PDA

View Full Version : Cue Maker's promised delivery date.

JoeyA
04-29-2008, 03:07 PM
This is a poll only for custom cues, not something sitting on the shelf.

!Smorgass Bored
04-29-2008, 03:12 PM
This is a timely Poll, but I'm not clear on what you hope to achieve by this Poll. I have no cuemaker horror stories to contribute, I guess I'm one of the lucky ones.
Doug

HIRUN526
04-29-2008, 04:55 PM
When it comes to ordering a custom cue I don't get to involved with delivery dates. The way I figure it if the cuemaker is making me a cue I let him have all the time he needs to build my cue and at the same time the other cue orders that are ahead of me I want the cuemaker to do the same for each and every customer.
It is a custom cue and it is special and look at it like special treatment to my cue.

I personally trust the cuemaker and his decision on when I will get the cue.

Str8PoolPlayer
04-29-2008, 05:03 PM
Alex Brick has been the most consistent when it comes to delivery time ... When he says 12 wks. he means 12 wks. and will do his level best to complete and deliver your cue on time ...

And did I mention his work is impeccable ? ... I really should keep my "trap" shut 'cause his prices might go up with all this good rep coming his way ...

CocoboloCowboy
04-29-2008, 06:04 PM
I think most Cuemaker who are in the business full-time try, and give customer realistic expectation of Cue delivery as it is their lively hood.

But sadly factors beyond their control sometimes do not allow a Cue to be delivered as promised.

Professional Cuemakers do a good job of communicating with their customer, and I had one experience where a Cuemaker had on going problem with wood (a burl) breaking up in his lathe.

He sent me photos with a letter of apology about his dilemma, we work threw the problem, and the Cue was delivered late, but up to his high quality standards.

Should I have faulted the guy who communicated well, explained his problem well, and was honest.

I say NO. Think sometimes wood does things a cuemaker can not predict.http://www.geocities.com/cocobolocowboy/nailbiting.gif

pistolero
04-30-2008, 06:38 AM
I like to get tattoos. Getting a CC is like gettting a tattoo. Most of the time your not 100% what its gonna look like, it always takes longer than what they say, and your stuck with what you get. I'm still getting tattoos and still waiting on cues.

Wouldn't have it any other way.

catscradle
04-30-2008, 06:51 AM
I've occassionally had some run a little late and I checked that, but in point of fact they were never late enough to constitute a problem.

12squared
04-30-2008, 06:52 AM
Judd was the only one that delivered on time. In fact he was a week early. Thank you Judd!

My worst experience was with Mike Lambros. I ordered a custom 3-cushion cue in the mid/late 90's which I prepaid in full w/shipping too - he quoted 12-16 weeks. He gave me me a nice deal because I was a pretty good player at that time and would help him sell more cues. As I checked in with him after the 12 weeks, he said two more weeks, it took a year of excuses for him to finally tell me the butt was warpped so he's not sending it (he never mentioned that for the 8 months it was supposed to be already completed) and he's not making any more 3-cushion cues so he's going to refund my money (of course he forgot that I had prepaid the shippint too). But after a few more conversations, I got my whole refund back. So basically I ended up funding him an interest free loan. And it costs me many long distance phone calls.

stick8
04-30-2008, 06:55 AM
As i said before , i deal with {steve lomax] and have no problems at all great workman ship. stands behind his work!!!!:D :D :D

pharaoh68
04-30-2008, 06:56 AM
Funny you should bring this up.

I started a thread on this subject over at another site because of an experience I had with a cuemaker who was:

A) two years behind schedule
B) kinda giving me the runaround when I would inquire.

I didn't hound him as I normally don't with cuemakers. But I did check in for the occassional update to which the cuemaker's response was to "play peek-a-boo" with me (his words - not mine), or more to the point, give me the run around.

Anyway, feel free to check it out. Its a cool site. Lotta AZers over there.

http://www.jimboarmy.com/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=127&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

-B

P.S.- Don't be thrown by the domain name. The site's admin is none other than Mr. Murray Tucker himself.

Flex
04-30-2008, 07:15 AM
Judd was the only one that delivered on time. In fact he was a week early. Thank you Judd!

