PDA

View Full Version : How long must a winner keep playing before he's considered a "nit"?

fan-tum
04-29-2008, 03:43 PM
It's not cool to quit "winners", but where's that fine point where he says" I've given you plenty of chances,etc.?

MikeJanis
04-29-2008, 03:44 PM
You cant quit until the other guy is broke and shoots the famous Air-Barrel !

easy-e
04-29-2008, 03:45 PM
I have a better question. Who cares if someone calls them a nit?

poolplayer2093
04-29-2008, 03:48 PM
just let them know if only want to play a few sets. or let them know if you've only got one more in you. and like the guy above said we're all grown men/women who cares what someone else calls them

av84fun
04-29-2008, 03:56 PM
just let them know if only want to play a few sets. or let them know if you've only got one more in you. and like the guy above said we're all grown men/women who cares what someone else calls them

Right...and anyone that doesn't arrange, in advance, either the time limit or the number of sets to be played is a nit to begin with and deserves whatever he gets.

Ditto with a failure to post in advance.

Regards,
Jim

branpureza
04-29-2008, 04:00 PM
i would appreciate a 2 or 3 hour notice.

JoeyInCali
04-29-2008, 05:20 PM
i would appreciate a 2 or 3 hour notice.
CLASSIC!!!!:D

Snapshot9
04-29-2008, 07:23 PM
ask for a 2 set notice, that is to play 2 final sets before quitting, and I am not against doubling up on the money.

1pRoscoe
04-29-2008, 09:01 PM
Either way (up or down), I give a one hour notice....

mullyman
04-29-2008, 10:35 PM
I usually tell the person I'm playing after we finish a set that the next one or two will be the last.
MULLY

pletho
04-29-2008, 10:53 PM
Whatever happened to the long sessions where you do your very best to make the other guy quit by beating the pants off of him until he says "I QUIT" or wants more weight. Then you can quit.....

The guy that quits ahead in a gambling match is SCARED unless he has an emergency situation of some kind, any other time than that it is unexcusable to quit winner in my opinion...

The long sessions are where stamina comes in to play and you really find out who has heart, its easy to quit winner but to keep winning and really bust someone is hard to do and it takes digging deep down mentally.

The long sessions are where you gain in my opinion lots of seasoning and a solid heart for playing pool, so if you want to pull up winner you are only hurting yourself and what you could have won and achieved in your game.

You also lose action from players because no one wants to play someone who pulls up winner. I guess if you are on the road and moving on the next day you can get away with it because you will not be around for awhile but for local players this is detrimental to your future action at least with me....

So in my opinion pulling up winner makes you a NIT...

ShootingArts
04-29-2008, 10:59 PM
Some folks will always badmouth you. When gambling it is a courtesy to let someone know if you are dealing with a time limit and have a good idea when you will be quitting. If you are just tired a one or two set warning is nice and if they suggest it I will go along with jacking the bet enough to let them get roughly half of their money back if they win. If it has been a many hours long battle though I tend to tell them that I won it one game or set at a time, they'll have to get it back the same way! You can always set up another meeting.

Hu

easy-e
04-30-2008, 03:03 AM
Whatever happened to the long sessions where you do your very best to make the other guy quit by beating the pants off of him until he says "I QUIT" or wants more weight. Then you can quit.....

The guy that quits ahead in a gambling match is SCARED unless he has an emergency situation of some kind, any other time than that it is unexcusable to quit winner in my opinion...

The long sessions are where stamina comes in to play and you really find out who has heart, its easy to quit winner but to keep winning and really bust someone is hard to do and it takes digging deep down mentally.

The long sessions are where you gain in my opinion lots of seasoning and a solid heart for playing pool, so if you want to pull up winner you are only hurting yourself and what you could have won and achieved in your game.

You also lose action from players because no one wants to play someone who pulls up winner. I guess if you are on the road and moving on the next day you can get away with it because you will not be around for awhile but for local players this is detrimental to your future action at least with me....

I would bet you're the same kind of guy who would practically beg me to play. I would agree but tell you that I have to leave in three hours. You would be all nice to me and say that's okay because you "just want to do something". When my three hour mark comes up and I tell you I have to go, you start crying about the $50 you just lost and talk s**t to me for quitting winner.

Guys like you are the main reason I couldn't care less if someone calls me a nit.

Johnnyt
04-30-2008, 03:15 AM
Long, long sets just comes down to who has the better pills and how to take them. Johnnyt

ironman
04-30-2008, 03:59 AM
It's not cool to quit "winners", but where's that fine point where he says" I've given you plenty of chances,etc.?

Most of us locally know who we are playing and about what the time frame is. If he is a working guy and is usually out of there by 10;00 and informs me of that, I usually have no problem with it.

There are those though that love to win the first couple of sets and then announce they have time for one more. This is common in my neck of the woods and IMO a chicken s*** tactic, but, what can I do, I knew who I was playing when I started.

If playing 1-pocket and they win the first three and then say they have time for two more and then have to go. First class nits and I feel like the idiot for even playing them.

I guess my point is we all know the type and what to expect and if I get stuck to them, it really is my own fault. I still hate it though.

satman
04-30-2008, 05:31 AM

Some of us who have a real life, and job, don't have the stamina we had 25 years ago. I used to be able to play for 13 or 14 hours, and hate to go home. But the only way anyone wants to gamble now at a tournament, is after playing all day, and then they expect you to stay up all night. For those of us that don't do the chemicals, we might as well just give you the $$$$$$. I'll let someone know ahead of time, how long I can play. But I prefer to play ring games, so when I get tired, I can go.

thepavlos
04-30-2008, 05:35 AM
I usually know what time I need to leave so I can function the next day and how much money I have on me. So first I let them know until what time I'm playing otherwise I tell them when I have no more money; that pretty much covers any problem?????? Is it that hard for people to spell it out before they start?

easy-e
04-30-2008, 05:40 AM
I usually know what time I need to leave so I can function the next day and how much money I have on me. So first I let them know until what time I'm playing otherwise I tell them when I have no more money; that pretty much covers any problem?????? Is it that hard for people to spell it out before they start?

That's very common for people to do. The problem is when Mr. Nice Guy who agreed to your two hour time limit is stuck at the end of the set and b***ches and complains and calls you a nit. Gamble and play with your buddies, it keeps pool fun.

Pii
04-30-2008, 05:42 AM
Whatever happened to the long sessions where you do your very best to make the other guy quit by beating the pants off of him until he says "I QUIT"

I can't play like that anymore. Do you think it's fair for a 55 year old with a job and family to have to play an jobless18 year old gambling addict pool hall junkie 24 hours or more ?:confused:

If I quit up I will give you the chance to play another day and another and another until you quit. Who says you have to make them QUIT in one session?

easy-e
04-30-2008, 05:44 AM
I can't play like that anymore. Do you think it's fair for a 55 year old with a job and family to have to play an jobless18 year old gambling addict pool hall junkie 24 hours or more ?:confused:

If I quit up I will give you the chance to play another day and another and another until you quit. Who says you have to make them QUIT in one session?

Very well said!

Patrick Johnson
04-30-2008, 06:03 AM
If you're not ready to lose, you're not ready to gamble. If you think you're owed something because you lost, you're the nit.

pj
chgo

mullyman
04-30-2008, 06:15 AM
What a crock of horseshit! Quitting a winner doesn't make you a nit. WTF are you supposed to do? Keep playing until you're even or losing? GTF outta here with that crap. The only people that gripe about the winner quitting are the ones that lose anyway. Some of us have jobs. We get up at 6:00am to go to those jobs. I'm supposed to sit up all night because you're not good enough to win? If you don't want to lose then don't bet. It's that simple. Someone has to lose. I can't understand the thought processes of someone that thinks the winner quitting is a nit. Like I should hang around so you can win your money back. If that's the case then let's just play for fun and no one gets hurt.

A guy propositioned me one night for 10 bucks a rack in 9-ball. I told him before we started that he shouldn't do that because he wasn't even going to get one game. He wanted to do it anyway. I had him down 18 straight racks, and started begging him to quit around the tenth rack, but he wanted to keep going. I even told the other guys in the pool room to talk some sense into him. He wouldn't have it. Now, I'm not talking myself up. This guy was a weekend warrior. He wasn't even good enough to be C-class. He's one of those guys that probably goes out and shoots pool with his friends once every couple of months. Of course he didn't stand a chance. He couldn't even hold the cue correctly. I felt horrible for taking his money but he wouldn't quit. I quit him after that 18th rack.
MULLY

mullyman
04-30-2008, 06:18 AM
If you're not ready to lose, you're not ready to gamble. If you think you're owed something because you lost, you're the nit.

pj
chgo

Amen.
MULLY

1pRoscoe
04-30-2008, 06:35 AM
Which makes you the guy that I cannot stand to play.... Regardless, if I win playing you, I still lose.....

-Ross
has a great job

Southpaw
04-30-2008, 06:40 AM
If I like the game and Im winning....I will play until he quits or hes broke. Why would anyone want to quit a game they have the best of anyway?

Southpaw

Fatboy
04-30-2008, 06:44 AM
You cant quit until the other guy is broke and shoots the famous Air-Barrel !

this is 100% correct, besides if your winning why the hell would want to stop? do you hate $$$?

When i'm winning and they are paying I believe in keepig my customers happy.

Beware_of_Dawg
04-30-2008, 06:45 AM
Why would anyone want to quit a game they have the best of anyway?

having a life for starters.

a wife. a job. a newborn.

Tim-n-NM
04-30-2008, 06:46 AM
Long, long sets just comes down to who has the better pills and how to take them. Johnnyt
I think this is true dang near everywhere you go. So I play for a certain amount of time nowadays.

Southpaw
04-30-2008, 06:46 AM
having a life for starters.

a wife. a job. a newborn.

Then you shouldnt be gambling to start with...keep your priorities in check....

Southpaw

ShootingArts
04-30-2008, 06:47 AM
If I like the game and Im winning....I will play until he quits or hes broke. Why would anyone want to quit a game they have the best of anyway?

Southpaw

As mentioned, many of us have lives outside the pool room. Also, I'm usually not just there to rob pilgrims. I'll bail if there isn't a snowball's chance in hell of the other person coming back and they won't quit unless they are known to me as action players that are used to taking their lumps and winning their share too.

Hu

Southpaw
04-30-2008, 06:51 AM
As mentioned, many of us have lives outside the pool room. Also, I'm usually not just there to rob pilgrims. I'll bail if there isn't a snowball's chance in hell of the other person coming back and they won't quit unless they are known to me as action players that are used to taking their lumps and winning their share too.

Hu

So you are saying that if you are in a game and you know your opponent cant win...you will quit for their sake???? Give me a break. As soon as they fail to pay off at then end of a set, then its over. JMO.

Southpaw

Blackjack
04-30-2008, 06:54 AM
I'll leave whenever I feel like leaving. My life doesn't revolve around giving somebody multiple opportunities to win back something they couldn't afford to lose in the first place.

I prefer not to gamble with my money these days. I have my reasons, and I couldn't care less what anybody thinks about that. The last time I played for money I was in the black, and I'm still owed money I will never see.

The word "nit" is tossed around loosely these days and it is usually used to mislabel somebody. The definition of a nit is somebody that plays when it is always a "sure thing" that they are going to win. This includes heartless players that automatically ask for too much weight - or refuse to offer weight to players they should leave alone.

About 12 years ago, Keith McCready was in El Paso and giving up the orange crush - the wild six - and he was offering the weight. He booked some winners, and he booked some losers - but he always had the heart of hundred lions every time he stroked the cue ball. Nits ask for weight when they don't need it - and won't give it up when it is appropriate to do so. Keith always offered the spot - and that is how he earned the respect he has today. There's a lot to learn by looking at that,

These days it takes more time for guys to come to terms than it takes to play the set. The loser always wants another set to win their money back, sometimes this goes on for hours. Most of the time they agree to an agreed amount of sets - then it turns into a series of giving the guy more chances than he deserves. If you lose, take it like a man, shake the guy's hand and come back another day and try again.

I remember when Keith was in my room, he was asking guys what he'd have to give up to get them in the box for "X" amount of money. Keith would drill them to the point where they understood that they had no chance to win, even if Keith gave up the break and the wild 2... lol...

My advice, tell the guy when you have to leave before you start playing, or agree to how many sets you are willing to play BEFOREHAND. If you lose and your one of those guys that believes I need to stick around for 10 sets, or give up the 6 so you can have a chance to win, take up quilting - you're in the wrong game.

Beware_of_Dawg
04-30-2008, 06:56 AM
Then you shouldnt be gambling to start with...keep your priorities in check....

Southpaw

if i'm winning and your crying, my priorities aren't the ones you should be checking.

Southpaw
04-30-2008, 06:58 AM
if i'm winning and your crying, my priorities aren't the ones you should be checking.

Ummmmmmmmmm.....ok??????

Southpaw

Craig Fales
04-30-2008, 07:01 AM
I would bet you're the same kind of guy who would practically beg me to play. I would agree but tell you that I have to leave in three hours. You would be all nice to me and say that's okay because you "just want to do something". When my three hour mark comes up and I tell you I have to go, you start crying about the $50 you just lost and talk s**t to me for quitting winner.

Guys like you are the main reason I couldn't care less if someone calls me a nit.
This is what I get alot. I usually play for a certain amount of sets and when the guy flips for another set past what we agreed on he gets shitty with me. MEH, people are always sore losers and I just take their money and move on. :D

ShootingArts
04-30-2008, 07:05 AM
So you are saying that if you are in a game and you know your opponent cant win...you will quit for their sake???? Give me a break. As soon as they fail to pay off at then end of a set, then its over. JMO.

Southpaw

There was a time period or two I gambled for a living and shooting fish in a barrel was part of it. I really didn't enjoy pool that much in those days but times were hard and I had bills to pay and mouths to feed. On the other hand the most fun I ever had playing pool was in a long battle with a top road player. It was a very tough grind. In the end I edged him by a little playing on my home ground. Had we been on neutral ground or his home ground the results would almost certainly have been different.

Many of us don't play pool primarily to make a buck. I'm not a gambler. I went to Reno and didn't gamble a nickel. I loved horse racing and often bet when I was at the track but I have never bet a nickel in an off track parlor either. Cards aren't my thing. Wagering on my skills is a different matter.

I don't bet with friends and as I mentioned, I don't rob pilgrims. My personal choices. Everyone has to make their own and I don't try to impose my values on others. You can't and won't impose yours on me.

Hu

Southpaw
04-30-2008, 07:06 AM
There was a time period or two I gambled for a living and shooting fish in a barrel was part of it. I really didn't enjoy pool that much in those days but times were hard and I had bills to pay and mouths to feed. On the other hand the most fun I ever had playing pool was in a long battle with a top road player. It was a very tough grind. In the end I edged him by a little playing on my home ground. Had we been on neutral ground or his home ground the results would almost certainly have been different.

Many of us don't play pool primarily to make a buck. I'm not a gambler. I went to Reno and didn't gamble a nickel. I loved horse racing and often bet when I was at the track but I have never bet a nickel in an off track parlor either. Cards aren't my thing. Wagering on my skills is a different matter.

I don't bet with friends and as I mentioned, I don't rob pilgrims. My personal choices. Everyone has to make their own and I don't try to impose my values on others. You can't and won't impose yours on me.

Hu

Fair enough...good post.

Southpaw

Madcity
04-30-2008, 07:47 AM
How long must a winner keep playing before he's considered a "nit"?

If you have to ask this question, chances are that you're a nit.

If not a nit don't worry about it, water will seek its own level. In other words your reputation will precede you. People will choose to play you or not based on past performance. Be it your table speed or how you gamble.

Mike Templeton
04-30-2008, 08:05 AM
What I'm seeing is that there are several different layers of pool gamblers. The one's who do it for a living, the one's who have few other financial priorities, the one's with jobs (and families), old and young, the ones opposed to chemicals and some who don't mind artificial stimulation, etc....

Neither is better than the other IMO. We all do what we feel comfortable doing. I think the problems occur when family guy gets hooked up gambling with all-nighter. Then there are differences in what constitutes gambling honor or courtesy. Each cannot (or doesn't) see the other's point of view, and that's where the differences are. I don't think either type is wrong in their beleifs, they just have different ideas and opinions on what is expected or acceptable.

I'm kinda like Shootingarts. At one time I hit it pretty hard. Now with a job and many years behind me, It's hard to play all night and get up for work, and I don't really enjoy the long sessions anymore. I do still make a few extra bucks at weekly tournaments, and social sets and ring games are fun. But if I'm up in a big money or marathon game, you can bet on me. I've probably got the best of it to be there :) .

Mike

BRKNRUN
04-30-2008, 09:16 AM
For anyone that ever asks why more and more pool players are now playing cards....Just refer them to this thread.

It just boggles my mind that since I have a family and job as my first priorities over pool and can no longer stay out all hours of the night that "I should not be gambling" .....lest I be referred to as a nit.....If I set a time limit before the match starts and the guy gets all bent out of shape about me having to leave when the time is up....I would call the guy getting all bent out of shape more of a nit...Not the guy that has put a family and job higher on the priority list than being in a pool room for three days at a clip...

I can understand the claim on someone who makes no mention of time limit when starting a session and then after two or three games up they all of a sudden come out with the "Oh I got to go" routine........I Don't know that I would refer to them as a "nit" though...I would refer to them as a hustler......Since they hustled you in to letting them get up two or three games so they can quit a game they know they probably can't win in the long run......Fact is they just played on your greed...

Anyway...I have a little different defenition of what I call a "nit"...To me a nit is someone that comes at you barking for a game and once the game is set and you have them stuck a few they start wanting to "adjust".

Cuebacca
04-30-2008, 09:54 AM
If you're worried about someone quitting on you when they are up, just establish beforehand how many sets you want to play, or establish that only the loser can quit, or freeze up more money at the beginning.

You have just as much responsibility to communicate your minimum gambling time as the other guy does to let you know his maximum gambling time. The courtesy goes both ways.

A deal is a deal, but "no deal" is not a deal. JMO.

satman
04-30-2008, 10:09 AM

Hu

That's exactly how I feel. We all have to make choices, and live with them. When I was in Insurance school a long time ago, {no I don't sell insurance} they taught us this saying, "do the right thing, because it's the right thing to do, not because you're afraid of getting caught." Unfortunately, most people don't live like that.

Thunderball
04-30-2008, 10:16 AM
Great thread.I've often wondered this same thing.

I suppose I just don't run in these circles?

I only gamble a little here and there,but when I do,quitting "winner" is the F'n point lol.

I'm really missing the "big picture" here for sure....quitting "loser" means I did it wrong,does it not?

Craig Fales
04-30-2008, 10:26 AM

I say the same thing to people who are local to me. They walk away all teary eyed thinking I won't play 'em again. :confused:

Poolfiend
04-30-2008, 10:54 AM
I gamble on a weekly basis, but it is always with people that are local. If I am up and have to go they know I will be back soon and we will play again. I typically stay until the room closes anyway. However, I would not quit someone if the guy was from out of town.

Reminds me of a story. SVB was in town a year or two ago, playing our local shortstop. Can't remember what the spot was, but our local hero was up about a grand when the room closed. At one point they were playing for 3K a set. Shane wanted to go to another pool hall across town that stayed open late. Our local declined, but offered to play the next day. SVB declined and went home. Nobody called anybody else a nit. Everyone was very respectful and understood the other person's position. Take it for what it is worth. If the room had stayed open later they would have played until it closed or until the loser was broke.

9 on the snap
04-30-2008, 12:14 PM
I will gamble until one of us is out of money. I have my gamblin' wad, and when it's done I'm done. I get busted from time to time, but that's what makes it gambling. I NEVER pass up an oportunity to bust someone, because at the end of the day thats what it's about. If I am up I will play as long as the guy wants. I respect the fact that he keeps trying until he's busted, because thats the way I play as well. I have a life outside of the pool room as well, but who walks away from an ATM spittin' out 20's? Not this guy.:D

Andrew Manning
04-30-2008, 12:41 PM
Thread title:
"How long must a winner keep playing before he's considered a "nit"?"

A winner will play until it is not worthwhile to him, for whatever reason, to play anymore.

Someone who gets ahead but keeps playing as long as it takes to lose it back again is not a winner at all.

Example:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8HrnkJgQQE

-Andrew

Gerry
04-30-2008, 12:44 PM
for one thing I never understood the whole "your not a gambler unless you play til your broke or he's broke" thing.....I rarely if ever ask for weight when I gamble, I do give out weight to make games. My point being, I'm there to see who plays better....the money is secondary to me.

This whole thread IMO comes down to negotiation. Set up the parameters BEFORE starting to play.

The reason a thread like this gets heated is because of all the different points of view.....some gamble>>>

to see who plays better.

to make a living.

to see who can outlast the other.

you just have to pick your point of view, then certain posts make sense or not.

G.

crawfish
04-30-2008, 01:01 PM
Yesteryears, it would depend on who it was. But, after recent events, I have a different viewpoint. I want to get paid after every ball during the runout. If we are playing $10 a game, you owe me $1.11 per ball. If I don't make the nine, I'll pay you back. Exact change, also. If you go to the bar, I'm gonna go with you. I actually wear one of those changers on my waist. If we are playing by the set, post up with my sister. Trust noone.

Seriously, if you have to ask, you need to spend more time in a "hostile" poolroom. You'll get the drift.