PDA

View Full Version : OT:Annoying gifs above sigs

JoeyInCali
04-30-2008, 07:57 AM
Am I alone in getting annoyed by Cocobolo Cowboy's animated gif inside the message box on ALL of his messages?

sde
04-30-2008, 07:59 AM
Am I alone in getting annoyed by Cocobolo Cowboy's animated gif inside the message box on ALL of his messages?

No you are not alone! And the post below make me think that he is now doing it to intensionally pi$$ people off.

Steve

CocoboloCowboy
04-30-2008, 08:02 AM
No.http://www.geocities.com/cocobolocowboy/wave.gifhttp://www.geocities.com/cocobolocowboy/wave.gifhttp://www.geocities.com/cocobolocowboy/wave.gif

JoeyInCali
04-30-2008, 08:04 AM
Thanks Bruce. Now, you can get rid of it , if you understood the question.

sde
04-30-2008, 08:07 AM
No.http://www.geocities.com/cocobolocowboy/wave.gifhttp://www.geocities.com/cocobolocowboy/wave.gifhttp://www.geocities.com/cocobolocowboy/wave.gif

Not funny!

Johnnyt
04-30-2008, 08:13 AM
Could all the animation be causing the site to be slowed down or freeze? Johnnyt

catscradle
04-30-2008, 08:16 AM

You are not alone. They are annoying and generally bear no relationship to the text of his message. I've always found animated gifs to be kind of "honky-tonk".

Jude Rosenstock
04-30-2008, 08:18 AM
Could all the animation be causing the site to be slowed down or freeze? Johnnyt

Unlikely. Everything you upload has a size limit. It's no different than most of the photos that are posted here.

Jude Rosenstock
04-30-2008, 08:19 AM
You are not alone. They are annoying and generally bear no relationship to the text of his message. I've always found animated gifs to be kind of "honky-tonk".

I agree with this. I actually think Cowboy's is a bit more tasteful than most. Some are out of control.

Johnnyt
04-30-2008, 08:20 AM
Unlikely. Everything you upload has a size limit. It's no different than most of the photos that are posted here.

OK thank you. Johnnyt

CocoboloCowboy
04-30-2008, 08:26 AM

I am on a Dialup connection, and when the weather is right, the moon is right, and the dog has not moved the wire connecting the computer to the telephone, everything work find except really big photo that are slow. http://www.geocities.com/cocobolocowboy/cheerleader.gif

Beware_of_Dawg
04-30-2008, 09:45 AM
go to the user CP option at the top of the page (click)... go to edit options (click) scroll down till you see this option...

Visible Post Elements

You have the option to show or hide various elements of messages, which may be of use to users on slow internet connections, or who want to remove extraneous clutter from posts.
[X]Show Signatures
[X]Show Avatars
[X]Show Images (including attached images and images in [IMG] code)

unlick the show signatures option. you will not longer see any gif signatures.

~D4\/\/G~

MOJOE
04-30-2008, 09:57 AM
You could also simply put him on your ignore list. That way you don't have to look at any of his posts. (That's what I did) DWYW!

James
04-30-2008, 09:59 AM

Am I alone in getting annoyed by Cocobolo Cowboy's existence?

Black-Balled
04-30-2008, 10:33 AM
Am I alone in getting annoyed by Cocobolo Cowboy's existence?
Sheeeeat no!

He was banned for a while, but he appears to have begged/ cried/ weaseled his way back. Too bad for us.

James
04-30-2008, 10:45 AM
Sheeeeat no!

He was banned for a while, but he appears to have begged/ cried/ weaseled his way back. Too bad for us.

Bring back the Cock Sparrer avatar ;)

SCCues
04-30-2008, 11:13 AM
I don't know how much the animation slows the site, but you can be sure it isn't speeding anything up! If you add up all of the posts with animation then they probably do have an effect on the site.

James

CocoboloCowboy
04-30-2008, 11:32 AM
You could also simply put him on your ignore list. That way you don't have to look at any of his posts. (That's what I did) DWYW!

I ignore no one post, as you can never predict what anyone will say, and if they were ignored, you might not glean some great information.,http://www.geocities.com/cocobolocowboy/arff.gif

BVal
04-30-2008, 11:36 AM
People aren't worried about putting you on ignore.

BVal

I ignore no one post, as you can never predict what anyone will say, and if they were ignored, you might not glean some great information.,http://www.geocities.com/cocobolocowboy/arff.gif

leehayes
04-30-2008, 11:37 AM
wow....people on here are just getting way too touchy about such non issues.

JoeyInCali
04-30-2008, 11:40 AM
go to the user CP option at the top of the page (click)... go to edit options (click) scroll down till you see this option...

Visible Post Elements

You have the option to show or hide various elements of messages, which may be of use to users on slow internet connections, or who want to remove extraneous clutter from posts.
[X]Show Signatures
[X]Show Avatars

~D4\/\/G~
Thanks, did that. Much better now.
Joey~Likes to read posts not watch animated gifs over and over again~

whitey2
04-30-2008, 11:40 AM

In a word, no...

The animated GIFs he uses are very small in size, and have a very insignificant impact on the site's "speed".

Once they are loaded into your computer, they are using your computer's compute cycles (processor power) to perform the animation.

