PDA

View Full Version : Looking for information about my grandmother, Grace Medina

Milo
04-26-2008, 08:53 PM
Wonder if anyone would remember a female player in the Los Angeles area in the 1970s. Her name was Grace Medina. She was my gramdmother. She would of been in her late 50s, early 6os at that time. I was just a baby back then. My dad told me alot about her poolplaying days. She went out to weekly tournaments after she retired. She played her whole life, she was mostly a straight pool player. If anyone remembers her, I love to hear about her.
Thanks

JAM
04-27-2008, 02:35 AM
If you can, ask your dad which pool rooms your grandmother used to play in. I have a good friend from Los Angeles area who may know her. Let me know.

JAM

vagabond
04-27-2008, 08:27 AM
Wonder if anyone would remember a female player in the Los Angeles area in the 1970s. Her name was Grace Medina. She was my gramdmother. She would of been in her late 50s, early 6os at that time. I was just a baby back then. My dad told me alot about her poolplaying days. She went out to weekly tournaments after she retired. She played her whole life, she was mostly a straight pool player. If anyone remembers her, I love to hear about her.
Thanks

One of the very few people who knows about the players from the remote past is Jay Helfert AKA 'LA Slim'.I have utmost confidence in him and he will be able to get some info.To keep this thread alive I posted this message.:cool:

JoeyA
04-27-2008, 10:05 AM
Milo, the question just has to be asked....

Would your grandmother have been related to Danny Medina, the pool player?

JoeyA

secretsquirrel
04-27-2008, 10:09 AM
Thank you all for your response. I will check with my dad if he knows any specific places she would of played at.
I dont think any relation to Danny. Its possible but I dont think so. I will check with my dad.

DeadPoked
04-27-2008, 10:14 AM
Thank you all for your response. I will check with my dad if he knows any specific places she would of played at.
I dont think any relation to Danny. Its possible but I dont think so. I will check with my dad.

Hmm... Milo... Secret Squirrell... Freudian slip if I ever saw one.

Craig Fales
04-27-2008, 10:19 AM
Hmm... Milo... Secret Squirrell... Freudian slip if I ever saw one.
LOLz...I had a WTF moment there for a second.

secretsquirrel
04-27-2008, 10:35 AM
LOL

Sorry guys. Milo is my name. SS is my husband. I accidentally responded to the posts when my hubby was logged in. LOL

My name is Andrea Saenz Maes. I am a female player in washington state.
Thank you all for the help with info about my grandmother.

Take Care

DeadPoked
04-27-2008, 10:47 AM
LOL

Sorry guys. Milo is my name. SS is my husband. I accidentally responded to the posts when my hubby was logged in. LOL

My name is Andrea Saenz Maes. I am a female player in washington state.
Thank you all for the help with info about my grandmother.

Take Care

:D Goodluck with finding info on your Grandmother.

Milo
04-27-2008, 11:48 AM
ok, just talked to my dad. His memory and info. is very limited. Here is what he told me.
My grandmother started playing pool when she was 11 yrs old in 1925. Her father, Sam Wozumi, owned a pool hall in Santa Barbara in the late 20s early 30s. He lost the pool room during the depression in the 30s. She continued to play on and off her entire life. When she retired from Max factor in the early 70s, she started playing pool more. My dad told me she played at a place in Torrance and a place in Gardena. He doesnt remember the names of the establishments.
From around 1937 to 1945 she went by Grace Saenz. She remarried in 1949 and was known as Grace Medina until she passed away in 1984.
I hope this info. helps.
Again, thank you for your help.
Andrea

DeadPoked
04-27-2008, 12:01 PM
ok, just talked to my dad. His memory and info. is very limited. Here is what he told me.
My grandmother started playing pool when she was 11 yrs old in 1925. Her father, Sam Wozumi, owned a pool hall in Santa Barbara in the late 20s early 30s. He lost the pool room during the depression in the 30s. She continued to play on and off her entire life. When she retired from Max factor in the early 70s, she started playing pool more. My dad told me she played at a place in Torrance and a place in Gardena. He doesnt remember the names of the establishments.
From around 1937 to 1945 she went by Grace Saenz. She remarried in 1949 and was known as Grace Medina until she passed away in 1984.
I hope this info. helps.
Andrea

Looks like the apple doesn't fall far from the tree. It's cool to see that the passion for pool is being passed down thru the generations. Especially between a Grandmother and Granddaughter. That's even more unusual.

