PDA

View Full Version : which jump/break tip and ferrule?

J$Cincy
04-25-2008, 07:04 PM
Just trying to get some ideas of what options are out there. I am having a new shaft made for my jump break and trying to get some opinions of what set up is most effective these days, most people seem to lean towards the one piece phenolic tip-ferrule combo. I am looking for what ever gets the best height on the ball for short distance shots, so i guess I need the hardest tip, but will that be useful in break since there is a lack of chalk adherence to the tip? Any input will be appreciated...JS

LoGiC
04-25-2008, 07:36 PM
There's another tip out there, canvas resin I believe it is. Its nearly as hard as phenolic, but it holds chalk much better.

My preference is actually a hard leather tip, but I'm a big guy and don't require the added power phenolic seems to give. I have trouble keeping the cue ball on the table with it :o

cincyman
04-26-2008, 01:36 AM
Just trying to get some ideas of what options are out there. I am having a new shaft made for my jump break and trying to get some opinions of what set up is most effective these days, most people seem to lean towards the one piece phenolic tip-ferrule combo. I am looking for what ever gets the best height on the ball for short distance shots, so i guess I need the hardest tip, but will that be useful in break since there is a lack of chalk adherence to the tip? Any input will be appreciated...JS
Dude, I just got one of those cannons with the phenolic ferrule combo like my brother has and even I make balls on the break now! You can have andy cut some grooves on it to hold the chalk which works awesome.

LWW
04-26-2008, 02:47 AM
I use a Lucasi cheapie with a phenolic tip.

LWW

J$Cincy
04-26-2008, 07:44 AM
Dude, I just got one of those cannons with the phenolic ferrule combo like my brother has and even I make balls on the break now! You can have andy cut some grooves on it to hold the chalk which works awesome.

yea, that is what i was leaning towards because it can be done in all black, andy said anything more than that and it is overkill. he told me to get separate (regular phenolic) ferrule with separate phenolic tip, and that if and when the phenolic tip starts to crack you can just replace the tip instead of paying for a whaole ferrule job...JS