PDA

View Full Version : Are you a Left Handed Pool Player

CocoboloCowboy
04-27-2008, 03:57 PM
I have been noticing there are a lot of Leftie Pool players.

What side, or hand is your strong side?

vin
04-27-2008, 04:46 PM
i am one of those left handed :)

Stewscue
04-27-2008, 04:47 PM
Me too
Carl

branpureza
04-27-2008, 04:52 PM
I'm left handed but I'm not sure what you mean by strong sided...

I play

pool left handed

golf right handed

bowl left handed

throw a frisbee right handed

throw a baseball left handed

wipe me arse right handed.

Flipmode
04-27-2008, 04:57 PM
Im right handed but I play pool left handed because my cousin taught me how to shoot when we were young and hes left handed.

Southpaw
04-27-2008, 05:13 PM
I am left handed, but I do play pool right handed. I play pretty decent left handed as well.

Southpaw

TXsouthpaw
04-27-2008, 05:24 PM
I shoot pool lefty, bowl lefty, write lefty, golf lefty, and bat lefty. Napolean bonaparte, Julius ceaser, and Alexander the great were all lefties.

Long live the lefty

TXsouthpaw
04-27-2008, 05:25 PM
So is the best golfer in the world NOT named tiger woods

cajunbarboxplyr
04-27-2008, 05:40 PM
Im right handed for everything else....... but I shoot lefty..... cant explain!

D_Lewis
04-27-2008, 05:56 PM
Im right handed for everything else....... but I shoot lefty..... cant explain!

Ditto!

I even shoot with the rake with my right hand, get that!

td873
04-27-2008, 05:58 PM
I am left handed, but I do play pool right handed. I play pretty decent left handed as well.

Southpaw
Same here.

-td

steveinflorida
04-27-2008, 06:28 PM
I play left handed, but, my left hand can't give my right hand the 8.

CocoboloCowboy
04-27-2008, 06:33 PM
Think many top players are Lefties like Scott “Freezer” Frost, Mike Siegel, and a couple of others.

easymoney1
04-27-2008, 06:34 PM
All you people who can do multiple things with both hands really amaze me, I cant brush my teeth left handed!

mr8ball
04-27-2008, 06:35 PM
Thanks to my stroketrainer i can play with either hand. I am better as a righty but am not afraid to shoot lefty if i have to. I have noticed that most lefty's seem to have better CB control. Go figure. My late best friend made his son a lefty just so he could be a good pool player and he is getting there. When i played ball i could bat either hand and that was a real good thing and it does help to be able to play pool either way also. (JMHO)

JimS
04-27-2008, 06:44 PM
I eat left handed and write right handed.

I play all sports right handed except pool and shooting long guns, hand guns I shoot right handed.

Tools I use either hand but I'll grap a wrench, hammer or saw with my left hand every time.

I'm right eye dominant.

I walk up stairs left foot first, put on pants left foot first, and put my left shoe on first.

CocoboloCowboy
04-27-2008, 06:46 PM
The only thing I do right handed is shoot a rifle, or shotgun.

mullyman
04-27-2008, 06:50 PM
Think many top players are Lefties like Scott “Freezer” Frost, Mike Siegel, and a couple of others.

Actually Mike Sigel is right handed in everything else. When he first started to play pool he thought right handed meant that you make a bridge with your right hand so that's how he learned to play. I always thought his form looked awkward and that explains it.

Bugs Rucker was a righty, had an accident and hurt his shoulder, I think it was his shoulder, and switched to left. His form is/was also extremely awkward looking.
MULLY
Didn't Bugs pass away a few years back?

CocoboloCowboy
04-27-2008, 06:55 PM
Actually Mike Sigel is right handed in everything else. When he first started to play pool he thought right handed meant that you make a bridge with your right hand so that's how he learned to play. I always thought his form looked awkward and that explains it.

Bugs Rucker was a righty, had an accident and hurt his shoulder, I think it was his shoulder, and switched to left. His form is/was also extremely awkward looking.
MULLY
Didn't Bugs pass away a few years back?

Bugs passed recently.

