PDA

View Full Version : Efern and tomorrows IPT match

dabarbr
04-28-2008, 12:25 PM
I'm not going to be able to watch Efren and Austin's match tomorrow due to prior commitments.

I have been watching Efren the last couple of days practicing rotation and matching up cheap one pocket. Yesterday at he Hard Times in LA he played Tang Ho 11 to 7 and Tang did come out ahead but it wasn't easy. Tang played very well.

Hawaiian Jimmy, one of the better one pocket players in Los Angeles, lost getting a 10 to 5 spot. It's hard to imagine how someone can run so many 10 and 11's so consistently, but he does. This man is truly amazing. However it appears to me that some of the magic is fading. Maybe in a few years he might come down to human level.

I hope tomorrows match would at least have some entertainment in it. I don't see how it could even be a match. But I would like to see the kid make a good showing. Good luck to Austin.

JoeyInCali
04-28-2008, 12:29 PM
Dear Lord. Jimmy getting 10-5. Jimmy got on a tough game?
What has this world come to?
Thnx Frank.

gopi-1
04-28-2008, 03:37 PM
Dear Lord. Jimmy getting 10-5. Jimmy got on a tough game?
What has this world come to?
Thnx Frank.

I read it somewhere from someone here that Jimmy got the breaks too...

Zirroe
04-28-2008, 03:42 PM
I read it somewhere from someone here that Jimmy got the breaks too...
you're right he also got the breaks
i left after the first set yesterday
jimmy won the first one hill hill race to 4

gopi-1
04-28-2008, 04:03 PM
you're right he also got the breaks
i left after the first set yesterday
jimmy won the first one hill hill race to 4

Thnx for the heads up Zirroe! http://emoticons4u.com/fingers/fing02.gif

So, anybody here going to watch the Efren/Austin match as part of the live
studio audience aside from myself?

Nagual
04-28-2008, 04:50 PM
Since it's a free broadcast:
Would it be possible for someone to record the match(es) for people in different timezones?

I'm a big poolfan myself but I doubt if my boss likes it if I had to make up for the hours sleep I missed out on ;).

jason
04-28-2008, 05:42 PM
This is worse than boxing. At least they have a "ranking" system. If all KT is trying to do is get ratings, then what is next? Celebrity pool after dark? Pamela Anderson vs. Johnny Archer? or Britney vs. Earl?

Don't get me wrong folks, I have a lot of respect for Austin and of course Efren, but why is this important? Because someone dangled a carrot to make the boys dance? This is nothing more than an exibition and a payday.

I dont blame the players, or KT for that matter. I blame the whole pool community who has allowed this to happen.

joninnorfolk
04-28-2008, 06:08 PM
Is KT gonna put the cash on the light?

poolhustler
04-28-2008, 06:36 PM

I'll be there!!!!!

Russ....

Subsonic2u
04-28-2008, 06:49 PM
I have yet to watch one of these "on line" matches. I have an old, slo, dial up puter. Will I b able to watch? What is involved?

Charlie

frankncali
04-28-2008, 11:02 PM
I'll be there!!!!!

Russ....

Count me in as well !!! :D

powerlineman80
04-29-2008, 12:31 AM
I dont blame the players, or KT for that matter. I blame the whole pool community who has allowed this to happen.

We are seeing a legend play a kid who could be the next legend and you blame the pool community for that? I say the pool community was pretty damn smart IMO. Good to know you wont be watching, maybe the video and audio with this match will be better than the last with less watchers like you.

A great straight pool match and a young possible prodigy against the greatest pool player of all time. Sounds like a helluva deal to me.

Luxury
04-29-2008, 02:41 AM
Yeah this definitely sounds like a DELICIOUS free lunch to me.

softshot
04-29-2008, 02:56 AM
This is worse than boxing. At least they have a "ranking" system. If all KT is trying to do is get ratings, then what is next?

Britney vs. Earl?

that would be awesome a washed up has been who uses photo op gimics to stay famous.....playing Brittney Spears..........I would love to watch her bend over the table and pretend it was 2 kids ago...

wow a volatile personality kept barely level with pharmaceuticals and who snaps at the first opportunity... playing against Brittney Spears... that would be amazing..

Celebrity Boxing has nothing on this.....