Now, the "funny pic" thread, is a whole different matter! :)

Jigger
04-30-2008, 11:43 AM
CocoCowboy annoying? No way. Consider Hypnoticz ! Like fingernails on a chalk board.:(

BRKNRUN
04-30-2008, 11:47 AM

I "could" name a couple posters that will never post anything worth actually reading........But everyone already knows who those two are........;)

stuckart
04-30-2008, 11:47 AM
BRKNRUN and I were discussing this the other day. If it wasn't CocoboloCowboy that we found annoying, it would be some other dim wit. It could always be worse!

lodini
04-30-2008, 12:03 PM

Visible Post Elements

[X]Show Signatures
[X]Show Avatars

~D4\/\/G~

Yes, this is an option... but this is the suggestion anytime people complain about anything. (Avatars, Images, etc.) In my opinion, having to block ALL signatures because Cocobolo Cowboy's is freaking annoying means that you will miss out on a lot of good signatures too. Same with avatars and images. So, if a lot of people are annoyed by his signature, should everyone have to suffer by blocking all signatures? Or could he just be decent and take it down?:rolleyes:

akaTrigger
04-30-2008, 12:41 PM
BRKNRUN and I were discussing this the other day. If it wasn't CocoboloCowboy that we found annoying, it would be some other dim wit. It could always be worse!

I've actually never thought that his animated gifs were annoying; never even crossed my mind. Stuckart makes a good point.

Pushout
04-30-2008, 12:51 PM
I "could" name a couple posters that will never post anything worth actually reading........But everyone already knows who those two are........;)

LOL!!! I'm sure most of us could. Rep for you.

Koop
04-30-2008, 12:57 PM

Yep. He is the only one on my ignore list for that reason alone.

sde
04-30-2008, 03:25 PM

I'm not sure if I know who you aare referring to.

Hope it's not me! :eek: :eek:

Steve

Hal
04-30-2008, 04:14 PM
I'm on dial up also. I'm forced to turn off my signatures because of a select few inconsiderate asses.

sde
04-30-2008, 04:26 PM
I'm on dial up also. I'm forced to turn off my signatures because of a select few inconsiderate asses.

Do you want to tell us how you really feel?

I've had signatures turned off for quite awhile, not because of the speed of the connection, but because it often took so long just to scroll past them all.

I know that I may miss something I'd like to see because they are turned off..it just make life soooo much easier.

Steve

gutshot
04-30-2008, 04:39 PM
I'm more tired of seeing 95% of Cowboy's posts contributing absolutely nothing to the thread at hand. :)

TX Poolnut
04-30-2008, 04:48 PM
I've has signatures turned off for at least two years. My AZ experience is MUCH better without them.

hoosier_cues
04-30-2008, 04:52 PM
I personally think you are perdicktable. I feel if you said something its not worth reading. JMO I have been wrong before.

mullyman
04-30-2008, 04:55 PM
Doesn't bother me. Too many personalities on a message board. Learn to live with them because you, figuratively speaking, probably do something that they don't like.
MULLY
half naked women in avatars bother me more. children have access to this forum.

Travis Bickle
04-30-2008, 07:00 PM
What a relief for the eyes, turning off sigs. Now please, no &%$#! pasting!

Jeff
04-30-2008, 07:17 PM
If you use Firefox you can just block his sig stuff. Ad Block Plus

http://www.geocities.com/cocobolocowboy

That way he doesn't force you to turn off ALL sigs.

JesPiddlin
04-30-2008, 07:59 PM
I am not bothered by his busy sig. And his posts aren't annoying as some of the others out there.

I think the sig that always bothered me most was the huge pic that (I think) said something about not wanting your business to look bad, or something like that. I don't know what about it was so bothersome, but it used to really aggravate me, so I got to where I'd scroll past it quickly, so it wouldn't mess with me, so bad.

Quite often, folks post huge pics and I have to scroll to the right to see them all. (Now, THAT irritates me!) After that, I normally just continue to scroll down and who posted isn't visible on the left, so the only way I have of knowing who posted what (without scrolling back to the left) is if someone has a sig. Since I pay little attention to sigs, whenever I'm dealing with the annoying wide page threads, the few sigs that catch my attention are the ones I know so well, which helps me relate better to the thread, too.

I always liked Fast Lenny's animated sigs. Those are some of my favs.

As for the funny pics thread, I am quite glad it exists. I've had some tough times, lately. Sometimes, just turning on my computer and reading that thread makes my whole day worth getting through. If someone doesn't like the thread, they don't have to read it. There are some rather questionable things posted once in a while, but the pics and jokes that make me laugh unexpectedly and aren't x-rated are the best, ever!

If you don't like the funny pics thread, don't read it. There are lots of other great threads on this forum.

I haven't had a lot of opportunity to play pool, lately, so this forum has been my biggest connection to the game. I'm really glad it's here.

sde... you're doing GREAT. Keep up the good work on the funny pics thread.

bigskyjake
04-30-2008, 08:11 PM
I'm more tired of seeing 95% of Cowboy's posts contributing absolutely nothing to the thread at hand. :)

True enough, I've put him on ignore so I don't have to see all that stupid gif shit and his posts that have no bearing on the thread subject