PDA

View Full Version : Searing Cues Wait List

luv1pocket
04-27-2008, 07:22 PM
Does anybody know what the wait time is right now for a Searing cue and if a deposit is required?

Thanks

Poolhalljunkie
04-27-2008, 07:54 PM
Last I heard he was not taking anymore orders.

poolhustler
04-27-2008, 11:45 PM
I just ordered one from him a couple of weeks ago.

He told me about 5 years.

Russ......

Big-Tattoo
04-28-2008, 03:26 AM
What was the deposit %?

No deposit yet,after he call you 25%
Ralf

kaznj
04-28-2008, 07:57 AM
I'm just a little curious. I have heard of people waiting years to get some cue makers cue. There are so many great makers out there today. Why would someone wait 5 years for a cue. If it is just because someone likes the feel of a certain maker's cue? There a retailers out there with cues make from just about every conceivable cue maker. Why not just one from one of these selles? I not saying you are wrong to wait, I'm just curious as to why.

JoeyInCali
04-28-2008, 08:01 AM
I'm just a little curious. I have heard of people waiting years to get some cue makers cue. There are so many great makers out there today. Why would someone wait 5 years for a cue. If it is just because someone likes the feel of a certain maker's cue? There a retailers out there with cues make from just about every conceivable cue maker. Why not just one from one of these selles? I not saying you are wrong to wait, I'm just curious as to why.
Because nobody builds em like Searing.

putt-putt44
04-28-2008, 11:13 AM
Dennis Searing Is The 8th Wonder Of The World !!!

ibuycues
04-28-2008, 03:42 PM

I have several cues, but my Searing is never going ANYWHERE. The design of the cue is superb, the execution of the cue is flawless, and the hit is something I cannot even describe. As I was sayin`, it ain`t goin` anywhere.

Will :) :) ;) :p :p :)

CocoboloCowboy
04-28-2008, 04:08 PM
Does this mean if I bought a Searing, had entered the Shootout last weekend in Phoenix, played only with my Searing, I would have won the Shootout in Phoenix.http://www.geocities.com/cocobolocowboy/rant.gif

Danktrees
04-28-2008, 04:23 PM
also, sometimes ppl are fine with waiting 5 years for a cue cuz they dont have moeny right now. like me, i'm on his list and dont mind waiting cuz i dont have the moeny right now anyways but i know i'll have it when my name comes up.

Johnnyt
04-28-2008, 04:27 PM
My friend builds two very highend sailboats a year and only has a two year waiting list. Johnnyt

1pRoscoe
04-28-2008, 04:45 PM
I have several cues, but my Searing is never going ANYWHERE. The design of the cue is superb, the execution of the cue is flawless, and the hit is something I cannot even describe. As I was sayin`, it ain`t goin` anywhere.

Will :) :) ;) :p :p :)
I think Will covered the main reasons..... ditto. :p

-Ross
will never be "Searing-less"

CocoboloCowboy
04-28-2008, 04:57 PM
Well according the the Arizona Billiards Info (our local pool rag) that did a pPlayer Profile on Scott Frost, aka The Freezer Playes with a "Falcon Butt with a custom Dale Teague Birdseye Maple Shaft".

Wonder if a Searing could improve his game. I bet not.http://www.geocities.com/cocobolocowboy/arff.gif

qbilder
04-28-2008, 05:31 PM
Talked to him the other day. He's a gentleman & is building cues for the right reasons, because he loves it & to promote the game the way he knows how. He's a solid A player, to say the least of his ability in play. He's beyond short stop. This gives him insight & knowledge that most other builders don't have. I mean, we all know how to play but Dennis has reached greatness, another league altogether. He's also very bright. He spoke with me about particulars that were nearly above my head, tough to grasp but very enlightening once I could wrap around the concepts. I feel I became a better builder just for speaking to the guy. I'm by no means a kiss ass, but i'm not afraid to give credit where it's due & this guy deserves the credit he's getting. When he's dead & gone & his friends reveal his secrets, he'll be unquestionably known as one of or maybe even the single greatest builder ever. I thought I was doing some cool stuff & making good advancments in cues. The guy's light years ahead of me. Speaking with him was humbling & refreshing & motivating. I'm gonna pay him a visit & learn a thing or two for sure. He reminds me of those really hot girls that don't know how hot they really are, a rare gem. So yeah, he's worth waiting for I think. But everybody has their priorities & sometimes a long wait isn't something they want to do. If you don't mind waiting, he's the one to go after.

poolhustler
04-28-2008, 06:41 PM
What was the deposit %?

