PDA

View Full Version : Do you concede games?

mattman
04-25-2008, 02:50 PM
I started a poll/thread on the related subject, but I would like to see what the majority is here. By this I mean when your opponent has an obvious close straight in or slight angle shot. I think it's obvious that you would not concede a game to a player that you felt was weaker than you, so I didn't include that in the poll.

Thanks,
Matt

tgspool
04-25-2008, 02:54 PM
I started a poll/thread on the related subject, but I would like to see what the majority is here. By this I mean when your opponent has an obvious close straight in or slight angle shot. I think it's obvious that you would not concede a game to a player that you felt was weaker than you, so I didn't include that in the poll.

Thanks,
Matt

I love dragging it down to the wire. Hill/hill sometimes intentionally. Maybe thats why my apa team left me off this half. :o

Firecracker
04-25-2008, 03:06 PM
Most of the time in larger tournaments, it may not be illegal, but it is definitely frowned upon for conceding a ball. In some events I have played, conceding a 9-ball is loss of that game and one additional game. Most local tourneys don't care one way or another, so if the player has a fairly easy shot and has made a decent out, I will concede the game. Pretty much the only time I wouldn't (regardless of tourney, gambling, playing for fun) would be if the player is really out of line or they can't run more than one ball.

worriedbeef
04-25-2008, 03:20 PM
if they have a really easy shot or even two with the eight and nine hanging over both corner pockets for example, i always concede. if i lose the match, then it's not because i conceded a few hangers, it's because i didn't play well enough.

jimmy-leggs
04-25-2008, 03:24 PM
I don,t think theres anything wrong with conceding a game or match if its all there for the picking,infact I think its a sign of respect and hopefully they would do the same.

thyme3421
04-25-2008, 03:33 PM
I've seen the 8 ball in the jaws and the player still misses... not make the 8 and then scratch. not completely miss the 8. Make a perfectly legal hit, but the ball doesn't drop.
Pressure does amazing things to some people... best part is when I benefit from it.

I don't concede unless it's for funsies.

Samiel
04-25-2008, 03:34 PM
All the time.

jgpool
04-25-2008, 04:05 PM
I never concede or do I accept one. I don't allow gimme on the golf course and won't accept those either. IMO Just me. It might be a bad habit. :confused:

str8poolbanger
04-25-2008, 04:10 PM
I concede unless its the game is at double cheese. Otherwise, its my way of respecting their ability at the table. Most don't do it back, must tell me something about my game....lol

deep
04-25-2008, 04:13 PM
I do, i just try and make sure i learn from the mistakes i made in the rack.

jason
04-25-2008, 04:37 PM
I voted yes, but not in all situations.

If I'm playing a 1 on 1 money match and I respect my opponent ability and character, then yes I will. If my opponent doesn't do the same, then I would readjust. This is usually not the case.

If I'm playing some a**hole, then no I won't. No matter how good or bad of a shot he is. You usually get a good idea even before the match begins.

When playing a team match, I usually won't. The reason is because I have a personal responsibility to my teammates to uphold. Im not saying I never have or my teammates never have, but this is just a general rule of mine. I would normally defer to the team captain if there was ever a complaint. Generally, it is not spoken about and it wouldn't matter either way with my teammates.

The bottom line is if you cant concede a game or two, your probably out matched and will lose anyway.

Be a good sport and offer the olive branch when the situation is right. Besides, if it really matters, it is probably about money and you want to get away with the money without a confrontation. This will go along way for your karma.

