PDA

View Full Version : Who here has a cue in the works or is waiting for one to be completed?

branpureza
04-26-2008, 11:36 AM
Things to consider in your reply:

- Who is making it for you?

- How long have you been waiting?

- How long is the usual wait?

- Has the overall experience been positive? (including communication)

I'll go 1st...

I just got off the phone with Ernie Gutierrez (he called me) and he told me my cue will be done in a month. I ordered my cue on 10/24/07 and was told the wait time would be 8-10 months. I'll be getting it in 7. This is my 3rd cue from Ernie and he has always been on time or earlier with my orders. He answers the phone with a pleasant voice every time I call and e-mails me back the same day. My experience with Ginacue has been nothing less than perfect in every way.

Now lets hear what you guys have coming...

Thanks for the replys, Brandon.

ShootingArts
04-26-2008, 01:25 PM
I have been waiting on a certain cue maker to make my cue for several years. He has all of my money up front and the materials on hand, but he keeps putting everybody else's work in front of mine. He has time to take two week vacations, but no time to build my cue. He even puts wasting time talking on AZB in front of making my cue. He communicates well with me, he just doesn't build my cue! I get annoyed with him every time I have to drag out my chopped up el'cheapo cue to play with. What a low-life skunk!

Hu

branpureza
04-26-2008, 01:33 PM
I have been waiting on a certain cue maker to make my cue for several years. He has all of my money up front and the materials on hand, but he keeps putting everybody else's work in front of mine. He has time to take two week vacations, but no time to build my cue. He even puts wasting time talking on AZB in front of making my cue. He communicates well with me, he just doesn't build my cue! I get annoyed with him every time I have to drag out my chopped up el'cheapo cue to play with. What a low-life skunk!

Hu

Several years? How long was the wait time quoted to you? If I were you I would ask for a refund or make a personal visit to his house and offer some "assistance" in completing your cue.

cubswin
04-26-2008, 01:43 PM
have three cues on order.

A sneaky conversion from Joey Bautista. Been on order for about 5 months I think, though it could be more or less. Really don't remember. No money paid. Haven't asked about it in a while, though Joey does mention it from time to time. Think he said something like a year when I asked about it to begin with.

Have a cue near completion from Eric Crisp, last word was two weeks or less. He answers my questions when I ask him about it. Not in any particular hurry to get it, so not worried about the time. Just like to know where he is at so I can budget my money for the cue. He isn't fast, he will tell you that. More interested in his family than making cues. If he took money up front before taking a order I would want him to be faster. Thats not how he works though. To me his cues are worth the wait, and since I have no out of pocket money involved I'm willing to wait as long as it takes. Besides that he likes to fish, and hoping to get him in my boat in a couple of months. In other words I like Eric, think he builds a great cue at a good price.

The other is a sneaky from Mason, that should ship to me soon. Need to send him a shaft off my j/j and I'm supplying the tip for my sneaky. So as soon as I get those shipped out to him I should get the sneaky shortly there after. Believe he is ahead of schedule on this cue, and if it plays like the last one I'll be very happy.

All three have been very easy to deal with. Not my first cue from them. Second cue from all three.

No deposits on any of the three cues. I rarely buy a cue if I have to put a deposit down. The exception would be from Bob Dzuricky, and he has always been ahead of his suggested time frame for completion on anything he's done for me. So I don't mind with him. Never have heard of him being slow either. Mostly I don't like deposits. When I pay them I have higher expectations of completion times, and get more frustrated. Just easier without them. Last cue I had made where frustration was high was one that was paid in full, and then 2 months behind on delivery date. That two months behind was after I was told it was done and paid for it. That cuemaker won't get another order, though I believe he has recently stop making cues anyway.

cubswin
04-26-2008, 01:45 PM

Hu

so when do you think your going to get around to making that cue for yourself?

ShootingArts
04-26-2008, 01:46 PM
Several years? How long was the wait time quoted to you? If I were you I would ask for a refund or make a personal visit to his house and offer some "assistance" in completing your cue.

I visit his house every night. He is like a plumber with time to work on everyone else's plumbing but his own. Even my personal jump cue butt is sitting in my wood rack unfinished. I turned it most of the way down six months ago and haven't touched it since. The cue maker in question is me!

