PDA

View Full Version : Historic Teak Cue Wood From USS California

QMAKER
04-25-2008, 05:41 PM
I was fortunate enough to acquire some 100 year old teak decking salvaged from the USS California (BB-44) (see pic). The piece is approx 30" x 4" x 2" and I figure I can get about 4 handles or forearms out of it plus some butt sleeves and JP's. I intend to inscribe each piece with USS California (BB-44) decking.

For you WWII history buffs: The USS California's keel was laid on 25 October 1916. The wood was probably harvested 10 years prior to that. She missed WWI but certainly did not miss WWII. She was sunk at Pearl Harbor, rebuilt and participated in the invasion of the Marianas, Saipan, Guam, Tinean, Leyte and Luzon. She also participated in the invasion of Okinawa and the landing of the 6th Army at Honshu, Japan at the end of the war. She was decommissioned in February of 1947 and sold for scrap in 1959.

Her teak decks where removed and sold, mostly to curators for other WWII
battleships and cruisers that were being converted into museums. However, many pieces ended up on the decks of the "Big Mo" which saw action in Vietnam and Lebanon.

If anyone has any additional info on this wood I would like to hear from them.

Bob Flynn
denalicues.com
International Cuemakers Assn.
http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc241/QMAKER/TEAKPICAJPEG.jpg

gedukas
04-25-2008, 07:38 PM
thats pretty cool......having an extremely unique cue made sounds like a cool idea. I don't know if it would be extremely value money wise, but it would be a great conversation piece if you played with it.

QMAKER
04-27-2008, 09:44 AM
Hi: I have decided to make 4 cues from this piece of decking. I cut
the piece up Saturday and will have enough for 4 handles 11" long.
The end pieces I am going to donate to the USS California (BB-44)
veterans re-union. The pieces will be mounted on some kind of plaque and
donated to them for their reunion in October at Norfolk. I have sold two cues
so far, both to active Navy guys. The other two I will also hold for Navy guys, active or retired.

Bob Flynn/Denali Pool Cues

MikeJanis
04-27-2008, 09:49 AM
That is SUPER COOL !

Good luck with the historical cues and PLEASE post pics of them when you complete the cues.

Mj

QMAKER
04-28-2008, 10:21 AM
Hello: Thanks to all for your input and the e-mails. I have decided to just
make the four cues in a Merry Widow style, using only woods (except the teak which will be a wrapless handle) grown in the USA. This will keep the time element and cost down to a reasonable level (about $250 for active Navy and vets, $200 for disabled vets). If you want one send me a PM and some kind of evidence that you are in the above mentioned category.

Also, I have now been promised some deck pieces from the USS Bataan. Will
post pics and details when they arrive. If anyone out there in cyberspace has a historic or special piece of wood let me know. Maybe we can use a piece of it in a cue.

Take care and thanks for your service,

Bob Flynn
denalicues.com
International Cuemakers Assoc.