PDA

View Full Version : Smokey Mt Shoot Out

stick8
04-26-2008, 08:24 PM
Would like some info on the tourny at waynesville n. c. if anyone has anything. stick

Mike Templeton
04-26-2008, 09:33 PM
Would like some info on the tourny at waynesville n. c. if anyone has anything. stick
Hey Stick,

I just got back to the room from a long day here in Waynesville.

It was the same as always. 128 players. Many on the waiting list. The usual suspects are here. Shannon, Hennessee, Nevel, Jesse Middlebrook, Brian White, Tony Watson, Russ Edwards, Scott Rabon, and a host of other champions.

It was a long day, and I don't have all the results. The only upsets so far that I know are Jesse M, who lost the first round, but is still hanging in.

I went by the poolroom in town after I left the fairgrounds but there was no action there by then except a $40 a man ring game that was going on. Tony Watson and others were there, though, so I expect the action to heat up a little later.

Mike

I'll make some notes tomorrow and try to post tomorrow night or Monday am on the results.

Matt90
04-26-2008, 10:32 PM
What time does it start back up sunday ?

Southpaw
04-26-2008, 11:48 PM
GO B WIZZLE....A REPEAT WOULD BE AWESOME!!!!!

Southpaw

stick8
04-27-2008, 08:20 AM
Hey Stick,

I just got back to the room from a long day here in Waynesville.

It was the same as always. 128 players. Many on the waiting list. The usual suspects are here. Shannon, Hennessee, Nevel, Jesse Middlebrook, Brian White, Tony Watson, Russ Edwards, Scott Rabon, and a host of other champions.

It was a long day, and I don't have all the results. The only upsets so far that I know are Jesse M, who lost the first round, but is still hanging in.

I went by the poolroom in town after I left the fairgrounds but there was no action there by then except a $40 a man ring game that was going on. Tony Watson and others were there, though, so I expect the action to heat up a little later.

Mike

I'll make some notes tomorrow and try to post tomorrow night or Monday am on the results.
Thanks mike, i know jesse is there because his truck is parked in front of my room!! yea sounds like same old bunch. is stevie there?? and who is your pick t win?? thanks again STICK:D :D

mr8ball
04-27-2008, 09:16 AM
I use to go to this tournament all the time. I loved it until they started letting all of the pros play. Although i am an A player in our area it another world when you go up against all of them top players. Before long it will be a just another pro tournament. I mean lets face it with the top players they have in it you are only playing to come in 10th or so if you get that far. For the past few years it had ben Brian White, Shannon Dalton, Tony Watson and Scott Rabon who has won it. Anyway it is a great thing they do there and i try to support it when i can. Best of luck to all

poolcuemaster
04-27-2008, 10:31 AM
Hey Stick8 Stevie was in Arizona dust off this week and going on to Vegas I think--Leonard

stick8
04-27-2008, 10:58 AM
I use to go to this tournament all the time. I loved it until they started letting all of the pros play. Although i am an A player in our area it another world when you go up against all of them top players. Before long it will be a just another pro tournament. I mean lets face it with the top players they have in it you are only playing to come in 10th or so if you get that far. For the past few years it had ben Brian White, Shannon Dalton, Tony Watson and Scott Rabon who has won it. Anyway it is a great thing they do there and i try to support it when i can. Best of luck to all
mr8ball; I agree with you as it is hard for a shortstopor mid-leval player to find a competive tourny. i think mike with viking tries to but it is hard to make some decissions on who and who cant. I dont want to make that choose!!! but i do run a rated tourny at my room every sunday and we have a great time ,worked for the last 10 yr--as of dec16 my christmas party for my players i had 62 players, finished 5.30 mon morning winner 800 bucks not had under 32 players sence. we have a great time!!!!if your closer , come play!!OLD MAN STICK:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

mr8ball
04-27-2008, 12:26 PM
Thanks for the invite. Where might you be located? I live in Va and Maybe i can get your way oneday. I dont mind playing with the big boys because i know if i am on i have a shot myself. With my back i never know when i am on or not (LOL) I still enjoy the game and wanted to go to this tournament but just didnt get in in time. O well maybe next year. I would like to try some of Mikes tournaments. One of my friends went and won the open div. that he has and i play right there with him now so maybe soon. I am in therpy with my back so hopefully i can get out soon if gas ever lets up. Anyway thanks again, Doug