I dont believe in being petty about things like this.

jamesroberts
04-25-2008, 04:46 PM
I used to concede easy shots and then i played in the florida tour finally last year and i played ronnie wiseman 1st round. Its race to 7 10 ball. He plays a good set and has me 6-4 with a 10 ball in jaws of the side pocket and the cue ball on the spot, all he has to do is roll it in. He makes it with a little speed and some outside and scratches in the other side. I break and run the next rack and its hill-hill when he shoulda won 7-4........ never concede a ball

mullyman
04-25-2008, 05:19 PM
I do if we're just playing. No way in a tournament or if betting.
MULLY
so I chose "No way"..........but I do all the time if it's just friendly games

junksecret
04-25-2008, 06:20 PM
I "give the out" often, but don't understand the as good or better than I am qualifier. I don't base the decision on if the player is better or not, but other factors. Sometimes it's because the shot is sooo easy, sometimes it out of respect, sometimes it's gamesmanship.

While I understand that even SVB can miscue some percentage (even 1 in 1,000,000) on a hanger I don't need the 1 millionth of a percent edge.

On the flip side if I give an opponent a few out balls I am fairly certain he will make and then he gets a little off angle or on the rail and I make him shoot it I think it can add additional pressure since he has avoided that pressure of shooting previous outs.

Subsonic2u
04-25-2008, 06:41 PM
Although I wasn't shooting, I learned a very important lesson. It was the final match, final game of the league session. It was Hill Hill and a 7 (hi handicap in the league) in 8 Ball was shooting on the 8 for the game, match, and 1st place for his team. If he made the ball his team won 1st place and automatically went to the regional playoff. If he missed, and the other player made it, that team (my team which was tied with the other team) won, we would go to the playoffs.

OK, picture this. 8 Ball is in the center of the table just a foot from the pocket. Q ball in center of the table 1 foot from the 8. Perfectly straight in. Extremely easy shot. This top player wanted to show off a little and really wackes the Q ball. He hit low to make a fantastic draw. Well, he miscued and scooped the Q which flew off the table. :eek: He LOST on a straight in shot on the 8 ball, just 1 foot from the pocket. I bet he felt like a real jerk. :D

Taught me a lesson, never conceed. Wait till the fat lady sings. As old Yogi Berra said, "IT AIN'T OVER TILL IT'S OVER."

For one reason or another, even the best or worst player can miss a shot, no matter how easy it is. To this day, I have never conceeded a shot, and once it worked when the other player hit an easy shot on the 8 a little too soft and it hung right on the lip. I won. :cool:

Charlie

JimS
04-25-2008, 06:57 PM
I heard it said that you should always concede. Never let the enemy make the game ball. It fuels optimism and confidence.

CocoboloCowboy
04-25-2008, 08:20 PM

Thanks,
Matt

I never concede games as my oponent could die on the last shot of the match from a Heart Attack. :p

Craig Fales
04-25-2008, 08:27 PM
I used to, but not anymore. You never know when someone is going to jar the pocket. LOLz. Even top shelf players.

Shortside K
04-25-2008, 10:39 PM

If I'm playing a 1 on 1 money match and I respect my opponent ability and character, then yes I will. If my opponent doesn't do the same, then I would readjust. This is usually not the case.

If I'm playing some a**hole, then no I won't. No matter how good or bad of a shot he is. You usually get a good idea even before the match begins.

When playing a team match, I usually won't. The reason is because I have a personal responsibility to my teammates to uphold. I not saying I never have or my teammates never have, but this is just a general rule of mine. I would normally defer to the team captain if there was ever a complaint. Generally, it is not spoken about and it wouldn't matter either way with my teammates.

The bottom line is if you cant concede a game or two, your probably out matched and will lose anyway.

Be a good sport and offer the olive branch when the situation is right. Besides, if it really matters, it is probably about money and you want to get away with the money without a confrontation. This will go along way for your karma.

I believe this is the way most, if not all, high level players approach this situation. Well put.

The people that have stated that they NEVER concede a ball... Dreamers and schemers...

enzo
04-26-2008, 02:18 AM
I don't concede games often, but the situation that really cracks me up is when my opponent concedes all games (many times because of lack of patience and other personal issues mind you), and then I'm EXPECTED to concede his 9 balls. That just makes me laugh every time. People really need to get a clue and think about stuff.