Hu

cueandcushion
04-26-2008, 01:52 PM
I have had Jacoby cue make quite a few custom cues for me and my customers. Wait time is usually around 12 weeks or so. Depending on the complexity of the cue. I just had our rental cues finished. They were fairly simple but they had to custom laser engrave our names on the shafts, I wanted the weights and stain colors coordinated etc. Took a little longer but I tell them what my priorities are. If I am a rush I will make it known. This was for "stock" and I understand if they have high dollar cues to make first. They are pretty good at staying on schedule and very good with communication. They have made about 25 custom cues for us over the past few years I guess? Pretty good track record with them.

ShootingArts
04-26-2008, 01:55 PM
so when do you think your going to get around to making that cue for yourself?

Soon . . . of course soon is beyond tomorrow and tomorrow never comes. My ivory I set aside for me has been sitting there over a year now. Building my own cue is right behind putting the finishing touches on my shop that I built right after Katrina. Always something else more pressing. One day though . . .

Hu

branpureza
04-26-2008, 02:00 PM
The cue maker in question is me!

Hu

haha you got me. sounds like somebody needs to get their priorities straight... ;)

ShootingArts
04-26-2008, 05:29 PM
haha you got me. sounds like somebody needs to get their priorities straight... ;)

The real problem is that I want to build myself a bit of a showpiece cue so folks will ask about it when I use it in a hall. It is a larger project than I want to get started on until I can stay with it through some major steps so it keeps getting put on the back burner.

Hu

JoeyInCali
04-26-2008, 06:59 PM
The real problem is that I want to build myself a bit of a showpiece cue so folks will ask about it when I use it in a hall. It is a larger project than I want to get started on until I can stay with it through some major steps so it keeps getting put on the back burner.

Hu
Err, cuemakers can't afford themselves a "showcase" cue.
Hell, I use my reject shaft.
But, I did build me a brazilian rosewood front with pommele bubinga handle and no bumper. Pffft, who needs a bumper?
I will glad to show the cue to anyone if I make it to Hard Times first Sunday next month. It's my beater cue. Dinged well, shaft ring does not match and all. But, hit it with it and lemme know

A sneaky conversion from Joey Bautista. Been on order for about 5 months I think, though it could be more or less. Really don't remember.
WOAH! You have a short memory. I asked you to measure your "armspand", your heads shadow's distance 33 degrees to your right side and your grip pressure by the milligrams per inch so we can customize this to your liking.
Your shaft is ferruled and collared just needs one more fine pass but am waiting if you want a custom copy of Meucci or Predator taper.
Spun the butt today and am really happy it has not moved an eyelash since February when we talked.

JimS
04-26-2008, 07:01 PM
I'm having Steve Klapp make me a break cue to match my Sailor playing cue. I ordered it 2 weeks ago and he told me about 90 days to git'r done. But it'll probably be sooner.

kvinbrwr
04-26-2008, 08:33 PM

I'll go 1st...

I just got off the phone with Ernie Gutierrez (he called me) and he told me my cue will be done in a month. I ordered my cue on 10/24/07 and was told the wait time would be 8-10 months. I'll be getting it in 7. This is my 3rd cue from Ernie and he has always been on time or earlier with my orders. He answers the phone with a pleasant voice every time I call and e-mails me back the same day. My experience with Ginacue has been nothing less than perfect in every way.

Brandon

I'm waiting on a new Gina also. Ernie is the best, he works by himself in that shop all day 5 or 6 days a week and turns out a perfect product that looks and feels like what was discussed, right on time he never overpromises.

I think my new stick and yours might be in the same batch. Ernie claims that the majority of 2008 (after his current batch) will be dedicated to making 3 cues. I can't wait to see those 3 sticks. I need a new Gina because the guy I sold an old 60s Gina saw my new Gina 11D and had to have that (he traded the old Gina back to me - owned it for about 10 minutes). If you like Ginas, you like Ginas.

I like Ginacues, can't wait to see my new one.

Kevin

BlowFish
04-26-2008, 08:45 PM
I order a cue with no date set. With or without a down-payment. I wait and wait some more, actually much much more. If I get an update, I say "Thanx for the update."

"Patience is a virtue, it won't hurt you." :D

Darn, I need to update my signature, Masonh has delivered the cue. ;)

hoosier_cues
04-26-2008, 08:53 PM
I have three on order....

