PDA

View Full Version : Best place to play in... Liberty City?

ScottW
04-30-2008, 05:36 AM
Now that you're done scratching your head... "Liberty City?"...

The newest game in the "Grand Theft Auto" franchise came out a couple of nights, ago, "Grand Theft Auto IV" (GTAIV). The GTA games have always had a variety of mini-games in them - this one has... yes, it's topical... here it comes... pool. :P

Here's someones YouTube video from the game - they're using another language for the text, so don't sweat that. It's a ten minute video - just slide over to the eight-minute mark (you don't have to wait for it to load up) and bask in the digital uberness of GTAIV pool.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=I1e11GM8drc

It's really kinda clunky - there's no real way to get down and really "see" a shot. Either you're looking from right down the stick (you can't "raise your head" so to speak at all) or you're looking straight down on the table.

You can do follow/draw/side english if you want, but you can't really do a good power shot - breaks are always wanting.

Enjoy :D

Vahmurka
05-01-2008, 11:12 AM
GTA is a very good series of games! Thanks for telling us some nice detail.

uwate
05-01-2008, 12:32 PM
damn i know a liberty city right here in miami and you would have to have nads of steel to try to get down and play there. downtown miami...right next to the old heat arena. where the city burned in riots a number of years back. still scary as hell at night and during the day even.

DoomCue
05-01-2008, 12:51 PM
Now that you're done scratching your head... "Liberty City?"...

The newest game in the "Grand Theft Auto" franchise came out a couple of nights, ago, "Grand Theft Auto IV" (GTAIV). The GTA games have always had a variety of mini-games in them - this one has... yes, it's topical... here it comes... pool. :P

Here's someones YouTube video from the game - they're using another language for the text, so don't sweat that. It's a ten minute video - just slide over to the eight-minute mark (you don't have to wait for it to load up) and bask in the digital uberness of GTAIV pool.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=I1e11GM8drc

It's really kinda clunky - there's no real way to get down and really "see" a shot. Either you're looking from right down the stick (you can't "raise your head" so to speak at all) or you're looking straight down on the table.

You can do follow/draw/side english if you want, but you can't really do a good power shot - breaks are always wanting.

Enjoy :D
I bought this Wednesday and I've played the bowling and pool mini-games (darts is also available, but I haven't played that yet). The rules for 8-ball are strange. There's the usual BIH on fouls, but if you make an opponent's ball, even after making a good hit on your own group, it's BIH for your opponent. You don't have to call the pocket for any balls, not even the 8-ball.

The GTA series has caught a lot of flak over the years for their games, but GTA IV is quite different from the first 3. It still is (and should be) rated MA, but the main character seems to have a bit of a conscience, and it's paramount to build relationships with other characters. This is the first game in 9 years to get ratings of 10 across the board from IGN.com (http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/869/869381p1.html).

-djb

lodini
05-01-2008, 01:06 PM
damn i know a liberty city right here in miami and you would have to have nads of steel to try to get down and play there. downtown miami...right next to the old heat arena. where the city burned in riots a number of years back. still scary as hell at night and during the day even.
LOL, I was thinking the exact same thing! It's the last place I'd be looking to go play pool:p