Edit: also, many people think conceding a game is a "favor" every time. We'll I'll tell you, dont do me any favors especially when you're conceding every one and then it's like 7-7 in a race to nine and you approach the table and then step back on my 9ball shot. This the the "im a good guy who concedes...... but really im a cheating a--hole" routine. This is probably far more common than true altruistic motives, which are rare to nonexistent im sure. THE POINT I'D REALLY LIKE TO DRIVE HOME THOUGH IS THAT MANY TIMES PEOPLE CONCEDE GAMES BECAUSE THEY ARE RAMPANTLY IMPATIENT AND CAN'T STAND TO LOSE AND WATCH THEIR OPPONENT POCKET EVERY BALL, they just can't hack it, so they wait until the last possible moment that they figure the guy can't possibly mess this up..... gee, some "favor", thanks a lot. Get some self control and certainly don't complain when I patiently sit in my chair as you shoot your nine balls. It is really laughable if you can truly read what's happening.

Mind you, i have NOTHING against conceding games, just people that expect it to be reciprocated due to their own inadequacies (which isn't always the case for their conceding of course).

ps, the poll should have more options:) such as "i concede games at times to gentlemen i respect but usually not to crack heads that run around the table and can't sit still"

Thunderball
04-26-2008, 02:29 AM
If the match or game matters,then so does every ball.
Everybody dogs an easy one once in a while...

As mentioned,when at the practice table or just playing for the next rack sure...it just moves things along quicker.I'll give up two and three balls at times if I see the out is hard to screw up depending on the OP's speed of course.

DelaWho???
04-26-2008, 05:04 AM

When playing a team match, I (snip) won't. The reason is because I have a personal responsibility to my teammates to uphold. I not saying I never have or my teammates never have, but this is just a general rule of mine. I would normally defer to the team captain if there was ever a complaint. Generally, it is not spoken about and it wouldn't matter either way with my teammates.

That about sums it up. I rarely do it. I have had guys say stuff to me like "You're going to make me shoot that in!?" like I don't respect them. I always say "You don't have to shoot it in if you don't want to. You can always let me shoot it in" The only time I can recall doing it was during a friendly practice session where not even bragging rights are on the line. I think it is as much about expedience as it is about respecting your opponents ability not to dog an easy one.

Banger

pocketspeed
04-26-2008, 05:10 AM
i dont mind conceding a game. i usually do so when i have just thrown away the game-give my opponent bih when he is on the 8 or miss and leave the 8 hanging in the pocket etc (usually play 8 ball).

what really frosts my frump is when an opponent wont take a conceded game. i mean come on. if i say "thats good" and shake hands whats the point of getting down and shooting when you have already won? if your opponent respects you enough to concede, have enough respect to take the game.

brian

Gerry
04-26-2008, 05:15 AM
I don't play many tourneys anymore, but when gambling I'll concede an up table 1 pocket game if I'm playing weaker players a $ per rack game. My odds of winning should be better and if I'm going to win in the long run I need to keep the games as short as possible, and play as many as possible.

You might say....well then the weaker player will just push all the balls up table every game!....maybe, but it's my job not to let them do that! :D

cuesblues
04-26-2008, 05:29 AM

When playing a team match, I usually won't. The reason is because I have a personal responsibility to my teammates to uphold. I not saying I never have or my teammates never have, but this is just a general rule of mine. I would normally defer to the team captain if there was ever a complaint. Generally, it is not spoken about and it wouldn't matter either way with my teammates.

I don't like gimmies in team play either, anything can happen, and marking the pocket seems to be a big deal. When i am gambling, practicing, whatever, it's a little awkward sometimes to make the guy shoot certain shots. i will concede the game rather than wait for a slow player to walk around the table 5-times looking at the shot, or wait for my opponent to get a bridge. Sometimes it is just a way to speed things up a little.

