PDA

View Full Version : sigel cues?

Raecarmia
04-29-2008, 01:57 AM
anyone have any info on these?....I cant seem to find iny info...any help would be greatly appriciated.

thanks

JAM
04-29-2008, 01:59 AM
anyone have any info on these?....I cant seem to find iny info...any help would be greatly appriciated.

I just did a search on Google for "Sigel cues" and came up with this: http://www.mikesigel.com/

Google is my friend! :D

As far as how a Sigel cue hits, I cannot offer any info, but I am sure there are some on this forum who will be more than happy to share their opinion about Sigel and his custom-made cues. :)

JAM

The King
04-29-2008, 03:39 AM
His cues are overpriced and the hit is worst ... Needless to say his cues pretty much match his personality ... But then that is just my experience with his line of cues ... I'm definatly not a fan of his cues but do love his game ...

Gerry
04-29-2008, 05:40 AM
I had 2 of his cues about 6 years ago. Workmanship was great, construction was fine, but a little over priced at the time north of 2k. 1 hit great, the other had issues, not sure what it was? but the hit was not there no matter what I did. I sold/traded them away a few years ago.

I think Mike gets a lot of beef because of his personality, but he builds a nice cue and takes great pride in what he does I could tell that when buying them and talking to Mike and his wife...

G.

cardiac kid
04-29-2008, 07:10 AM
Hi raecarmia,

Mike was in town all last week. He has eight or nine cues left of HIS manufacture. Watch out for the cheap Chinese cues he also sold. Some look the same. There are several of his cues used at Classic Billiards here in Rochester. Each of the owners loves his. I've hit with them. They play well. Honestly, I prefer the hit of my Schon. But, what do I know! I've used the same cue for eighteen years.

Lyn

Blackjack
04-29-2008, 07:19 AM
FWIW, Mike told me he is not going to build cues anymore and he has closed up his shop. He gives lessons occasionally and for the most part he is enjoying life. Personality flaws or not, whatever Mike chooses to do - playing pool - teaching pool - building cues - he will succeed despite all of that - he is just compelled to be the best at whatever he tries to do.

How do his cues hit? Buddy Hall once said, "they don't hit worth a f$%!..."

:p

jay helfert
04-29-2008, 07:48 AM
Mike originally was making his own custom line of cues. He learned his trade from Danny Janes, who he worked with for several years. These Mike Sigel signed cues are well made and play good. They sold for upwards of $1,000 and compared favorably with other custom cues.

He then had a line of cues made for him in Taiwan. These have his name stamped on them somewhere. They are decent looking "starter" cues for beginners and newbies to pool. They were typically sold in the one to two hundred dollar price range. Unfortunately by issuing this low end line of cues, Mike devalued the nice cues he had made before.

A high end Mike Sigel cue that sold for $2,000 originally now might go for $1,000 on the used cue market. Too bad because there is some very good workmanship in them. Some day the market may recover for his cues, because there aren't many original "Mike Sigel" cues out there. I suspect that one day they will have collector value.

I have a beautiful cue he made for me about ten years ago. I paid $1,600 for it then. I'm going to just hold onto it for now.

Wybrook
04-29-2008, 07:50 AM
I bought one about 5 or 6 years ago. Its a one-off, built with an ebony butt and nice pink ivory and ivory inlays in the top and bottom. I played with this cue and two others for about 2-3 hours before buying this one. The cue has a thin butt and is balanced extremely well. It really feels like part of my arm when I am holding it. As for the hit? It hits great, a little hard, but with nice resonance and feedback. No one who has ever hit with my cue did not like it, and actually everyone wants to buy it from me. I would not trade it for anything at this point in time. The hit of a cue is subjective though. As far as mine goes and a couple other Sigels I have shot with, I would have to say they play and feel great. Others may or may not agree, but don't turn away from them until you personally try a couple.

Adam W.

Raecarmia
04-29-2008, 09:17 AM
Thanks everyone for the responses...I agree with having to pick a "good" playing cue out of his line, but I had a nice hitting one in the past. I know the secondary market is pretty low for his cues but I plan on keeping the next one....:D I currently play with an Albrecht Custom cue and it's incredible!!!.....just looking to add another great player to my case.

Thanks again for all the responses.

gpeezy
04-29-2008, 09:21 AM
The higher end Sigels I've hit a ball with I REALLY liked. I wanna say the are some with a Logo that are massed produced. The ones I've hit with were signed someway.

Pushout
04-29-2008, 12:54 PM
Honestly, I prefer the hit of my Schon. But, what do I know! I've used the same cue for eighteen years.

Lyn

LOL!!! I was gonna ask if you were still playing with that Schon and I forgot! I'm still playing with Matti Sindoni's {sp?} Dishaw that I bought from the second owner in '95.

branpureza
04-29-2008, 01:56 PM
I have never seen one I liked but Shannon Daulton's is probably the least ugly one I've seen... that's what he's playing with at the moment.