PDA

View Full Version : Q: Longest Pool Hall Marathon

stevekur1
04-27-2008, 09:13 PM
I remember back in the day you could spend countless hours in a pool room cause there was crazy action going on, Sadly it doesn't seem that way anymore.

What is the longest you have spent in a pool hall cause of the action? and what kind of crazy action was going on?

I Topped out at 52 hours straight, watching $1000 dollar games of One Hole. man there was some crazy side action going on.

Lets hear some stories!

Steve

Southpaw
04-27-2008, 09:23 PM
I watched SVB play continuously for about 2 1/2 days in Atlanta. When I got there he was playing Lil John....Shane won. Then he gave Tony Watson the 8 for $500/ game....Shane won. Then he gave Troy Frank the 8 in an 8 ahead set that lasted about3 hrs....Shane won. And Corey gave Shane the 8 in an 8 ahead set (rack your own). It took Corey about 12 hours to win. I was there for most of it.

Southpaw

stevekur1
04-27-2008, 09:32 PM
Wow seems like some real good action!

bet you didnt want to leave did ya?

jungledude
04-27-2008, 10:11 PM
:D I PLAYED A COUPLE OF MARATHON SESSIONS THAT LASTED FROM THURSDAY AT NOON UNTIL SUNDAY NITE. bOTH TIMES i HAD TO BE CARRIED INTO MY HOUSE AND i WAY 240, LOL. :D :p :D

deadwhak
04-27-2008, 10:17 PM
i played banks for about 20 hrs straight then couldnt get paid after i won...(my fault for not postin i guess)...

ironman
04-28-2008, 05:06 AM
[QUOTE=stevekur1]I remember back in the day you could spend countless hours in a pool room cause there was crazy action going on, Sadly it doesn't seem that way anymore.

What is the longest you have spent in a pool hall cause of the action? and what kind of crazy action was going on?

I Topped out at 52 hours straight, watching $1000 dollar games of One Hole. man there was some crazy side action going on.

Lets hear some stories!

Steve[/QUOTEI

Playing a guy in Aurora Colorado, in a bar, we started about 3pm Friday and finally broke him Monday at 8am. Won $19000.
I slept from about 10am until about 4pm and then my partner and I drove to Vegas where he satyed up another two days playing blackjack.
We then drove home as he went busted. It took about 40 hours to drive the 750-800 miles. I didn't want to leave my apartment for about a week.

ironman
04-28-2008, 05:08 AM
i played banks for about 20 hrs straight then couldnt get paid after i won...(my fault for not postin i guess)...

Everyone is entitled a mistake. I heard that you are the only person SHE ever stiffed.

!Smorgass Bored
04-28-2008, 10:10 AM
:D I PLAYED A COUPLE OF MARATHON SESSIONS THAT LASTED FROM THURSDAY AT NOON UNTIL SUNDAY NITE. bOTH TIMES i HAD TO BE CARRIED INTO MY HOUSE AND i WAY 240, LOL. :D :p :D

Marathon matches were the norm in New Orleans as long as I can remember. Even Flyboy, at his age and physical condition can lay it on for days.

I think it would have been easier to simply build a house around you wherever you were, than try to carry you to your house, Hump.

My wife thought I was nuts to leave Planet 9 Ball where I stayed from open to close, to drive 11 straight hours to New Orleans, book a hotel for a week and then spend 25 hours a day (I didn't take a lunch hour) in the Corner Pocket. Same-same at Breakers in Mobile. If you leave, for even an hour, you most assuredly will miss something (like JoeyA. vs Buddy Hall for the cheeeeeese).... imo :)
Doug
( I'm good to go, as long as the snappers are biting..........good fishing to you, too )

!Smorgass Bored
04-28-2008, 10:40 AM
I used to go to The Sonra Lounge or the Triple Play on Fridays (all snappered up) and play until Monday or Tuesday. I'd tell my life story non-stop (staring at the age of 1) to my opponent or whomever was within hearing distance. I'd smoke a carton of Kools.....and drink Tan Russians (that's a White Russian with only a dollop of milk).

I once played a guy that owned a lounge, but had run out of cash and they wouldn't let him have cash on his VISA card (this was before ATMs). We played for a drink and I beat him, we went double or nothing. I kept winning and going double or nothing until we reached 8 drinks that he owed me. I capped the bet at 8 drinks per game and when I won the next game, I ordered 8 Tan Russians and kept a one game backup. I finally had won 96 drinks and consumed them all, except two.