There are also those shots that look easy, that some people struggle with. I've even conceded games, just becasue I was afraid they were going to miss , and I wanted him (or her) to win.

Jason Robichaud
04-26-2008, 07:58 AM
If they are on the last ball, it is my last chance for them to miss. If I miss a ball to let them in, I don't really feel like giving the game ball with it.

The best I have seen though... I was playing a guy race to 9 for 20$ and at 5-5 he ran the 1-5 after my dry break. the 6, 7, 8 and 9 where all really close to pockets. When the 5 dropped he raked the balls. He gave himself the 6-9. I think that was the funniest thing I have seen during a match. Didn't ask, look or say anything... Scoop..rack'em!!!

stick8
04-26-2008, 08:14 AM
I never concede or do I accept one. I don't allow gimme on the golf course and won't accept those either. IMO Just me. It might be a bad habit. :confused:
some of the golf as in match play, to concede to me is a gentelman thing to do as golf is a gentmans game. as in pool if it is a gimmie, i will give it !!!!:D :D :D :D

jason
04-26-2008, 08:44 AM
I never concede games as my oponent could die on the last shot of the match from a Heart Attack. :p
I dont want to win that way! The game isn't that important to me, but I have wanted to kill a few! lol :D :D :D

jason
04-26-2008, 09:09 AM
Here is a short story within the spirit of conceding, sportsmanship, & karma:

I was playing the late WaterDog in a monthly bar tournament. He attempted to play a safety. The two ball were close to the rail and it was a soft, finesse shot with the cue to barely hitting the rail. I was sitting down and didn't have the best angle, but I could clearly tell that the cue ball didn't make it to the rail. I was 95% sure. There wasn't a change of angle or a rebound off the cushion. Another person was in a great position to see shot and agreed with me that it clearly was a foul. I called a foul on him, and he disputed it. He had to call it on himself. So, what was I to do?

I was hooked, fouled, and he ran out. Then he forgot to mark the eight-ball pocket. Folks, I dislike this rule because it is not in the spirit of game and wouldn't have called it on him or anyone else, but in this case I did. He stuck it to me and I had the opportunity to return the favor. Karma, just pure karma.

Now to everyone who never concedes a shot, just remember, chalk up! You too may miss cue!

shinyballs
04-26-2008, 09:12 AM
I was playing one really good female player in a local tournament and I conceded the eight ball. She got all mad and told me "it's a confidence thing." I just consider it respect and I don't mind one bit when someone does it to me.

Now I always concede if she's out because I know it pisses her off :D

frankncali
04-26-2008, 09:16 AM
I try not to and dont like my opponnet to do so either especially when practicing.

It seems that since moving to SoCal 5 years ago I have developed more of a tendency to give the last ball more often than I would like. Here it seems to be very common.

Gambling or in a tournament EVERYONE that I play will shoot them all.
Nothing against the opponent but the game isnt over until all of them are made. It can keep disagreements and issues down as well.

jason
04-26-2008, 09:16 AM
One other thing...I'm always prepared mentally to make everyshot and expect nothing for free.

ironman
04-26-2008, 09:23 AM
I only concede balls in ring games.

jason
04-26-2008, 09:31 AM
Im sure most have seen this before, but its still great to watch.

This is a great example of sportmanship and conceding on Earls part. Tap Tap Earl! How could you not concede after watching this performance?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPj20afa1M8

jgpool
04-26-2008, 09:44 AM
some of the golf as in match play, to concede to me is a gentelman thing to do as golf is a gentmans game. as in pool if it is a gimmie, i will give it !!!!:D :D :D :D

I have to give you that match play gentlemen stuff. That is part of the game. But if you would see me putt from hole to 3 feet you would be remiss in giving me anything. Now in pool that is probably a different story. I just like closure for me and my oppponent. IMO :)

junksecret
04-26-2008, 02:23 PM

I'm confused...a ring game is the only time I would NEVER give an out because I am not the only opponent involved and would be making the decision for others.

cubc
04-26-2008, 02:30 PM
I was in a tournament down 6-3 going to 7. My girlfriend said she would never go to watch me play again if I gave any balls to the opponent. SO that tournament I didnt give up any shots to him. He was on the 9 ball. Very easy shot for him to make and he miscues. I win that game and the next 3 to win the match.

