)

While 15 seconds -- if in fact that's how long you take per shot -- is not near what players get in clocked matches, if it is a lot longer than everyone else in the pool hall takes then people will not want to play against you. It is their right to refuse to play with you. If it is not fun for them, why should they put up with the grief or what they consider grief?

If you have a short, straight-in shot to the side, and all you have to do for perfect position is stop the cue ball, and you take 15 seconds to shoot the ball, I wouldn't want to play against you either.

So, it comes down to a social choice. If you want to irritate all your opponents while perfecting your game, continue on your current path. It is your right to do so.

StevenPWaldon
03-20-2008, 09:59 AM
I think as long as it works (you pocket balls, feel confident at the table, don't feel rushed, don't feel like you're taking too much time) then stick with it.

There are guys whose stroke makes me wonder how they can pocket a ball. There are guys who take so long with their pre-shot routine that I'm sure they'd make you look like Luc Salvas. But it works for them, and I'd never suggest for them to change. Just because it doesn't suit my tempo or style doesn't mean they should accommodate *my* preferences.

OneArmed
03-20-2008, 10:13 AM
If you have a short, straight-in shot to the side, and all you have to do for perfect position is stop the cue ball, and you take 15 seconds to shoot the ball, I wouldn't want to play against you either.

So, it comes down to a social choice. If you want to irritate all your opponents while perfecting your game, continue on your current path. It is your right to do so.

Exactly. I play straight pool mostly, and if there was a 15 second pre-shot routine for every single little 6 inch shot, I wouldn't play you again, no offense. But if it helps you play, keep it the same I guess.

Fuji-whopper
03-20-2008, 10:22 AM
There was a guy named Thai Bob that used to go to Hollywood Billiards back when it was underground, he took 28 practice strokes before each shot no matter how easy it was. And you were lucky if he didn't change his mind after practice stroke 23-27, otherwise he would get up and walk around the table and choose a different shot then take 28 more practice strokes.

The guy played decently though and he swore he wasn't doing it to throw people from their games, just imagine how many complaints he would get playing a tournament.

It's your game and it doesn't sound like you are slowing down matches, I think it's rude that they are telling you something in the first place. Let me guess, they are close to your speed but you keep beating them?

Sweet Marissa
03-20-2008, 10:25 AM
Guys, I'm sure he doesn't mean he takes fifteen seconds on simple shots. Personally, as I said before, I'm a slow player, but when it's an easy shot, I'm not going to analyze and evaluate it like I do with the more difficult ones.

SpiderWebComm
03-20-2008, 10:30 AM
15 seconds isn't long to shoot... it's moderate. I've seen a lot longer. If 15 secs was long, the tv shot clock would be 10.

Not everyone goes from shot to shot in 5 seconds. I wish they did, but you can't complain at 15.

From the sound of the original poster's message... if he plays well that way, I wouldn't change it. The other guy had a good recommendation for very short aim strokes and then longer prior to striking the CB. I think once this guy starts making a lot more, his setup will dramatically reduce in time.

TheNewSharkster
03-20-2008, 10:45 AM

A pool player has every right in the world to take 15 seconds per shot. We all can't shoot quickly like Earl. Speaking of which don't the pros have 30 second shot clock. With that said how can you expect somebody to shoot twice as fast as the alloted time given to someone who plays pool for a living. Silly!:D

alstl
03-20-2008, 10:48 AM
I have discovered that there is no shortage of free advice in pool halls, and no shortage of complaining from people when they are losing.

I take into consideration the free advice but only if I think it will help my game. Everything else is just noise.

Bob Jewett
03-20-2008, 10:59 AM
A pool player has every right in the world to take 15 seconds per shot. ...
Ah, but we don't know how long he actually takes for each shot. If he spends 15 seconds down on the shot, maybe he takes another 20 seconds looking at the lines, and future shots. What we can be pretty sure of is that the people he plays with are bothered enough by his slowness that they have complained to him.

It could be that if the OP tried a different PSR, one that was speedier on average, it might actually improve his game. That would make everybody happier. So I'll propose it directly:

Housecue, if you care at all about the feelings of those you play against, try this: If you need to loosen your arm, do it while you are approaching the shot -- take "air strokes." Make sure you come down perfectly on-line with the shot completely visualized before you come down. If you are on-line when paused at the cue ball, take no more warm-up strokes -- just back and through. If your line requires adjustment, then adjust and take a couple of warm-ups, but when the line is right, SHOOT!

Pushout
03-20-2008, 11:08 AM
Good grief!!! 15 seconds ain't long. I used to play with a guy back in NY we called Cobweb. He would take between 30 seconds and a full minute to shoot the 5 ball straight in the side with the cue ball 6 inches away, also straight. No lie!!
Irish, have you seen this guy???? Name's Herb.

cigardave
03-20-2008, 11:13 AM
We had a guy in our corporate 8-ball lead that we called "the piston"... he'd pump so many times we thought that he was gonna strike oil.