My worst experience was with Mike Lambros. I ordered a custom 3-cushion cue in the mid/late 90's which I prepaid in full w/shipping too - he quoted 12-16 weeks. He gave me me a nice deal because I was a pretty good player at that time and would help him sell more cues. As I checked in with him after the 12 weeks, he said two more weeks, it took a year of excuses for him to finally tell me the butt was warpped so he's not sending it (he never mentioned that for the 8 months it was supposed to be already completed) and he's not making any more 3-cushion cues so he's going to refund my money (of course he forgot that I had prepaid the shippint too). But after a few more conversations, I got my whole refund back. So basically I ended up funding him an interest free loan. And it costs me many long distance phone calls.

While I really do empathize with you, and am sorry you had that problem, there's something in your thread that caught my eye, about the "long distance phone calls"... Local or long distance costs the same for me; it's all included in my calling plan. Not trying to hijack your thread, just wondered about how much those calls might have cost you.

Thanks,

Flex

catscradle
04-30-2008, 07:24 AM
... Local or long distance costs the same for me; it's all included in my calling plan. Not trying to hijack your thread, just wondered about how much those calls might have cost you.

Thanks,

Flex

That may be basically the case for most people now, but not that long ago, when people's carrier choices were more limited, long distances calls could add up pretty quickly as I recall.

MOJOE
04-30-2008, 07:27 AM
Most of the Customs that I ordered have been late. Only a few were on time actually.

The others and there are quite a few have been from 6 months later than promised to nearly 2 years late. It becomes frustrating especially when a down payment of full payment was made.

I am good now, no need for any more customs. Don't see myself ordering any for quite a while. End result has been that it was worth the wait each time. I'd rather have slower than expected quality rather than a quick tomato stake! YMMV

Flex
04-30-2008, 07:29 AM
That may be basically the case for most people now, but not that long ago, when people's carrier choices were more limited, long distances calls could add up pretty quickly as I recall.

Besides my home phone, and a cell phone for work, I also have a "Pay as you go" AT&T cellphone, that costs me $1 for each day I use it, and 10 cents a minute. If I'm calling another AT&T/Cingular customer, the cost per minute is zero. Heck, I could speak with someone with a Cingular account for a whole freakin' 24 hours on one day and pay the grand total of $1.00, with no monthly fees, might I add.

On the other hand, if I have a plan where long distance is pricey, the cost could obviously be very high.

Just wondering what those long distance calls actually cost him.

Flex

Detlev Rackow
04-30-2008, 08:13 AM
Kenny Murrell told me to expect the cue in 8-10 months and delivered after 7 months :)

12squared
04-30-2008, 10:01 AM
While I really do empathize with you, and am sorry you had that problem, there's something in your thread that caught my eye, about the "long distance phone calls"... Local or long distance costs the same for me; it's all included in my calling plan. Not trying to hijack your thread, just wondered about how much those calls might have cost you.

Thanks,

Flex

Felix, This was in the mid 1990s (around 96) and I did not have a cell phone at that time and my land line had separate long distance. Sorry if I wasn't clear, but it cost me for every long distance call I made.

td873
04-30-2008, 10:24 AM
I would guess that the more expensive the custom cue, the more "on-time" it is. Heck, order yourself a $10,000 custom, and I bet you get it early. ;)

Seriously though, in the real world, delivery dates for custom items are soft dates. The alternative is that you would get your item on the date promised - but unfinished. So which would you rather have...

-td

robertno1pool
04-30-2008, 10:25 AM
My worst cue delivery experience was never delivered with a sizeable downpayment made.

Cue delivery date was bypassed and just got later and later and later.

Cue still has not been delivered and it is a few years later.

What a huge problem ! ! !

I feel pretty confident my downpayment is mostly lost and the cue will never be delivered by the cuemaker I ordered it from.

You might ask how I know:

The cuemaker got cancer and died.

So what if my cue is late. While I am not happy with the transaction, hopefully my money went to making a shortened life a little bit more bearable. My little problem of getting a cue was dwarfed by a bigger problem.

Hope you all can get the cues you ordered eventually.

AnnieO - you are missed.