I never give a ball away in a tournament / gambling ever since.

billiardcue
04-26-2008, 02:36 PM
Conceding a game is shark move and not allowed in major tournaments.

I've seen players concede a game at the US Open 9 ball Championship, they lose that game and the next one as a penalty.

Think about it, you have run to the 8 from the break and the opponent concedes the the 9 ball, it has broken your rhythm and not allowed you to sink the cheese. If you watch enough 9 ball you will see the one and the nine are the most frequently missed balls.

Fatboy
04-26-2008, 04:01 PM
I dont play in tournments much, if I did I would play by the tournment directors rules.

when i'm playing a friend for free I usually like to shoot all the balls thats what i'm there for and let them shoot them unless its gonna slow the game down and its a hanger we shoot them all.

in gambling I will give up a ball or 2 perhaps 3 depending on the situation and how the $$$ stands and the momentium my opponent has, I give up balls as a tactic sometimes, who is gonna get mad for giving them a ball or 2?

Something I noticed when I came back to the "Scene" I dropped out in 94 and only played at home for the most part, when I came back in late 06 I noticed that people are less generous about giving up the last shot or 2. I remember watching Kim Davenport playing ?????, for $2000/set race to 11, 9-ball at Great American Billiards in Sacramento. He was spotting who ever he was playing only the 8 so the other guy could play this was in around 88-89 when Kim was beating the world-well the west coast and shortly there after he was Player Of The Year :). The pockets were big and take balls rather easy they were Rebco tables, they would wipe the table sometimes if one of them scratched on the 5 ball for example, just to get to the next rack. Lots of 4 and 5 packs. They hardly ever shot the 9 so it wasnt like they were giving up much IMO. Once in a while they would make the guy shooting shoot them all but not often. Kim and I were talking about this game a couple months ago and we both remembered he won $6,000 but neither of us could remember who he played, it wasnt Tall Paul, or Chris MacDonald, man we were banging our heads to remember, But my point is times have changed and now people make their opponent shoot everything it seems and the rack your own. its all good with me. just sharing an observation of how things change over time, man I feel old like Jay Helfert IS. :p ;)

Snapshot9
04-26-2008, 04:28 PM
If I concede, it is only the 9 ball, and it depends. For a good friend, and an easy shot I will, otherwise usually no.

There are many psychological implications from conceding balls, How it is done, to who, and why? Which could be a very long discussion. I usually decide during the match, but I never concede balls in a serious tournament, meaning 32 players and up.

There are times though, particularly with friends, when it is a sign of respect for them perhaps on the final easy 9 ball. I never concede nothing in a hill-hill match though under any circumstances.

And I do not play for free, so that is not a factor for me. I gamble or I play tournaments 100% of the time.

Avenger
04-26-2008, 05:15 PM
I have only done it once. I fouled, my opponent had ball in hand on the 8 ball. It was one diamond away from the pocket. But I knew this guy was a shooter not a banger so I did it. Normally I would not do it. Make them earn the win.

ironman
04-26-2008, 05:19 PM
I'm confused...a ring game is the only time I would NEVER give an out because I am not the only opponent involved and would be making the decision for others.

I was just funnin!!!

TheNewSharkster
04-26-2008, 05:51 PM
Although I wasn't shooting, I learned a very important lesson. It was the final match, final game of the league session. It was Hill Hill and a 7 (hi handicap in the league) in 8 Ball was shooting on the 8 for the game, match, and 1st place for his team. If he made the ball his team won 1st place and automatically went to the regional playoff. If he missed, and the other player made it, that team (my team which was tied with the other team) won, we would go to the playoffs.