No deposit until he gets closer to starting my cue and then we start talking details.

I want a Searing and prefer to have one built to my specs and my design.

Carmeli (fancy) & Carmeli J/B - 6-8 months

Prewitt (super fancy) - 2 years

Searing - 5 years

I will add a couple more and will enjoy getting a new cue about once a year!!

Russ......

StevenPWaldon
04-28-2008, 06:53 PM
I'm surprised Prewitt is only 2 years, based on the price he charges. I will say that his craftsmanship on very fine details (especially with metals) is incredible. One of the first Prewitts I saw was Oscar Dominguez's playing cue, which is absolutely stunning. So to kaznj: sometimes there's a cuemaker that can do something that very few (if any) can. So the wait is worth it. I think Prewitt is up there.

Beyond that, there's often a financial gain in the market. This may have changed in the past couple years, but until recently it was true. Southwest, for example, has a 9+ year wait list and doesn't require any money up front. If you're quoted a price today of $2000 (just an example), then in 2018 when you receive your cue it will most likely be worth more than you were originally quoted ($2K). So when the cue is ready and you pay for it, you can turn it right around and sell it for a profit. I know a friend who placed an order for two Southwests, and did just what I outlined with one of the cues. The profit he made on it allowed him to afford the other without spending any money. Not a bad deal. Just takes patience, and you can have a free Southwest!

No deposit until he gets closer to starting my cue and then we start talking details.

I want a Searing and prefer to have one built to my specs and my design.

Carmeli (fancy) & Carmeli J/B - 6-8 months

Prewitt (super fancy) - 2 years

Searing - 5 years

I will add a couple more and will enjoy getting a new cue about once a year!!

Russ......

Darth
04-28-2008, 07:26 PM
Does this mean if I bought a Searing, had entered the Shootout last weekend in Phoenix, played only with my Searing, I would have won the Shootout in Phoenix.http://www.geocities.com/cocobolocowboy/rant.gif Are you kidding!!!! All you would have to do is mail your Searing cue to the tournament director in Phoenix with your entry fee and he would send your Searing cue back to you with an envelope bulging with the first place cash.:p

LoGiC
04-28-2008, 07:40 PM
Searing certainly is the hottest maker right now. I heard he selects who can get on his wait list now- like if he thinks you are just a collector going to sell his cue, he won't build it for you. He only builds for players.

Can anyone closer to him confirm this? Thats someone I would like to have build a cue for me.

torqiet
04-28-2008, 07:51 PM
I have only owned and hit with 1 Searing before, but its something you will never forget ;) im glad i got my name down on his waiting list for my ultimate dream playing cue :D

JimmyRayK
04-28-2008, 07:51 PM
I have been around a lot of the top cuemakers and nobody is any more meticulous than Dennis Searing. He is a great person and a freakin' cue scientist. I think he's going to continuously push the envelope until the day he stops making cues. He is never satisfied.

As a cue nut myself, I will have to say that I am enamored to just sit and listen to Dennis and soak up his idealisms. Simply amazing.

Jimmy

Darth
04-28-2008, 07:54 PM
Searing certainly is the hottest maker right now. I heard he selects who can get on his wait list now- like if he thinks you are just a collector going to sell his cue, he won't build it for you. He only builds for players.

Can anyone closer to him confirm this? Thats someone I would like to have build a cue for me.A true collector would never sell their Searing cue. Just ask Hirun526 or TheMarsMan.

Snookered
04-28-2008, 08:01 PM
5 years?? I placed my order back in 2002 & Dennis said he will TRY to start my cue end of this year. Think we've gotta wait just a bit longer than that.

Snookered <=== a patient guy

UGOTDA7
04-28-2008, 08:33 PM
Searing cues are about as close to perfection as a cue can be.

poolhustler
04-28-2008, 10:40 PM
I heard that Dennis was around 7 year wait, until I called him. He prefers to weed out those who want to flip his cues. He definately wants to build cues for those who wish to keep them and enjoy them. He asked me that exact question!!

Russ....

powerlineman80
04-29-2008, 12:37 AM
I'm surprised Prewitt is only 2 years, based on the price he charges. I will say that his craftsmanship on very fine details (especially with metals) is incredible.

Prewitt makes some unreal looking cues. Wished I could afford one.

Searing is up there on my list as well. But that waiting list is too high for me.

uwate
04-29-2008, 04:02 AM
I always ask a buddy of mine to go back behind Dennis' shop whenever he makes the trip up to Wellington and check on how my maple sapling is coming along. Maybe piss on it some to give it H20.

In all seriousness, Dennis is a good guy and makes cues that even cuemakers drool over. My buddy tells me that Dennis is working on my cue and the forearm is hanging in his shop. one day....

pharaoh68
04-29-2008, 07:04 AM

Its actually pretty simple. And to explain, let me first start by correcting you.

There are a lot of GOOD cuemakers out there but very few GREATS. Guys like Dennis Searing, Joel Hercek, the South West shop, these are some of your GREATS. They make a top notch notch cue that you can expect two things from: one of a kind, damn-near perfect, precision craftsmanship, AND superior playability.

Compound that with the fact that the cue you order will be worth MORE than what you paid for it the second you get it home, and you can begin to see why so many people will wait 5 years, 8 years, 9 years, etc.

In the meantime, many people will go out and pick up a cue or two by one of the many GOOD cuemakers out there and play with their cues.

JoeyA
04-29-2008, 08:28 AM
Well according the the Arizona Billiards Info (our local pool rag) that did a pPlayer Profile on Scott Frost, aka The Freezer Playes with a "Falcon Butt with a custom Dale Teague Birdseye Maple Shaft".

Wonder if a Searing could improve his game. I bet not.http://www.geocities.com/cocobolocowboy/arff.gif

You know I've waited a pretty long time to make this post. I've watched your posts for quite some time so as not to make a hasty judgment but you are similar to Travis Trotter in the way you like to get in your "digs" on different professionals. When someone doesn't respond, you throw out another little dig. Originally, I thought some forum members were a little too stern with you and your posts but now I am not too certain.

just an observation more so than a judgment
joeya

stikapos
04-29-2008, 08:57 AM
Its actually pretty simple. And to explain, let me first start by correcting you.

There are a lot of GOOD cuemakers out there but very few GREATS. Guys like Dennis Searing, Joel Hercek, the South West shop, these are some of your GREATS. They make a top notch notch cue that you can expect two things from: one of a kind, damn-near perfect, precision craftsmanship, AND superior playability.

Compound that with the fact that the cue you order will be worth MORE than what you paid for it the second you get it home, and you can begin to see why so many people will wait 5 years, 8 years, 9 years, etc.

In the meantime, many people will go out and pick up a cue or two by one of the many GOOD cuemakers out there and play with their cues.
Boy, I hate doing the double quote thing, but here goes any with apologies in advance. We all know its the indian, not the arrow. Having said that, certainly, you will play how you play, regardless of stick used as long as it is of a certain grade or quality. However, that does not mean that cues do not differ in quality or hit, especially in the shaft department. Whether you can use an increase in quality or a certain hit is up to you. But it doesn't mean that a guy like Dennis Searing isn't making great cues. I don't think Doug Kershaw needed a Strad to play cajun, but Perlman sounds spectacular with one.

tim

CocoboloCowboy
04-29-2008, 03:51 PM
You know I've waited a pretty long time to make this post. I've watched your posts for quite some time so as not to make a hasty judgment but you are similar to Travis Trotter in the way you like to get in your "digs" on different professionals. When someone doesn't respond, you throw out another little dig. Originally, I thought some forum members were a little too stern with you and your posts but now I am not too certain.

just an observation more so than a judgment
joeya

Well I think you missed my point, and that is a great Cue is not going to make you, or me an Efrin, Earl, Scott, or Johnny. I think there is a misconception that if you wait X YEARs for a Southwest, Searing, or XYZ Cue your game will become scores better. I think not.

My point about what Scott Frost uses was in the May Issue of Arizona Billiard Info Profile on Scott. Think Scott could still be Scott with a House Cue, and some Sandpaper to share the tip.

I have a Southwest I am waiting for it should be delivered in maybe 2012, 20014, but I know 110% for sure the Southwest Cue will play only as good as the player hand it is in.

Give me a set of Oil Pint, and I will still paint CRAP worth Zip for one of my originals, give it to Thomas Kincade and someone will bid $100,000.00 for an Original Kincade Oil. Same Paint, different Painter. :D

P.S. I do play maybe 10-20% better with my Cue that I am use to playing with, verses a House Cue that is unfamiliar to me.

JoeyInCali
04-29-2008, 03:57 PM
Well I think you missed my point, and that is a great Cue is not going to make you, or me an Efrin, Earl, Scott, or Johnny. I think there is a misconception that if you wait X YEARs for a Southwest, Searing, or XYZ Cue your game will become scores better. I think not.

My point about what Scott Frost uses was in the May Issue of Arizona Billiard Info Profile on Scott. Think Scott could still be Scott with a House Cue, and some Sandpaper to share the tip.

I have a Southwest I am waiting for it should be delivered in maybe 2012, 20014, but I know 110% for sure the Southweast Cue will play only as good as the player hand it is in.

Give me a set of Oil Pint, and I will still paint CRAP worth Zip for one of my originals, give it to Thomas Kincade and someone will bid $100,000.00 for an Original Kincade Oil. Same Paint, different Painter.

:D
Scott wouldn't be able to shoot at near his level with a house cue.
His shaft is so thin and has a long taper, he'd be really be pizzed with a conical tapered house cue. He told us he has sanded his shaft down to 11.5 mm .
Nobody told nothing about their game with a Searing, Bruce. You concocted it and argued over it.

CocoboloCowboy
04-29-2008, 04:00 PM
Scott wouldn't be able to shoot at near his level with a house cue.
His shaft is so thin and has a long taper, he'd be really be pizzed with a conical tapered house cue. He told us he has sanded his shaft down to 11.5 mm .

My point is Scoot would still be better than 80% or more of the Player with a House Stick, as Great Players adapt to equiptment changes almost faster than lightning.:)

Danktrees
04-29-2008, 04:02 PM
i dont think anyone said a searing would make u play like efren. that is a stupid argument. what people are saying is that it will allow u to play better. u bring up guys like scott frost, efren etc. but what u fail to note is that while they can easily use a house cue and play lights out, there's also a reason why they dont. since that is the case, i'd be more than happy to wait a few years before dennis gets started on my cue. even if it doesnt make me substantially better...it cant hurt. there's no chance of it making me a worse player so why wouldnt i want to use one?

CocoboloCowboy
04-29-2008, 04:06 PM
Nobody told nothing about their game with a Searing, Bruce. You concocted it and argued over it.

I made an observation about a article in pint on Scott's Cue that I found interesting.

Frost, aka The Freezer Plays with a "Falcon Butt with a custom Dale Teague Birdseye Maple Shaft"

I also know if I played with a, "Falcon Butt with a custom Dale Teague Birdseye Maple Shaft" I would not play at Scott's level.

CocoboloCowboy
04-29-2008, 04:08 PM
it cant hurt. there's no chance of it making me a worse player so why wouldnt i want to use one?

I let you answer that question, as I am no mind reader.

Danktrees
04-29-2008, 04:09 PM
u dont have to be a mind reader...the answer was already implied.

HIRUN526
04-29-2008, 04:46 PM
Wierd thing about a wait list....it's a drag waiting and at the same time the excitement grows with each and every passing day in the anticipation of the day the cue arrives.

You feel like waiting for a cue that's cool and if you don't that's cool. When I find something special that I really want to have and if I have to wait to get it that's ok.

I personally don't think that making a negative or implied negative
remark(s) about a cuemaker that has a great reputation is necessary. Then again that's me and how I think and live my life....we all choose the path we follow. I try to see the good in others and usually if I think of something negative to say I just let pass and find something more positve.

There are some great cuemakers out there and I am happy to be on their wait lists.......anticipation.

As far as Dennis Searing and waiting for a cue sign me up.....oh....I'm already on the list...heck put me on again and again and.........

James
04-29-2008, 04:51 PM
I made an observation about a article in pint on Scott's Cue that I found interesting.

Frost, aka The Freezer Plays with a "Falcon Butt with a custom Dale Teague Birdseye Maple Shaft"

I also know if I played with a, "Falcon Butt with a custom Dale Teague Birdseye Maple Shaft" I would not play at Scott's level.

Why do you exist?

Darth
04-29-2008, 05:36 PM
I owned my first Searing cues ( the first matching jump/break, playing cue combo made by Dennis) from 2003 until I was forced to sell them here on AZ last year because of financial problems. I've been playing for over 40 years and have played at an A level when in my 20's. I play well enough today to understand what 'feedback' feels like when striking a cue ball with a cue stick and a good Moori Quick tip. Dennis' cues have the most perfect 'feedback' I have ever felt in all the years I've been playing. When you hold his cue with a very light grip pressure and accelerate through the cue ball with authority, there is a very 'crisp' feel that is hard to describe. You just know that the cue ball is going to do what you want, when you want. Dennis builds the 'hit' into his cue before he thinks about the eye candy inlays. Rest assured that every cue he builds, from a plain Merry Widow to a lights out $100,000.00 collectors masterpiece will be a 'player' without a doubt. Playing pool at a high level takes so much thinking and concentration. You need to focus so much on every detail of your game that any distraction can be devastating. Having a quality cue in your hand that you 'trust' eliminates a distraction that takes your focus off your shot. I firmly believe that my game won't progress to that high level again until I get another Searing in my hands. That's just my opinion my friends.

TheMarsMan
04-29-2008, 07:19 PM
I owned my first Searing cues ( the first matching jump/break, playing cue combo made by Dennis) from 2003 until I was forced to sell them here on AZ last year because of financial problems. I've been playing for over 40 years and have played at an A level when in my 20's. I play well enough today to understand what 'feedback' feels like when striking a cue ball with a cue stick and a good Moori Quick tip. Dennis' cues have the most perfect 'feedback' I have ever felt in all the years I've been playing. When you hold his cue with a very light grip pressure and accelerate through the cue ball with authority, there is a very 'crisp' feel that is hard to describe. You just know that the cue ball is going to do what you want, when you want. Dennis builds the 'hit' into his cue before he thinks about the eye candy inlays. Rest assured that every cue he builds, from a plain Merry Widow to a lights out $100,000.00 collectors masterpiece will be a 'player' without a doubt. Playing pool at a high level takes so much thinking and concentration. You need to focus so much on every detail of your game that any distraction can be devastating. Having a quality cue in your hand that you 'trust' eliminates a distraction that takes your focus off your shot. I firmly believe that my game won't progress to that high level again until I get another Searing in my hands. That's just my opinion my friends.

Well said!

I am sorry I was the one who benefitted by your circumstances, but I hope you know that your cues are safe and still being played with.

I enjoyed meeting you in Florida and I hope your company is starting to thrive again! I have never sold a Searing but if I ever need to, you will definitely get first right of refusal to get yours back.

Take care!

ridewiththewind
04-29-2008, 08:48 PM
I keep hearing about what one of Dennis' cues will be worth now, and in a year, and in 10 years. Personally, I could care less what mine will be worth...to me, it will be priceless, as I never plan on parting with it!!

I am a player, and when I first contacted Dennis, it was because he is supposed to make THE players' cue. It was because of that philosophy to building his cues that got me interested in the first place...certainly not it's potential investment value. The way I see it, if my cue from Dennis makes my playing experience a thing of sheer joy, and makes me want to get back to the table again, and again, and again...then it was money well spent, and there is NO amount of money offered that would get me to part with it!!

Cues that can inspire like that just don't come down the pike every day. :)

Lisa <====on the list Dec 2005, and couldn't be happier! :D

1pRoscoe
04-29-2008, 08:50 PM
I keep hearing about what one of Dennis' cues will be worth now, and in a year, and in 10 years. Personally, I could care less what mine will be worth...to me, it will be priceless, as I never plan on parting with it!!

I am a player, and when I first contacted Dennis, it was because he is supposed to make THE players' cue. It was because of that philosophy to building his cues that got me interested in the first place...certainly not it's potential investment value. The way I see it, if my cue from Dennis makes my playing experience a thing of sheer joy, and makes me want to get back to the table again, and again, and again...then it was money well spent, and there is NO amount of money offered that would get me to part with it!!

Cues that can inspire like that just don't come down the pike every day. :)

Lisa

Don't forget to cup the balls, Lisa....

ridewiththewind
04-29-2008, 08:53 PM
Don't forget to cup the balls, Lisa....

Well Ross, you know how I feel about ball-cupping, but in this case, it may well be appropriate. :p :) :D I'll make sure to warm my hands first!! :eek:

BTW, if I cannot get what I'd like, I'll get one like you got...that cue is HAWT! :D

TheMarsMan
04-29-2008, 09:31 PM
Well Ross, you know how I feel about ball-cupping, but in this case, it may well be appropriate. :p :) :D I'll make sure to warm my hands first!! :eek:

BTW, if I cannot get what I'd like, I'll get one like you got...that cue is HAWT! :D

If you warm your hands first, I might just have to let one of my Searings go! J.K. :)

ridewiththewind
04-29-2008, 11:43 PM
If you warm your hands first, I might just have to let one of my Searings go! J.K. :)

LoL!!! :D :D :D