!Smorgass Bored
04-27-2008, 12:18 PM
I hope this info. helps.
Andrea

I'm being serious when I ask if she was ever called Amazing Grace.
Doug

JoeyA
04-27-2008, 12:28 PM
I hope this info. helps.
Andrea

Andrea,
You should contact one of our unique, senior members, Hal Houle (it rhymes with pool). YOu can contact him via his PM or post a thread labeled Hal Houle. Hal doesn't read every post but he will surely respond if you put " aiming" in the thread title. :)

Hal has been around for quite some time and knows many things about pool and the pool's past as he was a friend to Ralph Greenleaf.

Hal is still sharp and remembers much of pool's past, at least as much as he was associated with it. He's a nice guy and welcomes phone calls to his home but I do not have his telephone number.

You never know.....

Good luck.

JoeyA

Milo
04-27-2008, 12:33 PM
I have a call in for my dad. Not sure if she had a tag name. Did you hear of a female player called amazing grace?? Wouldnt that be cool if that was her. Be back later with more info. from him.

Thanks,
Andrea

Milo
04-27-2008, 12:37 PM
Joey, thanks for the info. I will check it out.

Andrea

Ltldebbie
04-27-2008, 12:40 PM
I'm being serious when I ask if she was ever called Amazing Grace.
Doug

Lots of great women players in the LA area. That's where Robin Bell started and many others. I remember a Pool League that my team got barred from in Orange county. We payed twenty bucks a night back in the 70's. Its was a couples league. After mid season there wasn't a team that could catch up. yes, We did have a few champions on our team but the biggest complaint that I heard was, "It's not fair. even the girls can break and run out."

It was called the Love Boat League because at years end the team that wins got a trip on the "Love Boat" Everybody else could go but had to pay. Any way we were all flakes and I never went on the trip. I can't remeber if they barred us before the cruise or after.

Oh to remember but back to your question. I saw a few latino women players but not many. Because most of her life she was known as Grace Medina does that mean she was hispanic or did she marry into the name? I need to know to make sure she's the right one I remember. There was the Billiard Palace & the Stagger Inn. And another great place that had a Steak Grill in the second room. You could play pool and make your own steak. Am I stirring any memories for you pool players that were there yet?????

!Smorgass Bored
04-27-2008, 12:54 PM
I have a call in for my dad. Not sure if she had a tag name. Did you hear of a female player called amazing grace?? Wouldnt that be cool if that was her. Be back later with more info. from him.

Thanks,
Andrea

I didn't know her, but I think I read of someone on a pool forum mentioning an Amazing Grace. You might register here http://onepocket.org/forum/index.php and ask there among pool's moldy oldies. They have a GREAT memory of the players and names from that era in California. Good luck.
Doug

Milo
04-27-2008, 01:07 PM
My grandmother was mostly japanese, but she was part hispanic too.
She was about 5'6". about 150 lb. In her 50s and 60s in the 1970s.
Pretty woman. I hope its the lady you remember.

Thank you for all your help,
Andrea

Let me know if you need anything else

Milo
04-27-2008, 01:19 PM
Thanks Doug, I will check it out

Andrea Saenz Maes

branpureza
04-27-2008, 01:30 PM

Andrea

You should try posting a picture of her if you have one... i don't know about you guys but I'm terrible with names... much better with faces.

Milo
04-27-2008, 02:00 PM
Thanks for the help. I have my dad looking for a pic. of her in that time period.

Andrea

!Smorgass Bored
04-27-2008, 02:17 PM
Is Grace Nakamura(sp) called Amazing Grace ?
Doug
( I still think the old timers and their many threads on '50s-'70s California players on www.onepocket.org is the best place for information. They have remarkable memories, considering their early lifestyles... imo )

Milo
04-27-2008, 07:14 PM
I just sent PMs to Mr. Houle and Mr Helfert. Hope they remember her!!!!
I greatly appreciate the help.