First is a J/B from Doug Patrick. Will have it next week or so. He will be delivering the cue on time. He answers emails very quickly. I THINK there was a $100 deposit. Doug is awsome to talk to. Can't ask for a better guy.

Second is a Steve Klein. I emailed him late last year to get on the list. He emailed back the same day and said he could start it in March. He emailed me in early April saying he was ready to finalize my build. He answered all questions very quickly. He didn't ask for a deposit. I think he said about 6 months for completion.

Third is a cue from Mason. Just got on his list a week ago. I think he said he had three batches in front of me. He also answers question very quickly. Didn't ask for a deposit.

Personally I have only had a problem with one cue maker. He took full payment up front. Then he was 1 year late. Then when I got the cue there was problems. After that I said never again would I pay 100% deposits. BTW this cue maker doesn't post here.

mullyman
04-26-2008, 09:16 PM
I don't have anything on order at the moment but if I can talk up a few cue makers I'm glad to do it.

Paul Mottey: Takes the order, gives a date and sticks to it. He was only late once but that was because his wife's mother passed away right around the time my cue was to be ready. I let him slide on that one. :D If you give him a design he doesn't change things around to fit it to what he thinks would be better. There are a few out there that do that, buyer beware. I've always given him leeway though because I totally respect his eye for design on a cue. I give him the basic outline of what I'm looking for and tell him to do whatever he thinks is best with it. He returns mails in a timely manner and, well, he makes the best cues on the market. Personal opinion.

James White: Well, considering he's in Paul's shop Paul probably expects the same amount of dedication. Jim was really nice to deal with. Shipping was right on time and the cue was perfect. Mails replied to in a timely manner with full explanations and not just one or two word answers to get you off his back. Would/will definitely deal with him again.

Gina: I can't say anything more than the original poster said. I've orderd 3 or 4 cues from Ernie in the past and he's spot on with everything he says and does. I think I got my cues a little earlier than quoted too. It's been a few years so I don't really remember but if there was anything bad I wouldn't have forgotten. I just got 2 shafts from him in February actually. Got them right when he said I would. My only complaint with Gina, and I'm not even sure if it's a complaint or not, but the guy that answered his phone the first time told me he'd talk to Ernie about the cue I wanted to order but if Ernie didn't like the colors I chose for the veneers then he wouldn't build it. I don't know, I'm a fairly standard person so I wasn't worried about that happening, it just made me a little uncomfortable. I would not hesitate one millisecond to order from Ernie again though. He was/is fantastic and definitely a master at what he does. I would suggest people that want hot pink veneers moving on somewhere else though. :D

MULLY

branpureza
04-26-2008, 09:48 PM
Gina: I can't say anything more than the original poster said. I've orderd 3 or 4 cues from Ernie in the past and he's spot on with everything he says and does. I think I got my cues a little earlier than quoted too. It's been a few years so I don't really remember but if there was anything bad I wouldn't have forgotten. I just got 2 shafts from him in February actually. Got them right when he said I would. My only complaint with Gina, and I'm not even sure if it's a complaint or not, but the guy that answered his phone the first time told me he'd talk to Ernie about the cue I wanted to order but if Ernie didn't like the colors I chose for the veneers then he wouldn't build it. I don't know, I'm a fairly standard person so I wasn't worried about that happening, it just made me a little uncomfortable. I would not hesitate one millisecond to order from Ernie again though. He was/is fantastic and definitely a master at what he does. I would suggest people that want hot pink veneers moving on somewhere else though. :D

MULLY

The guy you talked to was probably Sorin.. he doesn't work there anymore, it's just Ernie... I've asked Ernie about his opinion on a few things and he has said to me, and I quote: "I don't like them but if thats what you want that's what you get." so if you want those hot pink veneers I'm pretty sure he'd make you one that was pinktastic.

branpureza
04-26-2008, 09:52 PM
Brandon

I'm waiting on a new Gina also. Ernie is the best, he works by himself in that shop all day 5 or 6 days a week and turns out a perfect product that looks and feels like what was discussed, right on time he never overpromises.

I think my new stick and yours might be in the same batch. Ernie claims that the majority of 2008 (after his current batch) will be dedicated to making 3 cues. I can't wait to see those 3 sticks. I need to new Gina because a guy I sold an old 60s Gina saw my new Gina 11D and had to have that (he traded the old Gina back to me - owned it for about 10 minutes). If you like Ginas, you like Ginas.