mr8ball; I agree with you as it is hard for a shortstopor mid-leval player to find a competive tourny. i think mike with viking tries to but it is hard to make some decissions on who and who cant. I dont want to make that choose!!! but i do run a rated tourny at my room every sunday and we have a great time ,worked for the last 10 yr--as of dec16 my christmas party for my players i had 62 players, finished 5.30 mon morning winner 800 bucks not had under 32 players sence. we have a great time!!!!if your closer , come play!!OLD MAN STICK:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

corvette1340
04-27-2008, 12:50 PM
I talked to B Whizzle late night night and he was one of the last 8 left on the winners side coming back for Sunday play.

stick8
04-28-2008, 03:27 AM
I talked to B Whizzle late night night and he was one of the last 8 left on the winners side coming back for Sunday play.
heard through the vine that[cannon] won hill hill match with larry n :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Mike Templeton
04-28-2008, 05:52 AM
It was a great tournament this year just like years past. I agree that with many more champions playing, and the payouts being so top heavy, aht the tournament is not the same as it was the first 12 or 15 years. It is a charity event, and I don't know why they make it so lucrative to the champions when it was regular folks that built it to what it is. But you can't blame the champions for coming up either. It's a fun tournament with great payouts. I just wish they paid a little deeper than 13-16 with 128 great players.

This year, it seemed that the champions were all in sepatate brackets, so the real interesting matches didn't take place until Sunday. There was great pool, great food, and it was fun to see alot of friends that I only see once a year.

Congratulations to Shannon for taking it off.

And a special thanks to Ktown for the beer after I lost that last match. I needed it :) .

Mike

ScottW
04-28-2008, 06:32 AM
Any linkage to results?

A fairly new pal of mine is a wheelchair-playin' fellow, and went up there for the wheelchair event - says he took 2nd last year and was hoping to do better this year.

Mike Templeton
04-28-2008, 06:51 AM
Any linkage to results?

A fairly new pal of mine is a wheelchair-playin' fellow, and went up there for the wheelchair event - says he took 2nd last year and was hoping to do better this year.
I know that Charlie Hans won the event. I didn't recognize the guy who finished 2nd and don't remember his name. He had grey hair and a grey beard. Third was a guy who had a shirt on that said something about paralized veterans.

ScottW
04-28-2008, 07:13 AM
I know that Charlie Hans won the event. I didn't recognize the guy who finished 2nd and don't remember his name. He had grey hair and a grey beard. Third was a guy who had a shirt on that said something about paralized veterans.

My pal is a black guy with a shaved/nearly shaved head. Doesn't sound like any of those guys. Poor Mark. :(

I'll probably see him tonight - guess I'll buy him a consolation beer.

When I saw him last week, he wanted to play a bit for cash (well, bar cash - it's what this one little banger tournament pays out, whee), as he wanted a bit of pressure as far as prepping for this tournament... maybe I shouldn't have whipped him :(

Ktown D
04-28-2008, 07:24 AM
One of the guys made the final 16 in the open tournament. I think it was the guy that got third in the wheelchair comp. He played really well Saturday night getting back to back wins over Trav Dorn and then Jeff Abernathy before getting put out by Russ Edwards on Sunday. If you don't know....Trav and Jeff both play very well on a barbox. Jeff is a former champion at SMS and Trav has placed high in the recent past as well.

I think the guy was from Wisconsin but I can't remember his name.

corvette1340
04-28-2008, 07:25 AM
My pal is a black guy with a shaved/nearly shaved head. Doesn't sound like any of those guys. Poor Mark. :(

When I saw him last week, he wanted to play a bit for cash (well, bar cash - it's what this one little banger tournament pays out, whee), as he wanted a bit of pressure as far as prepping for this tournament... maybe I shouldn't have whipped him :(

way to go Scott. Its all your fault that he didn't wheel home the cash. :D

Mike Templeton
04-28-2008, 07:38 AM

I have seen Mark there in the past, and when I watched, he did play very well last year ( But I mostly watched Hydred Makabeli play last year ;) :) ). I made it to watch the final 4 this year, and didn't see him play. Tell him like Ktown and I heard on Sunday, "Better luck next year" :) .

Mike