PDA

View Full Version : "Ahead" games vs. sets vs. single games

hang-the-9
04-30-2008, 10:04 AM
When would you pick to play these types of games? Is it only what your opponent wants to play, is there a preferrence of one over the others to match a playing ability or style?

I would think an Ahead game would be an advandage to the better player more so than sets, if there is no spot.

Craig Fales
04-30-2008, 10:13 AM
If you and your opponent are close in speed noone is going anywhere fast. I'd play sets in that case, then in a win all their games mean nothing. the same could be said for "Ahead" games aswell. if you're closely matched you could be in for a long night. That's one reason I always specify clearly how many games or sets I'll play, win, lose or draw. I love to play pool but I've got ADD bad and need to move to something else soon. :D

iba7467
04-30-2008, 10:14 AM
"Ahead" sets are usually grueling, torturous affairs. It means that short bursts of good play can be offset by good play by the opponent. In a race, this burst may be the entire set. I have seen many sets be decided within one or two games; ahead sets eliminate that.

If you are the better player an ahead set means you can relax a little and not show as much speed. This is perfect if you are baiting other players into matches. If you play races and the other guy plays a few games well, you may have to come with some strong play and scare the other fish.

The disadvantage is that if one ahead set takes either too long to play another or is over so quickly the other player feels they cannot win... you will likely only win one set before the opponent pulls up.