I like Ginacues, can't wait to see my new one.

Kevin

Nice, I'm sure we are in the same batch... Be sure to shoot me a pm when you receive yours, or sooner...

cubswin
04-26-2008, 10:10 PM
A sneaky conversion from Joey Bautista. Been on order for about 5 months I think, though it could be more or less. Really don't remember.
WOAH! You have a short memory. I asked you to measure your "armspand", your heads shadow's distance 33 degrees to your right side and your grip pressure by the milligrams per inch so we can customize this to your liking.
Your shaft is ferruled and collared just needs one more fine pass but am waiting if you want a custom copy of Meucci or Predator taper.
Spun the butt today and am really happy it has not moved an eyelash since February when we talked.

I was hoping we could copy a DPK taper instead of a meucci....

Glad the butt is staying straight :)

mullyman
04-26-2008, 10:19 PM
The guy you talked to was probably Sorin.. he doesn't work there anymore, it's just Ernie... I've asked Ernie about his opinion on a few things and he has said to me, and I quote: "I don't like them but if thats what you want that's what you get." so if you want those hot pink veneers I'm pretty sure he'd make you one that was pinktastic.

Yeah, Sorin, that's his name. Like I said, it wasn't really a complaint as much as a not so great comment. I've dealt with Ernie numerous times and found him to be fantastic each time. If anyone was to ask me if they should order a cue from Ernie or not I would not hesitate to tell them they should.
MULLY

Poolhalljunkie
04-26-2008, 10:19 PM
I have 2 South West's on order, original order February 2004 was told 7 years then. I am waiting patiently for the day when Laurie calls to finalize designs. She wouldn't take any money down.

barber23
04-26-2008, 10:38 PM
I have a 8 point ebony with snakewood and ivory points on order. I was told it should be a couple more months which would make it around a year or so. Nice to deal with and I have no complaints. I would recomend him. Can't wait to see the cue. I will post pictures when I can.

barber23
04-27-2008, 08:57 PM
yeah I am very anxious I currently have a sneeky pete from rick and it plays and looks good

Fatboy
04-27-2008, 10:33 PM
i have a SW on order, nothing on paper just a request. Were friends so someday it will pop up, last one was pretty fast this one has been a while, i'm in no hurry, last time I was and Laurie hooked me up-it still took years.

I usually dont order cues from cue makers, I know them and sometimes they ask me if I want something sometimes I say yes some times I turn them down, I could flip them at a profit but I dont believe in doing that-its not my business, so when I buy a cue from a cue maker that is offered to me I keep it, period. Now if its something I ordered and for what ever reason dont want it, I sell it for cost. I let the cue makers, or dealer's have the profit-its amazing the favors you get for giving a little. Good-will is something that is scarce in pool but it sure goes along way, so I'm a nice guy like that.

Its funny how the haters who have such strong opinions about me seem to be the least informed about me, ask around about what I said above.:)

poolhustler
04-27-2008, 11:40 PM
I have a few on order and will post up pics when they are done.

Prewitt
Searing
Carmeli
Carmeli J/B.

Can't wait to get them.....

Russ

1-pocket-player
04-27-2008, 11:40 PM
I am waiting on a cue from Joey Bautista too.:D

He's torturing me.

He's sending the cue to me piece by piece.:p ;)

-Andy

Snookered
04-28-2008, 02:43 AM
Cues on order:

1) Searing. Ordered end of 2002. Dennis said he will try to make one for me end of year. But I guess the wait will be longer. No deposit. I do not want to comment on the communication part.

2) Dayton. Ordered mid last year. My third cue from Paul. Extremely good communication. We do chat a lots on MSN. No deposit. The nicest cuemaker you can find.

3) Southwest. Ordered mid 2002 or 2003? Has 5 of them now but this will be directly from Laurie. No deposit. Fast communication. Thinking what woods combination to use when my turn is up.

4) Joeyincali. Time ordered unknown. Number of orders unknown. Delivery time unknown. Good thing - No deposit. Fastest comunications I ever get.

5) Doug Patrick. Ordered on Feb 2008. Davis blank conversion. No deposit.
fast comunications and honest. First cue from Doug.

6) Murray Tucker. Ordered 2003? Two blanks and to be send to Layani for inlays and finishing works. No deposit. Waiting time unknown.