Sincerely,
Andrea Saenz Maes

junksecret
04-27-2008, 08:34 PM
I just sent PMs to Mr. Houle and Mr Helfert. Hope they remember her!!!!
I greatly appreciate the help.

Sincerely,
Andrea Saenz Maes

Jay might, if she played in Torrance in the 70's it was prob'ly at Mr. Lucky's and I think Jay was pretty familiar with that crowd back then.

Good luck in your search.....:)

Joe

Milo
05-11-2008, 11:44 AM
Just got in touch with Jay. He says he thinks he remembers her. He said it would be helpful if he could see a pic. Which I am trying to get.
Thanks Jay, for the help.

And thank you Doug for all your help too. I really appreciate it.

Andrea

jay helfert
05-11-2008, 07:05 PM
Just got in touch with Jay. He says he thinks he remembers her. He said it would be helpful if he could see a pic. Which I am trying to get.
Thanks Jay, for the help.

And thank you Doug for all your help too. I really appreciate it.

Andrea

Grace played out of the old Gardena Bowl. She would play for the time or maybe a few dollars. She was one of the regulars there for a while. I think she also went into Mr. Lucky's from time to time, and even the Mayfair Lounge, a hot bar spot in Lawndale.

I don't think she liked 9-Ball and definitely not One Pocket. She wanted to play 50-75 points of Straight Pool for $10 plus time. Not the kind of game I was looking for back then. I think she could run a rack or two, like 15-25 balls. Not bad for a lady back then. I don't recall her ever playing in any women's events. She may have played a little Eight Ball also. I only saw her a couple of times, so I barely remember her.

I remember her as a nicely dressed older woman, who got down good and had a nice straight stroke. But I was so focused on money games back then, I didn't pay much attention to anyone was not a candidate for a game. :)

!Smorgass Bored
06-05-2008, 07:21 AM

Andrea

Andrea,
I realize that it's been over a month since you inquired about your grandmother, but I haven't forgotten. I've been diligently working on getting to the bottom of this mystery.

Based on your description above, I believe that I may have a lead, please view this video and let me know what you think: http://www.metacafe.com/watch/456559/ms_swan_at_the_airport/

Doug
(I believe I'm on to something................or, maybe I'm ON something )

Ken_4fun
06-05-2008, 09:58 AM
Grace played out of the old Gardena Bowl. She would play for the time or maybe a few dollars. She was one of the regulars there for a while. I think she also went into Mr. Lucky's from time to time, and even the Mayfair Lounge, a hot bar spot in Lawndale.

I don't think she liked 9-Ball and definitely not One Pocket. She wanted to play 50-75 points of Straight Pool for $10 plus time. Not the kind of game I was looking for back then. I think she could run a rack or two, like 15-25 balls. Not bad for a lady back then. I don't recall her ever playing in any women's events. She may have played a little Eight Ball also. I only saw her a couple of times, so I barely remember her.

I remember her as a nicely dressed older woman, who got down good and had a nice straight stroke. But I was so focused on money games back then, I didn't pay much attention to anyone was not a candidate for a game. :)

Is there anyone that Jay doesnt know?:D

ken

Milo
06-05-2008, 10:09 AM
Andrea,
I realize that it's been over a month since you inquired about your grandmother, but I haven't forgotten. I've been diligently working on getting to the bottom of this mystery.

Based on your description above, I believe that I may have a lead, please view this video and let me know what you think: http://www.metacafe.com/watch/456559/ms_swan_at_the_airport/

Doug
(I believe I'm on to something................or, maybe I'm ON something )

Well, you may be. LOL But she is little too young. And since my grandmother died in 1988, I am almost certain it is not her. Stay on it. I have faith in you.

Andrea

Milo
06-05-2008, 10:19 AM

I think you do remember her because the one thing that stuck out to me on your description of her is "nicely dressed". She always dressed very well. When my dad was a little boy, he told me she would make him change into clean clothes when he came home for lunch.LOL Poor Kid!!!
And she wasnt a big gambler, but she like to put some money on the game.
And usually 14.1. So with all that said, I think the lady you remember was my grandmother.
Thanks for your response Jay. I appreciate the effort.

Take Care,
Andrea