OK, picture this. 8 Ball is in the center of the table just a foot from the pocket. Q ball in center of the table 1 foot from the 8. Perfectly straight in. Extremely easy shot. This top player wanted to show off a little and really wackes the Q ball. He hit low to make a fantastic draw. Well, he miscued and scooped the Q which flew off the table. :eek: He LOST on a straight in shot on the 8 ball, just 1 foot from the pocket. I bet he felt like a real jerk. :D

Taught me a lesson, never conceed. Wait till the fat lady sings. As old Yogi Berra said, "IT AIN'T OVER TILL IT'S OVER."

For one reason or another, even the best or worst player can miss a shot, no matter how easy it is. To this day, I have never conceeded a shot, and once it worked when the other player hit an easy shot on the 8 a little too soft and it hung right on the lip. I won. :cool:

Charlie

This one made me laugh. I cannot believe that guy was able to become a SL7 in the first place. In that situation you do a simple stun stop shot or draw it back a couple inches. If I am playing with some friends or practicing with someone I like to concede on the 9 or 8 and I also like to play around with silly position shots if it is easy but in a serious situation you should treat it as such.

Fatboy
04-26-2008, 06:51 PM
And I do not play for free, so that is not a factor for me. I gamble or I play tournaments 100% of the time.

I was like that years ago and if I could play enough on a regular basis, I wouldnt play for free often, I perfer to have something bet,

junksecret
04-27-2008, 02:33 AM
Originally Posted by ironman
I was just funnin!!!
hehehe....without a smiley I didn't know....shoulda known from all your rep but I thought......maybe he's just a REALLY nice guy..........:D

tatcat2000
04-27-2008, 10:56 AM
I've seen players concede a game at the US Open 9 ball Championship, they lose that game and the next one as a penalty.

With Nationals coming up it would be good to note that the BCAPL has a similar rule for concessions: first offense, warning; second offense, your score reduced by one game in addition to the game you conceded; third offense, loss of match.

See BCAPL Rule 1.43 (pg. 33) and Applied Ruling 1.43 (pg. 83) at

http://www.playbca.com/Downloads/Rulebook/CompleteRulebook/tabid/372/Default.aspx

However, just like most other rules, at a BCAPL event a referee will not become involved until being invited to the table. So if you concede and your opponent does not ask for the penalty to be enforced then there is no consequence.

That having been said, the penalties can be severe and you would be well advised not to test your opponent. At least when playing at a BCAPL event, let the game play out.

:)

Buddy Eick, BCAPL National Senior Referee and
BCAPL Referee Training Coordinator
bca_referee@yahoo.com

 The contents of this post refer to BCA Pool League (BCAPL) Rules only. The BCAPL National Office has authorized me to act in an official capacity regarding questions about BCAPL Rules matters in this forum.
 The BCAPL has no association with the Billiard Congress of America (BCA) other than in their capacity as a member of the BCA.
 No reference to, inference concerning, or comment on any other set of rules (WPA, APA, VNEA, TAP, or any other set of rules, public or private) is intended or should be derived from this post unless specifically stated.
 Not every imaginable rules issue has been addressed by the BCAPL. Nor will it ever be, as evidenced by the seemingly endless situations that people dream up or that (more frequently) actually happen. If I do not have the answer to a question I will tell you so, then I will get a ruling from the BCAPL National Office and get back to you as soon as I can. If deemed appropriate, that ruling will then be added to the "Applied Rulings" section of The Official Rules of the BCA Pool League.:)

pistolero
04-27-2008, 03:21 PM
I made an opponent shot ball in hand on the nine once and he missed. Latter in the same tourny I made another player shot ball in hand on nine and he missed. I never give a ball anymore.

matcase
04-27-2008, 03:24 PM
If the opponent has made a nice run and has an easy shot, I'll throw in the towel, however, if they get out of line on the winner, I like to see if they can bear down and knock it in.

tom haney
04-27-2008, 03:44 PM
I do, but some inexperienced players don't like it.
They want the pleasure of shooting the game winner in.
I know a girl who's been mad at me for 5 years for not giving her the satisfaction of shooting the 8 ball in on me.