JAM
04-29-2008, 03:13 AM

I haven't been following the match updates closely. Where is this match taking place? Are you going to be there in person to see it? If so, you better take some pictures, dag nab it! :p

JAM

gopi-1
04-29-2008, 03:40 AM
I haven't been following the match updates closely. Where is this match taking place? Are you going to be there in person to see it? If so, you better take some pictures, dag nab it! :p

JAM

I'll try to take pictures with my crappy camera if they'll allow me to JAM.

JAM
04-29-2008, 03:41 AM
I'll try to take pictures with my crappy camera if they'll allow me to JAM.

I want to see a picture of YOU and Efren together. :p

JAM

gopi-1
04-29-2008, 03:52 AM
I want to see a picture of YOU and Efren together. :p

JAM

I could show you a pic my family, minus myself of course! :p

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v737/observer111/40600004.jpg

JAM
04-29-2008, 03:57 AM
I could show you a pic my family, minus myself of course! :p

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v737/observer111/40600004.jpg

What a lovely family!

Is that you in the upper right in disguise? :D

JAM

gopi-1
04-29-2008, 04:01 AM
What a lovely family!

Is that you in the upper right in disguise? :D

JAM

WOW! Are you psychic Jennie? http://emoticons4u.com/happy/1202.gif

jason
04-29-2008, 04:34 AM
We are seeing a legend play a kid who could be the next legend and you blame the pool community for that? I say the pool community was pretty damn smart IMO.

I blame the pool community for being so broken and fractured that two of our players can be bought to perform a circus act for anyone willing to throw a buck at them, and sold to the public as something of importance!

Watching a legend and a prodity playing is great, but in this context? It would be 1000 times better if Austin was playing Efren in the finals of the DCC. That way we know they earned their way there through a field of quality competitors and it has some merit.

What was so special about Mike S. playing Lori JJ in the first exhabition match? Nothing. It was a joke, but guaranteed that one of KTs friends would be handpicked to be King of the Hill, then to be later destroyed by Efren.

Is this just a popularity contest? If so, then we very well could see a match between Britney and Johnny. Why not a match between Britney and Paris? or JayZee and Prince? We may not see a pro at all! In fact it would be a lot more interesting for the public because the players wouldnt be making "all those simple shots".

Would Tiger Woods play a heads up match against a top 14 year old prodity? I don't think so unless it was for charity.

frankncali
04-29-2008, 11:55 AM
I blame the pool community for being so broken and fractured that two of our players can be bought to perform a circus act for anyone willing to throw a buck at them, and sold to the public as something of importance!

Watching a legend and a prodity playing is great, but in this context? It would be 1000 times better if Austin was playing Efren in the finals of the DCC. That way we know they earned their way there through a field of quality competitors and it has some merit.

What was so special about Mike S. playing Lori JJ in the first exhabition match? Nothing. It was a joke, but guaranteed that one of KTs friends would be handpicked to be King of the Hill, then to be later destroyed by Efren.

Is this just a popularity contest? If so, then we very well could see a match between Britney and Johnny. Why not a match between Britney and Paris? or JayZee and Prince? We may not see a pro at all! In fact it would be a lot more interesting for the public because the players wouldnt be making "all those simple shots".

Would Tiger Woods play a heads up match against a top 14 year old prodity? I don't think so unless it was for charity.

You act as if the "pool community" is a strong financial organization. In all
honesty there has never been a Pro pool sector that has been a strong financial organization. Even if just looking at individuals spread across the globe we represent a very weak group financially speaking.

In every industry there are always "shows" that aid and fund in the devleopment of the industry. Pool should be no different. We need to find ways to expose more people to players in general.
You need to think more like the general public. They don't know who Austin Murphy is and not even Efren. Its appealing. Heres a legend where almost every person agrees is the greatest of all time and he is the next great thing possiblly. Its intriging even to pool fans. I don't care that its a pony show. Its FREE and features the greatest player of all time.

Would pool be any better without this event or if Efren had declined?? NO

Would pool be any better if Schmidt would tell them to stick it and he wants a 20k appearance fee and Murphy has to be replaced??? NO

To the general pool community its a great opportunity to see Efren, Oliver and Schmidt. Some may not have seen those Top players before. Its also a chance to see a guy that could oneday be a force. Its a chance for others to say "I can beat him!" or " that kid at my hall is better than him" or " I enjoyed the straight pool, never seen that before. Can you believe that breakout!"
At least people will be talking and maybe oneday billiards will figure out a
way to reach the masses as a sport and not just a game that millions like to play on occasion.

