PDA

View Full Version : bad chalk

bigg7
04-29-2008, 09:46 AM
:( I was wondering if if anyone ever had a problem with masters chalk not adhering to your tip I live in a tropical climate with high humidity and my pieces were brand new. I just need to know if there is something I can do to fix this I just opened a new gross box. Thank you.

Patrick Johnson
04-29-2008, 10:00 AM
:( I was wondering if if anyone ever had a problem with masters chalk not adhering to your tip I live in a tropical climate with high humidity and my pieces were brand new. I just need to know if there is something I can do to fix this I just opened a new gross box. Thank you.

Put 'em in a warm oven to dry them out. Really.

Deno Andrews did this and posted about it on RSB - search the archives there for time and temp.

pj
chgo

Ant812
04-29-2008, 10:01 AM
they dont work as well if they were ever wet. this shouldnt be the case in your situation though. you did try other cubes out of the gross, right?

Danny Kuykendal
04-29-2008, 10:03 AM
I own a pool room and play a lot, and I've found that Master chalk can vary some, from box to box.
Triangle chalk, made by the same manufacturer is somewhat more gritty and doesn't turn to mush in more humid climates.

You might find that some of the Master will be good and some not so good. That is my experience in my pool room.

Danny

VonRhett
04-29-2008, 10:11 AM
What PJ said!

Really - baking your chalk is an "old-timer trick"; most of today's young players aren't aware of this.

It works.....

-von

hang-the-9
04-29-2008, 10:16 AM

Well, there is your issue "tropical climate and high humidity". not so much bad chalk really. You'd need a pretty well climate controlled room to keep chalk from becoming a slurry. The oven thing should do the trick, just make sure you keep the paper away from any direct metal contact on the oven grates. Use a silicone mat if you can.

Secaucus Fats
04-29-2008, 10:19 AM
Nuking a few pieces in the microwave gets them nice and dry, and it's a whole lot quicker than a conventional oven.

Fats

Patrick Johnson
04-29-2008, 10:27 AM
Nuking a few pieces in the microwave gets them nice and dry, and it's a whole lot quicker than a conventional oven.

Fats

Yeah, but they don't taste as good.

pj
chgo

Fatboy
04-29-2008, 10:51 AM

yes, with the blue chalk I have used some that looks kinda gray and gritty and it never worked, I have also had some that was bright blue and talc-ey that was just as bad, I would guess that its about 10% of the chalk overall.

Also in Europe I have noticed its like that more often, perhaps they ship the 2nd's over there. I dont know for sure, and then there is the occasional box that is perfect.

in summery everybox is a bit different.

14\1 lover
04-29-2008, 11:22 AM
I live in Poland at Baltic seacoast and from 6 monts i cannot find decent Master chalk,everyone is too soft and dont sold CB as should.I bought a Silver Cup Chalk and everithing is OK.
Master chalk sucks recently

bigg7
04-30-2008, 03:18 PM
Thanks everyone for the help and Ill let you know how the oven and the microwave work out.

mullyman
04-30-2008, 04:23 PM
After you bake your chalk stop by a camera shop and pick up on of those things that you can toss in your case that will suck the moisture out of the air. It will keep your chalk dry.
MULLY