Snookered <== no more

Ant812
04-28-2008, 11:21 AM
i have a bob frey cocabola sneaky arriving tomorow, got the call this morning that it was done. orderd from cues n things. jp is a great guy to deal with, very pleased with everthing.
also have a 2nd scruggs in the works, about 3 months or so to go. i think my next one will be a cochran. those 2 guys are great deal with and talk to.

MBTaylor
04-28-2008, 11:28 AM
I have a Sly rosewood and tulipwood sneaky pete coming. Not much, but my first custom cue. Can't wait!!!!!!!!!

kvinbrwr
04-28-2008, 11:37 AM
Nice, I'm sure we are in the same batch... Be sure to shoot me a pm when you receive yours, or sooner...

Brandon

Next time I'm at Ernie's, explaining to him why my new Gina should have #1 Top Priority over everyone elses' cues, I'll snap a pic of yours in progress.

Kevin

branpureza
04-28-2008, 06:57 PM
Brandon

Next time I'm at Ernie's, explaining to him why my new Gina should have #1 Top Priority over everyone elses' cues, I'll snap a pic of yours in progress.

Kevin

ha, thanks man... i'd love that.

Fatboy
04-28-2008, 07:06 PM
I have a Sly rosewood and tulipwood sneaky pete coming. Not much, but my first custom cue. Can't wait!!!!!!!!!

any custom cue is a great cue, congrats. Its not a contest to see who has the best cue on order, dont play it down, hell I didnt know what a custom cue was until I played for about 1.5 years everyday, where I played they didnt exist and the internet wasnt invented by Al Gore yet so I didnt know any better, good for you!!!

Fatboy
04-28-2008, 07:13 PM
ha, thanks man... i'd love that.

i'll do it for $20 ;)

actually I wont be out that way for a while but if I do get there I wont forget to sak, I did last time and he didnt have anything to show me but he was busy and it was a while back. If I get there before you get it I'll get a cel phone pic for you, I'll be glad to, I have been sweating this out with you for along time.

Also a while back you posted some pics of that pool room you play in, your a great photographer, sometime you should start a thread again with those pics, with all the pool rooms dieing off it would be great to share the pics of a old school hardcore room, some players dont even know what that would look like. not that I have been around so long but over the 25 years I have been around I did see back in the 80's some awesome rooms that I wish I had pics of, I thought about taking pics but didnt-man do I regret that, even stupid snap shots would be better than nothing.

pooltableproCP
04-28-2008, 07:13 PM
I have a Troy Downey on order from last year. Due to me on 10/31 this year. Fair amount of ivory and plenty of inlays yet to come. Communication is practically day to day.

Chris

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa112/pooltablepro/Veneers1.jpg
http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa112/pooltablepro/Custom-sleeve.jpg

MBTaylor
04-29-2008, 08:56 AM
any custom cue is a great cue, congrats. Its not a contest to see who has the best cue on order, dont play it down, hell I didnt know what a custom cue was until I played for about 1.5 years everyday, where I played they didnt exist and the internet wasnt invented by Al Gore yet so I didnt know any better, good for you!!!

You are right.

I meant not much, as in pretty simple.

Hell, for a while I didn't even like points. Now all I do is sit and look at all the pretty pictures in the gallery and the for sale area wishing :( I had about 2,000 available to spend....lol

James
04-29-2008, 09:32 AM

Jim Lee of J&D Customs
1 Month
3-4 Months
The experience has been extremely positive. I'm not usually one to be over-zealous about someone else, but read this thread (http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=97358) for how I really feel!

Communication has been great. This is the first of my three cues that I'm really looking forward to because I'm enjoying the wait.

8-ball Rat
04-29-2008, 10:04 AM
I've got a four on order...

1. Dennis Searing. He's been great to deal with, has answered my questions when he was available to do so, and I'll be a VERY happy camper by summer/fall timeframe!!!! :) :) :) I got to take a day and visit him when I was in Florida last summer. He even offered to let me pick out my own woods for my cue. I was expecting a 1 hour pow-wow with him on that Saturday...and it turned into a 7 hour visit. That man LOVES to talk about pool and cues!!!

2. Steve Klein. Ordered a 2nd cue from him before my first was all the way completed. Steve's been great, and puts together one hell of a great cue. Super nice guy, and I should have my 2nd cue from him around Valley Forge time next year.