"Uncle" Angelo Conforto came on duty at 7:00a.m. and after hearing about how long I'd been out and how many drinks I'd had, he called in a player and matched the players bankroll with his own money and money from the cash register bank. I busted the fresh out of bed player. Angelo said after, "baaaaaaby, that's the best I ever seen, I ain't never seen nuttin like that. could you loan me $100 to get my bank right ?"

Many times I would leave one of those bars tired, drunk, feeling beat up and drive the 20 blocks to my apartment. On the walk from the parking lot to my apartment, I had to pass the swimming pool and no matter whether it was summer or winter, I would walk down the steps on one side of the pool and out to head deep water and then up the steps on the other side of the pool. I must have done that 100 times in the 10 years that I lived there. My neighbors loved it. :)

I met my wife while marathoning. She worked only steps from the Triple Play and would come in for coffee in the morning and a drink after work. She hated me, I was ALWAYS on the table and she couldn't play. She'd come and go, back and forth to work and I'd still be there playing. She got even by marrying me, but she LOVED me and my lifestyle. She encourages my going out to gamble and has never ONCE suggested that I go get *****A JOB *******.

Doug

8ballEinstein
04-28-2008, 07:20 PM
In Orange County, California, Charlie "the Ape" was legendary for marathon matches.

One time at the old Gray Fox in Anaheim, Charlie got locked up in a One-Pocket game with a young Mexican fella (I can't remember his name). They went into the third day straight and the Mexican fella pulls up $40,000 ahead, claiming he was too worn out to play anymore. The only reason he lasted as long as he did was because he was using "chemical warfare". Amazingly, Charlie was on a natural and wanted to play more!

Against his better judgement, he ends up playing against "Australian" Pete (good B level player). At this point, Charlie was so disoriented that Pete could have just taken ball-in-hand on each shot and Charlie wouldn't have noticed what was happening. Charlie ends up losing another $40K in just a few hours.

Fatboy
04-28-2008, 07:47 PM
i have went to the pool room on Friday nights and came home on sunday nights many times, mostly in Sacramento in the late 80's. I think the longet I ever layed was 13 or 14 hours which isnt much at all. I get board playing long sessions, I can sit on the rail, go play, back to the rail, take a nap somewhere etc and be fine with out leaving the pool room, but to do the same thing for 3 days in a row-no matter what it is I just get board. I'm not a long session player-knowing that I would awalys set a time limit on a match, i'm up for playing 2 or 3 days in a row 8 hours a day but not 24 hours straight.

Some guys like Monk(Warren Costanzo) probably spelled his name wrong dosent catch a gear for the first 24 hours he plays the longr he played the better he played-I wish I could do that.Chris Bartrum can get down like that too. SVB as well. Even when I was 18, I couldnt stand it. Good for the warriors they have my respect.

hemicudas
04-28-2008, 08:45 PM
I used to go to The Sonra Lounge or the Triple Play on Fridays (all snappered up) and play until Monday or Tuesday. I'd tell my life story non-stop (staring at the age of 1) to my opponent or whomever was within hearing distance. I'd smoke a carton of Kools.....and drink Tan Russians (that's a White Russian with only a dollop of milk).

I once played a guy that owned a lounge, but had run out of cash and they wouldn't let him have cash on his VISA card (this was before ATMs). We played for a drink and I beat him, we went double or nothing. I kept winning and going double or nothing until we reached 8 drinks that he owed me. I capped the bet at 8 drinks per game and when I won the next game, I ordered 8 Tan Russians and kept a one game backup. I finally had won 96 drinks and consumed them all, except two.

"Uncle" Angelo Conforto came on duty at 7:00a.m. and after hearing about how long I'd been out and how many drinks I'd had, he called in a player and matched the players bankroll with his own money and money from the cash register bank. I busted the fresh out of bed player. Angelo said after, "baaaaaaby, that's the best I ever seen, I ain't never seen nuttin like that. could you loan me $100 to get my bank right ?"