IMO the answer likely solution to a better professional pool world has been in front for than a century. People like team events and love to be a fan.
Team Billiards is poopular in the masses of the pool community in league play and partner pool. Even in auto racing people cheer for owners and teams.
If you have never been to a big League Nationals or to the Mosconi Cup then you havent seen how passionate people can be for team billiards.

uwate
04-29-2008, 01:24 PM
ortmann v schmidt 14.1
FREE

Efren playing against a top USA junior player.
FREE

man, cmon its FREE...how much more do you have to know?

if you think its not worth your time...DONT WATCH. your entrance fee to the show will not be missed.

I hope Landon plays jamup and makes Efren play to win. The 14.1 match alone is worth logging in to check out. I wish the IPT had made it a 1p challenge match undercard but hey i'm not complaining...ITS FREE

Bigdogbret
04-29-2008, 01:28 PM
This is no different than years ago if Tiger Woods at 14 yrs. of age would have played Jack Nickolas or Arnold Palmer in an exhibition match. I would have loved to see that and I am looking forward to tonight's match.

Efren's skills are declining with age, though he is still one of the top players in the world today. Austin is a young player wigh a lot of potential and who is not intimadated by playing top players. He sees it as an opportunity to see how he matches up with the best in the world.

I am looking forward to a good match tonight.

Rubyron
04-29-2008, 01:57 PM
It's too bad that the IPT doesn't have a chat feature like TAR. It is a blast. Maybe we could log on to the chat room here on AZ during the match.

Roy Steffensen
04-29-2008, 02:45 PM
Hawaiian Jimmy, one of the better one pocket players in Los Angeles, lost getting a 10 to 5 spot. It's hard to imagine how someone can run so many 10 and 11's so consistently, but he does. This man is truly amazing.

And he got the breaks too???

I am printing this thread, and gonna bring it back to Manila.

I will tell Efren that I will no longer accept 10-5, I will now demand 14-2 and the breaks + 1 game on the wire.

Man, he's been hustling me all the time....

Celtic
04-29-2008, 02:54 PM

I guess you look back at the early exhibition matches in which a very young Mosconi was matched up against the best player in the world at the time Ralph Greenleaf. Mosconi lost the first matches as well as the bulk of the matches they played in their exhibition tour. But that early exposure and those matches are talked about to this day, almost 3/4 of a century later and likely helped Mosconi become perhaps the most dominant pool player the world has ever seen.

Funny thing, those exhibition matches were played during a time when pool was doing much better from a relative point of view then it is today. You act as if this up coming match is some sort of a new thing and the sign of a dying sport and yet it is instead a throwback to a time when the sport was doing a heck of alot better then it is today, especially in America.

Beyond a hard core pool player or fan who even knows the DCC exists? Or the US Open, or the friggin WPC 9-ball championships for that matter? A non-golfer and person who does not follow the sport will at least know who Tiger Woods is and what the Masters is, but ask the average person walking down the street who Johnny Archer is or Efren Reyes and be prepared to see blank stares. What is the DCC doing for the sport? What is it doing to increase the popularity and make it more mainstream? Absolutely nothing, thats what. It is a tournament where the subculture of pool gets together and some money matches take place and beyond the tight knit pool playing community not a soul hears anything about it or even knows it exists.

The DCC and other events like that are doing nothing to move this sport forward. Will this match? Maybe not, but at least it is something different and you know what, if they allow the TV stations to do some quick interviews and give them some footage of the match they probably CAN get some TV time on the news showing a young prodigy playing an top pro and maybe make a few people other then AZBilliards posters to realize that there is a sport called pool that actually exists and has tournaments and the whole thing instead of just being that table in the pub you hit balls around on while you drink beer.

yobagua
04-29-2008, 02:58 PM
Efren's skills declining with age? And he gives Hawaiian Jimmy 10/5 and the breaks and Tang Hoa 11/7? What kind of decline is that. Top one pocket players wont play him unless they get 9/6 and the breaks. Last year in the Phillipines he whopped that young whippersnapper. Ronnie Alcano, in Rotation. I think its better to play him even cheap than to get a spot and play him large. Because like Corey Deuel says "I dont care what spot you give me Efren, I cant beat you" in one pocket..
Its true I saw him miss a ball last nite and saw him scratch once. Amazing. Will wonders never cease. Did he lose? No.......

dabarbr
04-29-2008, 03:06 PM

I will tell Efren that I will no longer accept 10-5, I will now demand 14-2 and the breaks + 1 game on the wire.