3. Masonh. Got on his list in March. Looking at around a year, give or take. Again...very easy to talk to....and he's gonna do something special for me. Should see it sometime next year (right, Mason??? ;) )

4. Joel Hercek. I spoke to Joel a couple years ago, and we got along well. He agreed to take me on as a customer...with the understanding that I was going to the back of the line. I told him I was fine with that, as long as the end result would be a Hercek piloted SS joint cue. He said, "consider it done, Mark." I may be waiting another year....or 5 more years. Regardless, it'll be worth it.

Ktown D
04-29-2008, 12:03 PM
I am having Steve Lomax build me Dufferin house cue conversion sneaky that should be here sometime around the first of next week. Steve does top notch work as most of you know that have seen him in the Blackburn booth at many tournaments around the country. My cue will be 60" with black and silver accent rings at the joint and the butt. The blank is an ebony dufferin with the single white butterfly veneer.

For a basic 400.00 cue these come with quite a bit of dressup and they play lights out. Steve is a member here, his username is stevel if anyone wants to contact him about a cue. He also makes the best pure jump cue I have ever tried. Shannon Daulton uses one (mine now) and has a new one on the way.

Anyone looking for a great playing cue without breaking the bank or that may need some top notch cue mechanic work should get in touch with Steve.

gajga
04-29-2008, 12:25 PM
I'm waiting on a sneaky from Josey.

I was quoted an approximate waiting time of 3 months. It'll be 3 months as of tomorrow. I can't wait.

Cue Freak
04-29-2008, 12:29 PM
I've got one on order from Bryan Mordt. Ordered back in January, he said it would take around 6 Months. Communication has been great! Can't wait to get it!

Matt

DJKeys
04-29-2008, 12:52 PM
1. Hercek-I am about two years out, ordered from him when the wait was six years. Always answers my emails. No Deposit.
2. Zylr-I had a bunch of questions about a cue of his I bought, he spent an hour talking with me on the phone. About a year gone from a three year wait, Deposit $300.
3. Howard-I ordered a very unique cue from Rick in January of 2007. It has taken him longer than he expected, but it will be well worth waiting for. He answers all my emails and I have talked to him a couple of times on the phone. Deposit $300
4. Mason-Got on his list a few months back, great communication. I bought one of his first batch cues, a full-splice conversion from Jazz. I asked if he would make me one of his own and we picked out the wood and style. Great guy, I will get it when I get it, no deposit.

Dawgie
04-29-2008, 01:59 PM
Who here has a cue in the works or is waiting for one to be completed?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Can't say right now b/c I am still waiting for the cue.
2. I have waited since Nov. 07
3. I don't know but some other ppl have rec'vd their cues since then
4. I am not particularly impressed.
5. Communication is spotty and not what I had expected.

Panhdlce
04-29-2008, 02:05 PM
-R-
My money is slower than he builds
Ahead of schedule
Answers any and all questions promptly

HIRUN526
04-29-2008, 04:59 PM
Let's see...cues on order:

Dennis Searing
Barry Szamboti
Bob Manzino
John Showman
Joel Hercek
South West
Ron Haley

jimmycue
04-29-2008, 06:15 PM

I'll go 1st...

Joel Hercek
Me and the better half are getting one for our 20th aniv. next year,
thanks Joel.

Bob Frey
Sending in order for a custom Bob Frey cue this week, maybe a sneaky to match also.

Mike Pancerny
Mike is going to build me full splice cue from a John Davis blank as soon as i can decide what to order from Mr Davis.
If you live near Detroit you should ck out Mike Pancerny cues. He builds a great stick.

akaTrigger
04-30-2008, 12:12 PM
I have a Jim Buss on order. :) He's been GREAT to work with and communicates often. He can make a cue in about 4 months or so, but mine is taking longer because I keep making changes. :eek:

-Melinda

<you can read the entire story here (http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=91847) about my first design and now the second>

The King
04-30-2008, 07:42 PM
Hmmmm... I wanted more then one cue and I don't really have or want to put out the the money for a Black Boar or Searing and some of these guys don't always want to build the cue the way you want it to look.. ....So I chose to diversify and I looked around for guys that I thought would work with me to build the cue I wanted ... At a reasonable price and do a quality job ... And I have had a very good experience in going this route....

