PDA

View Full Version : Table Height

pletho
04-26-2008, 03:44 AM
This is my observation, most all pool tables 9 ft for the most part have a standard height, there is a pool hall locally here in town that has all kinds of action all the time, the owner at some point in the past has made all the tables higher than any other pool room in the city, I would say at least1-2 inches I cannot tell exactly because I have never measured them, but when I play on them they are definately higher and it affects my play and takes quite a while to get used to.

I have noticed that it affects longs shots, breaking and my stroke, what I was curious about is if any one else has a room like this?

I honestly think it gives the regulars in that pool room a slight advantage becasue of the equipment difference? Also the time it takes for you to get warmed up in just coming in and starting to play.

I for some reason always play seem to play at least 1-2 balls worse at times, than in my own local room?

I think that it is just a little move to give a little home field advantage to those who play in this room...

What do you all think, could have been planned specifically for what it does.

Also by no means are these table bad tables they are diamonds and gold crowns, also valley bar tables and diamiond bar tables. The bar tables really are not that big of it deal it is mainly the 9 fts.

cigardave
04-26-2008, 07:11 AM
FWIW, according to the WPA equipment standards, the height of the playing surface of a table used in a WPA event must be between 29.25" and 31"... a 1.75" variance... which seems like a lot. I would expect most tables to be set at ~30".

here's the WPA table and equipment specifications link (http://www.wpa-pool.com/index.asp?content=rules_spec)

It's hard to imagine that a hall purposely has their table set up to provide an advantage... or maybe not. :rolleyes:

Perhaps the owner is a bit taller than most. ;)

n10spool
04-26-2008, 11:10 AM
I like 30-31" to the top of the slateMy back doesn't seem to hurt as much. It's my stance i'm making changes for it. short people like a low table so they can reach way out on shots which also give an advantage to taller people they get an extra inch or two. I think breaking on a lower table your over the break instead of behind it for more power in the stroke. A taller table people think it binds up a players stroke just a bit, and makes it easier to get balls out of the ball rack and prop pocket's.

I personaly feel that I play better on taller table I get my chin inline over the stick more like a snooker player. take a look at snooker tables and see how high they are. I think they are 32-33" to the top of the slate.