Fatboy
04-27-2008, 04:42 PM
I know a girl who's been mad at me for 5 years for not giving her the satisfaction of shooting the 8 ball in on me.

thats exactly my point, it can be used as a tactic in action to get the other guy soft or pissed, it works better than wishing for a million to one miscue on a hanger. It might seem like I'm giving up something by throwing in the towel on a $$$ ball or a couple easy shots but in reality its a move, wishing for a million to one miscue is for less experienced gamblers IMO. I aint the strongest player but I gamble real good-there is a big difference there, think Justin vs. John Morra. sure those guys are great players but even weaker players can moce good, however they didnt give up any if any balls-sometimes I dont either, it just depends.

Shortside K
04-28-2008, 10:11 PM
I made an opponent shot ball in hand on the nine once and he missed. Latter in the same tourny I made another player shot ball in hand on nine and he missed. I never give a ball anymore.

Man, that must be one heck of a pool hotbed there...

Shortside K
04-28-2008, 10:18 PM
If the opponent has made a nice run and has an easy shot, I'll throw in the towel, however, if they get out of line on the winner, I like to see if they can bear down and knock it in.

Exactly as most players do.

jay helfert
04-29-2008, 12:08 AM
I dont play in tournments much, if I did I would play by the tournment directors rules.

when i'm playing a friend for free I usually like to shoot all the balls thats what i'm there for and let them shoot them unless its gonna slow the game down and its a hanger we shoot them all.

in gambling I will give up a ball or 2 perhaps 3 depending on the situation and how the $$$ stands and the momentium my opponent has, I give up balls as a tactic sometimes, who is gonna get mad for giving them a ball or 2?

Something I noticed when I came back to the "Scene" I dropped out in 94 and only played at home for the most part, when I came back in late 06 I noticed that people are less generous about giving up the last shot or 2. I remember watching Kim Davenport playing ?????, for $2000/set race to 11, 9-ball at Great American Billiards in Sacramento. He was spotting who ever he was playing only the 8 so the other guy could play this was in around 88-89 when Kim was beating the world-well the west coast and shortly there after he was Player Of The Year :). The pockets were big and take balls rather easy they were Rebco tables, they would wipe the table sometimes if one of them scratched on the 5 ball for example, just to get to the next rack. Lots of 4 and 5 packs. They hardly ever shot the 9 so it wasnt like they were giving up much IMO. Once in a while they would make the guy shooting shoot them all but not often. Kim and I were talking about this game a couple months ago and we both remembered he won $6,000 but neither of us could remember who he played, it wasnt Tall Paul, or Chris MacDonald, man we were banging our heads to remember, But my point is times have changed and now people make their opponent shoot everything it seems and the rack your own. its all good with me. just sharing an observation of how things change over time, man I feel old like Jay Helfert IS. :p ;)

I'm not too old to whip your ass....on a pool table! :D

softshot
04-29-2008, 12:28 AM
anyone can miss any shot at any given moment....sometimes its astronomical odds.... but it does happen.. and it hapent to the big dogs as well as the pups.. anyone can choke a shot at any time....

the game isn't over till its over.

mullyman
04-29-2008, 12:28 AM
If I'm shooting with a friend on a regular night just out having a good time I'll give up the 9 if he's got good position. I'll give up the 8-9 if I scratch and give him BIH. We're A class players, 99.9% of the time we're not going to screw them up and even if we did, who cares? It's a friendly game. It's kind of an unwritten rule here but in a friendly game you don't concede if the person is running out from the break. Give them the honor of letting them run the entire rack.

