PDA

View Full Version : First "Pro" Event

ForumGhost516
04-30-2008, 10:11 AM
Hey everyone i am playing in my first pro event on sunday of this week coming. it is the blaze tour stop at leisure time billiards in ny. I am a little nervous as i know i probably shouldnt be playing in it but i need the experience if i am ever to play in an event like this again. Basically my biggest fear is making a fool of myself completely looking like a total amateur when i know i can shoot well when i am on. Thats the hard part though i guess getting "on" or in the zone. Anyone have any advice? I know there are a lot of you out there in AZ land who have played in a lot of tournaments so any advice would be really helpful. Oh and totally forgot to mention have work today tomorrow friday and saturday so practice is pretty much screwed lol. PLEASE HELP.

Dagwoodz
04-30-2008, 10:18 AM
I play in Shannon's events all the time down here in the south with little chance of doing anything in them. All you have to worry about is having fun. Don't go there with any expectations about your performance and the rest will take care of itself. Worrying about whether or not you are going to make a fool out of yourself is just going to make you shoot worse. Getting your feet wet in tournaments like these has a pretty steep learning curve for most people. So soak in the experience of being around some great players, learn what you can, shoot to the best of your ability in that situation, and above all, have FUN!

As far as the practice situation vs. work goes, get what practice you can in. But it's like cramming for a test, not really the best way to prepare.

Good luck and have a blast!
Dags

Blackjack
04-30-2008, 10:21 AM
Relax, view it as a learning experience, and above all else...have fun!

If you meet some of the more experienced players, ask a lot of questions, or just sweat a match or two with them and pick their brain... you'd be surprised how much you will learn (way back when I had a mullet, I did this with David Howard and Buddy Hall - priceless knowledge!!!)

If you're nervous about playing, don't worry about it, everybody gets the butterflies in their stomach - even Efren. Just remember that everybody has to start somewhere, and this is just another step in your progression as a player.

Good luck!

JAM
04-30-2008, 10:23 AM
I play in Shannon's events all the time down here in the south with little chance of doing anything in them. All you have to worry about is having fun. Don't go there with any expectations about your performance and the rest will take care of itself. Worrying about whether or not you are going to make a fool out of yourself is just going to make you shoot worse. Getting your feet wet in tournaments like these has a pretty steep learning curve for most people. So soak in the experience of being around some great players, learn what you can, shoot to the best of your ability in that situation, and above all, have FUN!

As far as the practice situation vs. work goes, get what practice you can in. But it's like cramming for a test, not really the best way to prepare.

Good luck and have a blast!
Dags

This is probably the best advice. Be sure to have fun. That is what it is all about.

Playing pool and having fun while you are doing it is rewarding, much more so than playing professionally.

JAM

cleary
04-30-2008, 10:29 AM
Its nothing to worry about. Ive never been to a Blaze event, but I dont think many pros show up. Maybe 5 or 6 tops and a bunch of open, A speed players. But im sure the field is pretty balanced with D-Bs.

Just do your best and dont let better players get to you. The only person that can beat you is yourself.

ForumGhost516
04-30-2008, 10:41 AM
I just want to say thanks so far for the great insight it really is making me feel a lot more comfortable with the whole situaqtion you guys are great keep it coming.

Neil
04-30-2008, 11:00 AM

Salamander
04-30-2008, 11:35 AM
My first "pro-event" was Reno a number of years ago. I was extrememly nervous, and could not get to sleep at night because I was so anxious. When the matches started, I actually got the "shakes", and missed a relatively easy shot immediately. As I sat down and watched my opponent run out, I realized that I could have done that and I determined that I would concentrate on simply making each shot that I was presented with. My mantra was "one shot at a time". Try and be indifferent to missed shots, just do your best when presented with an opportunity at the table.

At any rate, I surprised myself and won my first two matches. The first player was an "unknown", but he played very well. The 2nd player, was Richard Grenier (an excellent and well regarded one pocket player). I actually played damn near perfect against Richard and ended up victorious by something like 9 to 3. To this day, I actually remember some of the runouts because I was so mentally focused on that match.

My next match was against Troy Frank, and I was very confident having gambled against him in the past. I was most certainly an underdog, but felt that I had a chance based on my last performance. Wrong. I ran the first rack, and then basically sat while he ran out the set. What few opportunities I did have were ruined because I let his terrific play get to me. I lost sight of the "one ball at a time mantra" that I had in my previous matches. I made really dumb mental mistakes.

My last match was against a pro who's name I can't seem to recall right now. I lost something like 9 to 6, but I remember that the match could have gone either way. After losing, I watched John Schmidt lose 9 to 0 against Max Eberle. The moral to the story is that great players don't always play well in every match.

My long winded advice is play every ball with the same care and intensity regardless of the score. Also, play smart, if you don't feel pretty darn confident of making a shot....play safe.

Enjoy,

Doug

Vinman
04-30-2008, 11:50 AM
I think the key to enjoying these open tournaments is to relax, have fun, and to try to learn from playing better players. Patiently wait for your opportunities and when they come, make the most of them.

MOJOE
04-30-2008, 12:03 PM
I play in as many as I can which only amounts to a few a year. I used to get as nervous as a chihuahua crapping glass but have learned to have fun.

I have beat a few pro's even though I realize that they will beat me 9 of 10 times. When I first started to play in them I pressured myself way too much and it was not much fun. Once I learned to let go and enjoy the game for what it is...a game, I really enjoy playing the big dogs. That is why I work so hard on my game, to be tested.

I can play guys my speed or weaker on league night every week! Tell yourself that it's just a game. Enjoy your success as well as your opponents and you'll be just fine. Learning to lose gracefully has been one of my greatest accomplishments at this game. Sounds nutz but it's true.

Have fun!

MOJOE

Salamander
04-30-2008, 12:13 PM
Learning to lose gracefully has been one of my greatest accomplishments at this game. Sounds nutz but it's true.

MOJOE

Amen to that. Well said.