PDA

View Full Version : Jump/Break Tips....

BigDaddy
04-28-2008, 02:09 PM
Silly question here........

Do you all grind or scuff down the tips on the jump/breaks?

Any help in what you do please let me know. I miscue way too often:eek:

BVal
04-28-2008, 02:11 PM

Try a White Diamond tip. Holds chalk, jumps and breaks very well. Better than any phenolic I have seen.

BVal

av84fun
04-28-2008, 02:48 PM
I see no benefit from trying to scuff a phenolic tip. Just chalk it up well.

I don't want to hijack the thread or get into a whole thing about it but you shouldn't miscue even with zero chalk of you are striking the CB very close to center.

I don't agree with the use of substantial tip offset on break shots because I don't believe there is much spin transfer to the 1 ball and practically none from the 1 to the two it touches....so all you're doing is creating squirt and/or altering the CB path off the rail...but I'd rather not send the CB to any rail in the first place. (that's where those damn side pockets are lurking!) (-:

On your final stroke, try fixing your eyes on the center of the CB...maybe a half tip radius of low center, and imagine a hole through the CB. Then, on that final stroke, just drive the tip through the hole.

If you aimed properly to begin with, the imaginary hole is all you need to aim your cue tip at. You should reduce your miscues to zero.

If you've been using side, you will have to adjust your aim because you won't get the squirt you've been getting.

Given center ball CB contact, and assuming a break from the standard off the rail position, a square hit would send the 1 ball to a point on the foot rail about 1 chalk width to the right of the 1st diamond (breaking from the right) and that is how I aim the break shot....i.e. to send the 1 ball to that point on the rail (if there were no other balls of course).

Just my $0.02

Regards,
Jim

cyrex
04-28-2008, 05:28 PM
I have a Gulyassy JB with his phenolic tip. I'll occasionally scuff it up when I'm doing cue maintenance. Seems to hold chalk a little better. I've been doing this for about 4 years now with no problems.

StevenPWaldon
04-28-2008, 05:31 PM
Not necessary to scuff the tip of the jump/break, unless you're using lots of side (which I can't imagine you are).

BigDaddy
04-29-2008, 07:37 AM
Thanks for all the help guys. I will use the lessons for sure!

BRKNRUN
04-29-2008, 09:05 AM
I have a phenolic tip on the Jump/Break.

I had it shaped flatter than normal...I am not sure what the theory is behind doing that, but I did it a few years ago when I noticed more than one pro cues that had a very flat break tip....(I think it reduces CB squirt potential and may increase power mass transfer)

I never shape it, but I do roll a pic over it once in a blue moon to create some indents...

Actually quite often I won't even chalk the tip except the very first break of the night since I break center CB...:)

Jude Rosenstock
04-29-2008, 09:10 AM

If I had YOUR avatar, I'd be miscuing all the time.

gpeezy
04-29-2008, 09:13 AM
I see you use a J&J. I used to have one myself and I have scuffed it before. The thing you really want to do when breaking is stay as center as possible. Knowing I don't have the perfect break I would scuff mine from time to time to add a little Grab. The J&J tips get a real glassy slick finish from time to time. White diamonds are the best choice when selecting a phenolic type tip. You should try one on that J&J you'll love it.

BigDaddy
04-29-2008, 10:56 AM
If I had YOUR avatar, I'd be miscuing all the time.
Yeah....I told her to stay off the table when I play....but you know!!!!!!!:D

BigDaddy
04-29-2008, 11:01 AM
I see you use a J&J. I used to have one myself and I have scuffed it before. The thing you really want to do when breaking is stay as center as possible. Knowing I don't have the perfect break I would scuff mine from time to time to add a little Grab. The J&J tips get a real glassy slick finish from time to time. White diamonds are the best choice when selecting a phenolic type tip. You should try one on that J&J you'll love it.
Thanks Gpeez.

I will def. try that!!!!:)

Sysko1
04-29-2008, 11:01 AM
I just use a willard nickle shaper on my phenolic tip. I just spin it a couple of times on the tip enough to put rings on the surface. I can even play with the tip with no problem of miscueing. Hope this helps.