The King
04-27-2008, 07:37 PM
I do it all left handed .... I find it very hard to find a left handed pool cue ... Much like left handed golf clubs they are far and few between... You would think that seeing some of the best players are leftys these things would be easier to find... ;)

PoolBum
04-27-2008, 08:37 PM

I don't think the phenomenon of being right-handed but shooting pool left-handed is due to the fact that one is taught to play left-handed when young. I'm right-handed but I play pool left-handed and always have. Ever since I first picked up a cue I have just naturally played left-handed, and, like Sigel, I thought for a long time that I was playing right-handed. No one showed me how to play, I just naturally played left-handed from the start. I think the same is true of Sigel.

I think that unless someone is naturally ambidextrous that there is still a natural hand to play with, and for some reason for some right-handed people the natural hand to play with is the left hand. Sigel looks much more awkward shooting right-handed than he does left-handed.

stevea
04-28-2008, 05:37 AM
I write lefty and eat lefty and thats it. Everything else I do right handed, pool, bat, throw, kick, bowl...etc.

christyd
04-28-2008, 05:40 AM
Ditto!

I even shoot with the rake with my right hand, get that!

I do the exact same thing:D

Snapshot9
04-28-2008, 05:54 AM
but my Dad switched me when I was 3 from a lefty, so I still do some things left handed. I play cards left handed.

Njhustler1
04-28-2008, 05:56 AM
I'm ambidextrous, but pool is one of those left sided things I do.

axejunkie
04-28-2008, 06:21 AM
I'm right-handed in everything so nothing special, but to add to the topic, my brother is left-handed and throws left-handed but bats right-handed. IIRC, there are something like 30 players in the history of major league baseball like that. Rickey Henderson is probably the most prominent. That statistic blew me away, though I suppose lots of guys learn to switch hit at some point.

9 on the snap
04-28-2008, 06:30 AM
I can play either, but I pretty much stick to playing right handed now. It was too much of a hassel trying to find a decent left handed cue.:eek:

vgodley1
04-28-2008, 06:40 AM
I am left handed and do everything left handed except swing a golf club or a baseball bat. My wife is left handed, my kids are left handed, and even my dog, who is left legged when he does his business!

avmaster
04-28-2008, 07:26 AM
I play pool left handed, golf right handed, mouse my puter right handed, shoot (guns) with either hand, everything else I'm a lefty.......:)

Firecracker
04-28-2008, 07:44 AM
I shoot pool left handed, but use the bridge with my right. I am right eye dominant, so I hold the cue under my right eye while I am shooting. I am naturally right handed, but do most things with either hand.

James
04-28-2008, 08:55 AM
I'm left handed but I'm not sure what you mean by strong sided...

I play

pool left handed

golf right handed

bowl left handed

throw a frisbee right handed

throw a baseball left handed

wipe me arse right handed.

same for all... I play guitar right handed, swing a bat right handed, swing a racket left handed, play lacrosse both sides, write left handed...

Although I can do most of these things either side without much difficulty. I used to write right handed in class when I was bored. (Often)

Shortside K
04-28-2008, 10:02 PM
I have been noticing there are a lot of Leftie Pool players.

What side, or hand is your strong side?

I have been noticing there are a lot of Rightie Pool players.

(Do I have a point?................. No):confused:

Jude Rosenstock
04-28-2008, 10:29 PM
I think this illustrates the value of polls on azbilliards. Good work guys! We have just discovered where all the lefties went! They're playing pool!!!

mullyman
04-28-2008, 10:34 PM
I don't think the phenomenon of being right-handed but shooting pool left-handed is due to the fact that one is taught to play left-handed when young. I'm right-handed but I play pool left-handed and always have. Ever since I first picked up a cue I have just naturally played left-handed, and, like Sigel, I thought for a long time that I was playing right-handed. No one showed me how to play, I just naturally played left-handed from the start. I think the same is true of Sigel.

I think that unless someone is naturally ambidextrous that there is still a natural hand to play with, and for some reason for some right-handed people the natural hand to play with is the left hand. Sigel looks much more awkward shooting right-handed than he does left-handed.