Oops, I didn't mean to knock Efrens action. I know he's trying to keep his game under undercover. Don't tell him it was me.

UrackmIcrackm
04-29-2008, 03:15 PM
I hope Landon plays jamup and makes Efren play to win.
I believe Austin Murphy is playing in this match and from what I understand, the young man has grown about 6 inches since the majority of us last saw him. It will definitely be a little surprising to see him at that height considering I saw him prior to the growth spurt not too long ago.

MJ_Ro
04-29-2008, 03:18 PM
Anyone know how long untill the match is gonna start?

dabarbr
04-29-2008, 03:23 PM
Efren's skills declining with age? And he gives Hawaiian Jimmy 10/5 and the breaks and Tang Hoa 11/7? What kind of decline is that. Top one pocket players wont play him unless they get 9/6 and the breaks. Last year in the Phillipines he whopped that young whippersnapper. Ronnie Alcano, in Rotation. I think its better to play him even cheap than to get a spot and play him large. Because like Corey Deuel says "I dont care what spot you give me Efren, I cant beat you" in one pocket..
Its true I saw him miss a ball last nite and saw him scratch once. Amazing. Will wonders never cease. Did he lose? No.......
This is what I'm talking about. In a two hour span I saw him miss a combo and get out of line once with position. Imagine that. I never saw that before.

UrackmIcrackm
04-29-2008, 03:44 PM
Anyone know how long untill the match is gonna start?
I was told the first match which is John vs. Oliver 14.1 is supposed to start at 8pm eastern, which is an hour and a half from now.

MJ_Ro
04-29-2008, 03:48 PM
I was told the first match which is John vs. Oliver 14.1 is supposed to start at 8pm eastern, which is an hour and a half from now.

Ah crap, hope i can stay awake . Is now 1:40am :mad:

stan shuffett
04-29-2008, 03:50 PM
[QUOTE=UrackmIcrackm] "I believe Austin Murphy is playing in this match...." not Landon.

UrackmIcrackm, Ucrackmmeup. I hope Landon is not playing. We have made no arrangements.

All kidding aside the best of luck from Landon to Austin.

Stan Shuffett

RunoutalloverU
04-29-2008, 04:19 PM
I just have this feeling the feed is not going to go smoothly, I hope im wrong.

MJ_Ro
04-29-2008, 05:16 PM
Can you make the video window bigger? Stream seems to be fine right now.

nympfisher
04-29-2008, 05:22 PM
dang,, i cant even get access.. (access denied)

Nine Ball
04-29-2008, 05:47 PM
Is this straight pool match live or is it just a recorded match being played before the live with Efren?

Tristan
04-29-2008, 06:21 PM
Wow, Mike is talking trash like a mother and Neither of them will shut up about "knapp cloth." I wish I could turn this ridiculous commentary off... (yes yes I know I can just mute it, but I want to hear the balls)

yobagua
04-29-2008, 06:24 PM

Roy, you get 10/5 from Efren????!!!!

OK now I know I need 9/4 and the breaks from you!

Luxury
04-29-2008, 06:28 PM
Is this straight pool match live or is it just a recorded match being played before the live with Efren?

It is totally live and should have been bet on by many here.

dabarbr
04-29-2008, 06:47 PM
Mike has just officially named himself " The Pool God "

Tristan
04-29-2008, 06:49 PM
But only on knapp cloth right...

man I hope his personality isn't this obnoxious in real life

Mike has just officially named himself " The Pool God "

TheMarsMan
04-29-2008, 06:58 PM

I promise you it is MUCH worse!

dabarbr
04-29-2008, 07:00 PM

It is. A couple of years ago he told me that his game is not what it used to be. I then said that Father Time has a little to do with that. He then responded with " no. no that's for other guys not me "

TheMarsMan
04-29-2008, 07:21 PM
Just started announcing the Efren match.

Tristan
04-29-2008, 07:33 PM
So far so good. Both players clearly very dialed in right now.

And by the way, how is it that Mike didn't know how to pronounce Efren's name? How is that possible? "Efram?" "EFRAM???"

powerlineman80
04-29-2008, 08:13 PM
Is this just a popularity contest?

Well generally when the general public gets to vote on who plays it is a popularity contest. You do understand the IPT let people vote for any IPT player right??:confused: