PDA

View Full Version : Bud Hypes beat Wimpy?

Zorro
04-29-2008, 09:57 PM
Where did this story get started? I remember Lassiter describing how he ran into Bud Hypes in Mullins, WVA and played him for three days or so before he got even. As I recall they played on a 4X8 which was what Bud was accustomed to playing on. Now I hear a story that Bud beat Wimpy 8 out of 9 times. I just don't think it happened. I think it was just as Wimpy described. It took him two or three days of playing to get back even. He told other hustlers to scratch Mullins off their list.

av84fun
04-29-2008, 10:59 PM
Where did this story get started? I remember Lassiter describing how he ran into Bud Hypes in Mullins, WVA and played him for three days or so before he got even. As I recall they played on a 4X8 which was what Bud was accustomed to playing on. Now I hear a story that Bud beat Wimpy 8 out of 9 times. I just don't think it happened. I think it was just as Wimpy described. It took him two or three days of playing to get back even. He told other hustlers to scratch Mullins off their list.

I haven't heard that story but I don't think that any human being ever beat Lassiter 8 of 9 times.

Regards,
Jim

traa89
04-29-2008, 11:21 PM
I have my doubts but when and if you find out. Let us know!

jay helfert
04-29-2008, 11:29 PM
NO ONE could ever beat Bud Hypes in his home room on the 8' table. He did beat quite a few good players until the word got around. Wimpy may have tried him once or twice and given up. He was smart enough to know when he had bad action.