Many times I would leave one of those bars tired, drunk, feeling beat up and drive the 20 blocks to my apartment. On the walk from the parking lot to my apartment, I had to pass the swimming pool and no matter whether it was summer or winter, I would walk down the steps on one side of the pool and out to head deep water and then up the steps on the other side of the pool. I must have done that 100 times in the 10 years that I lived there. My neighbors loved it. :)

I met my wife while marathoning. She worked only steps from the Triple Play and would come in for coffee in the morning and a drink after work. She hated me, I was ALWAYS on the table and she couldn't play. She'd come and go, back and forth to work and I'd still be there playing. She got even by marrying me, but she LOVED me and my lifestyle. She encourages my going out to gamble and has never ONCE suggested that I go get *****A JOB *******.

Doug

Been to the Sonra once or twice myself, Doug. Gatta ask, do you or any of the other NOLA guys remember Charlie "Hippie" Harper? If so, is he still with the living?

Stones
04-29-2008, 12:25 AM
During the '83 or "84 Red's tourney in Houston (I can't remember which), I didn't see the sun for 4 days. There was action around the clock.

Survived by taking 20-30 minute naps about every 4-6 hours.

Fun times!!!

Stones

no-sho
04-29-2008, 08:51 AM
In Orange County, California, Charlie "the Ape" was legendary for marathon matches.

One time at the old Gray Fox in Anaheim, Charlie got locked up in a One-Pocket game with a young Mexican fella (I can't remember his name). They went into the third day straight and the Mexican fella pulls up $40,000 ahead, claiming he was too worn out to play anymore. The only reason he lasted as long as he did was because he was using "chemical warfare". Amazingly, Charlie was on a natural and wanted to play more!

Against his better judgement, he ends up playing against "Australian" Pete (good B level player). At this point, Charlie was so disoriented that Pete could have just taken ball-in-hand on each shot and Charlie wouldn't have noticed what was happening. Charlie ends up losing another $40K in just a few hours.

I have to know you cause I was running around OC in them days. Hard Times in Costa Mesa was also a hang out for Charlie the Ape along with Daisy Mays (SP). Charlie was always in Marathon action in those days!
The last time I saw Australian Pete was in Wiley's in Midway City around 1981 before it turned into a lesbian bar.... never mind
no-sho

!Smorgass Bored
04-29-2008, 01:14 PM
Been to the Sonra once or twice myself, Doug. Gatta ask, do you or any of the other NOLA guys remember Charlie "Hippie" Harper? If so, is he still with the living?

LOL, I vaguely remember two characters named Hippy from back then, but can't put a face to them or recall any memorable stories. One was tall and skinny with long straight hair and looked like a biker.

I called my brother and the owner of the Sonra and they both remembered as little as I did. My brother said, "if he's like 80% of your pals and acquantances from back then, he's deceased."
I think the percentage is even higher than that.

Doug
( I was reminded of Wayne Gonzales from Laplace and Bobby Joe from Norco and Louie Bonneval )

ironman
04-30-2008, 04:37 AM

Doug

You married a Saint. Never mentioned a job? You are my idol. I will never be the same.

Mine mentioned a job the other day. I led with a left and then the right upper cut. Got to be careful though, she has that big left hook that can set you back on your heels. I hate scrapping with Southpaws.

hemicudas
04-30-2008, 04:50 AM
LOL, I vaguely remember two characters named Hippy from back then, but can't put a face to them or recall any memorable stories. One was tall and skinny with long straight hair and looked like a biker.

I called my brother and the owner of the Sonra and they both remembered as little as I did. My brother said, "if he's like 80% of your pals and acquantances from back then, he's deceased."
I think the percentage is even higher than that.

Doug
( I was reminded of Wayne Gonzales from Laplace and Bobby Joe from Norco and Louie Bonneval )

You got him, Doug. Tall, skinny, straight long hair, hook nose and married the cutiest little girl in Jackson. She was a nurse, very convient, because Charlie was too thin to make any Drs. Charlie was from AR but lived in Jackson 5-6 years before moving to NOLA. I made a good score in Jackson with Louie Bonneval. Louie played perfect for Jackson and he was smart enough to listen to me.

No idea where Charlie Harper is now?

jrhendy
04-30-2008, 07:41 AM

Heart Attack Jack owned the Grey Fox when Charlie played there. I caught part of one of his games after he had been up a couple of days or so and he actually would fall asleep standing up leaning against his cue and you would have to poke him when it was his shot. The only reason the game lasted as long as it did was Charlie threatened him whenever he wanted to quit. If my memory is right, Charlie was playing "Rabbit" from 4th & Main in Los Angeles. John

cleary
04-30-2008, 08:00 AM
I dont understand how people play for more than 8-9 hours straight. My brain hurts after two straight sets.