My first cue went to Doug Patrick ... I have been on the phone with him more then any of the others. We have built a pretty good relationship and he is building the cue the way I want it and how I want it at a very reasonable price... His communications are excellent we have have built a trust between each other and I would recommend him to anyone ...He requested a small deposit and it was paid ... the wait time is about 4 months so I still have a couple months to go to wait on the cue ...

My second cue went to Brent Hartman (BHQ) ... I wanted a good J.B. cue and heard Brent builds a very good one .... So I wrote him and the first thing he asked me is if I was willing to wait a year ... I told him yes and it has been a pleasure ever since ... I'm in no hurry if it takes a year he told me up front and I have no problem with that anything sooner is a bonus... He gave me what I thought was a very very cheap price for the quality of work I heard he does... And he is one of the funniest guys I have ever been in contact with he cracks me up ...

I later thought I would order another custom and had heard alot about Jimmy Lee and J&D cues ... I pm'd him and he sent me his phone number ... I called and we talked for a couple hours ... I'm not sure I have met a nicer guy on the net ... His prices are very reasonable and he bends over backwards to give me what I want ... I told him what I was thinking and he sent pics of what I wanted he also sent me pics of other woods and colors he thought would look good or I had not seen before... He has been awesome to deal with and is always in contact with me in fact a message box from him just popped up as I started to post this. Jimmy Lee is the best kept secret on this forum I'm not sure there is a cue maker on here that offers as good of customer realtions as Jimmy does. And I hear his quality is right up there too... He has become my favorite on here I'm really enjoying dealing with him and know I will deal with him again in the future. To me he is the best I could not be happier with him...

I have also ordered a cue from Joe Baker ... He has been great too in fact he called me today to let me know my cue is finished and he will be posting it in the cue gallery tonight. He has been right on time with everything just as he said he would do. He is very serious about his cues and a family man ... He has excellent communication lines and is kind and courtious ....The cue is a recut cue with camel bone inlays ... I can't wait to see the finished product I would recommend Joe to anyone ...

Last but not least Jeff Eason is building a 8 pointer for me ... Cocobollo forearm ... Holly points and ebony butt sleeve with ring work ... Leather wrap and two shafts... I paid Jeff almost all his money up front and the cue is coming along pretty quick even though he has most of his money. I already have a Sneaky Pete Jeff made me and it is awesome player it surprised me with how well it shoots ... All my friends that use it love it ... Jeff and I are friends we both live here in the same town ... I call Jeff my go to guy anything I need done pool related I call Jeff and he usually gets to it within 24 hrs... I would be lost without him...

No I'm not getting a Searing or Black Boar ... No Szamboti or Richard Black not even a Balabushka for me ... But I'm getting a great experience from these 5 guys and some great cues and I would not trade this for any of the famous cues I just named ... In my book these 5 guys are tops with me and I thank each of them for the what they are doing for me ...

Thank you ...

HIRUN526
05-01-2008, 04:49 AM
WOW!!!

You have great taste and apparently unlimited funds :eek:

Congrats to you

I feel I should do my fair share to help keep the economy rolling.:)

ScottR
05-01-2008, 06:58 AM
I feel I should do my fair share to help keep the economy rolling.:)
I nominate HIRUN526 for Fed Chairman! :D

uwate
05-01-2008, 07:25 AM
1. Searing...2 cues, one is a titlist conversion, one is a classic styled open to his discretion cue. no comment on how long or how much is up. lets just say my case is unusual.
2. Showman...titlist conversion. Spoke with John earlier in jan. Its been about 2 years or maybe 3 but in the last 6 months the wait has mostly been on my end trying to decide what kind of titlist to make. John and I speak about the cue whenever I want to discuss.
3. Ted Harris...been about a year. no rush, i just wanted to give Teddy some business, so I'm ready when he is. I speak to him regularly.

catscradle
05-01-2008, 07:31 AM
I visit his house every night. He is like a plumber with time to work on everyone else's plumbing but his own. Even my personal jump cue butt is sitting in my wood rack unfinished. I turned it most of the way down six months ago and haven't touched it since. The cue maker in question is me!

Hu
Ha-ha. Reminds me of when I was a kid. My father owned a wholesale meat company. What did we eat? What wasn't selling.

HIRUN526
05-01-2008, 07:46 AM
I nominate HIRUN526 for Fed Chairman! :D

I will accept the position as Fed Chairman providing I'm provided with an American Express Black Card to use solely at my discretion.

Thank you for the nomination.....you have chosen well my son.