TheNewSharkster
03-20-2008, 11:23 AM
Ah, but we don't know how long he actually takes for each shot. If he spends 15 seconds down on the shot, maybe he takes another 20 seconds looking at the lines, and future shots. What we can be pretty sure of is that the people he plays with are bothered enough by his slowness that they have complained to him.

When he said 15 second I assumed that was the total time he took to shoot. I have a feeling you might be right though. If people are complaining he might be taking longer than he is leading us to believe.

In pool league I duck the slow shooters. One advantage of being the captain :D

RichZuHaus
03-20-2008, 04:32 PM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=TH3u5KbyXOc
Tell them to watch Kim Davenport.

The best part is Grady's comment on Mika's "gorgeous perpetration of a difficult shot."

Hehe.

fdambi
03-20-2008, 07:16 PM
As long as you're not doing it after already taking forever to get down, then dont change your routine. Obviously it will vary depending on how tough the shot is, but if you're taking less than 15 seconds a shot, then you need to tell whoever is barking at u that they need to shut the hell up. If you're like Danny Basavich or Fred Boggs, then you should be shot and dumped in the ghetto.

Klopek
03-20-2008, 07:36 PM

junior718
03-20-2008, 09:04 PM
hand them a snickers bar and take even longer.

Ltldebbie
03-20-2008, 10:17 PM
hand them a snickers bar and take even longer.

Good advise above buddy. PM me if you really want to know what I think but, YOU have every right to do what is right for you. You know you have a good game and everbody that gives advise doesn't even play your speed. You took a long time deciding about that Joss and you know you'r right on the money. If the stroke is working, don't fix it.

Obviously nobody on this thread has ever seen Frank Bitterman play.

Have you ever watched Dan Louie?? Start counting when he starts stroking the ball. JMO

housecue
03-20-2008, 11:36 PM

You are correct catscradle. I do see the line of aim before I bend down, it is only in the down position I can get the precise point of aim to sink the Object ball.

housecue
03-20-2008, 11:40 PM
Guys, I'm sure he doesn't mean he takes fifteen seconds on simple shots. Personally, as I said before, I'm a slow player, but when it's an easy shot, I'm not going to analyze and evaluate it like I do with the more difficult ones.

Thanks for helping me clearify things. That's exactly how it is. I don't do the preshot routine on every shot. If the shot is easy, I only need a couple of seconds to shoot it and get to the next shot. I only use the 15 seconds preshot routine on long shots or shots where I need to do more with the cueball.

housecue
03-20-2008, 11:55 PM
Let me guess, they are close to your speed but you keep beating them?

Wow, how did you guess?

Well, right now I won't let their complaint bother me, I'll keep working with my routine until the day I have a natural straight stroke then maybe I'll take fewer practice strokes. :)

housecue
03-21-2008, 12:14 AM
Good advise above buddy. PM me if you really want to know what I think but, YOU have every right to do what is right for you. You know you have a good game and everbody that gives advise doesn't even play your speed. You took a long time deciding about that Joss and you know you'r right on the money. If the stroke is working, don't fix it.

Obviously nobody on this thread has ever seen Frank Bitterman play.

Have you ever watched Dan Louie?? Start counting when he starts stroking the ball. JMO

haha I did take a while to decide on the Joss didnt I? I love it. It hits like a tank. :D anyways, thx for the advice. :)

Flex
03-21-2008, 05:05 AM
I wish that some of the people I play against only took that long. At least you aren't getting up 5-times to look at the shot, and put you cue on the table at several different angles, and lift up the cue ball and brush under it, and brush off the line to the object ball in case there is something on the felt, then go talk to the waitress, then go to the bathroom.

It really doesn't sound like you are taking that long

Hey, now that is a class act.... Wow!!

If I were to try that routine on some guys I know, I'd probably get thwacked on the back of my noggin with a butt.

Flex

Flex
03-21-2008, 05:21 AM
We had a guy in our corporate 8-ball lead that we called "the piston"... he'd pump so many times we thought that he was gonna stirke oil.

There's a kid at this one place who will take you out of stroke just looking at him. He probably takes something like 25 or 30, yes, that's right, 25 or 30 huge rapid pumping strokes before every shot. Problem is, if I look away, he might foul and if I don't see him, it's not his fault.He makes Mike Davis's pump stroke look positively sedate.

I won't play this guy; too much psychological suffering.

Flex

hilla_hilla
03-21-2008, 05:25 AM
There's a kid at this one place who will take you out of stroke just looking at him. He probably takes something like 25 or 30, yes, that's right, 25 or 30 huge rapid pumping strokes before every shot. Problem is, if I look away, he might foul and if I don't see him, it's not his fault.He makes Mike Davis's pump stroke look positively sedate.

I won't play this guy; too much psychological suffering.

Flex

Mike Davis does have an unorthodox stroke, but he has it mastered and it IS consistant.

Playing against Arturo Rivera or Mike Defino is what makes me crazy. They take DAYS to shoot one shot!

junior718
03-21-2008, 04:31 PM
complain they shoot too fast and it is sharking you.