Well, the story I relayed is one that Mike himself told once. He said that he's right handed but when he started to play pool he thought right handed meant using your right hand for your bridge.
MULLY

Zeek
04-28-2008, 10:45 PM
Lefty:

Write
Shoot pool
Eat
Kick
Jump

Righty:

Golf
Bowl
Throw
Arm wrestle
Swing a bat

Man I'm a mess

Vahmurka
04-29-2008, 05:21 AM
man the poll results are weird so far. Or right-handed players just don't bother to vote, because still right-handers are dominant anywhere, pool included. And currently it shows 42-27 in favor of southpaws!
But recently I notice more lefties playing pool than ever. Interesting.
btw not to discrimminate right-handed players, but I've read left-handed are more talented in regard to pool, meaning they are more creative and the game suits them better ;)

PoolBum
04-29-2008, 08:27 AM
Well, the story I relayed is one that Mike himself told once. He said that he's right handed but when he started to play pool he thought right handed meant using your right hand for your bridge.
MULLY

I thought the same thing, but I still naturally shoot pool left handed. You can tell with Mike that his natural coordination for shooting pool is in the left hand.

maldito
04-29-2008, 08:58 PM
Left handed pool player ,throw lefty ,left arm stronger, but I write righty - (my mother - God rest her soul taught me to write at an early age - later on she said I wanted to write lefty - but she corrected me - and that is why I'm a mal-content and a mal-adjusted)

When discussing right or left with others - I ask them to interlock their fingers as when you pray - and here is what I always observed - if the left thumb is over the right thumb they are left handed - and if the right thumb is over the left thumb then they are right handed.

maldito
04-29-2008, 09:10 PM
Ur right about the creativity - the late Sang Lee 3-cushion player was left handed and really creative - I understand that Blomdahl and some other Euro players studied tapes of him playing and on one 3-c tape I have of him playing Blomdahl is doing commentary and on a given position of the balls he stated that with Sang Lee you cannot predict what he would do.

branpureza
04-29-2008, 09:16 PM
When discussing right or left with others - I ask them to interlock their fingers as when you pray - and here is what I always observed - if the left thumb is over the right thumb they are left handed - and if the right thumb is over the left thumb then they are right handed.

I'm left handed and when I interlock my fingers my right thumb is always over my left. The other way feels very awkward to me... just unnatural.

johntaggz88
04-29-2008, 11:07 PM
Well hmm, I bowl righty, I write righty, I brush my teeth righty, and I play pool righty. Its almost impossible for me to play pool lefty now. I cant even get my fingers to form an open bridge correctly when I shoot lefty!

akaTrigger
04-30-2008, 12:02 PM
I am right handed, play pool left handed, and use a bridge right handed.

CaptiveBred
04-30-2008, 08:18 PM
Left handed players have an innate ability to play pool. Shot making more specifically... It makes me sick :)

BrandyWine
04-30-2008, 10:14 PM
I am right handed, my left thumb crosses the right. I too may be messed up. A gift my left handed mom gave me. Shooting lefty makes me concentrate more and makes me a better player for shooting right...keeps me focused and loose on the table. I constantly challenge myself.
James & Zeek are defiantly messed up. :).... If I did that I couldn't find my way to work. :)
Creativity does comes natural to some more than others. I have to agree, Michael is creative. Just look at what you are typing on, years worth of hard work for the greater "pool" good.

Hail Mary Shot
05-01-2008, 03:54 AM
the only thing that my right hand is good at is wiping my ass. :D

JimS
05-01-2008, 09:09 AM
the only thing that my right hand is good at is wiping my ass. :D

Well, using that as criteria to determine whether a person is either left or right handed, I guess that settles a question I've had for years. I must be a left handed person, as I have always suspected, that was taught to do stuff right handed. Leading, of course, to me being psychologically messed up, feeling unloved and unaccepted as I am as even the most basic of instincts was disapproved and I was made to do things in a most unnatural way. Woe,..... I say.. WOE (!), is me. :mad: ;)

powerlineman80
05-01-2008, 09:46 AM
I'm a Southpaw.

Jude Rosenstock
05-01-2008, 09:58 AM
If you're lefty and you know it clap your hands
[clap clap]
[clap clap]
If you're lefty and you know it then you know you're gonna suck it
[clap clap]