In a tournament setting, no, I don't concede games. I feel like I should but I have experience in that area. I was playing a pro in the top 8 of a tournament and at hill - hill he missed a shot that a C player is going to make 99% of the time. The 9 was in the jaws of the pocket but he made me shoot it. I learned a lot about tournament play in that one course of events. Sure, I respect the people I play against but there is that outside chance that something could go wrong.

MULLY

Jimmy M.
04-29-2008, 03:12 AM
I've always felt it was a little nitty to sit around and hope my opponent falls over dead and misses a hanger. Unless I'm playing in a tournament where the rules are to let your opponent shoot every shot, I'll usually concede the hangers. Not to mention, I'm usually anxious to put that game behind me and get to the next one. I see no need to watch my opponent pop in a hanger when we could be on to the next rack.

Inaction
04-29-2008, 04:11 AM
I watched a match years ago in West Central MN between an older guy who liked to play "chess" 8-ball. Soft breaks, rolling balls around, calling safe and pocketing some balls until he was able to easily get out. His opponent was a very good player.

"Jake" missed a safety and left the table wide open. He pulled all the 12+ balls together and racked for the next game, not wanting his opponent to get into stroke.

predator
04-29-2008, 04:23 AM
Conceding the final ball is a bad habit. What you do in a friendly game can easily transfer to an important tornament or money match. I don't care who the opposing player is...Reyes, Strickland, whoever...nobody can make any given shot 100% of the time. If we really want to save some time, why not concede last 5 balls?

tom haney
04-29-2008, 04:43 AM
Conceding the final ball is a bad habit. What you do in a friendly game can easily transfer to an important tornament or money match. I don't care who the opposing player is...Reyes, Strickland, whoever...nobody can make any given shot 100% of the time. If we really want to save some time, why not concede last 5 balls?

LOL! I've actually done that in one pocket.

Curtis Smith
04-29-2008, 06:03 AM
I don't concede games, but at times it seems like it would be okay. What burns me is the people who want to concede two, three or more balls as if to say 'these shots are so easy for me, you couldn't possibly miss those..'.

I watched a match right here on AZ Billiards tv the other day. I don't want to mention who was playing but the one player kept conceding games, sometimes 3+ balls!! Now I realize they are pros and probably wouldn't miss but come on!!!! It pissed me off just watching it. I say let the other guy shoot, give him the satisfaction of winning AND there is the chance he will miss.

cubc
04-29-2008, 06:18 AM
I don't concede games, but at times it seems like it would be okay. What burns me is the people who want to concede two, three or more balls as if to say 'these shots are so easy for me, you couldn't possibly miss those..'.

I watched a match right here on AZ Billiards tv the other day. I don't want to mention who was playing but the one player kept conceding games, sometimes 3+ balls!! Now I realize they are pros and probably wouldn't miss but come on!!!! It pissed me off just watching it. I say let the other guy shoot, give him the satisfaction of winning AND there is the chance he will miss.

Deuel vs Nevel ? lol

JimS
04-29-2008, 06:48 AM
I heard it said that you should always concede. Never let the enemy make the game ball. It fuels optimism and confidence.

Copied from the post by Inaction (I can't figure out how to get two quoted posts in one reply) "I watched a match years ago in West Central MN between an older guy who liked to play "chess" 8-ball. Soft breaks, rolling balls around, calling safe and pocketing some balls until he was able to easily get out. His opponent was a very good player.

"Jake" missed a safety and left the table wide open. He pulled all the 12+ balls together and racked for the next game, not wanting his opponent to get into stroke."

That's what I was saying. I want to shoot it when I'm winning. It feels good. :cool:

Curtis Smith
04-29-2008, 06:52 AM
Yes, the Deuel v. Nevel match had a lot of concedes but I was thinking of Mitch Ellerman, I believe.